Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Traction Control and Advancetrac

Search this Thread

Old 3/30/15, 06:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Traction Control and Advancetrac

I know these threads have been beaten to death but I have a question.

So while holding the brake pedal down and holding the TC button down for a number of seconds I get the "advancetrac off" message, and the traction control light illuminates on my dash.

Why is it the system still kicks in if the computer believes the car gets too far out of shape?

I believe I read somewhere that the advancetrac system never fully disengages on the 13/14 auto cars.

Is this accurate? So even when you believe you have turned it off it really isn't off.

Last edited by 2014GHIGGT; 3/30/15 at 06:13 PM.
Old 3/30/15, 06:18 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
it shouldn't and doesn't sounds like you have it off.

So, you're doing the following?

hold down the brake. press TC button and hit OK.

then press and hold the TC for i dunno... 5 seconds or so, it should say advancedtrac off ...

you should be able to do donuts or burnouts.

advancedtrac is the last layer of traction control..... you're sure you're turning it off and not just regular traction control?
Old 3/30/15, 06:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
I'm not sure on the auto cars.
But on my manual trans car with track pack, when I hold the button down for 8sec. and advance track off shows up, I'm on my own,the car never kicks in to "try" to help out.
I have gotten crazy out of control before on a autocross track when I spun out at about 65mph.
Old 3/30/15, 06:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by JoeMidnight
it shouldn't and doesn't sounds like you have it off.

So, you're doing the following?

hold down the brake. press TC button and hit OK.

then press and hold the TC for i dunno... 5 seconds or so, it should say advancedtrac off ...

you should be able to do donuts or burnouts.

advancedtrac is the last layer of traction control..... you're sure you're turning it off and not just regular traction control?
In Park, Foot on brake, hold traction control button down, get message "advancetrac off"

When I put the car in drive, and stab the gas pedal the stability control kicks in sometimes. Power gets cut for a second or two.

I had this issue sometimes before the mods, so I am certain it isn't that. same symptoms.
Old 3/30/15, 06:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by 2014GHIGGT
In Park, Foot on brake, hold traction control button down, get message "advancetrac off"

When I put the car in drive, and stab the gas pedal the stability control kicks in sometimes. Power gets cut for a second or two.

I had this issue sometimes before the mods, so I am certain it isn't that. same symptoms.
Maybe it's a auto trans thing!
Can some one else with a auto trans give us insight?
Because my manual is definitely not like that!
Old 3/30/15, 06:32 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
In Park, Foot on brake, hold traction control button down, get message "advancetrac off" When I put the car in drive, and stab the gas pedal the stability control kicks in sometimes. Power gets cut for a second or two. I had this issue sometimes before the mods, so I am certain it isn't that. same symptoms.
Interesting. I wonder if it can be tuned off. On my 03, I had it tuned off, but it was an auto car that had been converted to a T56, so I have no idea what was going on with the ECU...
Old 3/30/15, 06:43 PM
Cobra Member

interesting indeed! i can't see why ford would do that for Mustangs equipped with auto transmissions. hopefully others can chime in and share their experience. if this is the case, you have every right to be pissed right off!
Old 3/30/15, 07:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Once I hold the brake down then the button for 6-8 sec I get this and then I can go sideways.
Attached Thumbnails Traction Control and Advancetrac-20150330_213707.jpg  
Old 3/30/15, 07:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
And yes after I got sideways my car flipped upside down. Lol
Old 3/30/15, 08:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ford vehicles have 2 systems in place: Advancetrac which cuts the power in limited traction situations (like icy conditions or burnouts) and Stabilitrac. I read that the ESC CANNOT be disabled in newer ford vehicles. But I know on the ford F-150's you can disable it if you are stuck in mud or snow.

Also, when I get into my mustang and press the brake pedal and then push the TC button, I always get the "AdvancedTrac Off" message.

I push the button with nothing else depressed (no brake), I also push the brake and the button for one second.
Or push the brake and hold the button for 8 seconds. Either way, I always get the same message and same behaviour no matter what.

I've turned it off while moving and doing 40. I've turned it off at stop lights... Doesn't matter. Always the same message and behaviour.
Old 3/30/15, 08:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I stand corrected.
I was seeing "traction control off" with the push of a button, and "AdvancedTrac" off with the button held. My apologies guys!

