Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Winter is Coming

Search this Thread

Old 10/1/15, 06:32 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by 2014GHIGGT
Best thing for these cars is to let them hibernate in winter. Keeps the chassis free of corrosion. Buy a cheap beater and drive it when it rains and snows. Your mustang will thank you.
Cheap beaters still cost money (a lot of money in places like Michigan...), and won't be as fun as my Mustang.

It's going to rust anyways just from driving during summer months. The salt ain't gonna make it happen that much quicker...been around the block a few times with old cars and michigan weather (winter and otherwise).
Old 10/2/15, 05:32 AM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
Mine doesn't see snow, and it's not driven intentionally in the rain, although I have been caught in a couple of unexpected showers. I can live with that.

Like many of you, my Mustang is relegated to the garage in the winter. Last year was it's first hibernation and I drove it until the first snowfall. I'll do a major detailing including polishing and wax at season's end and then put it under a cover. I do let it run once a week for 15 minutes or so.

My "beater" is a '14 EB Fusion which I leased in Dec of '14 for $225 p/mo. Hindsight is 20/20, but I should have gotten a Focus hatchback and saved $50-$75 a month. I'm retired and have put less than 2500 miles on the Fusion. I have no fear of winter driving, but won't go out in it unless it's necessary. What a waste.

By comparison, I woke up the Mustang in the beginning of April and will have put on an additional 5K-6K miles when it goes to sleep before the sky falls in a couple of months. I can't stop driving it.

Last edited by TripleBlack14; 10/2/15 at 05:34 AM.
Old 10/2/15, 08:49 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow. I just can't get my head around spending money to not drive a car.

All you're doing is providing the next owner a nice clean, low mileage, used Mustang. Any extra money you got in resale was more than eaten up with your winter beaters and lease cars.

The only way you'll stay ahead is never sell your Mustang.
Old 10/2/15, 09:16 AM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by ustabawannab

All you're doing is providing the next owner a nice clean, low mileage, used Mustang. Any extra money you got in resale was more than eaten up with your winter beaters and lease cars.

Unless a 420hp RWD convertible is your only car then it makes absolutely no sense to me to put it at risk on slippery roads with other drivers who have no clue how to operate a motor vehicle in nice weather, let alone in bad.

I got my Mustang in May 2014, drove it until the first snow fall in Jan 2015, and put it away until the beginning of April. It's a driver though, every day that weather permits. I managed though to put over 5K miles on it, and I'm on track to at least double that before it goes into hibernation again. It's only 3 months, but it feels like a lifetime.

I don't look at resale. It might be my forever car toy. Or it might not. If the time comes to trade it or sell it, it'll be what it is. Same with gas mileage. I don't pay attention as to how long I can stretch a tank or what I pay per gallon at the pump. I really don't care. The Mustang gives me the most pleasure, thrills and fun than I've ever had with my clothes on, and when I drive in again next Spring, it'll be just as clean and well detailed as when I put it away....and it'll stay that way until the next cycle.

At the very least, it keeps me out of dive bars and cheap whorehouses.
Old 10/2/15, 09:58 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by ustabawannab

Jeff, I hear ya...

but that being said, "joy" means something different to everyone. Joy for me, means, only driving her sparingly, on God's perfect days, detailing it, and making sure she's swirl free, spot free, bug free, dust free, etc... ALWAYS. But that's just me. If the benefit of that is low miles, then great! But I'm not keeping it that way/doing all that because I want to maximize retail value. I could care less. It's the car itself, and the joy of doing what I do to her that brings me joy. If it allows me to sell it higher and give the new owner a car that is absolutely pristine? Great for him! Lucky for him! But for me, I could care less...

I've said it before, but I'll say it again. Marilyn will NEVER see any form of precipitation, except from my water hose as I wash her or my detail spray when detail her. She only comes out on God's days. Period. Why? Because that's what I want to do, and it makes me happy.
Old 10/2/15, 10:50 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by TripleBlack14

Everyone has to have a hobby

I replaced a Harley-Davidson FLHTCUI (expensive bagger) with an Audi TT Convertible because it just killed me to make payments on and keep insurance on something that I really only enjoyed on pleasant days. I would extend my riding season with heated vests and handgrips but it wasn't as fun as when riding on a nice summer day.

The TT, with snow tires, was truly a year round daily driver. When I turned to Mustangs, I bought a nice V6 coupe because I didn't know how a lowered rear drive vehicle would handle in deep snow. I learned that with snows, it does better than most of the cars next to me on the road. So this summer, I traded it for what I truly wanted, a GT Vert.

I have my Tire Rack wheels and tires ready to go on and two coats of Klasse on the body.

Winter? Bring it on!
Old 10/2/15, 10:57 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
Mine is also my daily car, and she will have to get me through another winter.

I'll be putting on her winter boots in a couple weeks.
Old 10/2/15, 11:43 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TripleBlack14
Unless a 420hp RWD convertible is your only car then it makes absolutely no sense to me to put it at risk on slippery roads with other drivers who have no clue how to operate a motor vehicle in nice weather, let alone in bad.

I got my Mustang in May 2014, drove it until the first snow fall in Jan 2015, and put it away until the beginning of April. It's a driver though, every day that weather permits. I managed though to put over 5K miles on it, and I'm on track to at least double that before it goes into hibernation again. It's only 3 months, but it feels like a lifetime.

