Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Ticking/popping

Search this Thread

Old 10/17/14, 03:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by HizliBullet
okay guys i just left the ford dealership with my mobil 1 5w20, paid $73 for 8 quarts (8 litres)..not cheap..will report back about tick when I arrive home
Any update? Hopefully good news
Old 10/17/14, 04:09 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
I'm ignorant that's why I went into education. Lol

Is the ticking just the sound of the valves tapping away?
Old 10/17/14, 08:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
The noise sounds like a old push rod V8 with a lifter tick. It is very random as far as how frequently it happens. May tick repeatedly for 5 seconds and then stop for half a minute. The noise seems to be coming from lower rear of engine in most cases. The tech who looked at mine said the noise is loudest from the bell housing area. Mine occurs most frequently just off idle. Which is very unfortunate. People will be checking out Ellie sitting next to me at a light. Then as I pull away it sounds like I have dog dish style hub caps full of rocks... Only disappointing thing about my car...
Old 10/17/14, 08:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

And Deysha thank you so much! I really am happy with the Dealer I have been working with. Especially the tech. I really do not think I will need your assistance with the situation. I did not have them dig too deeply into the issue. They were already resealing the timing cover (Second Time) and I hate not having my car in my possession... Even if it will just be sitting in my garage. I want to enjoy her for the remainder of the season. Then next Spring will let them try again. I am afraid it will be a large repair again. If I do need help I will shoot you a message though! Thanks for all you do for me and the Mustang Community in general!
Old 10/18/14, 06:09 PM
Cobra Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
After my recent oil change on mobil 1 5w20 im proud to announce the ticking has gone down..not completely away yet.. only drove 50 mi so far, im waiting to drive 100 mi to report my final results..just to give the oil a chance to work it in..

in the meantime i came across this post somewhere else:

Anyways, Ford replaced Lifters, did various TSB's, And replaced the heads to no avail - Ford has now approved a new Engine. From what I could tell, the knock my engine developed was not the typical tick - or so I learned from other valuable input from other Forum members - thanks guys. It appears the cause will remain unknown - which is fine. My car has now spent 1/8th of it's life in the shop - but I'm looking forward to the next engine break-in. Car should be complete by end of week 5.:yelpleased:

The video below was my vehicle when dropped off. Crap happens - I'm glad it is finally coming to an end.

Old 10/18/14, 07:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After my recent oil change on mobil 1 5w20 im proud to announce the ticking has gone down..not completely away yet.. only drove 50 mi so far, im waiting to drive 100 mi to report my final results..just to give the oil a chance to work it in.. in the meantime i came across this post somewhere else: Anyways, Ford replaced Lifters, did various TSB's, And replaced the heads to no avail - Ford has now approved a new Engine. From what I could tell, the knock my engine developed was not the typical tick - or so I learned from other valuable input from other Forum members - thanks guys. It appears the cause will remain unknown - which is fine. My car has now spent 1/8th of it's life in the shop - but I'm looking forward to the next engine break-in. Car should be complete by end of week 5.:yelpleased: The video below was my vehicle when dropped off. Crap happens - I'm glad it is finally coming to an end. Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiXSntXVoTw
I just went through a knock issue and had my engine replaced (see "coyote down" thread) Tasca diagnosed the knock problem as an improper sized main bearing. New engine is running awesome, no tick. I have previously had the tick in my engine after oil changes.
Old 10/18/14, 08:17 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by pminri
I just went through a knock issue and had my engine replaced (see "coyote down" thread) Tasca diagnosed the knock problem as an improper sized main bearing. New engine is running awesome, no tick. I have previously had the tick in my engine after oil changes.
omg thanks so much for that update, I will take what u said to my service advisor..this will quicken their time to diagnose

edit: can u link it on here for me real quick?

Last edited by HizliBullet; 10/18/14 at 08:18 PM.
Old 10/18/14, 08:21 PM
Cobra Member

so...what happens to the odometer when they replace the engine? resets?
Old 10/18/14, 10:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Odometer stays as is... New or rebuilt engine does not change the mileage on the vehicle.
Old 10/19/14, 08:47 AM
Bullitt Member

omg thanks so much for that update, I will take what u said to my service advisor..this will quicken their time to diagnose edit: can u link it on here for me real quick?
What link are you referring to? I would be happy to share any and all info with you.
Old 10/19/14, 09:43 AM
Cobra Member

What link are you referring to? I would be happy to share any and all info with you.
for coyote down thread but i came across it by accident in the warranty section..

