Sponsored By:

Sync 4.4 Update.

Search this Thread

Old 11/11/16, 08:03 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
This is an ever-repeating experience:
1: Formatted the memory stick (twice)
2: Downloaded the update onto the stick (yes, I checked)
3: Took the download instructions (printed out AND emailed to the phone)
4: Had to re-pair my phone to the car
5: Sent vehicle health report
6: SYNC download tree doesn't follow what Ford said it would. (first indication of problems)
7: I navigate to PLAY MENU (which, if you don't move fast enough, closes on its own and goes back to MEDIA MENU)
8: Had to hit a different sequence between AUX and OK to get to the INSTALL APPLICATIONS
9: Hit OK
10: Get NO FILES FOUND (all this happened 3 times before I quit)
11: Start checking out Camaro sales brochures

So the download tree doesn't follow the sequence Ford said it would and when I do reach the lnstall prompt it doesn't detect nor download the update.

The car still runs, I'll stick with that.
The following users liked this post:
AndyG1714 (11/16/20)
Old 11/11/16, 03:35 PM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Junkman - silly question but are you pressing the PHONE button to get things started?
Old 11/12/16, 01:35 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Anyone have luck with the Nav version?

I tried once just downloading the files onto a stick and that failed. ("Installation failed.")

I then ran a health report, formatted my stick and redownloaded the files.

That install went better... Update successful followed by reboot. After rebooting, touched the home button to make sure it was done. Removed the USB to connect my phone, and "reinsert USB" flashed constantly. Guess the update wasn't finished.

So now I have the battery disconnected and hopefully will try again tomorrow.
Old 11/12/16, 09:26 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by junkman9096
6: SYNC download tree doesn't follow what Ford said it would. (first indication of problems)
7: I navigate to PLAY MENU (which, if you don't move fast enough, closes on its own and goes back to MEDIA MENU)
8: Had to hit a different sequence between AUX and OK to get to the INSTALL APPLICATIONS

So the download tree doesn't follow the sequence Ford said it would and when I do reach the lnstall prompt it doesn't detect nor download the update.

I agree it's not easy...but does Chevy do software updates for cars that are as much as 7 years old? I appreciate that Ford has done a few things to keep our original base Sync cars updated as much as possible.
Old 11/12/16, 09:33 AM
Ford In-Vehicle Technology Rep

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

junkman9096,

Please PM the VIN so I can take a look at the system info. You still may have tthe incorrect installation steps.

Originally Posted by berzerk_1980
Anyone have luck with the Nav version?

I tried once just downloading the files onto a stick and that failed. ("Installation failed.")

I then ran a health report, formatted my stick and redownloaded the files.

That install went better... Update successful followed by reboot. After rebooting, touched the home button to make sure it was done. Removed the USB to connect my phone, and "reinsert USB" flashed constantly. Guess the update wasn't finished.

So now I have the battery disconnected and hopefully will try again tomorrow.
berzerk_1980,

I can have you check the software version with the FPN number before attempting to install the update again. Which SYNC system do you have: owner.ford.com/how-tos/sync-technology/all/get-started-with-sync/how-to-identify-your-sync-version.html?model

Cara
Old 11/12/16, 10:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by FordIVTteam
.berzerk_1980,

I can have you check the software version with the FPN number before attempting to install the update again. Which SYNC system do you have: owner.ford.com/how-tos/sync-technology/all/get-started-with-sync/how-to-identify-your-sync-version.html?model

Cara
Hi Cara,

The link in your post wasn't live in the app, so I did a search for "how to identify your SYNC version". I think the answer is "SYNC With Voice Activated Navigation." 2014 Mustang GT.
Old 11/12/16, 12:04 PM

Hi Cara,

The link in your post wasn't live in the app, so I did a search for "how to identify your SYNC version". I think the answer is "SYNC With Voice Activated Navigation." 2014 Mustang GT.
Thanks. That's odd, the link opened for me. But anyways, try these steps:
1) Ensure the vehicle is in an open area were exhaust fumes may dissipate naturally. Start the vehicle’s engine and insert the USB drive, ignore any messages about media playback. The engine must remain running until the update has completed.
2) Press the Phone button
3) Press Settings, you may have to do this twice depending on if a phone is connected or not.
4) Press Advanced
5) Press the down arrow twice and press Install
6) Listen to the in-vehicle prompts regarding the status of the installation

Keep me posted!

Cara
Old 11/12/16, 10:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

1) Ensure the vehicle is in an open area were exhaust fumes may dissipate naturally. Start the vehicleÂ’s engine and insert the USB drive, ignore any messages about media playback. The engine must remain running until the update has completed.
3) Press Settings, you may have to do this twice depending on if a phone is connected or not.
4) Press Advanced

Keep me posted!

