2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Winter is Coming

Search this Thread

Old 9/22/15, 06:40 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
With the brake applied, press the traction control button twice in succession.
Old 9/22/15, 06:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Joeywhat
Don't forget the roughly $80-100/month it'd cost to insure in Michigan (even for state minimum liability only coverage).
full coverage is an awesome opportunity to stimulate the economy, here in michigan it's second only to the $300 pot-hole lottery offered on almost all of the roads.
Old 9/22/15, 06:48 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 537 Likes on 420 Posts
Originally Posted by jwpraxis

Sport? The only place i have seen Sport is in what i thought was the steering options... I am talking about the button by the shifter. You know, where some idiot put the trunk button without programming it to cancel after the car starts moving.
To get the Advancetrac into Sport mode, touch the brake pedal enough to turn on the brake lights and quickly press the traction control button twice.

Can even do it while moving.

Allows more yaw and looseness before it intervenes, while every nanny is still turned on.

That being said, I drove mine the first 2 winters I had it (it wasn't supercharged then), and with all-season Continental DWS 275/40/18 tires (the second winter) she did great.

Got stuck in an unexpected snow storm, 4"+ of snow on the highway, traction control/Advancetrac fully off, had no problem getting where I needed to go, about 30 miles away, and back.

Started off in 2nd gear a lot, and no foot-to-the-floor stuff.

Last edited by Gabe; 9/22/15 at 06:50 PM.
Old 9/22/15, 06:53 PM

thanks gents, i had no clue. im going to try it out.
Old 9/22/15, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Gabe
To get the Advancetrac into Sport mode, touch the brake pedal enough to turn on the brake lights and quickly press the traction control button twice.

Can even do it while moving.

Allows more yaw and looseness before it intervenes, while every nanny is still turned on.

This would be much cooler if the light didnt come on, i see orange lights on the dash and i think somethings wrong, there is no way i could drive around with it on. id lose my mind.
Old 9/22/15, 08:03 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by jwpraxis
This would be much cooler if the light didnt come on, i see orange lights on the dash and i think somethings wrong, there is no way i could drive around with it on. id lose my mind.
Lol .... I shut it all off every time I drive the car.

No traction control, no stability control.
Also, the steering automatically goes into the stiffest setting (Sport) when the nannies are off or into Sport mode.

Tire spin when I want it
Old 9/23/15, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by FromZto5
This is all that you need to get... or an equivalent. It's called a winter beater. Probably close to the $$$ you'd pay to get winter prep material (tires, wheels, etc.) for your mustang.

Tests have shown that in snow RWD with snow tires will outperform 4WD with all seasons. So if you get a 4WD beater for the winter, you will still need to outfit it with show tires to gain any advantage. If you just dont want to drive your Mustang in the winter, then thats a different story, though i think i would rather take my bicycle then drive a Suburu.
Old 9/23/15, 09:29 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by jccroz123
Tests have shown that in snow RWD with snow tires will outperform 4WD with all seasons. So if you get a 4WD beater for the winter, you will still need to outfit it with show tires to gain any advantage. If you just dont want to drive your Mustang in the winter, then thats a different story, though i think i would rather take my bicycle then drive a Suburu.
LOL... I typed in "winter beater" in Google and picked an image at random there. My point was, get a winter beater. I don't drive my pony in precipitation of any kind, nor temps under 50. So imagine what I think of winter. And yes, it's my choice to do so, same way it's all of your choices to drive a rwd mustang in winter.
Old 9/23/15, 09:59 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by jccroz123
I'd like to see just whose tests those were.

I've driven FWD with all-season, FWD with snows, RWD with all-season, RWD with snows, AWD with all-season, AWD with snows, and of course 4x4 pick-ups with all-season, all-terrain and mud tires.

AWD with snows and pick-up w/all-terrain was the best, followed by the AWD w/all-season.

