Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Tires, which ones are quiet?

Search this Thread

Old 9/28/14, 03:52 AM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by 70monte
The noise I'm hearing is more of a hollow roaring sound. It's a constant sound until you come to a stop. I've also heard that the Nitto's are good. Today I drove my fiancée's 07GT with the factory 17" Pirelli P Zero Nero tires on it and her tires have none of the noise I'm hearing on my car. Her car and tires only have 16,500 miles on them. I keep going back and forth on whether or not it's a tire issue or a rear end/driveshaft issue. Maybe the rear end and or driveshaft isn't making noise at lower rpms but is at higher ones? Is that possible? I can't get any help so far at the dealership so I may try a different one and see what they say. Wayne
Pirelli doesn't make good tires. Anyone that tells you different doesn't know the difference. Most tire shops that have been in business for a long time don't even deal Pirelli for that reason. Like stated before, you can't go wrong with Michelin. Toyo would be my second choice. Continental seems to be popular here but I am not a fan. Nitto makes a great tire for the price also but they are not as impressive as Michelin or Toyo. I've tried most of the brands out there since I worked for many tire shops in the past. Always looking for that great set of tires. I personally buy Toyo for my own vehicles just because they are better priced than Michelin and have comparable performance. The rest of them out there are inferior in my opinion.
Old 9/28/14, 04:15 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by AlsCobra
Pirelli doesn't make good tires. Anyone that tells you different doesn't know the difference. Most tire shops that have been in business for a long time don't even deal Pirelli for that reason. Like stated before, you can't go wrong with Michelin. Toyo would be my second choice. Continental seems to be popular here but I am not a fan. Nitto makes a great tire for the price also but they are not as impressive as Michelin or Toyo. I've tried most of the brands out there since I worked for many tire shops in the past. Always looking for that great set of tires. I personally buy Toyo for my own vehicles just because they are better priced than Michelin and have comparable performance. The rest of them out there are inferior in my opinion.
Thanks for this info. Like I said before, I've run Michelin before and have had very good luck with them on my trucks. My 98 chevy K3500 4x4 truck still runs Michelin LTX M/S on it and I just took off a set of Michelin LTX A/T that were on my 98 chevy K1500 4x4 that had been on the truck since 2001. The only reason I replaced them were because they were starting to dry rot and had gotten hard and the ride was horrible. They still have about 7-8 32nds of tread left.

I guess I had better start saving up for whatever I decide to get as none of these tires are cheap.

Wayne
Old 9/28/14, 05:52 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by AlsCobra
Pretty much this. I've never ran a set of Toyos though. I think it's just about the only brand I haven't tried. I've had good luck with Falken though. And I LOVED my General Exclaim UHPs. It's really too bad they stopped making those. They were incredibly cheap too. Whatever they replaced them with, sucks!
Old 9/28/14, 07:35 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
I hate the stock tires.

Last time I was at the shop with my mom's car, I asked about new tires for my Mustang. He mentioned how the car was new and why I need new tires already, and mentioned that I hated the stock tires. He was a bit baffled...until I mentioned they were Pirellis.

