2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Tuning a warranty car - worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 10/23/15, 05:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hear you on the gas Kanine. I drive 60+ miles a day. As a test one week, I tried to see if I could go 5 days on one tank of gas. I pulled it off with 20 miles to E. Unfortuntely, the driving experience is not something I want to trade off for a few extra mpg's.

If Zto5 is reading... How do you like JDM for tuning? They are about 45 mins drive from where I am.
Old 10/23/15, 08:36 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Last1
I hear you on the gas Kanine. I drive 60+ miles a day. As a test one week, I tried to see if I could go 5 days on one tank of gas. I pulled it off with 20 miles to E. Unfortuntely, the driving experience is not something I want to trade off for a few extra mpg's.

If Zto5 is reading... How do you like JDM for tuning? They are about 45 mins drive from where I am.
Hey buddy... yes, you KNOW I'm reading. LOL.

In a nutshell, I love JDM Engineering, esp Nick P. If/When you do go with them, make sure you work with Nick. That kid has been fantastic. Customer service and technical depth. Bundle that all together and you get the whole package. I'm very happy with my tunes from him. Jim Sr. writes the tunes but Nick works with the customers. I first went with him when I upgraded my Maggie pulley from stock 3.9 to 3.6. The stock Magnuson tune (that came with the blower kit) was super duper rich, inefficient, and just very jumpy, and not very drivable. We went through 4 or 5 tune iterations because, well, they're perfectionists. Their tuning is very conservative too, which I like. They err on caution rather than power. Their throttle response is also right on the money - responsive, but not overly so... I datalogged and essentially street tuned with them (logging idle, cruising, and wot). There are not too many Magnuson blown Coyotes out there, but they still did a fantastic job on my setup.

I'm on the latest iteration now with my new 98mm intake. And since they know me and my car pretty well, they gave me one tune, and it's been dead on perfect right away. Other part I love about Nick? Everyone (vendors, friends, forums, etc.) all told me the next mod for my car was Headers and Hi flow/No cats. I was all prepared to do that, but Nick actually told me I need to focus on my air restriction. The Maggie uses the stock MAF, so it was at 82mm... he said I should open that up first before messing with the headers/cats. So while everyone was trying to sell me those mods, Nick wanted to do what was right. I have since done that, and now my car is running perfectly, at about 570-575whp. They will be looking at my tune next spring when I throw Kooks LTH's/H cats on, and retune if necessary.

So long story short, I highly recommend JDM Engineering - go with Nick P., tell him Burton from Iowa sent you.

Last edited by FromZto5; 10/23/15 at 08:38 AM.
Old 10/23/15, 12:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Many thanks for the great write up, Burton! Sounds like JDM is the way to go come Spring. I want to pair the tune with a better intake/TB. As much as I want a blower I just can't swing it financially. I'm going to keep it N/A for a while. Just out of curiousity... You drive all the way to NJ to get your mods done?
Old 10/23/15, 01:10 PM
I Have No Life

Many thanks for the great write up, Burton! Sounds like JDM is the way to go come Spring. I want to pair the tune with a better intake/TB. As much as I want a blower I just can't swing it financially. I'm going to keep it N/A for a while. Just out of curiousity... You drive all the way to NJ to get your mods done?
No problem at all. Folks who know me know that I give credit and am honest where credit is due, but I also am honest if I encounter bad customer service and bad quality from vendors. Some vendors on here I won't touch with a 10 foot pole based on personal experience.

As far as my mods, I do all the purchasing and installing myself (except headers in spring which I'll have done professionally). With JDM being in New Jersey, that's why I mentioned that I pretty much deal with them on the phone and through remote tuning. In my mind and in their mind, I am not just some random customer from the Internet. Despite the distance, they work with me over the phone and through email, then they send me the tune and we go from there.

Last edited by FromZto5; 10/23/15 at 02:12 PM.
Old 10/23/15, 01:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
2 words....**** yeah!

I put the Procal on my '12 and with a slick, it did 11.91 at 115. The car was transformed in how it drove and felt. I ran the tune for over 3 years, no issues. I had it "installed" at a Ford dealer for the purpose of the FRPP warranty. Cost me $60.

I'm going VMP on my new '14 auto, very soon.....
Old 10/23/15, 01:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

It looks like around $700 for the unit and tune. I guess it'll be worth it though! The sluggish throttle response is what I dislike the most about my car's performance. It always feels like there is a bit of a delay.
Old 10/23/15, 02:14 PM
I Have No Life

It looks like around $700 for the unit and tune. I guess it'll be worth it though! The sluggish throttle response is what I dislike the most about my car's performance. It always feels like there is a bit of a delay.
^ that sluggish delay from Magnuson, is what Nick and JDM addressed with their tunes. I love it.
Old 10/23/15, 04:23 PM
V6 Member

Alright guys. Y'all talked me into it.....I'm placing an order tomorrow for the Steeda CAI/tune power kit. I'll tell my wife I'm buying brakes or something. LOL

