2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Sync 4.4 Update.

Search this Thread

Old 4/17/15, 11:50 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
By dead I meant superseded with something newer. It was pretty disrespectful for Ford to continue selling 2013 and even 2014 model year Mustangs with SYNCv1.

I bet the code in the 2010-2014 nav units are all from 2010, or more likely, 2008-2009.
Old 4/18/15, 07:10 AM

Well, it looks like the issues I was having are partially fixed.
2013 V6 without nav connecting to a Moto X 1st gen.

The boot loop with 911 assist seems to be gone for me, although I have it set to disable 911 assist without notification and yet about 30 sec after I get the car running and music playing, it cuts out to display the "911 Assist is off" on the screen, cutting out any music that is playing even though it doesn't speak the warning. That's pretty annoying still.
My text messaging seems to be working properly now, which is something that it has never done, so that is good. The system also seems to, at least some of the time, remember that it was playing from Bluetooth and pick that back up.

I'm still not sure exactly which of the steps I took made things work better, but this is what I did:
After many pairings and un-pairings, I did a master reset and re-paired the phone, which did not solve any of my issues. I then deleted the phone from the car and the car from the phone. I shut the car off and opened the door to turn off the radio. I also shut down my phone. I then restarted the car and turned on the phone. This time, when I re-paired them, I got no boot loop, and I got all of the proper alert messages on the phone asking if SYNC can access my messaging and my phone/media audio.

So, it mostly works. I haven't used the bluetooth media streaming enough yet to really know if it is picking up the source all the time or not. I also do not like that the 911 assist is still giving me an alert which disrupts my music after I specifically told it not to alert me to it. I may have to just live with having it on, but I would like this issue resolved at some point as that is clearly not how the system should work.
Old 4/18/15, 11:00 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Clue
I meant through a re-start of the car. ie..I put the USB thumb drive in USB(1), then in USB2 and it starts working from 2. Pull USB1 back out. Then I turn the car off and come back later...do I have to do that all over again?
No, you don't have to do it again. It remembers through car ignition on-off cycles. If you pull USB2, or disconnect the battery, then you have to go through the process again.
Old 4/18/15, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by msqr
By dead I meant superseded with something newer. It was pretty disrespectful for Ford to continue selling 2013 and even 2014 model year Mustangs with SYNCv1.

I bet the code in the 2010-2014 nav units are all from 2010, or more likely, 2008-2009.
The way it has all played out it is a lot like gen1 sync was "windows xp" and MFT is "Windows Vista". It came after, and there may be a better feature here or there, but it is not a better replacement. Gen3 is hopefully "windows 7" Which was Vista with all the patches it was stable and didn't crash. MFT was absolutely horrible up through about 3.2 and up to that point crashed and hung up constantly. Also unfortunately mft is becoming more fragmented and now anything up to 2013 is stuck on 3.6 2014s run 3.7 and 2015 mustang is running 3.7.11 and now all gen1 is actually on the same page. It is just my opinion, but I still like gen1 better than mft in my wife's car. MFT still doesn't overlay traffic properly, the map system is slow on the SD card and you can watch the screen draw the picture, if a text comes in the notification disappears in about 3 seconds and if you don't jump on it you miss it completely. I have a huge list of dislikes that goes on and on and the only better thing I can think of is how her reverse camera activates in about 2 seconds after ignition. I admired Fords decision to not put mft in the mustang for add long as possible and now that they put mft in it it runs is own special version.
Old 4/18/15, 12:23 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by DudeChaos
The way it has all played out it is a lot like gen1 sync was "windows xp" and MFT is "Windows Vista". It came after, and there may be a better feature here or there, but it is not a better replacement. Gen3 is hopefully "windows 7" Which was Vista with all the patches it was stable and didn't crash. MFT was absolutely horrible up through about 3.2 and up to that point crashed and hung up constantly. Also unfortunately mft is becoming more fragmented and now anything up to 2013 is stuck on 3.6 2014s run 3.7 and 2015 mustang is running 3.7.11 and now all gen1 is actually on the same page. It is just my opinion, but I still like gen1 better than mft in my wife's car. MFT still doesn't overlay traffic properly, the map system is slow on the SD card and you can watch the screen draw the picture, if a text comes in the notification disappears in about 3 seconds and if you don't jump on it you miss it completely. I have a huge list of dislikes that goes on and on and the only better thing I can think of is how her reverse camera activates in about 2 seconds after ignition. I admired Fords decision to not put mft in the mustang for add long as possible and now that they put mft in it it runs is own special version.
The difference between Ford and your Windows analogy is that, MFT is garbage because Ford farmed it out to some company to slap something on top of Microsoft Auto. Of course when you a bunch of people partying, you get something that's laggy and freezes up all the time. Apparently, it was so bad, Ford got MS to look at MFT and re-write a whole bunch of it, which is why the latter 3.6 or so copies are 'usable'.
Old 4/18/15, 04:45 PM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
You guys have it right. MFT was such a disaster, we're lucky Ford didn't put it on the newer mustangs. My 2012 focus has MFT and is was extremely frustrating and bug ridden during 2012 and into 2013. It would literally crash and your heating stopped and no radio at all - maybe taking 5 to 10 minutes to recover and start working again. Not good when your windows fog up on the freeway because MFT crashed (daily!). My 2012 mustang had the gen1 sync and I was soooo much happier with that. Only the last year or so has MFT been usable.
Old 4/20/15, 09:10 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did the update on my 2012 F250.. not thrilled. More bugs than before, but atleast Pandora works if I do the start / stop thing before I try to connect with SYNC.

