Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Wellp... S550 reviews are in. How do you feel about your S197 now?

Search this Thread

Old 9/29/14, 04:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
After reading all of the reviews and looking at the pictures, I'm happy I got a 14. I think it's a better looking car and since the 15 is heavier, the extra horsepower of the car is a wash. I think the interior of the new car is too busy for my taste and like the simpler appearance of the 14. While I'm sure the new IRS is nice, I'm fine with the SRA on my 14. It rides good enough for me and it's a simpler design with less things to go wrong with it.

And like one of the other poster said, if I was buying a new car right now, it would probably be a new sublime Challenger scat-pack.

Wayne
Old 10/2/14, 07:33 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Turbo302
I'm really liking my S197 since I got $8500 off MSRP and all the S550 guys are paying premiums for the new car.

I was wondering if the new car would be faster, but I ran my stone stock 5.0 Automatic car down the 1/4 mile and turned a 12.9@109.8 so the S197 is just as fast if not faster than the s550 in a straight line! I'm waiting to see what the new Automatic cars will run.

I think the new car will be refined and more comfortable ride on choppy roads, but I'm still not sold on the styling,....and price! It would have been difficult to spend $45k on a Mustang. The rebates/discounts sold me on S197!
Originally Posted by dave07
Glad I own the S197 to be honest. The outgoing model is faster in a straight line than the new one and is lighter. I really like the interior of the new mustang though.
Originally Posted by killaz05
I am so happy I got my 2014 instead of the 2015. The 2015 doesn't have the styling that I like compared to mine and even though I got the v6, I am still faster than the ecoboost mustang which is sad.

Ford could have done wonders with the 3.7L but chose to use their ecoboost and from the reviews, it didn't get them anywhere. I personally would rather say I have a v6 than a turbo 4. The v6 loves to rev and it is a lot of fun doing so. The turbo 4 is said not to like to rev and power falls off. That's not fun when taking a corner in a low gear and high rpms as you pull out of the apex. I don't know but even the economy on the ecoboost is marginally better maybe. We shall see how real world tests go.

I want to see them review a 2014 vs a 2015 and see where the improvements really are. The mustang name will never die but this seemed like a serious missed opportunity for Ford. I want to hear that the handling of the new IRS is amazing and that it handles like a world class car... kind of like they did when describing the handling of the 2005 mustang. Read the reviews of the 2005 mustang compared to the 2015 and you can tell the reviewer of the 2015 was disappointed.
I cant tell you how much I agree with these guys
Old 10/2/14, 08:17 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
.... I want to hear that the handling of the new IRS is amazing and that it handles like a world class car... kind of like they did when describing the handling of the 2005 mustang. Read the reviews of the 2005 mustang compared to the 2015 and you can tell the reviewer of the 2015 was disappointed.
In defense of the 2015, the 2005 Mustang was such a revelation compared to the SN95s. As someone who admired Mustangs from afar but had no particular lust for them, and no offense to the fans of the 94-04 models, but that body style aged pretty quickly. It got caught up in the same tired old "meh" that saw the Camaro and Firebird get the ax. The SN197 hit the big nostalgia wave. That affects the average person a lot more than talk of IRS.
Old 10/2/14, 09:18 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bkrell
In defense of the 2015, the 2005 Mustang was such a revelation compared to the SN95s. As someone who admired Mustangs from afar but had no particular lust for them, and no offense to the fans of the 94-04 models, but that body style aged pretty quickly. It got caught up in the same tired old "meh" that saw the Camaro and Firebird get the ax. The SN197 hit the big nostalgia wave. That affects the average person a lot more than talk of IRS.

But upon reviews of the mustang after the new Camaro hit the scene, reviewers were like "if only it had an IRS setup" etc. You could not get thru a review without mention of how though Ford is doing an awesome job with the SRA, the mustang needs an IRS setup. With this being the 50th anniversary of one of the oldest nameplates... there should be more of a revelation than the SN197 ever was. There is still a lot riding on how the 2015 mustang does. Chevy was able to put an awesome machine out with the Z28 that beat the likes of Porsche and GT-R. The boss while being the best handling mustang to date cannot make a similar claim. Ford has the ingredients in front of them. It is up to the rumored GT350 to show exactly what this new chassis is made of.

On a different note... The engine compartment of the new 5.0 is just plain ugly. The 2011-2014 5.0 was a jewel to look at. It was by far one of the prettiest engine bays I have ever seen. I don't even want to know what the others look like haha.
Old 10/2/14, 09:53 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by awoychosky123
I cant tell you how much I agree with these guys
. I rolled in to an Arco this morning after work and went in too buy a sixer of Fat tire, snacks and all that healthy stuff. When i came out,,,,,,there was atleast 3 people that were standing around Eleanor. One guy said holy chit nice car man!! I thanked him and promptly left some Hankook on the ground as my GT500 axle backs/res delete filled the air with the sweet sound of "America" i love my Mustang and im soooo glad i got her for 28k out the door! When i look at my baby i love every single angle of her "Eleanor " to me looks like a true Mustang"! This new Stang looks like a Fusion. The switches at the bottom of the console look like "RICE" seriously Ford, wtf? Those look stoopid! And the cup holders, really? I like how mine closes so my arm can rest on it, thank you! Im glad that people will fork over $$$ for the new one as they are the reason the Mustang is 50yrs straight running! I like the Hennessy Mustang but thats about it!
Old 10/2/14, 10:25 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
But upon reviews of the mustang after the new Camaro hit the scene, reviewers were like "if only it had an IRS setup" etc. You could not get thru a review without mention of how though Ford is doing an awesome job with the SRA, the mustang needs an IRS setup. With this being the 50th anniversary of one of the oldest nameplates... there should be more of a revelation than the SN197 ever was. There is still a lot riding on how the 2015 mustang does. Chevy was able to put an awesome machine out with the Z28 that beat the likes of Porsche and GT-R. The boss while being the best handling mustang to date cannot make a similar claim. Ford has the ingredients in front of them. It is up to the rumored GT350 to show exactly what this new chassis is made of.