Hopefully this video clears up some things.

Old 3/30/15, 09:56 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by ElkGroveFordGuy
Maybe it's a auto trans thing!
Can some one else with a auto trans give us insight?
Because my manual is definitely not like that!
With the AdvanceTrac off the auto car will do donuts and go completely out of control if you let it. I know mine will.
Old 3/30/15, 10:30 PM
Bullitt Member

Brake on and double click the TC button will give you sport mode. I hate this mode as it's too slow and inconsistent to rely on. All on or TC off or all off for me.
Still light years behind Chevy's PTM. I really hope Ford gets better. Getting into higher tech racing should help.
Old 3/31/15, 02:54 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
There is either an issue with advancetrac or something else is happening. Does it happen while attempting a burnout, or is it trying to correct your car going sideways while at speed?

It could be that the gearbox is trying to upshift, causing you to lose power. You could also be hitting a good piece of pavement offering more traction that is causing you to straighten out a bit. Otherwise it sounds like you have an issue with the vehicle.
Old 3/31/15, 03:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The more I read, the more confused I am. My GT Premium 6 speed manual, I normally just push the button once, I don't hold it and I'm not even sure about the brake. With only doing that I have no problem lighting the tires up. Is the an Auto trans thing?
Old 3/31/15, 07:16 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I know these threads have been beaten to death but I have a question.

So while holding the brake pedal down and holding the TC button down for a number of seconds I get the "advancetrac off" message, and the traction control light illuminates on my dash.
Why is it the system still kicks in if the computer believes the car gets too far out of shape?
I believe I read somewhere that the advancetrac system never fully disengages on the 13/14 auto cars.

Is this accurate? So even when you believe you have turned it off it really isn't off.
Have you addressed this with your Ford Dealer, 2014GHIGGT? Your service manager is in the best position to ensure a proper diagnosis and make sure there’s nothing going on. If you haven’t, please make an appointment with them as soon as possible. Also, please PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number so I can escalate it if needed.

Deysha
Old 3/31/15, 07:17 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by trizzot
The more I read, the more confused I am. My GT Premium 6 speed manual, I normally just push the button once, I don't hold it and I'm not even sure about the brake. With only doing that I have no problem lighting the tires up. Is the an Auto trans thing?
No, that just disables traction control only. Can do a burnout, but once the car gets a little sideways advancetrac will kick in. Long press with brakes on will disable both.
Old 3/31/15, 07:58 AM
Mach 1 Member

Quick update on this. I do believe I have an issue with my advancetrac/traction control system.

1. I drove my car this morning into work in "sport mode" and the car is a beast. no issues at all. Car launches well, no bogging, etc.

2. If I put my foot on the brake, and hold the TC button until "advancetrac off" message is displayed. when launching hard from a light, and the car spins the tires hard for about 20 feet, then the system kills power to the car. Something is definitely not disabled in the system even though everything should be disabled.

Thoughts???
Old 3/31/15, 08:01 AM
Cobra Member

Quick update on this. I do believe I have an issue with my advancetrac/traction control system.

1. I drove my car this morning into work in "sport mode" and the car is a beast. no issues at all. Car launches well, no bogging, etc.

2. If I put my foot on the brake, and hold the TC button until "advancetrac off" message is displayed. when launching hard from a light, and the car spins the tires hard for about 20 feet, then the system kills power to the car. Something is definitely not disabled in the system even though everything should be disabled.

Thoughts???

Yeah, I'd be taking it to the dealership for it to be looked at. You'd be the best person to demonstrate it as well. I wouldn't want them to abuse them to abuse my car for testing purposes.

Somethings definitely off if Sportmode is more aggressive than AdvancedTrac off.

It should be the other way around.

Edit: I typically don't play with sport mode either, I couldn't tell you exactly what is different between the two modes other than that Advancedtrac offers zero protection in helping you keep the car safe where as sportmode still does. I typically have the nannies either on or OFF.

I know that with advancedtrac off. you can do donuts, burnouts to you hearts content. Not sure about limitations with sportmode.

Last edited by JoeMidnight; 3/31/15 at 08:04 AM.
Old 3/31/15, 08:35 AM
Cobra R Member

Sport mode just reduces the amount TC and AT limit things.

Quick Reply: Traction Control and Advancetrac