2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Ticking/popping

Search this Thread

Old 10/3/14, 01:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ticking/popping

Hello everyone I'm trying to see if anyone can give me some knowledge about this ticking/popping sound I have on my 2012 5.0. I had a oil change done this pass Monday and after driving home after a 1hr 30min drive I got out the car with it still running and I noticed this tick/popping sound. I let the car run for 15 mins or so and then it went away. Next morning I started the car and let it idle for 10 mins or so...no tick/popping sound. Then I went for a short drive and noticed the sound again while sitting at a red light. After making it back home I again let the car run for several mins and the sound gradually went away. I'm not sure how to upload a video of the tick/popping; so can anyone tell me how so y'all can get a better understanding of my problem.?
Old 10/3/14, 02:06 AM

Just added a short video of tick/popping sound.
Old 10/3/14, 03:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
How many miles and what oil grade did you use? This is a common problem with a lot of the 5.0s, seems to develop after an oil change, but some people got it even before their first oil change. There has not been a definitive cause for the tick.

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...e-tick-531664/

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...k-club-526104/

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...r-warm-500166/

Your car should still be under warranty, definitely take it to the dealer to have it look at.
Old 10/3/14, 03:11 PM
Bullitt Member

There have been several threads on this subject here. Everyone is waiting for some explanation from Ford. I have had this myself twice. Is seems to go away but no idea why it happens after a oil change??
Old 10/3/14, 06:06 PM

I have just over 27000 miles on my car and I use 5w50 full synthetic(motorcraft).... I let the dealership change my oil. I went to the dealership before starting this thread and was told by the tech that installed my LT's/mid pipe over 3 months ago that the sound was coming from my LT's. I founded that to be a bunch of bologna when I've never heard or read info on that before.
Old 10/6/14, 11:31 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
weird! is this just on the 5.0? anyone know if this happens on the 3.7?
Old 10/6/14, 07:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I have this exact noise. Had my dealer look at it. Rode with the tech and easily duplicated it. Mine makes the noise more after being fully warmed up. Mine also makes it really bad when lightly accelerating from a stop. The tech compared it with a few other cars... Some did it and some not. I wish a solution would come from Ford. Embarrassing at times leaving a stop light and a brand new car ticks like crazy. I usually leave them in the dust... But still! There have been several other threads about this. Never seems to be a consistent solution either. The tech ran my vehicle on the hoist and said the noise was loudest from the bell housing area. But it is not clutch related because I can tap the throttle with clutch pedal pressed and still get the noise. Someone recently here started a thread on this exact noise and then a week or so later had a catastrophic engine failure. But that also seems to be very rare.
Old 10/6/14, 07:55 PM
Cobra Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
mine started happening after first oil change as well, I even had full synthetic shelby gt500 oil put in..i thought it was becoz of that until i started hearing more about this heres my video

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...e-belt-527040/
Old 10/7/14, 10:01 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by blackboy31
Hello everyone I'm trying to see if anyone can give me some knowledge about this ticking/popping sound I have on my 2012 5.0. I had a oil change done this pass Monday and after driving home after a 1hr 30min drive I got out the car with it still running and I noticed this tick/popping sound. I let the car run for 15 mins or so and then it went away. Next morning I started the car and let it idle for 10 mins or so...no tick/popping sound. Then I went for a short drive and noticed the sound again while sitting at a red light. After making it back home I again let the car run for several mins and the sound gradually went away. I'm not sure how to upload a video of the tick/popping; so can anyone tell me how so y'all can get a better understanding of my problem.?
Hi blackboy31,

Welcome to the forum! My name is Deysha with Ford Service and I recommend you get a second opinion at a different Ford Dealer and let me know what they say.