I told the service advisor about the main bearing being factory faulty, and showed him the video of the tick..only to wake up and realize its only sunday..theyre closed on sundays
Old 10/19/14, 09:49 AM
Bullitt Member

for coyote down thread but i came across it by accident in the warranty section.. I told the service advisor about the main bearing being factory faulty, and showed him the video of the tick..only to wake up and realize its only sunday..theyre closed on sundays
I would be happy to if I knew how. Lol
Old 10/19/14, 11:15 AM
Cobra Member

I would be happy to if I knew how. Lol
lol i forgot to mention it was only a dream that i saw myself talking to advisor haha

Last edited by HizliBullet; 10/19/14 at 11:18 AM.
Old 10/20/14, 10:06 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by 14Glassback
And Deysha thank you so much! I really am happy with the Dealer I have been working with. Especially the tech. I really do not think I will need your assistance with the situation. I did not have them dig too deeply into the issue. They were already resealing the timing cover (Second Time) and I hate not having my car in my possession... Even if it will just be sitting in my garage. I want to enjoy her for the remainder of the season. Then next Spring will let them try again. I am afraid it will be a large repair again. If I do need help I will shoot you a message though! Thanks for all you do for me and the Mustang Community in general!
Awwweee!! You’re very welcome, 14Glassback!

Deysha
Old 10/24/14, 07:00 PM
Cobra Member

Here is my update video today...vertical alert

Old 10/27/14, 05:57 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
wait....so you're telling me putting in 93 octane (like you really should be doing anyway) fixed the tick? Well that doesn't help me because I've put 93 in there since day one
Old 10/27/14, 01:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Hmm but I always use the highest grade gas (91 in SoCal) possible, and almost always stick with the same brand...76. This got me thinking, we get ticking only on the '2nd oil change' !?

Maybe then I'll stick with Motorcraft brand after all. I hear 76 gasoline & Motorcraft are originated from the same company - as to Mobil gasoline & Mobil 1 motor oil. I think I'm going nuts.
Old 10/28/14, 12:48 PM
GT Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Coyote5-0
wait....so you're telling me putting in 93 octane (like you really should be doing anyway) fixed the tick? Well that doesn't help me because I've put 93 in there since day one
Me too. However I have been getting my gas from the exact same gas station ever since I bought the car lol. I might try switching it up and try 93 at another station and give you guys an update.
Old 10/28/14, 01:12 PM
Bullitt Member

I just spoke with ford parts about the mobil 1, they do carry it so we dont need to spend extra to buy it from elsewhere. Our 5.0L uses 5W20 as per the manual says. And mobil 1 does make sense to me too coz on the jug it has the "FOR GASOLINE ENGINES" logo ford recommends, so it keeps it under warranty. Since dealership carries it anyway no need to worry about that. Using mobil 1 5W20 is only $5 more per litre over motorcraft which I think is ****ty quality to begin with. Mine is due next week I'll keep u guys posted :P

5W50 is for shelby.. i tried that on motorcraft tick didnt go away..
Just keep in mind that the Mobile One full synthetic is NOT actually a full synthetic (the formula has been changed). You need the Mobile One Extended Performance to get a true Full Synthetic. I do not believe this is an oil issue. An oil additive issue or a fuel issue. I believe this is a quality issue. It's something to do with the engine. We've seen reports back of improperly seated rings, to bearings being out of spec. And we've also seen people say that they've had the tick from day 1 of ownership before any kind of oil change, and others say they go 2-3 changes before it shows up.

It's luck of the draw I think. And just FYI. I picked up the tick noise on the passenger side one day (it was ever so slight, while idling at warm temps for less than 10 seconds) and I had 1500 miles on the car. I haven't heard it since. I just check the oil regularly to make sure It's staying where it should be and not consuming too much oil. (I think it has consumed a tiny bit, but it's hard to tell).

I also only use Top Tier Gas http://www.toptiergas.com and Premium (around here that's 93 octane). since I bought the vehicle. We can only guess as to what the problem is because Ford doesn't even know, and I bet this issue shows up in the 2015's as well UNLESS it's an issue with the oil getting too hot and needing the new intercooler that the 15's come with stock.

Ford Motorcraft Oil and Filters are some of the best out there on the market. It's not an issue with oil or filters. I have done a lot of research on this issue ever since noticing some of the issues other forum members have had. It's not the oil. Something is up with some of the engines coming off the assembly line.

Last edited by Critical Mass; 10/28/14 at 01:52 PM.
Old 10/28/14, 01:17 PM
Bullitt Member

+1 ..does seem too early..my big day is tomorrow to test mobil 1 5w20

edit:mine happens when I idle at warm engine..
I'm bringing mine in Friday to have it changed, it only has 1800 miles on it. I let this one go an extra 800 miles before the change. I usually change out oil on a new car after 1k. Then after that, I follow regular service procedures.

One of the reasons I'm taking it in is because I want to see where the oil level is at based on what they drain out of the pan so I can better gauge what the dipstick is telling me due to some people complaining of oil consumption problems.

Last edited by Critical Mass; 10/28/14 at 01:44 PM.