Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Wheel Companies

Search this Thread

Old 9/12/14, 03:29 PM
V6 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wheel Companies

I've been shopping for wheels, and have been mostly looking at styles.

I've found styles I like from the following:

* American Racing
* TSW
* Ace
* Foose
* American Muscle AMA

Now that I have a few styles in mind, I want to figure out which among those are the best quality wheels. I have a GT premium. I primarily use it for pleasure driving in a "spirited" fashion. Have not hit a track, but would not want to rule it out.

Any thoughts on the above brands? Not interested in any pissing contest, just experienced opinions. For example, I know TSW get's a lot of flack and even some silly monkiers, but are their wheels actually bad, only bad for certain uses (i.e. heavy track usage).
Old 9/12/14, 08:55 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Well, I used SVE which should be on par with AMR since it's the Late Model Restoration brand, and I've had great luck with it so far on the street and road racing. No pissing contest, just saying.
Old 9/12/14, 10:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
About 4 years ago I saw some quality issues popping up with TSW.
Old 9/12/14, 10:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I had American Muscle AMR wheels, and the ones I had, had problems balancing. Also these wheels are NOT hub centric, but lug centric.

I have TSW Nurburgring (Gunmetal, mirror cut), and I absolutely love them! (hub centric !!!). These wheels are relatively light weight (lighter than stock and lighter than AMR), and rotary forged (tougher than the cast wheels, like AMR or stock, but not as good as truly forged wheels, like the Shelby ones). Down side of these wheels is that the stock nuts are a little to big, which makes it more easy to scratch the finish of the wheel, so you need to get new wheel nuts ($30 or so), which are thinner and have a special adapter (basically making all nuts, locking nuts). The 9.5" wide wheel is designed to go on the rear only (the center cap issue).

Last edited by Plim; 9/12/14 at 11:02 PM.
Old 9/13/14, 10:31 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Plim
I had American Muscle AMR wheels, and the ones I had, had problems balancing. Also these wheels are NOT hub centric, but lug centric.

I have TSW Nurburgring (Gunmetal, mirror cut), and I absolutely love them! (hub centric !!!). These wheels are relatively light weight (lighter than stock and lighter than AMR), and rotary forged (tougher than the cast wheels, like AMR or stock, but not as good as truly forged wheels, like the Shelby ones). Down side of these wheels is that the stock nuts are a little to big, which makes it more easy to scratch the finish of the wheel, so you need to get new wheel nuts ($30 or so), which are thinner and have a special adapter (basically making all nuts, locking nuts). The 9.5" wide wheel is designed to go on the rear only (the center cap issue).

Pics of your TSW's by chance?
Old 9/13/14, 11:19 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Plim
I have TSW Nurburgring (Gunmetal, mirror cut), and I absolutely love them! (hub centric !!!). These wheels are relatively light weight (lighter than stock and lighter than AMR), and rotary forged (tougher than the cast wheels, like AMR or stock, but not as good as truly forged wheels, like the Shelby ones).
I also have the TSW Nurburgring wheels and also like them a lot. Have had them on for a year now with no issues.
Old 9/13/14, 12:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Motorin Mark
Pics of your TSW's by chance?
as requested.
They have a nice off set. so the wheels sit flush with the rear fender.
Attached Thumbnails Wheel Companies-img_1457.jpg   Wheel Companies-img_2638.jpg   Wheel Companies-img_2808.jpg   Wheel Companies-img_1445.jpg  
Old 9/14/14, 06:54 AM
Cobra Member

Don't forget Ford a Racing. I just picked up a set of Laguna Seca rims + TPMS for about $790 delivered. Top notch quality and finish. Best part was I didn't have to recalibrate the TPMS, it was just pull off the old wheels and install the new.

Old 9/14/14, 11:34 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
You want to ensure the wheel you purchase are made using a low pressure casting process. It will reduce weight vs. standard gravity cast wheels & provide more strength to the wheel.

You can check out some of our wheels here too ... in case you are not sold on the others.

http://www.steeda.com/steeda-black-s....8NooJ1u7.dpuf

Last edited by tj@steeda; 9/14/14 at 11:37 AM.
Old 9/14/14, 11:56 AM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by ace72ace
Don't forget Ford a Racing. I just picked up a set of Laguna Seca rims + TPMS for about $790 delivered. Top notch quality and finish. Best part was I didn't have to recalibrate the TPMS, it was just pull off the old wheels and install the new.

I'm guessing you got yours at Levittown Ford Superstore...that's where I got mine, same price. You can't beat an OEM wheel for under $200 each with TPMS.
Attached Thumbnails Wheel Companies-btown1-copy-2-.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 9/14/14, 12:11 PM
Cobra Member

Yup. Best bang for the buck wheels WITH required TPMS for the street if you like the style. It's cool they offer the wheel kit (4x with TPMS) in staggered 19x9 & 19x10, or square (4x 19x9 with TPMS) for $729 before ship.

Yeah they are 'heavy' vs the Forgestar/Forgelines, but that is going to cost about a grand more, or higher. Plus the added hassle of the TPMS cost and setup.

Very happy with this setup.
Old 9/14/14, 12:30 PM
Bullitt Member

Yup. Best bang for the buck wheels WITH required TPMS for the street if you like the style. It's cool they offer the wheel kit (4x with TPMS) in staggered 19x9 & 19x10, or square (4x 19x9 with TPMS) for $729 before ship. Yeah they are 'heavy' vs the Forgestar/Forgelines, but that is going to cost about a grand more, or higher. Plus the added hassle of the TPMS cost and setup. Very happy with this setup.
I purchased tpms sensors with the TWS wheels. But no additional setup was needed. Just plug and play (on my 2013 GT).
Old 9/14/14, 12:48 PM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
Yup. Best bang for the buck wheels WITH required TPMS for the street if you like the style. It's cool they offer the wheel kit (4x with TPMS) in staggered 19x9 & 19x10, or square (4x 19x9 with TPMS) for $729 before ship.

Yeah they are 'heavy' vs the Forgestar/Forgelines, but that is going to cost about a grand more, or higher. Plus the added hassle of the TPMS cost and setup.

Very happy with this setup.

Those of us with 19" wheels haven't got a big selection to choose from. There are way more wheels available in 18" and 20". I wanted to stay with Ford wheels and these fit my budget and taste.

But I do want to step up to 20" after I've put some wear on my tires...only have 3200 miles now, and by the end of next month it goes into hibernation for the winter. It'll take awhile before I get to half life on the sneakers.

Someday my GT will sport a set of Shelby CS40's.
Attached Images