Deysha
Old 10/7/14, 11:20 AM
GT Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have had this problem right after I took my 2014 for its second oil change a month ago. Once I got. Back home I noticed this same sort of ticking noise (majority seems to be coming from under the passenger side). It is most prevalent when I begin to take off in first gear or if I am just sitting still and idling. However it does go away after about 2000 rpm, either that or I just can't hear it anymore because of my exhaust xD
Old 10/7/14, 01:10 PM

My tick usual isn't heard unless I'm sitting still unlike the dude with the 2014; but I can say that I hear the tick sound on both sides of the car. I plan on visiting another dealer next week to see if they can tell me something about this on going problem; but I read that someone had to have their lifters replaced.
Old 10/7/14, 01:13 PM

I'm not sure if it's a problem with the 3.7...just the 5.0's
Old 10/7/14, 04:09 PM
Cobra Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
3.7s have their own ticking issue... ford has a solution for it unlike the 5.0s.... do a search if youre curious
Old 10/7/14, 09:41 PM
Cobra Member

guys i may have the solution...it makes sense now! 99.99% of us have been saying how this occured right after the FIRST oil change right????..

SOLUTION 1

"I had the tick after the first oil change. I checked the oil level a few thousand miles later and found the ford tech over filled it. I switched over to mobil 1 synthetic and did the change myself. I'm now glad to report I have no ticking problems."

SOLUTION 2
"Stagmiere racing recommended me this quick fix to the very annoying valve tick and it worked for me. They suggested to get rid of the 5w 20 oil which is way to thin to begin with and told me to use 5w 50 made by motorcraft. Apparently ford decicded that this oil is best to be used in all there new svt products. And yes it worked!!! The noise is gone.... I'm not sure if it will work for everyone but it did for me. Good luck. "

Last edited by HizliBullet; 10/7/14 at 10:04 PM.
Old 10/7/14, 09:42 PM
Cobra Member

walmart has the oil and it looks like this

Last edited by HizliBullet; 10/7/14 at 10:05 PM.
Old 10/7/14, 10:26 PM
Cobra Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
What do you recommend then? You said the motorcraft 5w 50 worked well? Got an oil change scheduled for tomorrow looool....
Old 10/7/14, 11:29 PM

Hizlibullet I was thinking that to much oil was used also; when I checked my oil stick the oil level seemed to high. Maybe getting a oil change will be on my to do list. You said u used mobil1 oil....how many quarts did u use and what kind of filter?
Old 10/8/14, 07:17 AM
Bullitt Member

I hope any or all of these recommendations work for somebody but I don't think this is the solution.

All I have put in mine since I got the car has been Motorcraft full synthetic 5-50. Still got the tic. I watched the mechanic put 8 quarts of it in one quart at a time. Still got the tic. ( unless he didn't drain it all the way. But the dipstick was between the markers. (Top end of markers)

I wrote in another post that mine didn't do this after the first oil change (4k miles) with no tic.

The 2nd and 3rd change I got it right away. The only difference I could attribute was that the ambient temperature outside was much hotter. First oil change it was late March in Mew England. About 50deg. 2nd and 3rd were late spring 70's and then 90's I. Summer.

I could be way off base too but I know I have already tried MC 5-50 and checking level. I'm wondering if my new engine will have the same issue...
Old 10/8/14, 07:46 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by BLK STANG
I have had this problem right after I took my 2014 for its second oil change a month ago. Once I got. Back home I noticed this same sort of ticking noise (majority seems to be coming from under the passenger side). It is most prevalent when I begin to take off in first gear or if I am just sitting still and idling. However it does go away after about 2000 rpm, either that or I just can't hear it anymore because of my exhaust xD
Have you addressed this with your dealer, BLK STANG? If not, I recommend you bring it in as soon as possible and get it checked out. Also, PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number so I can escalate it to the customer service manager for your area if needed.

Deysha
Old 10/8/14, 12:32 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by xtc.inc
What do you recommend then? You said the motorcraft 5w 50 worked well? Got an oil change scheduled for tomorrow looool....

haha mine is next week lol.....I did do 5w50 once, still the tick..

my next move and recommendation is to use mobil 1 5w20, it has the certificate ford is looking for printed on the jug. i think its the motorcraft that isnt working out for us guys..