Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Well they weren't lying about you Texas boys

Search this Thread

Old 8/27/14, 07:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by White2010
When you get pulled over by the police there are a number of things you can do to make the whole thing go smoothly.

First of all, put the car in neutral (use parking brake) or park and take your foot off of the brake. A tell tale sign that a driver is going to flee is that the brake lights never go out. Officers will often look for the brake lights to go out before they even exit the patrol car.

If it's dark outside, turn on your overhead dome or interior lights. This shows the officer that you are not trying to hide anything in your interior like weapons, drugs, etc. etc.

Have your window rolled down and your drivers license and insurance information ready when he walks up.

It would behoove you to exercise good manners by way of saying "Yes Sir", "No Maam" and so on. A little politeness and respect goes a long way.

If you just put these simple things into practice you would be amazed how many Officers will let you off with a warning.

All to often what happens when the Officer walks up to the car is he gets some jerkweed that starts feeding him a line of crap about why he was 25 miles an hour over the speed limit. Or the driver in question starts questioning the Officers authority and reason for conducting a traffic stop under some misguided notion that the US Constitution gives you the right to treat Police Officers like they are subhuman trash. Then when the Officer gives them a big fat ticket they act like the Officer is the one at fault.

One of my favorite examples of this was that Matt Farah idiot on the Drive channel. He was once driving 150 mph in a Mustang convertible with a man in the back seat who was standing up and filming other cars on the road. The man in the back was tied off to the front seat headrest with a rope. Yeah, that's safe. Naturally a State Trooper ended up pulling them over and giving both Farah and the passenger a ticket for their retarded behavior. Farah gets all upset and starts talking crap about the State Troopers. Yea, I guess it's the State Troopers fault that he doesn't know not to drive 150 mph with a man standing up in the back seat of his Mustang. Moron.

The point is this. Keep in mind that for 8 to 10 hours a day Police Officers deal with crappy human beings that aren't worth the time of day for the most part. If you think that won't have an affect on your general mood after awhile then you try it and see for yourself. So when that Officer walks up to your window on a traffic stop the dumbest thing you can do is start acting like an *** and tossing out the lies as to why you just had to speed. Do yourself a favor, be polite, be cooperative and you will be amazed how smoothly things can go.

Thank You!!!!!!!!!!

I am a State Trooper, and I have done the same thing this officer did on a few occasions! THERE IS A BIG DIFFERENCE BETWEEN "CUTTING UP" ON THE INTERSTATE IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWERE WHEN THERE IS NO TRAFFIC and trying to drive 100+ weaving in out of traffic!
Old 8/27/14, 09:04 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by tacbear
Thank You!!!!!!!!!! I am a State Trooper, and I have done the same thing this officer did on a few occasions! THERE IS A BIG DIFFERENCE BETWEEN "CUTTING UP" ON THE INTERSTATE IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWERE WHEN THERE IS NO TRAFFIC and trying to drive 100+ weaving in out of traffic!
Exactly. But can you do me a favor and ticket some extra left-lane-traffic-filler today? God it makes my commute so annoying (coming and going). This morning a county Sheriff motor was behind me, obviously in a hurry to get to the station (I work off the same freeway exit, but they go north and I go south). He passes me, looks over and gives me "the nod." I nod back and we continue on, both doing about 75. Now every morning and evening, I'm met with 4-5 lanes wide of retards in Camries, Corollas, Sonatas, Prii, etc taking up ALL lanes, all going 60-65, within inches of each other. The freeway has a few turns and grades through the hills, but nothing too major. That doesn't prevent people from braking at the slightest bend, though. Of course on the uphills, traffic breaks a little bit, so the motor was weaving in and out, just a little bit. Seeing that he's not Code 3, I figure I'm okay to follow suit. Not aggressive by any means, but just driving around these mindless drones (most likely my coworkers ).

We finally make it to a clearing and have open road ahead of us. As we get to our exit, I'm going right and he's going left. We both downshifted at the same time (they're still using Harley's over here) and he looked over when he heard me go from 4th to 3rd. He gave me another approving nod and we went our own ways haha!
Old 8/27/14, 09:10 AM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Coolest cop ever. We need more like him.
Old 8/27/14, 10:28 AM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by White2010
When you get pulled over by the police there are a number of things you can do to make the whole thing go smoothly.