Cara
OK, the website said to use the Media menu. Here's my experience using the Phone menu instead as you've instructed.

There were no prompts other than a "Begin Installation?" Dialog box. Choose yes. "Installing."

30 seconds pass before "Installing" prompt disappears. The formerly populated phone screen is empty.

After about 2 minutes the phone screen comes back. The touch screen works. But if you touch "Advanced," for example, that screen is blank.

5 minutes: "Update Completed: Your SYNC system update was competed."
5:20: "Installation Complete: Installation Complete." The dialog box remains.

After 10 minutes I got restless and went back to Phone (must use the hard button, not the screen) > Settings > Advanced > System Information.

15 minutes in I start thinking it's done, so I re-paired my phone and ran a Vehicle Health Report. Things went smoothly.

I then took a deep breath and removed the USB drive. No error. I plugged my phone in (iPhone) and ran my favorite AppLink mobile app (Slacker Radio). No drama.

Went online and checked out my SYNC software update history, and it showed SYNC v4.6. Thanks for your help!
Old 11/15/16, 07:01 AM

OK, the website said to use the Media menu. Here's my experience using the Phone menu instead as you've instructed.

There were no prompts other than a "Begin Installation?" Dialog box. Choose yes. "Installing."

30 seconds pass before "Installing" prompt disappears. The formerly populated phone screen is empty.

After about 2 minutes the phone screen comes back. The touch screen works. But if you touch "Advanced," for example, that screen is blank.

5 minutes: "Update Completed: Your SYNC system update was competed."
5:20: "Installation Complete: Installation Complete." The dialog box remains.

After 10 minutes I got restless and went back to Phone (must use the hard button, not the screen) > Settings > Advanced > System Information.

15 minutes in I start thinking it's done, so I re-paired my phone and ran a Vehicle Health Report. Things went smoothly.

I then took a deep breath and removed the USB drive. No error. I plugged my phone in (iPhone) and ran my favorite AppLink mobile app (Slacker Radio). No drama.

Went online and checked out my SYNC software update history, and it showed SYNC v4.6. Thanks for your help!
Awesome! Glad to hear there were no flaws this time. I'm only a post away if you need assistance again!

Cara
Old 11/17/16, 12:12 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Well, I can report success. I utilized a fresh USB stick. Per Cara's suggestion I did a master reset before starting. The problem, at least with my car, is that Ford's on-line instructions are at best...incomplete. With my car once I reached the Media Menu screen I found I had to navigate further by use of the right hand dial and not by use of the buttons which is the implication of the online instruction page. That is not clear in the instruction. Once the required screens came up by dialing them in, the process went fairly easily. The multiple "installation complete" displays are a bit unnecessary and I didn't get any audible announcements that "The system will now reboot" etc but in defense the instructions said I MAY get that notice. I let it idle for 10 minutes after the final "Installation complete" and after the USB stopped blinking.

So until the next update I think its all good.

And I was kidding about looking at Camaro brochures-ugly car.

Last edited by junkman9096; 11/17/16 at 12:19 AM.
Old 11/17/16, 09:04 AM

Well, I can report success. I utilized a fresh USB stick. Per Cara's suggestion I did a master reset before starting. The problem, at least with my car, is that Ford's on-line instructions are at best...incomplete. With my car once I reached the Media Menu screen I found I had to navigate further by use of the right hand dial and not by use of the buttons which is the implication of the online instruction page. That is not clear in the instruction. Once the required screens came up by dialing them in, the process went fairly easily. The multiple "installation complete" displays are a bit unnecessary and I didn't get any audible announcements that "The system will now reboot" etc but in defense the instructions said I MAY get that notice. I let it idle for 10 minutes after the final "Installation complete" and after the USB stopped blinking.

So until the next update I think its all good.

And I was kidding about looking at Camaro brochures-ugly car.
Thanks for sharing! I also replied to your PM.

