Sponsored By:

Suspension Question

Search this Thread

Old 7/17/16, 09:26 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suspension Question

Hi All,

I bought a full suspension set up last year, but haven't put it on yet and I'm up in the air about keeping it. I was hoping you guys could help me out with some questions. I got the 1" lowering springs, koni shocks and struts, Shelby strut mounts, and sway bar.

Those of you who are lowered, how often do you scrape?
How much better handling would you say to expect?
And if I decide not to keep the set up, is there any interest from any one here to buy it from me?

Thanks all.
Old 7/17/16, 09:26 AM
Bullitt Member

Also forgot to mention its for a 2013 gt
Old 7/17/16, 09:35 AM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
I'm lowered 1" front, and 1.25" in the rear on Steeda Sports with Koni Yellows. I also have the Steeda HD strut mounts and adjustable panhard bar, and Competition front adjustable Sway bar.

I have never scraped. Car handles WAAAAY better than stock GT Track Pack suspension. It's a bit firmer but feel like it's on rails, and I can still kick out the tail when I want.

This was the best mod I've had so far. At the track I firn up the dampers, and I can carry a lot more speed through corners than before.

Depending what your goals are, but for me it was waaaay worth it. It's like driving a different car, in the best possible way.
Old 7/17/16, 09:40 AM

I'm lowered about 1-1/4" on FRPP "P" springs with FRPP adjustable dampers with GT500 strut mounts and a GT500 adjustable panhard bar. I have only barely scraped my front valence once or twice on a steep approach and it was pretty minor. The difference in handling is night and day, the car carves corners like its on rails! The ride is not choppy or harsh in anyway, it just feels more firm and planted. I was originally paranoid about messing with the factory suspension but, I am happy I upgraded.
Old 7/17/16, 10:06 AM
Bullitt Member

Got it, thanks guys! You've convinced me to take the plunge haha I'll let you know how it goes after install!
Old 7/17/16, 10:39 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I see that you have decided to do it. I agree. It's the best mod I've done. Monster said it best I think. It's night and day. It's so much better than stock. It makes it feel controlled and inspires confidence.

One thing I do disagree on is scraping. If you don't drive it like a lowered car, it can scrape on ugly driveways. There are driveways that make stock cars almost scrape. A lowered mustang will scrape if you don't angle out of the drive way and go slow. You have to go slow over obscene speed bumps. I've lowers all my cars since I was a kid and I've been driving for 28 years. My car seldom scrapes. If you drive it right, it won't scrape. You drive it like its a full ride height car and don't pay attention, you'll scrape sooner or later.
Old 7/17/16, 02:15 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
For what it's worth, scraped on what?

My 1" lowered (albiet 2006 model) will *occasionally* scrape on the speed bumps, depending on the height and drop off of the speed bump in question. I think it hits the transmission bellhousing a little. >.< Whatever it's smacking it pains me every time.

Having said it, I wouldn't not do it. The car looks perfect that 1" lower, and handling is just fantastic in comparison with the sway bars and shocks/struts too.

I approve.
Old 7/17/16, 03:11 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
[QUOTE]I'm lowered 1" front, and 1.25" in the rear on Steeda Sports with Koni Yellows. I also have the Steeda HD strut mounts and adjustable panhard bar, and Competition front adjustable Sway bar.

I have never scraped. Car handles WAAAAY better than stock GT Track Pack suspension. It's a bit firmer but feel like it's on rails, and I can still kick out the tail when I want. [QUOTE]

This was the best mod I've had so far. At the track I firn up the dampers, and I can carry a lot more speed through corners than before.

Depending what your goals are, but for me it was waaaay worth it. It's like driving a different car, in the best possible way.[QUOTE]

So, you should go with Steeda if you don't have our package is what I am gathering

TJ
Old 7/17/16, 04:00 PM
GT Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm running the Steeda boss springs, I have only scraped once. On a steep driveway incline that was gouged up from others scraping, and that was just my exhaust which is hanging lower than it should be right now anyway.
Old 7/17/16, 07:39 PM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

Received 132 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
I'm lowered 1" front, and 1.25" in the rear on Steeda Sports with Koni Yellows. I also have the Steeda HD strut mounts and adjustable panhard bar, and Competition front adjustable Sway bar.

I have never scraped. Car handles WAAAAY better than stock GT Track Pack suspension. It's a bit firmer but feel like it's on rails, and I can still kick out the tail when I want.

Depending what your goals are, but for me it was waaaay worth it. It's like driving a different car, in the best possible way.
Ditto what 5.MONSTER said. I have a similar setup with non adjustable Koni's. I have never scraped and the mods totally transformed the handling of my 2011.