Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Wellp... S550 reviews are in. How do you feel about your S197 now?

Search this Thread

Old 9/18/14, 10:13 AM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
After reading the reviews I love my 204 GT TP even more. I ordered a 2014 because I didn't like how the 2015 looks. Iconic is not even close to how I would describe the looks of a 2015. Conversely the late model S197s are quite iconic in my mind.

Second, my mustang ties the 2015 in straight line performance, while being edged out by a slim margin in the twisties. According to the MT article the new mustang is 0.3s quicker in a figure 8. Not worth it in my opinion.

I made a decision in 2013 that I prefer the S197 over S550, and man was I right!
Old 9/18/14, 10:20 AM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
This is a good thread. I see this going several pages long.

I just hope it doesn't morph into a bitter S197 vs S550 controversy. I think most of us in the pre-2015 camp all pretty much agree that the S550 is probably a really good car and the direction that Ford had to go in to meet overseas demand and interest. And I think most of us agree that it is a looker and a contender, and wish Ford and future owners success. At least I do.

But those of us who prefer one over the other have our reasons. With human nature being what is, you'd be hard pressed to find too many folks who are swayed by a review into relinquishing what they presently own. Admittedly we feel the need to rationalize our choices and validate our decisions.

Ultimately I'd like to see a thread for those former S197 owners who pulled the trigger on a '15. I think we'd get a much better perspective from those who have owned, not just test driven, both Mustangs.

In the meantime, it's all good. Remember, it's all the same DNA going way back to 1964.....or is that 1964.5?

Keep those cards and letters coming, folks!!!!
Old 9/18/14, 10:29 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'm actually happier that I got a S197 instead of the S550.

I can't justify driving a GT as a DD nor do NOT want a 4 banger engine in my mustang. Glad I ordered the 2014 model and dressed it up how I wanted it built.
Old 9/18/14, 10:48 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
I struggle with a mid $40s GT that's heavier and not faster. That's very nice low mileage Boss or 11-12 GT500 price range.
Old 9/18/14, 10:52 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeMidnight
I'm actually happier that I got a S197 instead of the S550. I can't justify driving a GT as a DD nor do NOT want a 4 banger engine in my mustang. Glad I ordered the 2014 model and dressed it up how I wanted it built.
Joe, DDing a GT is not about justification. Trust me.
Old 9/18/14, 10:57 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38
This. If you have to financially justify a GT, you don't need a GT in the first place.
Old 9/18/14, 10:59 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 212 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38
Exactly.
Old 9/18/14, 11:18 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by kcoTiger
This. If you have to financially justify a GT, you don't need a GT in the first place.
I almost got a PP V6. My fiancée smacked me in the head and said just get the GT, you know you'll never be happy going back to a V6.

Old 9/18/14, 11:25 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I chose wisely. If I had wanted a 2015. I could have waited and bought one. It wasn't about money. It was about appearance.
Old 9/18/14, 11:29 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by Critical Mass
I chose wisely. If I had wanted a 2015. I could have waited and bought one. It wasn't about money. It was about appearance.

Same here. I was going to wait and get a 2015 when I finally decided to buy a new Mustang. The pics showed up of the 2015 and it didn't do the same thing as the 2014. Mostly this...
Old 9/18/14, 11:35 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It seems that the 2015 is still struggling to meet the performance and handling of the Boss 302, even with the addition of IRS. After driving the 2015, Motor Trend is still calling the Boss 302 the best Mustang ever built. I'm feeling pretty good about my Mustang right now.
Old 9/18/14, 11:48 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Still love mine! Personally I expected a 2-door fusion, which I know some may think this is the case, but I really like it. The 2015 looks great. Changes nothing nothing for me though, maybe down the road 5+ years, I'll add something to the stable
Old 9/18/14, 12:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
The Mustang has and always will be a great platform to customize or modify to meet ones performance/asthetic needs. I think expectations were so high for the 2015 that it couldn't help but disappoint in some regards. People need to give it a chance and see how it performs once it's in the hands of the consumer. I enjoy our 2014 GT convertible and have no regrets...that said...I'm sure a new gen Mustang will eventually find it's way to our garage.
Old 9/18/14, 12:15 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just finished installing my Koni yellows/ Steeda sports on my 2014 GT. Taking her in to have the alignment done after i catch my breadth lol. I think im going to do a little canyon carving tomorrow. I dont think a "stock" S550 will out handle my 14 at this point! Probably not much faster in a straight line either! "Nope" cant think of a reason to trade up for one lol. Now the new GT350 would be another story. Been thinking in a few years to buy a lightly used one.
Old 9/18/14, 12:18 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Astenax
Just finished installing my Koni yellows/ Steeda sports on my 2014 GT. Taking her in to have the alignment done after i catch my breadth lol. I think im going to do a little canyon carving tomorrow. I dont think a "stock" S550 will out handle my 14 at this point! Probably not much faster in a straight line either! "Nope" cant think of a reason to trade up for one lol. Now the new GT350 would be another story. Been thinking in a few years to buy a lightly used one.
I'm thinking I should have done the Sports for my DD. I did the Boss 302 specific and they are a little stiff around town. On the freeway though, they're amazing. I also have the Koni Yellows.
Old 9/18/14, 12:18 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
I made the right call when I picked up my 2014. It might ride like **** but it looks pretty good.
Old 9/18/14, 12:23 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I finally got to see a '15 Mustang in person. Just a few of us in a private viewing and about a half hour to climb in and out of it (no driving allowed, though). Here's a few random thoughts....