Thanks for all the great input. Maybe this will keep me happy for a few weeks.....
Old 10/23/15, 06:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by RTR-5.0
Alright guys. Y'all talked me into it.....I'm placing an order tomorrow for the Steeda CAI/tune power kit. I'll tell my wife I'm buying brakes or something. LOL

Thanks for all the great input. Maybe this will keep me happy for a few weeks.....
Please let us know what you think. I'm trying to decide on Steeda or Trackcal. ( because.....California)
Old 10/23/15, 06:34 PM
Bullitt Member

I got all caught up chasing power and forgot how much fun the car was with just a good tune on it. Easy and really rewarding, compared to how I ended up after I decided I needed 600+ horsepower....

It really is about knowing when your enjoying yourself and being able to say enough's enough.
Attached Thumbnails Tuning a warranty car - worth it?-img_1857.jpg   Tuning a warranty car - worth it?-img_1859.jpg   Tuning a warranty car - worth it?-img_1863.jpg  
Old 10/23/15, 08:28 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

You won't be disappointed ... you are in good hands with Steeda! Just don't take us down with you when you get busted, lol.

TJ
Old 10/23/15, 08:30 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by 5LHO
I got all caught up chasing power and forgot how much fun the car was with just a good tune on it. Easy and really rewarding, compared to how I ended up after I decided I needed 600+ horsepower....

It really is about knowing when your enjoying yourself and being able to say enough's enough.
Wow man, everyone okay?
Old 10/23/15, 08:30 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

It sounds like you are okay & glad to see it.

Yes, with power comes the added upgrades to the suspension. All that power is no good if you can't control it.

Like I said, glad you are still on the boards & doing well.

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 10/23/15, 08:33 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by 5LHO

The Driver mod is the most important with high HP.
Old 10/24/15, 08:24 AM
Bullitt Member

I've been building and track racing cars for over 30 years. It's no guarantee but, experience does help, it just didn't here.

I had appropriate rear suspension mods and good tires but, it was one of those things...you see a bit of empty, straight road and decide to give 'er a bit and stuff happens. My mistake in judgment, I own it totally. I self-extricated and walked away with two busted ribs, which has got to be next to a miracle if you're spiritually-minded.

It was a transcendental experience being in the air when she went over and I'll never forget the sounds and how hard the hit the passenger side was when it smoked a 10" tree.

The new car is going to stay tune only for a good bit. The car is amazingly more competent than the '12 was, right from the get go. Tune and traction on the '12 was alot of fun. This should be likewise. My aim now is to tune and traction the '14 into the 11s, like I did with the '12.

Everybody, please play safe....
Old 10/25/15, 06:43 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by dmichaels
Still amazed people want more power. I rarely use WOT for more than a few seconds on the street. At the track the car has plenty of power to beat up on almost anything provided brakes and suspension are up to the task (and the driver....)

I'm completely satisfied with oem power. After 2.5 years and 3000+ track miles I still have no desire for more power. More downforce tho please
Doesn't surprise me (look at how many old guys buy Shelbys then do crap like the Super Snake package and then never track the car). It's all about theoretical performance and being a stoplight/highway on-ramp hero for so many. I'm with you - would much rather have 10k in suspension/brake upgrades than a blower setup.
Old 10/25/15, 08:01 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by kylerohde
Doesn't surprise me (look at how many old guys buy Shelbys then do crap like the Super Snake package and then never track the car). It's all about theoretical performance and being a stoplight/highway on-ramp hero for so many. I'm with you - would much rather have 10k in suspension/brake upgrades than a blower setup.
Kyle, why not blower setup AND suspension?
Old 10/28/15, 10:19 PM
V6 Member

Update - CAI and 93 tune installed

Originally Posted by BackroadGT
Please let us know what you think. I'm trying to decide on Steeda or Trackcal. ( because.....California)
Holy **** did this tune wake the car up! I've only taken it for a quick spin around the neighborhood, but it feels like a different car. I'm going to have to get this thing down to a shop and dyno it.

One note - the open CAI has some interesting sounds when on throttle. You can hear it gasping and sucking air in. It'll take a while to get used to that.

I'll update more as I drive on my normal commute.
Old 10/29/15, 05:36 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by RTR-5.0
Holy **** did this tune wake the car up! I've only taken it for a quick spin around the neighborhood, but it feels like a different car. I'm going to have to get this thing down to a shop and dyno it.

One note - the open CAI has some interesting sounds when on throttle. You can hear it gasping and sucking air in. It'll take a while to get used to that.

I'll update more as I drive on my normal commute.
That's awesome! I've read many reviews just like yours. I haven't heard any negative comments about Steeda tunes.
Old 10/29/15, 11:31 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

That's awesome! I've read many reviews just like yours. I haven't heard any negative comments about Steeda tunes

Best Regards,

TJ

Quick Reply: Tuning a warranty car - worth it?