Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

For those with skip-shift disabled...

Search this Thread

Old 10/28/10, 06:29 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For those with skip-shift disabled...

Are you still getting "resistance" shifting from 1 -> 2? All other shifts are smooth as silk with no noise, so I do not think it has to do with bolts backing out of the pressure plates or anything clutch related. It is also not grinding, just resistance and a thud like the shifter doesnt want to go. I think whatever forces the "skip-shift" is still interfering with my 1 -> 2 shift even though it is not engaged...

Anyways, just wondering if anyone else has this issue.
Old 10/28/10, 07:03 AM
Banned

You have 3.73 gears.

Use 1-3-5 shifts.
Old 10/28/10, 07:39 AM
GT Member

And miss out on 2nd gear, which is IMO the best gear on this car? I dont think so. And, not to be a dick, I am looking for useful advice here. If mine is not a common problem I will take it in and see what the dealer says. I know I could skip gears and I do it frequently, but why would I work around a possible problem on a car that is under warranty?
Old 10/28/10, 07:44 AM
Banned

Obviously you know your car better than any of us could. If you think it's a problem, take it in?

I only get resistance sometimes and yes it's annoying. BUT, I already know it's from the 1-4 skip shift feature so I use the 1-3-5 to avoid it. The only way to engage the 1-4 is to rev it up slowly in the first going to 4k rpms. If you really want to use the second, alter your driving in the first. Otherwise, take it in.

Simple really.
Old 10/28/10, 07:57 AM
Bullitt Member

Yes it is most likely the skip shift interfering. My shifting to 2nd has been much smoother since I had that **** thing taken out
Old 10/28/10, 08:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by shotzy
Yes it is most likely the skip shift interfering. My shifting to 2nd has been much smoother since I had that **** thing taken out
Agree......Mine is tuned out and shifts like butter. If you're still getting the ship shift light at light acceleration at approx. 17mph it's likely still there. More than a few tuners have said they've tuned it out only for the customer to find it still there. Verify the light, and get an updated tune if it's still interfering.

BTW, it you're using the Canned SCT tune you likely still have it (mine did) unless they've done a custom one for you. Steeda updated mine to remove the skip-shift.

Last edited by Modshack; 10/28/10 at 08:04 AM.
Old 10/28/10, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by ssimaniac
You have 3.73 gears.

Use 1-3-5 shifts.

Although it doesn't directly address the skip-shift issue, I agree with ssimaniac about the 1-3-5. I started trying that last week with my 6MT 3.73 car. When cruising around town, it really is an efficient way to drive. This car has so much pull, starting in 1st, then going 3rd, 5th is very smooth and relaxing, requiring just a flick of the wrist. Sometimes, I start in 2nd, but it is quite lethargic unless I slip the clutch a lot---which is not cool.

Granted, I'm sure 1-3-5 can't hold up to using all gears for a drag race, but it is great for daily driving.

Six gears are nice to have---but this car would actually be quite drivable with an old 4-speed geared as our 1-3-5 + overdrive.
Old 10/28/10, 12:24 PM
GT Member

Guys,
I already have the skip shift removed. That is the reason for the post... For those that ALSO have it removed like I do, it sounds like your 1 -> 2 shifts are as smooth as all other shifts. Mine are smooth sometimes and I feel resistance other times. I am not looking for people to say "Just skip gears". That is not helpful. I know I could do that, but I shouldn't have to. I am looking for others who removed the skip shift to tell me how their 1->2 shift is, and I thank those who said that.

And to ssimaniac, it is not "Simple, really". I have an aftermarket tune. If I go in for service, I will remove said tune and make the Stang stock. I cannot complain about 1->2 shift then cause the service guys will call it normal cause of the skip shift. And I am not going in with the tune installed so they can put a red flag on my file just in case I have engine problems down the road. I want to avoid that hassle if at all possible.
Old 10/28/10, 12:30 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Modshack
BTW, it you're using the Canned SCT tune you likely still have it (mine did) unless they've done a custom one for you. Steeda updated mine to remove the skip-shift.
Sorry if I was not clear before, but I do have the Brenspeed tune with skip-shift tuned out. Thanks for your input, Modshack...
Old 10/28/10, 12:35 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Guess they didn't read the thread title.
Old 10/28/10, 12:39 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by manashttu
Granted, I'm sure 1-3-5 can't hold up to using all gears for a drag race, but it is great for daily driving.

Six gears are nice to have---but this car would actually be quite drivable with an old 4-speed geared as our 1-3-5 + overdrive.
Right. The 6pd is not needed for the 1/4, but really works well for two lane and road course to keep you smack in the powerband at all times.
Old 10/28/10, 05:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Mine has skip-shift eliminated, ( Steeda tune ), and I notice that when it's cold, the 1-2 shift is not smooth. Once I've gone through the gears a couple of times, it's OK, and by that time, I'm out of the neighborhood and ready to ROLL, so no problem.

Plus, all cars should be driven easy until they are at operating temperature, so I'm going to go easy for the first few shifting cycles anyway.
Old 10/28/10, 07:22 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by dragstart
all cars should be driven easy until they are at operating temperature, so I'm going to go easy for the first few shifting cycles anyway.

naaaah not true ...
Old 10/28/10, 07:22 PM
Team Mustang Source

Just like Steve, mine has been eliminated by the custom Steeda tune, BUT on some occasions, i feel like there is some resistance from 1st to 2nd shifts. Sometimes i wonder if it has to do the RPM's you're shifting at. Seems like the higher the RPM's the better the shift to 2nd.
Old 10/28/10, 08:00 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by montreal ponies
Just like Steve, mine has been eliminated by the custom Steeda tune, BUT on some occasions, i feel like there is some resistance from 1st to 2nd shifts. Sometimes i wonder if it has to do the RPM's you're shifting at. Seems like the higher the RPM's the better the shift to 2nd.
This times a million. When my rpms are high, my 1-2 shift has always been buttery smooth
Old 10/29/10, 05:58 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by stangfoeva
This times a million. When my rpms are high, my 1-2 shift has always been buttery smooth
agreed, higher rpms make my 1-2 super smooth
Old 10/29/10, 06:18 AM
GT Member

Thanks for the helpful replies, guys. Mine is the same way. High RPM shifts are definately better. I am a curious as to what it could be, though. I wonder if the mechanism that originally forced the skip shift still interferes... Or maybe it is just how this transmission will always be. Maybe we will never find out and just have to live with it.
Old 10/29/10, 09:33 AM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JobeNole44
Thanks for the helpful replies, guys. Mine is the same way. High RPM shifts are definately better. I am a curious as to what it could be, though. I wonder if the mechanism that originally forced the skip shift still interferes... Or maybe it is just how this transmission will always be. Maybe we will never find out and just have to live with it.
If I ever get the call back for the Mustang Customer Focus group in Irvine coming up in next month I will be sure to bring it up to the engineers
Old 10/29/10, 08:54 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I have to agree with everyone. The higher the RPM's the smoother she shifts. I usually start in 2nd, and then to the on ramp a mile from house, for the interstate, with no stops. I have not had any experience with the skip shift..
Old 10/30/10, 05:34 AM
Bullitt Member

Hmmmm..........................sounds like the syncros are engineered for higher RPM shifts, somehow at the expense of low RPM shifts. You know the solution !!

Quick Reply: For those with skip-shift disabled...