2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

usb sync issues.

Old 9/16/14, 09:11 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
usb sync issues.

I have a base mustang with sync, I am playing music off of a 500gb hard drive it's formatted fat32. I have all my music in a folder named music. Along with about 25 movies. At time when I start my car it will say usb selected then I will get a brief message saying usb disconnected then when I go to choose source I select usb and it says "usb empty" it seems like it lets me select Ian whenever it feels like it. It's very frustrating because on my daily commute I would like to listen to my music. There are days when I just give up in it and turn the radio off. I pulled fuse #3 and that didn't help I also did a master reset with no luck either. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks
Old 9/16/14, 09:45 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Get a thumb drive. Maybe SYNC is trying to index the movies as music.

Last edited by TheReaper; 9/16/14 at 09:47 PM.
Old 9/16/14, 10:37 PM
V6 Member

Even tho it's all under a music file
Old 9/16/14, 11:17 PM
Cobra Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
Definitely a thumb drive and the important thing is the tags on each of the music files. I have a Word doc that details it all and would be happy to send it to you. PM me your email address if interested. I have over 300 albums on a thumb drive and select music with voice commands by artist, album name, track name, or genre. My thumb drive is connected to USB2, a micro USB port on the sync module, and sits in my glove box.
Old 9/16/14, 11:25 PM
V6 Member

Where is this slot I tried looking for it? So best bet is a thumb drive?
Old 9/17/14, 06:39 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 5.0jrdnsky59
Hard drive probably has errors on it from the beating it takes every time you hit a bump. Platters don't like it when the heads are hitting them.
Old 9/17/14, 12:16 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
This may help.
Attached Files
File Type: txt
2011 Mustang Glovebox USB.txt (1.7 KB, 277 views)
Old 9/17/14, 01:02 PM
Cobra Member

I don't know if your glove box is the same as mine. My car is a 2014. Let's assume it is the same. Empty your glove box. The sides of the box are flexible. There are bits on both outer sides that are the stops. Pull both sides toward the center and you should be able to get the box to fall open further. It may take a little work back and forth between the two sides. Once the box has fallen further open you will be able to easily see the Sync module - a black box possibly with a white label on the underside. On the edge toward the firewall there is a cable plugged in. Right next to that cable there is a micro USB port on the side toward the passenger door. That's where you plug in a micro USB cable. Once you have that cable plugged in you can drape it over the back wall of the glove box and close the glove box.
Old 9/17/14, 01:46 PM
GT Member

I have read that music files formatted with Mediamonkey work well with Sync. Is what you format your music with crucial to it's interaction with Sync?
Old 9/17/14, 03:09 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by The Sheriff
I have read that music files formatted with Mediamonkey work well with Sync. Is what you format your music with crucial to it's interaction with Sync?
I don't believe so. I ripped my CDs to my hard drive in my laptop and then used MP3Tag to get the tags squared away. Once that was done I copied them all to my thumb drive. Some of my music is MP3s but a lot of it is WMA format. Both work with Sync. I'm now converting all the WMA files to MP3s because my Android tablet won't play WMA files. I'm building a second thumb drive that I can take with my tablet when I'm not in my Mustang. For Sync the tags are the critical part.
Old 9/17/14, 03:50 PM
V6 Member

All of my music files are downloaded content. I think I'm gonna purchase a thumb drive it happened to me on my way home from work it's really frustrating
Old 9/17/14, 08:07 PM

Wow I didn't know there was an option for a second USB, good to know. I just plug a 32Gb flash drive into my console. With all that music its pretty hard to navigate at times.

I found the best way for me is to make playlists. It works great and you don't need to have the ID3 tags perfect. I use Winamp to create the playlists and then just save them to the root of the USB drive along with the music.

Just say "Play playlist <playlist-name>"

I know that sync is pretty powerful if the ID3 tags in your music is setup properly. Its pretty cool to just play a certain artist but I just don't have the time to get all my ID3 tags in order and playlists are close to the next best thing.
Old 9/17/14, 09:35 PM
V6 Member

I'm gonna look into the flash drive I have a large collection of music I took the hard drive out of my car to avoid any more headaches lol. I try to download all my content at 320kps so 1000+ songs will require a decent size flash drive if any available.
Old 9/17/14, 10:33 PM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by tukatz
Definitely a thumb drive and the important thing is the tags on each of the music files. I have a Word doc that details it all and would be happy to send it to you. PM me your email address if interested. I have over 300 albums on a thumb drive and select music with voice commands by artist, album name, track name, or genre. My thumb drive is connected to USB2, a micro USB port on the sync module, and sits in my glove box.
---
Tom, I sent you a PM with my e-mail, I'd like that Word doc please, thanks. I have some tracks that seem to be fine with my iTunes, but Sync can't read the Artist. I'd love to clean these up.
Old 9/17/14, 11:33 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by PJRManagement
---
Tom, I sent you a PM with my e-mail, I'd like that Word doc please, thanks. I have some tracks that seem to be fine with my iTunes, but Sync can't read the Artist. I'd love to clean these up.
I'm sending the doc to you. Note that there are two separate tags - artist and album artist. I'm pretty certain that when you tell Sync to play Artist Miles Davis Sync looks at the Album Artist tag. That may be your problem. Please let us know.
Old 9/18/14, 12:16 PM
Bullitt Member

I'm gonna look into the flash drive I have a large collection of music I took the hard drive out of my car to avoid any more headaches lol. I try to download all my content at 320kps so 1000+ songs will require a decent size flash drive if any available.
They have them as large as 256 gigs now. I have several 128 gig Patriot drives.
Old 9/18/14, 12:46 PM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just bought a 64GB USB thumb drive that was on sale from Amazon for about $20 bucks. I bought it just for the purpose of leaving it in my Mustang in the console USB port with all of my MP3s. I now have my entire collection of about 15,000 tracks available in Sync. Cheap and easy. I also found another post detailing how to make playlists so I'm good to go.
Old 9/18/14, 04:57 PM
Cobra Member

Sounds like the Lexar that I bought from Amazon recently. Have you thought about connecting it to the second USB port and having it in your glove box rather than in the console?
Old 9/18/14, 05:27 PM
V6 Member

No I havnt up until someone mentioned it but I can't seem to find that second urn port
Old 9/18/14, 06:51 PM
Cobra Member

No I havnt up until someone mentioned it but I can't seem to find that second urn port
Look at my post #8 in this thread for an explanation of how to open the glove box further so easily see the Sync module. The second USB port is on the firewall edge of the Sync module and is a micro USB.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: usb sync issues.