Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Stopping Insurance in Storage

Search this Thread

Old 2/17/17, 08:32 AM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,957 Likes on 1,584 Posts
Originally Posted by TripleBlack14
Without comprehensive there'd be no coverage in the event of garage roof collapse, fire, or a flood. Homeowners insurance doesn't cover damage to a car that you own.

As an aside, I personally don't believe in removing coverage on a car for any reason other than the sale or loss of the vehicle, or when a usable vehicle is too old to have monetary value and the cost of physical damage coverage is no longer warranted. After 34 years as an auto insurance claims adjuster I've seen far too many 'Murphy's Law' scenarios that would compel me to take the risk, even if only temporarily.

I drive my Mustang as often as possible, weather permitting. It doesn't see snow or rain; as long as the roads are dry, even residual salt is of no concern. Last winter in NJ we had one of the most cooperative winters on record and so far this winter hasn't been to bad either. I'm leaving for Cape May today and the weather is supposed to be in the mid-60's this weekend. I'm not passing up the chance to put the top down in February.
In that case, I'll be contacting my State Farm Agent.. As they have what's called insurance reduction coverage during winter storage in which everything is suspended except for fire and theft.. So I'll need to find out what is covered and what is not covered in the event of a garage collapse or fire..

In the meantime, thanks for bringing me up to speed, as I'm really very grateful
Old 2/17/17, 08:43 AM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,171 Likes on 1,619 Posts
Yep same here I'm looking into it especially for next year.
Old 2/17/17, 08:53 AM

Guess I should consider myself pretty lucky that my garage hasn't caught on fire nor experienced any roof related issues while my car is in storage over the winter
Old 2/17/17, 11:59 AM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

I asked about home owners insurance while keeping a car in storage and my agent told me the insurance follows the car first. In other words you better keep the comprehension and collision part for sure.
Old 2/17/17, 12:50 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,199 Posts
Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
Tony ! I always thought your car had to be considered a classic to be eligible for Grundy classic car insurance
Hi Rocky! Sorry, I didn't see these posts. lol
Grundy insures all types of vehicles. As long as you have a garage for the car you covering with them and a daily driver. You MUST have those. If not, they will not cover you. I put a 43k value on the Roush. I was going to up it this year, but I did not.

I'm leaving for Cape May today and the weather is supposed to be in the mid-60's this weekend. I'm not passing up the chance to put the top down in February.
Welcome back Tom!!!
This is pretty good weather for February! Enjoy your ride bro!
Old 2/17/17, 04:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Without comprehensive there'd be no coverage in the event of garage roof collapse, fire, or a flood. Homeowners insurance doesn't cover damage to a car that you own.

As an aside, I personally don't believe in removing coverage on a car for any reason other than the sale or loss of the vehicle, or when a usable vehicle is too old to have monetary value and the cost of physical damage coverage is no longer warranted. After 34 years as an auto insurance claims adjuster I've seen far too many 'Murphy's Law' scenarios that would compel me to take the risk, even if only temporarily.

I drive my Mustang as often as possible, weather permitting. It doesn't see snow or rain; as long as the roads are dry, even residual salt is of no concern. Last winter in NJ we had one of the most cooperative winters on record and so far this winter hasn't been to bad either. I'm leaving for Cape May today and the weather is supposed to be in the mid-60's this weekend. I'm not passing up the chance to put the top down in February.
Welcome back!
Old 2/17/17, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Stage_3
Hi Rocky! Sorry, I didn't see these posts. lol
Grundy insures all types of vehicles. As long as you have a garage for the car you covering with them and a daily driver. You MUST have those. If not, they will not cover you. I put a 43k value on the Roush. I was going to up it this year, but I did not.
That's great Tony ! I'll be contacting Grundy on Monday, as I have both a DD and my garage
Old 2/18/17, 01:19 AM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
That's great Tony ! I'll be contacting Grundy on Monday, as I have both a DD and my garage
I have my 07 and my 00R with Heacock

Same situation. Must have a garage (but it must be where you live) and a daily driver. My wife and I are on the policy but I have to get signed exclusions for my daughters who are of driving age but obviously not covered.
Old 2/18/17, 07:11 AM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Well my insurance company flat out told me they don't offer any reduced policy like that. So I guess that is why they were cheaper with the same coverages as before with my other insurer.
Old 2/18/17, 12:45 PM

Like you right ???
Old 2/18/17, 02:01 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Originally Posted by Gravydog316
Insurance is just a form if gambling & a waste of $ ...
you could use that cash to buy a new car!!
You don't drive around with no insurance do you?!??
Old 2/18/17, 04:49 PM

So what happens if for some god forsaken reason your car ends up getting totaled in an accident, who's going to pay to replace it without insurance.. YOU ??? Or better yet, what happens if somebody else gets seriously injured or even worse.. Who's going to pay to cover the persons medical expenses or funeral expenses.. Are you going to be able to afford paying out of pocket ??? And last, but not least, the lawsuits you'd also be facing on top of everything else as well.. So once again, who's going to pay for everything.. YOU ??? I think not and I sure wouldn't count on Daddy to bail you out either !!!

