Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Sunroof?

Old 4/9/10, 11:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sunroof?

This might be a newbie question but, is there a reason other than the glass roof that a sunroof is not available on a Mustang?
Old 4/9/10, 11:59 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Probably a combination of low demand and not wanting to sacrifice head room.
Old 4/10/10, 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
I'm guessing you're right but a sunroof is a common option on most cars, Camaro / Challenger included. I was just wondering if it was a structural type of thing with the Mustang. Was a sunroof ever an option on the Mustang?
Old 4/10/10, 12:34 AM
eci
Banned

Originally Posted by Mightylerxst
I'm guessing you're right but a sunroof is a common option on most cars, Camaro / Challenger included. I was just wondering if it was a structural type of thing with the Mustang. Was a sunroof ever an option on the Mustang?
Flipup moonroof on fox body.
Old 4/10/10, 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
Originally Posted by eci
Flipup moonroof on fox body.
The flipup moonroof answered both of my questions. If they did and why they don't!
Old 4/10/10, 06:10 AM
Mach 1 Member

Given how rounded the roof is on modern models, it might would be either hard or expensive to build in a sunroof that would look right.
Old 4/10/10, 07:37 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Skotty
Given how rounded the roof is on modern models, it might would be either hard or expensive to build in a sunroof that would look right.
I say it is because they don't want to kill the verts sales !
Old 4/10/10, 08:12 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
In 1994, Ford figured if you really want an open top, buy the new and much improved Convertible Mustang. Since then, the've only offered a sun roof in car lines without a convertible option and where loss of head room is not an issue.

I think car mfr's also feel today's customers are beyond "removable" sun-roofs, so if they can't offer a power roof without sacrificing head room forget it.

To me the Camaro looks silly with a Power Roof that opens up OVER the roof. Even by doing this, somehow there is still headroom loss with the sunroof option.

On the Mustang, the Glass Roof option is what Ford came up with to address the no-sunroof complaints without sacrificing head room. It is way cooler than a closed sunroof and is HALF the added cost of going to a Convertible. If you really must have the wind in your hair, well then Ford feels you need a convertible.

Doug
Old 4/10/10, 08:58 AM
V6 Member

I dont think there is enough flat surface to design a normal sliding sunroof.

The mustangs roof is too curved. Maybe they could do something like the multi panel sunroof pontiac had on the G6.
Old 4/10/10, 09:24 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Rob89-94-11?
I dont think there is enough flat surface to design a normal sliding sunroof.

The mustangs roof is too curved. Maybe they could do something like the multi panel sunroof pontiac had on the G6.
Yes, I am on this one. I remember I read same information somewhere before, when people wonder the reason that ford doesn't offer sunroof for mustang. It is probably the official ford words.
Old 4/10/10, 12:02 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I think if someone is willing to pay for a sun/moon roof they would be willing to part with a little more cash for a vert.
Old 4/10/10, 12:05 PM
eci
Banned

Originally Posted by Flagstang
I think if someone is willing to pay for a sun/moon roof they would be willing to part with a little more cash for a vert.
What if they want the look of the coupe? A little more cash? The sunroof on my G8 was $995. A convertible Mustang is $5,000 more. If 5x the cost of a sunroof is a little more cash, ok.
Old 4/10/10, 12:07 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I love my 2009 mustang GT. But, I oved my 2006 Gt vert even more.

happy camper
Old 4/10/10, 01:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by MontrealStang
I say it is because they don't want to kill the verts sales !
Martin, You have a grabber on order, me too... looks like we going to have a rare color car this year in Montreal region... Grabber Blue not much popular IMO!!

I guess ford does not mind much about a Vert sales vs Coupe... given they make a sale !!

Last edited by RickyD; 4/10/10 at 01:52 PM.
Old 4/10/10, 02:43 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by eci
What if they want the look of the coupe? A little more cash? The sunroof on my G8 was $995. A convertible Mustang is $5,000 more. If 5x the cost of a sunroof is a little more cash, ok.
What type of g8 do you have? I have one for my daily, its an 08 Liquid Red Gt with sport or roof. It does have the red insert package. Great car. Its got exhaust and OTR intake so far. Cam and longtubes aren't far behind once the warranty is out. I am taking it to the track in May to see what she'll run.

Respectfully

Roger
Old 4/10/10, 04:15 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't think it's an engineering problem. They must not think there is enough demand. I think the glass roof is very cool and I ordered my 2011 with it, but I've never seen a Mustang on the street or even in a dealership that had it, so obviously it's not a popular option. Maybe Ford feels a regular sunroof would have even fewer takers.

When they come out with a whole new body (in 2014?) I would like to see them offer a hatchback body style with tinted glass T-tops. I'm probably in the minority though, and don't expect to see it.
Old 4/10/10, 05:14 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by RandyW
I don't think it's an engineering problem. They must not think there is enough demand. I think the glass roof is very cool and I ordered my 2011 with it, but I've never seen a Mustang on the street or even in a dealership that had it, so obviously it's not a popular option. Maybe Ford feels a regular sunroof would have even fewer takers.

When they come out with a whole new body (in 2014?) I would like to see them offer a hatchback body style with tinted glass T-tops. I'm probably in the minority though, and don't expect to see it.
Your gonna love the glass roof. It's my favorite part of my '10. I only wish it was a targa top though. That would be perfection. On a sunny day pull the visor shut while going down the road, it's super cool how much it opens up the interior, with the top closed it kinda just feels like any 'ole car but opened it seems like something special inside.
Old 4/10/10, 05:50 PM
eci
Banned

Originally Posted by mach1fever
What type of g8 do you have? I have one for my daily, its an 08 Liquid Red Gt with sport or roof. It does have the red insert package. Great car. Its got exhaust and OTR intake so far. Cam and longtubes aren't far behind once the warranty is out. I am taking it to the track in May to see what she'll run.

Respectfully

Roger
It's a PBM 2008 GT with Sport/Premium/Sunroof. Only mod is Corsa catback. Love the car!
Old 4/10/10, 06:17 PM
GT Member

I really wish they'd offer a sunroof. I've had them on other cars and always loved them. I have no interest in a vert whatsoever. If money was no object and I was ordering a 2011, I'd get the glass roof but I think it sucks that it doesn't open or isn't removable.
Old 4/10/10, 06:37 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by eci
It's a PBM 2008 GT with Sport/Premium/Sunroof. Only mod is Corsa catback. Love the car!
Mine is a premium as well. Forgot to mention that. I wish they would have kept making them, I probably would have upgraded with the next generation. It really is a great car. I picked up mine for 23k with 7k miles. It was from the gm exec auctions and they started the in-service date from the day I bought it. Handles great, brakes really well, and has great power. I wish more people knew about these cars before they cut off Pontiac. Its one of the few cars that Pontiac had since the end of the 90's Trans-am that was great. I mean technically its a Holden but I love it. I couldn't find the sport in anything other than white at the time so I jumped on this one. Have you run yours at the track yet? I am expecting 13.4's because of the humidity etc. My only complaints are no nav available and the factory trans tuning could have been better. The tune took care of that and the annoying cylinder deactivation. If you don't mind posting some pics, I would love to see it.

Respectfully,

Roger

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sunroof?