My gf's '03 Subaru Forester has a/s tires on it, the car's awesome in the snow ... 12-15" no problem

It drove right out of this:

Name:  2015-01-28_zps6e083c87.jpg
Views: 940
Size:  422.1 KB
Old 9/23/15, 10:29 AM
Cobra R Member

The issue isn't going, it's stopping. Yes AWD can get started with fine with bald tires on ice, but when it comes time to stop any vehicle with snows will be vastly superior.
Old 9/23/15, 10:36 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts
Does anyone make a plow hitch for Mustangs? I don't think snow tires are gonna help me.

Name:  D91A0726-BE60-4F6A-AF06-4F86B8F2A1F9_zpsr8lmckg1.jpg
Views: 900
Size:  59.4 KB
Old 9/23/15, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Gabe
I'd like to see just whose tests those were.
http://www.caranddriver.com/features...price-traction

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...rive-15202862/

you can google it and get many more.

Of course there are many variables, the quality of the tires, the vehicle, driver skills etc. so individual experiences will vary. My winter beater is a RWD 1999 Grand Marquis with snow tires on the rear wheels only and the only problem I have driving in the snow is when an SUV with 4WD and all seasons gets stuck in front of me. If I could figure out a way to attach a plow to the front of it, I could make money clearing parking lots.
Old 9/23/15, 06:46 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Joeywhat
With snow tires you'll be fine. I prefer to drive in sport mode as it allows for a bit of wheel spin, which is necessary to get the full benefit of snow tires.
Snow tires are a must! I also add 73 or so lbs of weight in the trunk. My Mustangs have been just fine here in Colorado! Last winter, I got up a nasty hill that I saw a guy in a SN95 with bad tires just spinning his wheels and barely staying in line and causing huge delays. Not to mention the old Explorer I saw on even worse tires trying to stop once he got over the hill sliding through intersections and being a total danger to others and himself.
Old 9/24/15, 05:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One more thing, do you guys use silicone on the window strips to prevent them from freezing shut?
Old 9/24/15, 06:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by dave07
One more thing, do you guys use silicone on the window strips to prevent them from freezing shut?
I didn't use it nor did i have any issues with them freezing together.
Old 9/24/15, 06:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
I didn't use it nor did i have any issues with them freezing together.
Old 9/25/15, 07:58 PM

no, but the windows do freeze shut sometimes and it feels like you will break the glass if you pull the door open. ive never had to do anything crazy to get it open, 3-4 love-taps along the top of the window usual do the trick.

Last edited by jwpraxis; 9/25/15 at 07:59 PM.
Old 9/25/15, 08:21 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
I live in Michigan. We get SNOW. And as of the last 2 winters -20F weather too. My mustang stays in the garage since before Thanksgiving. I have a 10 year old 4X4 Kia Sorento to pull the neighbors out of the middle of the street when there is a 9+ " of snow on the ground. Winter tires are great, but once you start pushing the snow with your front spoiler it's game over. If the white stuff is soft and powdery I can get through a foot. Otherwise I'm limited by running clearance +1".

The name of the game becomes ground clearance. 4X4 + ground clearance + AT tires = snow drifting Neighbors always look at the car going sideways kinda funny and the wife rolls her eyes and says "seriously, must you slide in EVERY corner?!", but **** it. I love snow! There is something majestic about 20mph drifting

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 9/25/15 at 08:29 PM.
Old 9/25/15, 08:36 PM
Cobra R Member

Also in Michigan, lots of deep snow is the only thing stopping our cars. Got stuck a couple ideas last season, probably took half the **** tread off my snow tires one time trying to get out... Some weight in the back helps a ton, and these just don't work quite as well as FWD in the deep stuff.
Old 10/1/15, 05:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Best thing for these cars is to let them hibernate in winter. Keeps the chassis free of corrosion. Buy a cheap beater and drive it when it rains and snows. Your mustang will thank you.

Quick Reply: Winter is Coming