First of all, put the car in neutral (use parking brake) or park and take your foot off of the brake. A tell tale sign that a driver is going to flee is that the brake lights never go out. Officers will often look for the brake lights to go out before they even exit the patrol car.

If it's dark outside, turn on your overhead dome or interior lights. This shows the officer that you are not trying to hide anything in your interior like weapons, drugs, etc. etc.

Have your window rolled down and your drivers license and insurance information ready when he walks up.

It would behoove you to exercise good manners by way of saying "Yes Sir", "No Maam" and so on. A little politeness and respect goes a long way.

If you just put these simple things into practice you would be amazed how many Officers will let you off with a warning.
In the mid 70's I went back to college after my discharge from the Air Force. I majored in Public Administration, and many fellow students in my night classes were police officers including a Chief, several state troopers, detectives, even the head of a narcotics strike force. I was friendly with all of them (it pays to have friends like that).

The advice quoted above is practically verbatim from what they all told me. They also explained that there are 2 things a cop hates...a smart-a$$ and a kiss-a$$. Be straight and respectful and you go usually home with a warning or a much lesser ticket.

Their words are etched in my brain as permanently as when my mother warned me not to touch a hot stove.

In all my years of driving, I've gotten off more times than not because I was honest and not a jerk off.

Of course, the first time a cop treats me badly I plan on looting.
Old 8/27/14, 02:33 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tacbear
Thank You!!!!!!!!!!

I am a State Trooper, and I have done the same thing this officer did on a few occasions! THERE IS A BIG DIFFERENCE BETWEEN "CUTTING UP" ON THE INTERSTATE IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWERE WHEN THERE IS NO TRAFFIC and trying to drive 100+ weaving in out of traffic!
Thank you for your service tacbear.

I dispatch for the Fire Department here as well as respond with a volunteer fire department and at one point I was a jail Officer. So I completely understand what Police Officers and State Troopers go through on a daily basis and a lot of it is no fun to be sure. I learned everything in my post from them. People just need to realize that a Law Enforcement Officer is just a person like everyone else except they have a very difficult and often stressful job. So the worst thing you can do when you get pulled over is become another stress factor in that Officers day.
Old 8/28/14, 10:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I've been pulled over, sadly, near 20 times but have only received 2 speeding tickets. My dad's an officer and has said what was previously stated, that walking up to a car at night having NO CLUE if you're about to be another statistic is one of the most scary feelings, yet normal since you do it countless times a night (back in the day when he was patrol).

Whenever I pull over, unless it's a Texas summer, I drop the windows, kill the motor, radio, and put both hands up on the steering wheel or on top of the door with my license and insurance in hand. Posture and verbal articulation and politeness go a LONG, LONG way.

I usually will pull off the highway and into a parking lot too because I'd hope someone would have done the same for my dad back when he was doing it. You see too many videos of cars, or LEOs getting hit standing on the side of the road.

I got asked once by an officer why I pulled so far over... he liked the answer.

Last edited by Krohn; 8/28/14 at 10:31 AM.
Old 8/28/14, 12:55 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5
great stories Jeff! And thanks to your son for his service to our country.

My story was similar a few months ago. End result was a warning. 9:30 pm, back road, no one around. I goosed it some on a 45. Lights come on. Cop comes up. "Any idea how fast you were going sir?". "45?". He proceeds to laugh sarcastically. I give him my info, he goes back to his car and returns later and says, "I know you have a muscle car and all, but slow down ok? I know what it must be like owning one. I'm a muscle car guy myself.".

The minute he said that last sentence. I knew I had him HOOKED. We talked about my and his car for about 5 minutes. He ended up giving me a warning.

p.s. he owned 80-something Vette. I told him how much "I LOVED VETTES"!!! hahahahahahaha. sssssssh, our little secret.
I got tagged in Indianola yesterday, but not for speed - no front plate.

The guy was super cool and I think he honestly just wanted to see the car, never checked the insurance or registration. He just kept telling me how cool the car was and how awesome it sounded while he checked my license. Wanted to know where I ordered it from and what year it was, lol!