On a different note... The engine compartment of the new 5.0 is just plain ugly. The 2011-2014 5.0 was a jewel to look at. It was by far one of the prettiest engine bays I have ever seen. I don't even want to know what the others look like haha.

I don't know...I know I was more in the Mustang/Camaro/Firebird young guy demo back then than I am now and I wouldn't have touched those overwrought turds. We obviously wouldn't say that about our SN197s now. And what you're saying about the IRS-reviewers at car mags. The same people that get worked up over Miatas. Look at the skipad numbers on the '15 and compare them to the '14. The IRS makes a difference there. In a straight line, it doesn't. There you're comparing the '14 Coyote to the '15 Coyote. It's a much more subtle difference between the two. What's going to sell this car to the public are it's more than refreshed looks. And remember, the z28 didn't come out as soon as the new Camaro debuted.

Don't get me wrong, I first posted in this thread proud I bought a '14. But I can't agree that the '15 is a total letdown. It's just the '14 is a tougher act to follow. I'm sure if Ford could have turned the '15 into a Vette with a backseat and sold it at a similar price point as what they did roll out, they would have.

Last edited by bkrell; 10/2/14 at 10:33 AM.
Old 10/2/14, 10:41 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Astenax
. I rolled in to an Arco this morning after work and went in too buy a sixer of Fat tire, snacks and all that healthy stuff. When i came out,,,,,,there was atleast 3 people that were standing around Eleanor. One guy said holy chit nice car man!! I thanked him and promptly left some Hankook on the ground as my GT500 axle backs/res delete filled the air with the sweet sound of "America" i love my Mustang and im soooo glad i got her for 28k out the door! When i look at my baby i love every single angle of her "Eleanor " to me looks like a true Mustang"! This new Stang looks like a Fusion. The switches at the bottom of the console look like "RICE" seriously Ford, wtf? Those look stoopid! And the cup holders, really? I like how mine closes so my arm can rest on it, thank you! Im glad that people will fork over $$$ for the new one as they are the reason the Mustang is 50yrs straight running! I like the Hennessy Mustang but thats about it!
Love the story, I agree entirely with what you are saying about the style of the new mustang, It would seem as ford is trying to give all there cars the same front end :P
Old 10/2/14, 10:55 AM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,621 Posts
. I rolled in to an Arco this morning after work and went in too buy a sixer of Fat tire
Ok I'm not trying to be a smartarze here but what exactly is a 'sixer of Fat tire'? A six pack of a certain beer is this code for something?
Old 10/2/14, 11:01 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mustang Freak
Ok I'm not trying to be a smartarze here but what exactly is a 'sixer of Fat tire'? A six pack of a certain beer is this code for something?
Lol, yes its beer. It's made by New Belgium, in golden Colorado! Verry tasty!
Old 10/2/14, 11:07 AM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,621 Posts
Lol, yes its beer. It's made by New Belgium, in golden Colorado! Verry tasty!
Ok thanks never heard of it but will have to give it a try sometime! :-)
Old 10/2/14, 11:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by awoychosky123
Love the story, I agree entirely with what you are saying about the style of the new mustang, It would seem as ford is trying to give all there cars the same front end :P
My favorite Mustang is "Eleanor" from Gone in 60sec. I think the S197's look just like Her! Yes Ford over did the Fusion look on the new Mustang lol;-)
Old 10/2/14, 11:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mustang Freak
I guessed that he meant a six pack of donuts.
Old 10/3/14, 09:41 AM
GT Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I was looking at a profile shot of the new Mustang and my son walked in. When he saw it he said "what is that?" The new car just doesn't say "Mustang" like the S197 did when it was introduced.
I fear in Fords quest to build a world car they forgot to make it an American car.
Old 10/3/14, 10:25 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

My favorite Mustang is "Eleanor" from Gone in 60sec. I think the S197's look just like Her! Yes Ford over did the Fusion look on the new Mustang lol;-)
I think I know the answer already, but which Gone in 60 Seconds?
Old 10/3/14, 10:35 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2015 Mustang GT, PP, 50th anniv. appearance pkg. (comp orange) ordered and in processing...
and keeping the 2012 Boss 302!!
Old 10/3/14, 10:37 AM
Cobra Member

Been very happy with my 2005 Modified. Leaves me with a huge grin every time I drive it. Would buy another if I had the cash.
Old 10/3/14, 11:12 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by backin15
I fear in Fords quest to build a world car they forgot to make it an American car.
This says it all.
Old 10/3/14, 01:49 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by backin15
I was looking at a profile shot of the new Mustang and my son walked in. When he saw it he said "what is that?" The new car just doesn't say "Mustang" like the S197 did when it was introduced.
I wouldn't spend time looking at Foxes then . . . (which say "Mustang" to me, just as much as any other model.)
Old 10/3/14, 01:58 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
God bless you Jason lol..
Old 10/3/14, 08:07 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by tom281
God bless you Jason lol..

Quick Reply: Wellp... S550 reviews are in. How do you feel about your S197 now?