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 2/19/17 at 03:15 PM.
Old 2/19/17, 09:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not to mention your license will get suspended the first time you get caught driving without insurance. If you really dont care about the cost of a replacement vehicle or the cost of the medical and lawsuits you will be responsible for if you hit somebody at least get state minimum liability to be legal.
Old 2/19/17, 10:15 AM
Roush Forum Stalker

That money can be in the bank, & it's there if you need it. Right?
Well,....now that depends. Do you have enough money to cover the damage to your car, the other person's car and injuries, if there are any?!?
That's A LOT Of money!
Old 2/19/17, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Stage_3
Well,....now that depends. Do you have enough money to cover the damage to your car, the other person's car and injuries, if there are any?!?
That's A LOT Of money!
Tony ! it's more than obvious this person has no consideration towards anyone else but herself, especially when it concerns covering the damages towards the other person's car and most importantly when it concerns covering the medical or funeral expenses of another person in the event of a serious or fatal car accident..

IMHO this is just a fine example why everyone else ends up paying higher insurance premiums, is because of people like this who shouldn't even be allowed the privilege in having a driver's license to begin with in the first place, let alone deserve to be sharing our roads & highways

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 2/19/17 at 03:57 PM.
Old 2/19/17, 07:35 PM

Let's get something straight.. First of all, there's a time and a place for joking around.. However when it comes to the lives and safety of other people, it's no laughing matter.. And second, this forum also has rules when it comes to hijacking threads.. Therefore if your unable to contribute by staying on topic when posting your opinions, then just keep your comments to yourself.. It's just as simple as that !
Old 2/19/17, 08:13 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Well this one time at band camp...
Old 2/19/17, 11:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
1) I was only kidding.
B) Chill omg
In my state, you can self insure if you can prove to the state you have assets large enough to cover the state's minimum required insurance levels. I just figured you were rich enough to pull this off.
Old 2/20/17, 07:07 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by =HYPERDRIVE=
In CT I have had Geico put me on a storage policy, which leaves comprehensive ON and takes off liability for the months your not driving. It does save you some money,normaly I pay about 150$ a month, in storage its about 20 bucks a month.

The only issue I get now is the moment I switch the policy to storage, geico servers send that info to DMV, and at that point DMV basically has me marked as uninsured motorist. I have to get Geico send a "proof of Insurance" and state its in storage and that I still maintain a comprehensive coverage.
First time 2 years back ,they sent me a registration suspension notice after 3 months, having me to get it resolved. Then same thing this year, only problem was I had put the car in storage and bought a new winter/DD car 2 weeks after. Could not get it registered at the dealer because of the "outstanding insurance compliance" at DMV. Took me almost 2 weeks back and forth with DMV over the phone to get it fixed.

The **** DMV makes me hate thinking of putting the car in storage now, every time I do it, and every time I put it back into full coverage, I got to send in "proof of insurance" letter from Geico to DMV, stating from what date storage policy started/ended, then a separate one for when the full coverage started, which I usually start of the month of April. Then constantly check my DMV record online to see if they really have cleared all the issues, dont want to get a suspension notice few months after.
My situation is basically identical to yours, (CT/insurer) and I haven't had any issues with removing liability and only leaving fire/theft for the winter...this was the first year that I've tried this, now I'm worried.
Old 2/20/17, 09:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by MRGTX
My situation is basically identical to yours, (CT/insurer) and I haven't had any issues with removing liability and only leaving fire/theft for the winter...this was the first year that I've tried this, now I'm worried.
Check your status on the DMV website, here is a link to check if there is any "issues" that might be on your record.

https://dmvcivls-wselfservice.ct.gov...nce/Individual

Here is a page stating all the info on insurance for CT residents:

http://www.ct.gov/dmv/cwp/view.asp?a=1523&q=245056

from that link:

"What if I am not using my seasonal vehicle and wish to retain my license plates?

Request in writing through your insurance carrier "suspension of liability." Be sure to keep comprehensive coverage during that time which reduces your insurance rate and keeps your vehicle from being reported. While doing this, you must NOT operate your vehicle."

Basically, at least with me the moment you change your policy and remove liability you are reported by their systems as "uninsured" and you got to get your insurance company to send in either mail/email/fax the "proof of insurance" to clear you. check your status, you dont want to get a registration suspension letter and then hurry trying to get it resolved.

Last edited by =HYPERDRIVE=; 2/20/17 at 09:53 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MRGTX (2/21/17)