Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

tips for keeping engine compartment clean

Search this Thread

Old 5/27/10, 11:03 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,495 Likes on 1,019 Posts
tips for keeping engine compartment clean

There was a great thread recently about keeping the outside of the car looking great, but I can't find anything about how to keep the engine compartment clean and fresh. (Yes, I did search! )

So how about it, what are the best ways to keep the engine and engine compartment looking good?

I need basics like do you hose it down, and if so how do you dry it, as well as more advanced stuff like what products to use on the plastic parts.

thanks in advance!
Old 5/27/10, 11:47 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bert
There was a great thread recently about keeping the outside of the car looking great, but I can't find anything about how to keep the engine compartment clean and fresh. (Yes, I did search! )

So how about it, what are the best ways to keep the engine and engine compartment looking good?

I need basics like do you hose it down, and if so how do you dry it, as well as more advanced stuff like what products to use on the plastic parts.

thanks in advance!
Good question. Like I've said elsewhere, this is the first time I'll have a car that I care this much about!
Old 5/27/10, 11:53 AM
Cobra R Member

Curious about this also...
Old 5/27/10, 11:58 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't ever start the motor, keep the car in a sealed box, won't ever get dirty that way!
Old 5/27/10, 11:59 AM
Bullitt Member

Add me to the list! Especially with mine being a daily driver. I hate going to cruise-ins and having the outisde clean, then popping the hood with all the dirt and dust under there.
Old 5/27/10, 12:07 PM
V6 Member

I bought a degreaser from AutoZone called Purple Power (I think). You just spray it on, let it sit for a minute and then rinse it off. It does a nice job of cleaning the surface grime and I use it a couple times a year.

AutoZone also sells some foaming engine cleaners/degreasers that might be worth a shot.
Old 5/27/10, 12:09 PM
GTR Member

If you keep after it right from the start, it won't be too bad.

Some very diluted simple green and some lint free rags and do top clean by hand for the whole engine compartment. I wouldn't use any pressure washing or hose it down much at all, too many electronic devices in the engine compartment.
Old 5/27/10, 12:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
If you keep after it right from the start, it won't be too bad.

Some very diluted simple green and some lint free rags and do top clean by hand for the whole engine compartment. I wouldn't use any pressure washing or hose it down much at all, too many electronic devices in the engine compartment.

Do this.

Once a week and you should be good.
Old 5/27/10, 12:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by andrewplen
AutoZone also sells some foaming engine cleaners/degreasers that might be worth a shot.
I've used the AutoZone foaming cleaner and I can vouch that it does a pretty decent job.
Old 5/27/10, 12:26 PM
Cobra R Member

I'm interested as well, but I'd like to know how to remove the corrosion on the block and cam covers without pulling the motor and painting it...
Old 5/27/10, 12:33 PM
Bullitt Member

From http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...look-here.html

Products needed: Simple Green, Turtle Wax F-21 tire dressing, several rags.

Here's a link to F21 so you know what it looks like:

http://www.turtlewax.com/main.taf?p=2,1,3,5

Here's the simple green for those that have never used it:

http://www.simplegreen.com/products_...se_cleaner.php

Start engine, get it warm, not hot, just nice and warm. As an example if the car was fully cooled, run it for 5-8 minutes. Turn off engine.

Cover the alternator and air filter on your intake, Aluminum foil works great since the motor is warm. Everything else can be subject to light rinsing type spray, including the covered fuse panel. All of these areas get hit by water when driven in the rain.

Lightly spray entire engine bay with water from hose, you will see some light steaming, this is good.

Spray the entire engine bay, including firewall, plastic parts, metal parts, loom, coils and hoses with Simple Green. Set the hood down, not fully closed, just to it's safety catch point, and go find something else to do for 15 to 20 minutes. Let the simple green do it's work. Closing the hood let's the simple green interact with the steam you created with the warm motor. This loosens the tough stuff up so you don't have to work so hard in those heavily soiled areas.

Open hood, look for heavily soiled areas, wipe them with a rag, use more simple green if necessary. Rinse lightly with hose.

Spray entire engine bay with F-21, it foams, coat everything just like the simple green coating you did.

Close hood again, walk away for 10-20 minutes or until nearly all the foam has dissipated.

Open hood, Wipe up any areas that water settled and such. Wipe up any areas that the F-21 didn't dissipate on it's own.

You will note that the F-21 restores the black plastic parts to the same OEM flat black color they were when new.. It leaves the paint shiny with no streaks on the fenders and fire wall. Best of all, it is not greasy to the touch.
Old 5/27/10, 12:35 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by WaltM
I'm interested as well, but I'd like to know how to remove the corrosion on the block and cam covers without pulling the motor and painting it...
You won't, if you've got corrosion on the aluminum then any chemicals you use to get rid of it could harm other non aluminum parts.

Aluminum corrosion shouldn't happen much unless you get water standing on the aluminum for long periods of time.
Old 5/27/10, 01:46 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,495 Likes on 1,019 Posts
Thanks for the input so far . . .

I think I might start with a frequent vacuming using a shop vac with dusting tool, that should get rid of most of the dust as long as there is no greasy build-up. My engine compartment looks brand new right now, so I'm not dealing with any nasty build up, yet.

I'm not too comfortable with using a hose under there, but I guess if you are carefull about the electronics it is OK . . . don't want to get water inside the wrapped wires and such, though I guess it wouldn't hurt anything.

DontShoot's post looks pretty good . . . though it is probably over-kill for me right now since it's pretty clean already . . . I like the idea about the Turtle Wax F-21, I was also thinking about using something like 303 on the hoses and plastic parts.
Old 5/27/10, 01:52 PM
Cobra R Member

I use 303 Aerospace Protectant on the plastic/rubber in my engine compartment.
Old 5/27/10, 02:00 PM
Team Mustang Source

Don't drive the car!
Old 5/27/10, 02:11 PM
Bullitt Member

I have used the following (and I was told never steam clean the engine due to all of the electric components could be damaged).

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...rrivals&page=1
Old 5/27/10, 02:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks for the link. I'm going to test it out on my Focus first. Might as well give it back super clean.
Old 5/27/10, 02:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by coffeejolts
Thanks for the link. I'm going to test it out on my Focus first. Might as well give it back super clean.
And to use it as a guinea pig while you have the chance.
Old 5/27/10, 07:40 PM
V6 Member

I've heard/read very good things about CD2 Engine Detailer. Its available at the local AutoZone in my area. It was in the section with degreasers instead of the wax/cleaning area. I purchased a can and plan to use it, if and whenever my GT I have on order ever gets here....The process sounds real easy especially if your starting out with a new car. Hope this helps.

http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-det...-detailer.html

http://www.turtlewax.com/main.taf?p=2,2,2,1