For whatever reason the Continentals I had on my Focus were a similar experience. Not too and when brand new, but after some wear they were SUPER loud. I'll be switching to BFG comp-2 next summer....same as I did with my Focus.
Old 9/28/14, 09:00 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Joeywhat
I hate the stock tires. Last time I was at the shop with my mom's car, I asked about new tires for my Mustang. He mentioned how the car was new and why I need new tires already, and mentioned that I hated the stock tires. He was a bit baffled...until I mentioned they were Pirellis. For whatever reason the Continentals I had on my Focus were a similar experience. Not too and when brand new, but after some wear they were SUPER loud. I'll be switching to BFG comp-2 next summer....same as I did with my Focus.
I like the Comp 2s too, but we have those on my mom's 03 Focus. They were quiet when new, but got a little more vocal with some miles. That said, it's a 1st gen Focus, which has about zero sound deadening, so any tire has road noise on that car lol
Old 9/28/14, 01:22 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 387 Likes on 284 Posts
I fell your pain brother Wayne. Our GT has 16K miles, and the Pirellis' have grown in road noise. Depending on the composition of the road they become louder. I'm going to stick with them a bit longer, but they can really **** me off at times. I just threw away a half way decent set of Goodyear EMT run flats on my C6 because I couldn't hear myself think at times. The Wifey would probably kill me if I said I was buying a new set for the Mustang.
Old 9/28/14, 01:40 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38
I like the Comp 2s too, but we have those on my mom's 03 Focus. They were quiet when new, but got a little more vocal with some miles. That said, it's a 1st gen Focus, which has about zero sound deadening, so any tire has road noise on that car lol
Yeah they aren't the quietest tires in the world, but they're not awful and they perform wonderfully so I don't mind. I can handle the noise if they are otherwise great, but it's just absurd when the tire already sucks.
Old 9/28/14, 03:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The first day I drove my '14 to the office, my boss (who drives an Audi S4 with the same Pirelli Zeros) said "You are going to hate the noise those things make after a couple of months!"

I keep waiting for the Pirellis to get loud- but so far (knock on wood) they aren't that bad. I do hate the fact that they lose all traction in the cold, however.

I have had several sets of Michelins that were super quiet. I've also had two sets of Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires (different cars), and IMO they are the best overall tire on the market. They've lasted forever, super quiet, nice ride, and handle well in all kinds of weather. For me, they have been the perfect tire (the only knock would be the appearance of the sidewall- the tread wraps around to the exterior of the tire- just annoying).
Old 9/28/14, 03:27 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Varilux
The first day I drove my '14 to the office, my boss (who drives an Audi S4 with the same Pirelli Zeros) said "You are going to hate the noise those things make after a couple of months!" I keep waiting for the Pirellis to get loud- but so far (knock on wood) they aren't that bad. I do hate the fact that they lose all traction in the cold, however. I have had several sets of Michelins that were super quiet. I've also had two sets of Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires (different cars), and IMO they are the best overall tire on the market. They've lasted forever, super quiet, nice ride, and handle well in all kinds of weather. For me, they have been the perfect tire (the only knock would be the appearance of the sidewall- the tread wraps around to the exterior of the tire- just annoying).
Agree on all accounts. The DWS is one ugly tire. And you have to keep shine on them or they turn brown, but they are great performing.
Old 9/28/14, 04:05 PM
MJJ
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nitto is owned by Toyo BTW.

Look at this list for noise. Noticed the DW are ranked high for low noise.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...ay.jsp?type=MP
Old 9/28/14, 07:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by wanted33
I fell your pain brother Wayne. Our GT has 16K miles, and the Pirellis' have grown in road noise. Depending on the composition of the road they become louder. I'm going to stick with them a bit longer, but they can really **** me off at times. I just threw away a half way decent set of Goodyear EMT run flats on my C6 because I couldn't hear myself think at times. The Wifey would probably kill me if I said I was buying a new set for the Mustang.
It's hard for me to think about getting rid of tires with only 9,700 miles on them but I don't know how much longer I can stand to run them. It's mainly when I have to run the car with the windows up that it really gets annoying.

I was looking through the tire warranty info that I got with the car and even though the 1 year replacement period is gone, there is still some pro-rated time left. I'm going to talk to either the dealer or Pirelli themselves to see what they say about the tire slightly wobbling while I had It up on jack stands running and see if they consider that a defect. It won't hurt to try even though I probably already know the answer.