• The interior is much nicer than it appears in pictures. The seats in the car I sat in were the redline premium leather seats (not Recaros) and they were super comfortable and very well bolstered. With heat/cool and power functions, I would much prefer them over the Recaros any day! S550 interior is nicer than the S197 interior.
  • The exterior of the S550 is still ugly, IMO. My wife owns a '14 Fusion and I think the front end of the Fusion is much better looking than the '15 Mustang as it's more cohesive looking. The '15 Mustang has too many shapes and angles working against each other. The rear taillights on the '15 are cool and the rear 3/4 view looks good, but the car sits so low - too low. The S197 is definitely the better looking car.
  • No glass roof or moonroof available on the S550 due to the channeled roof. I absolutely love the glass roof on my '14. That by itself is a deal breaker for some of us.
  • The jury is out on the IRS. I've owned cars with IRS, but I'm a drag racer so a solid rear axle is my preference. My contacts at Ford assure me that the new IRS is up to the task of repeated drag strip abuse (unlike the 99-04 Cobras), so perhaps my fears of IRS are unfounded.
  • Underhood appearance is lacking in the S550. The engine covers look goofy. The cow's bladder of a coolant tank up front is hideous. Looks like the engineers had a tough time fitting things into the new chassis.
  • Performance seems to be about the same in a straight line, so that's a wash. Cornering will be better in the S550, but I don't road race, so that's not a big deal to me. It'll be cheaper to mod the S197 for quite some time, so I'll keep my '14 GT for now.
I will say this about the S550, though. While I think it is very ugly in most colors, Deep Impact Blue looks awesome on the S550. The car I saw in person was not DIB, though. And, like many other cars, wheel choice and stance can make a world of difference. The optional 20" factory wheels on the S550 are awesome. And the 50th LE and 50 year appearance pkg wheels both look pretty good. So, if I was forced to replace my '14 with a '15, it would have to be a DIB GT Coupe 400A with automatic & 20's. Kind of like this.....

Last edited by Five Oh Brian; 9/18/14 at 12:38 PM.
Old 9/18/14, 12:27 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 212 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Five Oh Brian
I finally got to see a '15 Mustang in person. Just a few of us in a private viewing and about a half hour to climb in and out of it (no driving allowed, though). Here's a few random thoughts....

• The interior is much nicer than it appears in pictures. The seats in the car I sat in were the redline premium leather seats (not Recaros) and they were super comfortable and very well bolstered. With heat/cool and power functions, I would much prefer them over the Recaros any day! S550 interior is nicer than the S197 interior.
  • The exterior of the S550 is still ugly, IMO. My wife owns a '14 Fusion and I think the front end of the Fusion is much better looking than the '15 Mustang as it's more cohesive looking. The '15 Mustang has too many shapes and angles working against each other. The rear taillights on the '15 are cool and the rear 3/4 view looks good, but the car sits so low - too low. The S197 is definitely the better looking car.
  • No glass roof or moonroof available on the S550 due to the channeled roof. I absolutely love the glass roof on my '14. That by itself is a deal breaker for some of us.
  • The jury is out on the IRS. I've owned cars with IRS, but I'm a drag racer so a solid rear axle is my preference. My contacts at Ford assure me that the new IRS is up to the task of repeated drag strip abuse (unlike the 99-04 Cobras), so perhaps my fears of IRS are unfounded.
  • Underhood appearance is lacking in the S550. The engine covers look goofy. The cow's bladder of a coolant tank up front is hideous. Looks like the engineers had a tough time fitting things into the new chassis.
  • Performance seems to be about the same in a straight line, so that's a wash. Cornering will be better in the S550, but I don't road race, so that's not a big deal to me. It'll be cheaper to mod the S197 for quite some time, so I'll keep my '14 GT for now.
I will say this about the S550, though. While I think it is very ugly in most colors, Deep Impact Blue looks awesome on the S550. The car I saw in person was not DIB, though. And, like many other cars, wheel choice and stance can make a world of difference. The optional 20" factory wheels on the S550 are awesome. And the 50th LE and 50 year appearance pkg wheels both look pretty good. So, if I was forced to replace my '14 with a '15, it would have to be a DIB GT Coupe 400A with automatic & 20's. Kind of like this.....

agreed 100%
My own car looked like A$$ until i adjusted wheels and stance. now i love it. The same thing can be done to the 550. she has the bones for a great look, just waiting for personal touches.
Old 9/18/14, 12:39 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Five Oh Brian
Thanks Brian.
Old 9/18/14, 12:40 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As soon as I watched the review of the 2011 and the M3 from MT I was sold. I had been eyeballing a Mustang for a couple of years. I held off and then in 2012 hen the 13's started showing up with the Track Pack and Recaros I knew what I was going to get. The fact that Deep Impact was a new color and a favorite type of blue for me made it even sweeter. I bought this car to drive it...daily. I also had every intention of driving the crap out of it on the track. Which I have also done and will for its life. If one day my driving skills outgrow my car then I might get a different car but for now I love it. I wish all the new S550 owners the best and hope they get what they are paying for, whatever that may be or why.

Quick Reply: Wellp... S550 reviews are in. How do you feel about your S197 now?