Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Those with Brembo package...

Search this Thread

Old 7/9/10, 01:30 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Those with Brembo package...

Since it seems that the wheel well gap is insane with the 19" wheels, what do most of you plan on doing for suspension work?
Old 7/9/10, 01:40 PM
Bullitt Member

I have Eibach 1.5" drop coils sitting at the local Mustang shop waiting for my car to arrive so I can install them.
Old 7/9/10, 01:47 PM
GT Member

if you go lower than 1" dont you need more than just coils to get the alignment right?
Old 7/9/10, 01:48 PM
Cobra R Member

Having a commute that requires some suspension travel (driving on/off a ferry at all tidal levels), I plan to leave mine alone. Plus, I am an old fart and kind of like the ride the way it is.

EDIT: Oops, sorry, just noticed this thread was directed at Brembo owners. I'm just a wannabe.

Last edited by Double-EDad; 7/9/10 at 06:17 PM.
Old 7/9/10, 02:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My plans as of right now. Still no decided if I want a 1" drop or 1.5".

Eibach 1.5" spring or Steeda Sport Springs (1" drop)
Koni SRT-T shocks
Steeda Adjustable Panhard bar
Steeda Heavy Duty Upper Strut Mounts
Old 7/9/10, 05:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

You drop it more than an inch you are going to knock the OEM shocks out of their valve range. You need to also upgrade shocks if you drop it that much.

Dave
Old 7/9/10, 08:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Dave07997S
You drop it more than an inch you are going to knock the OEM shocks out of their valve range. You need to also upgrade shocks if you drop it that much.
Dave
I've talked to lots of local guys who said to just swap the springs, get it aligned, and rock out... this is honestly the first I've heard of needing new shocks and I'm guessing you mean I'd also need new struts up front?
Old 7/9/10, 09:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Freshmeat
I've talked to lots of local guys who said to just swap the springs, get it aligned, and rock out... this is honestly the first I've heard of needing new shocks and I'm guessing you mean I'd also need new struts up front?
It mainly depends what your goals are. If it is to improve appearance by lowering the car, then just putting lowering springs on the stock shocks/struts will be ok for some people. If you are concerned about handling and ride quality, then new shocks and struts are an important part of the package when installing lowering springs.
Old 7/9/10, 09:16 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm not a corner carver (drag racer, instead), so forgive my ignorance. But, don't the Brembo Pkg GT's turn nearly a full g on the skidpad? That's **** fine handling right out of the box, so why mess with a well-engineered package from the factory?
Old 7/9/10, 09:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Five Oh Brian
I'm not a corner carver (drag racer, instead), so forgive my ignorance. But, don't the Brembo Pkg GT's turn nearly a full g on the skidpad? That's **** fine handling right out of the box, so why mess with a well-engineered package from the factory?
My guess would be that some people equate a stiff ride and a slammed car with good handling, and the Brembo package Mustangs are neither (stiff or slammed). It is easier to mess up the ride and handling of a car by throwing a bunch of parts at the car than to just leave it alone some times (or just install a good set of shocks/struts on an otherwise stock suspension).

Last edited by Ministang; 7/9/10 at 10:19 PM.
Old 7/9/10, 09:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Five Oh Brian
Probably more for aesthatics, so it looks lower. That is what would be my concern is messing with a pretty good package right from the get go. Thats why if you are going to lower the car more than an inch I recommend that you always get a matching shock/strut that will have the right valving for the lower ride height. When you go beyond an inch with OEM shocks the car will get incredibly stiff or it will be bouncy due to the improper valving.

As good as the Brembo package is, there is definitely a compromise due to ride height and quality. I can assure you a GrandAm/Continental Tire race car is far stiffer than any Brembo equipped car. If I was to do this it would be a full kit or don't lower the car more than maybe .75".

Dave

Last edited by Dave07997S; 7/9/10 at 09:57 PM.
Old 7/10/10, 09:28 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Ministang
It mainly depends what your goals are. If it is to improve appearance by lowering the car, then just putting lowering springs on the stock shocks/struts will be ok for some people. If you are concerned about handling and ride quality, then new shocks and struts are an important part of the package when installing lowering springs.
I get what you're saying, thanks for the clarification. My primary goal is the aesthetics (I have a 4x4 Explorer; I don't need a 4x4 Mustang, too) but I don't want to half *** anything on this car.

Originally Posted by Dave07997S
Probably more for aesthatics, so it looks lower. That is what would be my concern is messing with a pretty good package right from the get go. Thats why if you are going to lower the car more than an inch I recommend that you always get a matching shock/strut that will have the right valving for the lower ride height. When you go beyond an inch with OEM shocks the car will get incredibly stiff or it will be bouncy due to the improper valving.
Dave
Thanks for that. Could you recommend a good strut/shock combo for a 95% street driven car with a 1.5" drop?
Old 7/10/10, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by 5PTOHH
Since it seems that the wheel well gap is insane with the 19" wheels, what do most of you plan on doing for suspension work?
Why would the wheel well gap be any larger with the 19" setup than the stock non-brembo pkg 18" wheels? The whole goal in going larger or smaller is to MAINTAIN overall tire height by correctly paying attention to 'aspect ratio' which, when done right, wont vary the overall wheel/tire height by more than a couple of tenths.. Thats why you shouldnt need to recalibrate your speedo after switching, etc, etc... .
Old 7/10/10, 10:41 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by paul e
etc, etc... .
Really? Come on, man.
Old 7/10/10, 11:18 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
For those not interested in lowering their cars too much, consider the GT500 PP springs/dampeners. I believe they lower the car about 0.5" and you know you'll be getting Ford parts. The ride may be a little stiffer since the spring rate and valving will be for a heavier car, but I would bet it wouldn't be too bad.
Old 7/10/10, 12:10 PM

see next post

Last edited by paul e; 7/10/10 at 12:32 PM.
Old 7/10/10, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Freshmeat
Really? Come on, man.
must be a tire availability thing. If stock 18" tires are 235/50-18 (diam =27.25") , and tirerack shows for the brembo pkg a tire sized 255/40-19 (diam = 27.03")the overall diameter difference is only < .25".. Is that enough to create such an egregious difference in perceived wheel well gap? In addition, one would think the 255 diameter of the 19s help to fill the gap a little better than the 235s of the 18" tires. ??

Last edited by paul e; 7/10/10 at 12:31 PM.
Old 7/10/10, 12:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by paul e
Seriously... Spell it out for me.. indulge me.

when you go from 18 to 19" rims, and you select a new 19" tire, you select the correctly shorter sidewall, so that overall rolling diameter doesnt change..

Im not being a wiseguy here, but if you have a response other than sarcasm, please answer as to why the 19" rims and tires produce a larger wheel well gap than 18" wheels and tires?

Im seriously curious what I am not seeing here.. if the overall rolling diameter of the tire doesnt change, why does the wheel well gap change?
Optical illusion because of the low profile tires.
Old 7/10/10, 02:14 PM
GT Member

Considering how crappy the roads around here in New Orleans, the suspension on the new 5.0 is staying stock. I ran C springs on my last Mustang (04 GT) and the ride was just a mess on these roads.

If it ever gets here.
Old 7/10/10, 02:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by ScottH
Considering how crappy the roads around here in New Orleans, the suspension on the new 5.0 is staying stock. I ran C springs on my last Mustang (04 GT) and the ride was just a mess on these roads.

If it ever gets here.
I cringe every day I drive through Baton Rouge construction for that fact. For this reason I'm keeping the stock springs. In the event I don't like the ride I'll swap back and sell the Eibachs.

Quick Reply: Those with Brembo package...