Wayne
Old 9/28/14, 07:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by laserred38
Agree on all accounts. The DWS is one ugly tire. And you have to keep shine on them or they turn brown, but they are great performing.
I absolutely abhorred the DWS for anything other than a semi-snow winter tire. My GTO had full suspension (shocks, springs, sways, poly bushings) and switching to the DWSs completely negated all the control I gained by doing the suspension. They were sloppy as sin under any lateral G.
Old 9/28/14, 08:08 PM
Bullitt Member

I have to ask, seems like the tires being chosen are all weather tires and the Pirelli's being picked on are summer only tires. If you use the Pirelli's as intended (Track Use) why would anyone complain about road noise? I have a 2014 GT Track Pack with the Pirelli's and only use the car during the summer months in New England, I think they perform fine on and off the track ( Granted I'm no expert but the post about the GTO and all the suspension mods he put on and then put a "all season tire" on just doesn't seem right to me. Am I way off here? I'm trying to figure out what I might put on next but I don't think I'll be looking for anything in a all season tire.
Old 9/28/14, 08:19 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Over the years and many sports cars I have come to realize the significant difference between tires esp going from a summer only sticky tire to a high performance all season tire. We are not talking about a Honda Civic SI here the Mustang GT can get you into some issues with a tire that is not something that sticks to the road. If you just drive nice and easy to church on Sunday or the corner store and don't put your foot in it fine you will prob never notice a difference. However if you at times like to say drop the hammer and also pull some G's then don't compromise on the rubber. The Mustang GT really needs a sticky summer only tire I realized this the first time I drove mine home. By the way there are many good choices out there.
Old 9/29/14, 04:55 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Kestral
Over the years and many sports cars I have come to realize the significant difference between tires esp going from a summer only sticky tire to a high performance all season tire. We are not talking about a Honda Civic SI here the Mustang GT can get you into some issues with a tire that is not something that sticks to the road. If you just drive nice and easy to church on Sunday or the corner store and don't put your foot in it fine you will prob never notice a difference. However if you at times like to say drop the hammer and also pull some G's then don't compromise on the rubber. The Mustang GT really needs a sticky summer only tire I realized this the first time I drove mine home. By the way there are many good choices out there.
That's the point I was trying to make above, additionally, when I'm on the track (This is where that car was truly built for) I don't care at all about road noise.. Tires need to balance perfectly and stick!! IMO!
Old 9/29/14, 06:17 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
I was a Pirelli (A/S 235/50-18) 'fan boy' until i hit 15,000 miles. No road noise and great traction until 15,000 miles. At 15,000 miles they became unsafe, like driving on a wet road all the time. I had to buy new tires at 19,000 miles, only for safety reasons.

I went with Copper Zeon RS3-A (255/45-18). I've had them for almost a year, but i only drive my Mustang a couple thousand miles a year so i can't say how they perform for a few more years. So far i love them but all tires are good when they are new
Old 9/29/14, 09:18 AM
GT Member

70monte stupid question, but have you rotated your tires regularly? I was getting the same type of noise from my front left but after rotating this weekend, it's gone. I've tried to keep on a 5000 mile schedule but went went out to 8k miles this last oil change. My car's at about 22k miles. I drive nothing but highway, pretty much.

Also, I know on many of the Texas roads I drive, they've gone to a courser asphalt mix that, while grippier in the rain, is loud as can be compared to smoother roads of yore...
Old 9/29/14, 10:20 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
^ i had the same experience. tire rotation helped.
Old 9/29/14, 11:09 AM
GT Member

I have Nitto Invos now and they're really quiet. Even when doing a burnout or trying to slide the car, I could barely hear them.
Old 9/29/14, 12:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I get you want sticky tires for performance driving, but my beef with the Pirellis is there are other tires on the market that prove you do not have to sacrifice virtually every other positive attribute a tire can have just to be sticky.

I'm actually counting on the Continentals being a bit less sticky, since at least some of the awful wheel hop these cars have are probably attributable to the sticky tires (I've gotten rid of 95%+ of the hop with LCAs and lowering springs- but there are occasions where she still takes me for a ride... slicker tires should help that somewhat).

Quick Reply: Tires, which ones are quiet?