Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Watkins Glen track day video

Search this Thread

Old 8/19/14, 08:12 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
Watkins Glen track day video

Just got back from a great 2 days at Watkins Glen. Significant driver mod since last year and I was able to knock off about 6 seconds (!) off my previous best time. Still got some soft brake pedal, but the brakes were strong otherwise just had a bit more pedal travel which made heel-toeing hard.

I seem to be destroying rear brake pads... looks like I need to replace them again after a total of about 325 track miles. Driving harder = braking harder = chewing thru pads quicker...

I'm currently using Pagid RS56 on the rears and I had put 7 track days on them last set, but only got 3 on the latest set. I am driving the car significantly harder, so I know that's part of the "problem" - anyone have good luck with a longer lasting rear pad?

Anyways, here's my quick lap of the 2 day event.

Do me a favor and click the advertisement (takes like 10 seconds) - gets me money to fund track days and parts!!!!

You Tube
"> You Tube
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="384">

Last edited by dmichaels; 8/20/14 at 07:56 PM.
Old 8/19/14, 11:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Pretty cool. Are you going to post the results from the RX catch can usage during this run?

Wayne
Old 8/19/14, 11:18 PM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Amazing video, great track day. 142MPH on the back straight? Fantastic!
Old 8/20/14, 04:50 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by 70monte
Pretty cool. Are you going to post the results from the RX catch can usage during this run?

Wayne
Yep. Had no time to monitor during the event. Car is all cooled off now and will check things out later
Old 8/20/14, 09:58 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Derek, looks like you had a great time at the track and the video says it all.

Have you looked into cryogenically treated brake rotors? I don’t know how well this works on a mustang, but this mod extended the pad/rotor life on my former ‘06 crown vic.

Here’s the idea: http://www.frozenrotors.com/markets/race/
Old 8/20/14, 12:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Holy Christmas! That was impressive.
Old 8/20/14, 06:43 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by silverstate777
Derek, looks like you had a great time at the track and the video says it all.

Have you looked into cryogenically treated brake rotors? I don’t know how well this works on a mustang, but this mod extended the pad/rotor life on my former ‘06 crown vic.

Here’s the idea: http://www.frozenrotors.com/markets/race/
Yes, I've looked into cryo treated rotors. It is definitely applicable to extending rotor life - that doesn't seem to be my problem at present. I'm going to start playing around with other pad options. I think not having front SS lines is actually biasing my braking to the rear (more pressure in the rear than the front when the front brake lines heat and expand... my theory at least). That's the next add-on... we'll see if it works for Thompson next month
Old 8/20/14, 07:50 PM
GT Member

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Very nice. I see you have front brake ducts, ever consider rears? I know the fronts do the bulk of the work, but since you're eating up rear pads it might be worth trying. What tires/wheels are you using?
Old 8/20/14, 07:54 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by SilrBult
Very nice. I see you have front brake ducts, ever consider rears? I know the fronts do the bulk of the work, but since you're eating up rear pads it might be worth trying. What tires/wheels are you using?
Yeah, I have been thinking about rear cooling. Need to draw up some NACA ducts and backing plates to have my friend with a 3D printer make the ducts. And then weld up backing plates. It's probably going to be a winter project.

I'm currently running 09 era GT500 wheels (18x9.5) with Sumitomo HTR Z III tires. Purposely bought them because low cost and high treadwear. They are the only part I have that is not wearing quickly
Old 8/21/14, 11:53 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Hmm, I'm really interested in your solution to rear break cooling ducting.
Old 8/21/14, 01:47 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

If I do get something worked, I'll certainly post. If I can get something pretty "official" looking, I might try to sell some kits too. Winter project...
Old 8/22/14, 02:15 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dmichaels
Just got back from a great 2 days at Watkins Glen. Significant driver mod since last year and I was able to knock off about 6 seconds (!) off my previous best time. Still got some soft brake pedal, but the brakes were strong otherwise just had a bit more pedal travel which made heel-toeing hard.