I don't look at resale. It might be my forever car toy. Or it might not. If the time comes to trade it or sell it, it'll be what it is. Same with gas mileage. I don't pay attention as to how long I can stretch a tank or what I pay per gallon at the pump. I really don't care. The Mustang gives me the most pleasure, thrills and fun than I've ever had with my clothes on, and when I drive in again next Spring, it'll be just as clean and well detailed as when I put it away....and it'll stay that way until the next cycle.

it totally makes sense. I wouldn't be driving a car with that kind of power around... mind you. its not like the V6 these days have that much less power and it is one of the best driving cars in snow that I've ever driven. LSD has a huge contributing factor to this.

nonetheless, I would still park mine during the winter months. But, coming summer time, I would rack up miles on it like its nobody's business!

The only thing I could and would never get myself to do is buy a car and park it in the garage, just to keep mileage on it down. That doesn't register. if its summer time, DRIVE IT.
Old 10/2/15, 12:47 PM
GT Member

This'll make some folks skin crawl

Base 17 wheels, Michilen Xi3s, FRPP Suspension after a salty drive

Last edited by ustabawannab; 10/3/15 at 07:01 AM.
Old 10/5/15, 11:01 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Seeing the pic above just reminded me, that I've never turned on my wipers, ever. Not once. Crap, wait, maybe I did one time... and that was because my hand accidentally nudged it. LOL.
Old 10/6/15, 06:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
My car pretty much stays garaged from November to March or April. I have two 4x4 trucks and a FWD Cavalier I can drive in the winter and like some of the other guys have said, I enjoy keeping my car nice and driving it in salty, snowy weather just isn't happening for me.

I enjoy the hell out of the car the rest of the year and because back in the day I did have to drive V8 powered cars during the winter and not enjoying it that much, I decided I didn't want to drive this Mustang in those same circumstances, especially since I have about a 65 mile round trip drive to work.

If some day I do decide to get rid of it, maybe the fact that it isn't all rusted out or have a ton of miles on it will get me a better price.

Wayne
Old 10/7/15, 10:12 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts
My plan is to keep it on the road until the first salt truck hits then bye bye for a long winter. I'm hoping this winter we have some warm winter days here and there for a detail session or two.
Old 10/7/15, 12:01 PM
Bullitt Member

My plan is to drive it in the winter, on the salty or icy roads. I have winters on steelies to make my drive safer.

I will wash it frequently in the winter, but that's it.

Car gets sold in 7 years - and a new Mustang replaces it.
Old 10/7/15, 12:55 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Mine is driven like I stole it between April and mid-November. It's my daily during those months, and I drive it hard. It saw 3 track days this year, and plenty 1-2 and 2-3 chirps off the lights and on on-ramps.

A week before Thanksgiving it gets washed and sealed, full tank of premium, and it sits with the battery disconnected till April.

I quite literally trust this car with my life at the track. I can't bare the thought of salt eating through my brakes or suspension components.
Old 10/7/15, 04:34 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
I drive in winter...just very very little. Like 2 miles to the gym and grocery store or back. I can't imagine a cross town commute in Indiana snow. However, I'm still considered a winter driver despite the limited action in winter.

I think everyones definition of driving in winter is subjective and that makes for an interesting thread.

...From one day on the road to 5 harsh and grueling months, guess it boils down to preference and "coin."
Old 10/7/15, 06:18 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,200 Posts
Originally Posted by jccroz123
Tests have shown that in snow RWD with snow tires will outperform 4WD with all seasons. So if you get a 4WD beater for the winter, you will still need to outfit it with show tires to gain any advantage. If you just dont want to drive your Mustang in the winter, then thats a different story, though i think i would rather take my bicycle then drive a Suburu.
Are you saying that your Mustang with awesome snow tires is better in the winter months/snow than my Ram 1500 4X4?!?............I don't know bro. My truck is pretty beast in the winter and snow. Most of the guys at work laugh when they see me leave work after many inches of snow has fallen in an unplowed parking lot and how the truck handles in the snow. They ask me if I need to be shoveled out or a push. Wise guys!! lol
I do agree if I had to drive RWD in the winter,...I would buy the best snow/winter tires money could buy.
Good luck guys and gals. Stay safe.
Old 10/7/15, 07:34 PM
V6 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Joeywhat
I can't stand driving in snow with traction control on. Sport seems to be OK (still not great) as at least a small amount of wheel spin is allowed. Snow tires still offer good grip even when slipping a bit, hence my desire to not have the throttle cut at the mere thought of wheel spin. As far as spinning out or anything, if you have good snow tires, and you're not heavy on the throttle it won't happen. Yes, you might get the tail end a little loose here and there, but nothing major.

Pics of my winter setup:

I really like that set of wheels. What are they off of? No fitment issues?
Old 10/7/15, 07:38 PM
V6 Member

My Mustang is my 12-month daily driver since I already have a couple of summer only toys.

I also bought it new in February so it has experienced winter from day 1. I'm hoping to one day be able to park it for the winters but that will not be for a couple more years.

But I might just be a crazy Canuck since I took my Mustang to a Sonic drive-in during the winter once.

Name:  sonic_1_zps37ad556b.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  143.5 KB
Old 10/7/15, 07:39 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by car_designer
I really like that set of wheels. What are they off of? No fitment issues?
They are police interceptor wheels off the new Taurus interceptor. The center bore on the wheels will need to be opened up to Mustang size, cost me $40 I think at a local machine shop.

They have also been plastidipped. Also, they are steel, just FYI.
Old 10/7/15, 08:11 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Joeywhat
They are police interceptor wheels off the new Taurus interceptor. The center bore on the wheels will need to be opened up to Mustang size, cost me $40 I think at a local machine shop.

They have also been plastidipped. Also, they are steel, just FYI.
Ok, thanks for the info. I've currently just got generic steel wheels.

Quick Reply: Winter is Coming