Cara
Old 11/19/16, 06:30 AM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fingers crossed, I think I got 4.6 to load successfully. I was not able to load 4.4 so this is a success. Getting to the correct prompts was not exactly as described. After one interim message of "Installation Complete, Rebooting" it took 10 minutes to get a "File Not Found" message. I tried Sync and it worked. And Bluetooth Audio using Spotify now shows the artist and song title! I had to re-pair my phone again the second time I tried it. Hopefully, it sticks this time. What other features does the 4.4 and 4.6 provide?
Old 11/19/16, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by tucsondivots
Fingers crossed, I think I got 4.6 to load successfully. I was not able to load 4.4 so this is a success. Getting to the correct prompts was not exactly as described. After one interim message of "Installation Complete, Rebooting" it took 10 minutes to get a "File Not Found" message. I tried Sync and it worked. And Bluetooth Audio using Spotify now shows the artist and song title! I had to re-pair my phone again the second time I tried it. Hopefully, it sticks this time. What other features does the 4.4 and 4.6 provide?
tucsondivots,

The latest release of SYNC V4.6 software delivers a more robust driving experience for vehicles equipped with SYNC and SYNC with MyFord. The latest version includes new features such as streamlined help commands that save time. SYNC offers the corresponding help prompts only to the area that you're using. Enhanced phone book search allows you to browse and scroll through your contacts, alphabetically. SYNC AppLink is now available in Canada and Mexico. Now, AppLink can be controlled in English, French (Canadian) and Spanish (Mexican). SYNC reboot allows you to quickly restart the SYNC system to facilitate communication between your Bluetooth - enabled device and SYNC, without repairing your device or performing a master reset.

Hope this helps!

Cara
Old 11/19/16, 03:15 PM
GT Member

tucsondivots,

The latest release of SYNC V4.6 software delivers a more robust driving experience for vehicles equipped with SYNC and SYNC with MyFord. The latest version includes new features such as streamlined help commands that save time. SYNC offers the corresponding help prompts only to the area that you're using. Enhanced phone book search allows you to browse and scroll through your contacts, alphabetically. SYNC AppLink is now available in Canada and Mexico. Now, AppLink can be controlled in English, French (Canadian) and Spanish (Mexican). SYNC reboot allows you to quickly restart the SYNC system to facilitate communication between your Bluetooth - enabled device and SYNC, without repairing your device or performing a master reset.

Hope this helps!

Cara
Cara,
Thanks. Everything seems to work well. Nice to be able to see artist name and song title when using Bluetooth. It is great you guys are still working to enhance the older version of Sync!
Walter
Old 11/21/16, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by tucsondivots
Cara,
Thanks. Everything seems to work well. Nice to be able to see artist name and song title when using Bluetooth. It is great you guys are still working to enhance the older version of Sync!
Walter
You got it Walter! If anything else comes up, you know how to reach me.

Cara
Old 11/21/16, 09:17 AM
GT Member

1) Ensure the vehicle is in an open area were exhaust fumes may dissipate naturally. Start the vehicle’s engine and insert the USB drive, ignore any messages about media playback. The engine must remain running until the update has completed.
4) Press Advanced

Keep me posted!

Cara

Cara,

Thanks for these instructions. It worked just as you said.
Old 11/21/16, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by maverick1125
Cara,

Thanks for these instructions. It worked just as you said.
You're welcome!

Cara
Old 12/19/16, 11:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Cara,

I don't know if you are available to answer other technical questions about the upgrade...

I have SYNC With Voice Activated Navigation in my '14. I have an iPhone 6s plus running iOS 10.2.

I am no longer able to use Siri if my iPhone is connected to SYNC whether wirelessly or through the USB port. If I press the home button on my iPhone like I used to, I get the Siri graphic but she cannot hear me. If I use the voice button on my steering wheel I get Samantha and she doesn't understand Siri commands (like "open Slacker Radio"). The home button used to work with my old SYNC 4.2.1.T.

Any advice? Thanks in advance.
Old 12/26/16, 07:07 PM

4) Press Advanced

Keep me posted!

Cara
Hello, I have tried to update my sync with the new update (did it once when i first got my car a year ago and worked perfectly) but this time the update did something where sync does not work anymore. Every-time i press on the AUX button it flashes Sync on the lcd for a brief second and goes back to the radio station i had before. I read on multiple forums that its a sign that the sync module went bad? hows that possible?

The flash drive was the same one i used last year, i formatted it before using it and even left it plugged in for quite a while too. not really sure why it made it to stop working.
Old 12/27/16, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by Raynier Leonardo
Hello, I have tried to update my sync with the new update (did it once when i first got my car a year ago and worked perfectly) but this time the update did something where sync does not work anymore. Every-time i press on the AUX button it flashes Sync on the lcd for a brief second and goes back to the radio station i had before. I read on multiple forums that its a sign that the sync module went bad? hows that possible?

The flash drive was the same one i used last year, i formatted it before using it and even left it plugged in for quite a while too. not really sure why it made it to stop working.
Raynier Leonardo,

I'm happy to help! Which SYNC system do you have: owner.ford.com/how-tos/sync-technology/all/get-started-with-sync/how-to-identify-your-sync-version.html?model

Cara

Quick Reply: Sync 4.4 Update.