I seem to be destroying rear brake pads... looks like I need to replace them again after a total of about 325 track miles. Driving harder = braking harder = chewing thru pads quicker...

I'm currently using Pagid RS56 on the rears and I had put 7 track days on them last set, but only got 3 on the latest set. I am driving the car significantly harder, so I know that's part of the "problem" - anyone have good luck with a longer lasting rear pad?

Anyways, here's my quick lap of the 2 day event.

Do me a favor and click the advertisement (takes like 10 seconds) - gets me money to fund track days and parts!!!!

http://youtu.be/lvoBr72h8pU">http://youtu.be/lvoBr72h8pU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="384">
what version of Harry's lap timer is that? am I correct? is that video animation emulation of you going around the track?
Old 8/22/14, 02:21 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by JoeMidnight
what version of Harry's lap timer is that? am I correct? is that video animation emulation of you going around the track?
I use Harry's Lap Timer - Grand Prix edition. I use it in combination with the GoPoint BT1 OBDII interface. Makes for pretty impressive video and data collection...

The video is real life driving. That was me, in my car, at Watkins Glen. It sort of looks like a video game....
Old 8/22/14, 02:34 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dmichaels
I use Harry's Lap Timer - Grand Prix edition. I use it in combination with the GoPoint BT1 OBDII interface. Makes for pretty impressive video and data collection...

The video is real life driving. That was me, in my car, at Watkins Glen. It sort of looks like a video game....
very cool! i have the Petrol head version of Harry's lap timer. I haven't driven on a track yet... just wanted to try it out, seemed really cool!

and that's interesting. I was pretty confused. Some aspects of the video (hood,reflections, sky) looked real and then the grass looked like it was a cartoon world!

thanks, i'm going to look at that OBDII interface as well
Old 8/22/14, 02:47 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by JoeMidnight
very cool! i have the Petrol head version of Harry's lap timer. I haven't driven on a track yet... just wanted to try it out, seemed really cool!

and that's interesting. I was pretty confused. Some aspects of the video (hood,reflections, sky) looked real and then the grass looked like it was a cartoon world!

thanks, i'm going to look at that OBDII interface as well
Highly recommend the OBDII gizmo. There are a couple that work as I understand, but I've only used the GoPoint one and I've had excellent luck with it thus far. it also reads and clears CEL codes in all cars. And I can use it to monitor my Jeep ECU parameters while towing the Mustang to events. It's worth its weight in gold to me!

Yeah, I understand the confusion on the Harry's - some of the video does look very much like modern driving simulations. I guess that's a big "well done" to the folks that write that software as it is so good it truly looks almost real. But I only do the real life stuff - simulation has it's purpose and fun, but nothing beats getting out there and pulling 1.2+ laternal g's and hitting a heel-toe perfect right before nailing an apex... that all said, i could save myself a boat load of money by just driving simulation games
Old 8/22/14, 07:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great vid man. I noticed this time around you were pretty much always high up in the rev range in 4th and 5th, whereas in some of your previous ones at Thompson you spend most of your time in 3rd and 4th, some 5th on the odd straight. Watkins Glen must be a lot more wide open...I know I see it all the time on Speed Channel in sports car racing, is it more setup for real fast racecar type stuff?
Old 8/23/14, 05:46 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Yes the Glen is a much faster track and high HP cars do very well there.
Old 8/23/14, 07:00 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So freaking cool! I wish I could see the whole run!
Old 8/23/14, 07:13 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,621 Posts
Originally Posted by OnceYouGoBlack
Josh is that your car in your avatar? If so you now have my favorite avatar! :rock:
Old 8/23/14, 07:14 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by OnceYouGoBlack

Here's a little more video if you're interested... chasing a NSX and E92 M3

Watkins Glen - Mustang, NSX, and M3 - YouTube
"> Watkins Glen - Mustang, NSX, and M3 - YouTube
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="384">

Last edited by dmichaels; 8/23/14 at 07:15 PM.