I liked the MFT in the Raptor sooo much better than this POS.

BTW, how do you get updates for the maps? I believe it's supposed to be a DVD?

Last edited by 69Mach1-409; 4/20/15 at 09:12 PM.
Old 4/20/15, 09:14 PM

Www.navteq.Com and they run about $150 with free shipping. Probably new maps in a month or so I would guess. They have been out a while.
Old 4/21/15, 07:59 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The update finally showed up for my car and I installed with no issues .. apparently the update files are specific depending on the currently installed version. My update was for version 4.2.1.4
Old 4/21/15, 08:55 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by DudeChaos
Www.navteq.Com and they run about $150 with free shipping. Probably new maps in a month or so I would guess. They have been out a while.
When I click that link, it redirects to here. https://company.here.com/consumer/

I believe this is the link. http://allthingsnav.navigation.com/

Last edited by 69Mach1-409; 4/21/15 at 09:09 AM.
Old 4/21/15, 09:41 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 69Mach1-409
When I click that link, it redirects to here. https://company.here.com/consumer/ I believe this is the link. http://allthingsnav.navigation.com/
Current latest map version is 7.0 which came out in 2014 july.. Wait for 8.0
Old 4/21/15, 12:14 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
A couple weeks in with 4.4, here's what I've noticed good & bad:
  • the streaming Bluetooth info on screen is great. Works with Pandora, Spotify, streaming music from my iPhone and even brings in the score when I stream a ballgame via SiriusXM.
  • As I said previously, it inexplicably will no longer catalog my entire iPod so I can only do voice command by artist or album, not individual song title, which I used to do constantly. Hate that.
  • The recognition of what I'm saying seems to be slower than the original software did, which is also inexplicable.
  • It also is more sensitive to road noise - I used to be able to give accurate voice commands at 60 MPH with the windows down, and no more.
  • Haven't really tried to make AppLink work yet but I need to, since you can use it with Pandora, Spotify and SiriusXM, though it's pretty limited and niche beyond those.
  • Haven't gotten it to read SMS to me either, though I am still not sure if my iPhone 6 should work with that or not.
Old 4/21/15, 07:11 PM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the info...

This has got to be one of the more infuriating things to put in. Its different for every car, I think. I bumbled through everything and got as far as "rebooting" and after many several minutes it said "Sync Line In" and stayed there. After waiting a real long time, I called their help line. I told the fellow what I did and where I was in the installation. He said to yank out the USB. He told me how to get the version number. Don't ask me how I did it bc I don't remember, but the version was current so the update did in fact download. Apparently "Sync Line In" also meant the download was complete.

My mileage while the car was running dropped from 18.5 to 18.0 and it got really hot underneath. The hood prop was too hot to the touch.

I am glad however that I have the current version.

And then it was putting the usb back into the computer and reporting it to ford.

Now I can get artist and title on my music. Had to re-pair my phone.

I think the Sync is very user unfriendly. It should be called Stync.