I suppose it didn't hurt that I was in uniform either.
Old 8/28/14, 01:56 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by SeaFoam
I got tagged in Indianola yesterday, but not for speed - no front plate. The guy was super cool and I think he honestly just wanted to see the car, never checked the insurance or registration. He just kept telling me how cool the car was and how awesome it sounded while he checked my license. Wanted to know where I ordered it from and what year it was, lol! I suppose it didn't hurt that I was in uniform either.
Being in uniform was key.
Old 8/28/14, 04:46 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5
Being in uniform was key.
I guess I can wear it to the rally next weekend and everywhere else, but that means I have to be a 'public figure' and behave. Speaking of which, I meant to tell you about it, sounds like it might be pretty good.

https://m.facebook.com/GoneIn60SecondsRally?_rdr
Old 8/29/14, 03:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Krohn
I've been pulled over, sadly, near 20 times but have only received 2 speeding tickets. My dad's an officer and has said what was previously stated, that walking up to a car at night having NO CLUE if you're about to be another statistic is one of the most scary feelings, yet normal since you do it countless times a night (back in the day when he was patrol).

Whenever I pull over, unless it's a Texas summer, I drop the windows, kill the motor, radio, and put both hands up on the steering wheel or on top of the door with my license and insurance in hand. Posture and verbal articulation and politeness go a LONG, LONG way.

I usually will pull off the highway and into a parking lot too because I'd hope someone would have done the same for my dad back when he was doing it. You see too many videos of cars, or LEOs getting hit standing on the side of the road.

I got asked once by an officer why I pulled so far over... he liked the answer.
Bingo!! We have a winner. Unless you just robbed a Bank or committed a Murder, you get a WARNING!

This is what I do now that I am retired and I have never gotten a ticket. Of course I know most the LEO guys in my area, because I still do some contract training.
Old 8/29/14, 03:37 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Since this guy released the vid the officer in the video probably got grilled by his higher ups for letting this guy go. And future racers/speeders being pulled over won't be so lucky.
Old 8/29/14, 04:34 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by SONICBOOST
Since this guy released the vid the officer in the video probably got grilled by his higher ups for letting this guy go. And future racers/speeders being pulled over won't be so lucky.
This!!!

If I hit the lottery and a cop lets me walk on a street racing ticket in not gonna advertise it to the world and possible get the guy some heat.

But people are stupid.
Old 8/29/14, 06:31 PM
GT Member

For some reason I just **** off traffic police. Mostly State patrol I can never make friends with. I rarely drink, Never any drugs, Roll down the windows, Only legal tint, no loud stereo/exhaust, Hands on the wheel and Yes/No sirs do nothing for me. But I still am polite every time. I must look like a villain.
Only once I have I been let off with a warning (I was driving my Moms car that just passed away. Expired tags but it takes quite awhile to get things transferred over and the officer said she just went through the same thing).
I got pulled once for doing 3mph over in a row of other cars all doing the same speed. he had to pull me out of the middle. But I was the only one with non-local plates so I was an easy ticket. Needless to say we don't go back to that state because of the other threats from that officer.
Speeding ticket for going faster then the speed governor will allow the car to go.
Most recently an officer said I was behind him and raced around him. I had just got on the highway from the on ramp. I was merging over.
I've even been told to get out of my car by gun point. I didn't get a ticket then because he was looking for someone else in the same type of car. That was 20+ years ago. Yes, I'm old.
Trust me. I have messed up and paid the price for it. Those one I don't whine about.

And yet I still defend them. That is a hard job and I wouldn't want it. I offer my gun range to them to do their qualifications. I just try really hard not to do anything wrong anymore.

PS: I just remembered a second time I was let off with no ticket. Recently a driver moved in from of me and slammed on the brakes. I rear ended them. Maybe my luck is changing?!

Last edited by HotFrosty; 8/29/14 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Change of luck.
Old 8/30/14, 10:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by houtex
I have 'gotten out' of tickets by using this exact method.

One of them was a profilin' though, so maybe it don't count. The others? Yep. Dead to rights, they had me... but let me go.

It pays, and pays well, to be nice to the officer.
Response not directed at any specific post, but I think the whole world would be a better place if we were all polite and respectful just because mama tried to teach us that... and not because it might get us out of a ticket.
Old 8/30/14, 12:33 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by wannabe
Response not directed at any specific post, but I think the whole world would be a better place if we were all polite and respectful just because mama tried to teach us that... and not because it might get us out of a ticket.
This. Especially to customer service reps. If they don't get what you want done, then you ask for the manager. The reps aren't paid enough to take your b*tchin for something they didn't do.