Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Tires, which ones are quiet?

Search this Thread

Old 9/26/14, 08:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Tires, which ones are quiet?

I only have about 9,500 miles on the stock 18" Pirelli AS's but the noise they make are driving me crazy. After about a 80 mile round trip drive today, I was ready to park the car and walk away.

I'm pretty sure it's the tires making the noise and not some part of the drivetrain because on certain road surfaces, the noise is not as pronounced.

I'm probably going to have to replace these way before they wear out and want some opinions on a quieter tire to replace mine with. I want something that is not going to be making excessive noise with only a relatively few miles on them. Thanks for any suggestions.

Wayne
Old 9/26/14, 09:17 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Continental extreme DW.
Old 9/26/14, 09:27 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I have had the Michelin pilot as3s on my car for 6 months. They are all seasons and they grip pretty well and are still quiet. I bought them on a recommendation from a tms person.
Old 9/26/14, 10:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks guys, I will check those out.

Wayne
Old 9/26/14, 11:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Nitto Invo. I had them on my C6 was very impressed. I'm changing out my Nitto NT555's for some tomorrow.
Old 9/26/14, 11:29 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. V
I have had the Michelin pilot as3s on my car for 6 months. They are all seasons and they grip pretty well and are still quiet. I bought them on a recommendation from a tms person.
This. Pretty much any Michelin is going to be quieter than the equivalent...any other brand...in the same class. For whatever reason, they are almost always quieter and last longer than every other tire in the same class.
Old 9/27/14, 01:49 AM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also have the Michelin Pilot A/S 3's and they've been awesome tires. If you want to stick with all seasons they probably are the way to go. I really haven't noticed much road noise at all and they grip well. The road noise on my Dad's 5.0 with the P zeroes is annoying.

But so far I couldn't be happier.
Old 9/27/14, 06:31 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I currently have the Michelin A/S 3 and have owned the Cooper RS3-A in the past. They are both good choices for a quiet ride and are in the ultra high performance (UHP) category for all-season tires. Tire Rack has several UHP tire brands to compare:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...jsp?type=UHPAS

I’ve had the Yokohama YK580 (all-season) and they were quiet compared to the stock Michelin green-x tires.
Old 9/27/14, 07:11 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Can't get much quieter than the Michelin.
Old 9/27/14, 08:21 AM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks everyone. I have run Michelin tires on my two trucks and they have been very good so I will definitely consider them.

Right now the noise is so bad that I don't even want to drive the car. That is how annoying the sound has become. The only way I can stand it is to drive with both of the windows open and the radio on so the noise is masked.

I'm assuming there are no warranty available for this issue. I need to check to see exactly what the warranty is in regards to the tires as this is one thing I did not read about. Thanks again.

Wayne
Old 9/27/14, 08:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the same problem with tire noise but my car is only a week old so I'm just gonna have to deal with it for a little while. I like the DWS so they'll probably end up being my replacement tires when the time comes.
Old 9/27/14, 09:06 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by mustang8918
I have the same problem with tire noise but my car is only a week old so I'm just gonna have to deal with it for a little while. I like the DWS so they'll probably end up being my replacement tires when the time comes.
The DWS are another good all around tire, quiet too. I'd stay away from the DW's.
Old 9/27/14, 12:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

I just read some good stuff about the Continental Extreme Contact DWS tires so I may consider them as well. They are cheaper than the Michelins.
Old 9/27/14, 12:48 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
The DWS are another good all around tire, quiet too. I'd stay away from the DW's.
Why do you hate the DW's ?
Old 9/27/14, 01:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. V
I've had Michelin Pilot AS 2 19" on the car just over 20 k on them. Rotated every 7000. They are still quiet and handle well in both the cold and warm temps. The AS 3 are probably even better.
Old 9/27/14, 01:57 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by TheReaper
Why do you hate the DW's ?
I remember we talked about that before. My own personal experiences with them. I know you've had good luck with them, but if you read the reviews, the DW's are far more "hit or miss" compared to the DWS. I'd just go elsewhere in that class/price range. If you want more all weather capability, the DWS is a good selection. If you want more dry weather with the occasional drive in the wet, I'd look at other tires before the DW's. From my personal experience with them...
Old 9/27/14, 02:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Today I put the rear end of my car up on jack stands and let it run in Drive to see if I could hear anything unusual. Giving it gas just made the brake light and other lights come on in the dash plus I couldn't hear anything over the exhaust so I just let it idle in gear.

With it idling in gear with the wheels turning and me half under the back of the car, I could not hear anything abnormal from the rear end or driveshaft.

I then started looking at the tires and wheels themselves as they turned and noticed that both rear tires had a slight wobble to them like they were slightly out of round. Looking at the tires from the back, it looked like the tread was slightly moving side to side.

The wheels themselves didn't seem to be doing this so I don't think it's an axle thing or improperly mounted wheels.

Could what I was seeing be the cause of the noise I'm hearing? I didn't jack up the front to spin them so they may be doing the same thing.

Any opinions would be welcome.

Wayne
Old 9/27/14, 04:26 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 70monte
Today I put the rear end of my car up on jack stands and let it run in Drive to see if I could hear anything unusual. Giving it gas just made the brake light and other lights come on in the dash plus I couldn't hear anything over the exhaust so I just let it idle in gear.

With it idling in gear with the wheels turning and me half under the back of the car, I could not hear anything abnormal from the rear end or driveshaft.

I then started looking at the tires and wheels themselves as they turned and noticed that both rear tires had a slight wobble to them like they were slightly out of round. Looking at the tires from the back, it looked like the tread was slightly moving side to side.

The wheels themselves didn't seem to be doing this so I don't think it's an axle thing or improperly mounted wheels.

Could what I was seeing be the cause of the noise I'm hearing? I didn't jack up the front to spin them so they may be doing the same thing.

Any opinions would be welcome.

Wayne
The Pirelli's are the source of the noise. I'll bet they make a womp womp noise.
Old 9/27/14, 07:33 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
I put the Nitto Motivo on my Mustang. Much quieter than the Pirelli tires.
Old 9/27/14, 10:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

The noise I'm hearing is more of a hollow roaring sound. It's a constant sound until you come to a stop.

I've also heard that the Nitto's are good.

Today I drove my fiancée's 07GT with the factory 17" Pirelli P Zero Nero tires on it and her tires have none of the noise I'm hearing on my car. Her car and tires only have 16,500 miles on them.

I keep going back and forth on whether or not it's a tire issue or a rear end/driveshaft issue. Maybe the rear end and or driveshaft isn't making noise at lower rpms but is at higher ones? Is that possible?

I can't get any help so far at the dealership so I may try a different one and see what they say.

Wayne

Quick Reply: Tires, which ones are quiet?