Last edited by 14BlackGT; 4/21/15 at 07:15 PM. Reason: added emoticon and content.
Old 4/21/15, 07:45 PM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
When I click that link, it redirects to here. https://company.here.com/consumer/

I believe this is the link. http://allthingsnav.navigation.com/
Actually, the link should be:
http://ford.navigation.com/
Old 4/23/15, 12:16 AM
Cobra Member

So true
Attached Thumbnails Sync 4.4 Update.-tmp_16457-43f1dacd3c3fe514d31ea556f01def0262537b2cc83099364e08c60a7f9235aa_11319423816.jpg  
Old 4/28/15, 08:04 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by skramblr
Actually, the link should be:
http://ford.navigation.com/
Thanks. I emailed them about the latest update disk. They responded saying that the last one came out in July of 2014, no date has been released for the next one, and they typically release a new one every 12-18 months... so basically not hold my breath.
Old 4/28/15, 12:54 PM
GT Member

Thanks. I emailed them about the latest update disk. They responded saying that the last one came out in July of 2014, no date has been released for the next one, and they typically release a new one every 12-18 months... so basically not hold my breath.
honestly the destinations app should be able to handle the updates over bluetooth in this day and age.
Old 5/18/15, 04:13 PM
Cobra Member

I want to shine a light on the issue hopefully this will solve many problems with iphone users

SSM 45123 - Effective May 14 2015 Various SYNC Equipped Vehicles – Apple iOS 8 and or iPhone 6 Functional Issues

SSM 45123 - Various SYNC Equipped Vehicles – Apple iOS 8 and or iPhone 6 Functional Issues
Some customers with SYNC equipped vehicles may experience Bluetooth connectivity issues after upgrading to Apple iOS 8/8.01/8.02 or using an iPhone 6 with SYNC. This is not a SYNC hardware or software concern. Apple advised that release iOS 8.1 resolved Bluetooth connectivity issues. Please direct customers to update to Apple iOS 8.1 or later. If this doesn't resolve customer connectivity concerns, direct customer to the following Apple support URL: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht6473.
Old 6/11/15, 05:42 PM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Azrael
Just did this update on my car.
FJ5T-14D544-AB
V4.4 is a software update available for 2010-2014 model year vehicles equipped with Gen1 SYNC.
"If you have SYNC with voice-activated navigation, check out these instructions instead: "
---
Thanks for the great write-up, Jack. I just did the update, what a project. Thanks especially for the special 'If you have SYNC with voice-activated navigation' instructions. Ford gave me other instructions that did not work - yours were perfect. The only improvement I can tell thus far is Track/Artist info when streaming from a Bluetooth device. I still have two bug-a-boos with my 2011 GT SYNC:
1) Some tracks will not play on the USB, no matter what I do. The tracks have perfect tags. They play on iTunes, they play on iPhone and iPad, and when streaming. But they will not play on the USB in the car. The track appears on the screen, and the timer actually runs to simulate the song playing...but...no music. Nuts!
2) When playing music on the USB, turn off radio, turn off car. Turn on car, turn on radio, the system recognizes the previous USB track, the track appears on the screen, and the timer actually runs to simulate the song playing...but...no music. Again...nuts!
Old 6/12/15, 12:49 PM
Ford In-Vehicle Technology Rep

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by PJRManagement
---
Thanks for the great write-up, Jack. I just did the update, what a project. Thanks especially for the special 'If you have SYNC with voice-activated navigation' instructions. Ford gave me other instructions that did not work - yours were perfect. The only improvement I can tell thus far is Track/Artist info when streaming from a Bluetooth device. I still have two bug-a-boos with my 2011 GT SYNC:
1) Some tracks will not play on the USB, no matter what I do. The tracks have perfect tags. They play on iTunes, they play on iPhone and iPad, and when streaming. But they will not play on the USB in the car. The track appears on the screen, and the timer actually runs to simulate the song playing...but...no music. Nuts!
2) When playing music on the USB, turn off radio, turn off car. Turn on car, turn on radio, the system recognizes the previous USB track, the track appears on the screen, and the timer actually runs to simulate the song playing...but...no music. Again...nuts!
Hey PJRManagement,

Have you tried a master reset since installing 4.4?

If not, I recommended it. Here are the steps: http://owner.ford.com/how-tos/sync-t...ter-reset.html

You can also try SYNC my iTunes; logging in is required to see this tool. Once you’re logged in, scroll down to the bottom of the update page and check it out: https://owner.ford.com/tools/account...p-to-date.html

Whitney

Quick Reply: Sync 4.4 Update.