2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Sticking starter issue

Search this Thread

Old 10/14/10, 12:38 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like a TSB on the way, this shouldn't be happening and it sounds like a fairly wide spread problem.
Old 10/16/10, 07:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I too have a 5.0 that does the same thing, on occasion. Turn the key, the engine cranks but does not start for a few extra seconds where it normally starts instandly, makes me nervous.
Old 10/20/10, 03:37 AM
Bullitt Member

Same here happened to me. looks like the key gets stuck on the crank position and the car just cranks. If you turn the key back a slight it will dislodge itself and start. I figured it just need to be worn down/broken in a bit.
Old 10/20/10, 05:34 AM
Bullitt Member

I've had this happen to me once, but it only did it after I had the back of the car jacked up so I could install my GT500 lower diffuser. So I'm thinking it could be something with the passive antitheft.
Old 10/20/10, 05:44 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I have this same issue with my '10 Fusion. It happened last night as I was leaving the gym. The car only sat for an hour and a half and it was fairly warm out so it wasnt due to a cold start. The starter just kept turning for almost 10 seconds until i turned the key off. I could feel the engine trying to start but it kept acting like it was starving for fuel.
The car started just fine this morning and it was 34 degrees out.
I plan on calling my local dealer this morning and getting the car looked at. This is the 4th time this has happened and my Fusion has 8,000 miles on it.
Old 10/20/10, 08:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

This has happened to me a handful of times.
Old 11/9/10, 12:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Ok so this has happened to me about 6 times since ive own the GT. always in two's, after the third try it starts. Any know if there is a TSB on this yet? Like mentioned earlier, try and simulate the problem at the dealer... NOT GONNA HAPPEN.
Old 11/9/10, 12:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Jcint
Ok so this has happened to me about 6 times since ive own the GT. always in two's, after the third try it starts. Any know if there is a TSB on this yet? Like mentioned earlier, try and simulate the problem at the dealer... NOT GONNA HAPPEN.
I have noticed that it does seem to happen in twos. It happened again a month or two ago, turned it on once and it turned over for three or four seconds then started, then a day or two later it did it again with the same results. And now it hasn't happened since.
Old 11/9/10, 05:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by pony racer
if i wait for the " cycle " then turn the key to the start position it doesnt happen..
hasnt hapend at all since doing this..
Old 11/9/10, 11:09 PM
Bullitt Member

I guess I better try that. I hope this is a temp thing or better yet a TSB.
Old 11/10/10, 08:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

I'm not too worried. Probably started it 300 times by now and this has happened maybe six times total. I don't -think- it hurts anything, but at 2% chance of maybe causing it I don't think the dealership will be able to duplicate it. Besides, all it is for me is a couple extra seconds before it starts. They probably wouldn't do anything even if they did duplicate it.
Old 11/10/10, 12:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Lancel
I'm not too worried. Probably started it 300 times by now and this has happened maybe six times total. I don't -think- it hurts anything, but at 2% chance of maybe causing it I don't think the dealership will be able to duplicate it. Besides, all it is for me is a couple extra seconds before it starts. They probably wouldn't do anything even if they did duplicate it.
I agree, It's more embarrasing than anything. Here is a NEW car and it's not starting. I tryed the "let it cycle thing" would you beleive it stalled right there and then but,only once not the usual 2x. Since it only happens sometimes i'm just going to live with it unless it gets worst and i can duplicate it for the repair shop.
Old 11/17/10, 07:15 AM
Banned

I have this same problem. It happens for like 3 seconds where the car is turning on and it won't start and after 3 seconds it will fire it up. It's very annoying and embarrassing as others have stated. New car shouldn't be doing that. It seems as though weather has an impact on it. The colder it is, the harder the starts.
Old 2/11/11, 09:13 AM

I'm having the same problem, so I took my car to the New Jersey dealer, the same dealer where I bought the car, they told me they couldn't find anything wrong. I'm not sure if they just didn't want to deal with warrenty work, but I may try taking it to a different dealer in Maryland, where I'm currently living now. Let me know how things go for you.
Old 2/11/11, 09:34 AM
Mach 1 Member

Did it happen more than once or twice? My issue has been that the sticking start almost never happens and I can't figure out how to duplicate it. Though come to think of it mine hasn't done it since October of November. Probably now that I've said that it will stick the next time I start it. :P
Old 2/11/11, 02:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Mine hasn't done it in a while too. I guess it fixed itself?
Old 2/11/11, 04:46 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by ramairgt1
I have this same issue with my '10 Fusion. It happened last night as I was leaving the gym. The car only sat for an hour and a half and it was fairly warm out so it wasnt due to a cold start. The starter just kept turning for almost 10 seconds until i turned the key off. I could feel the engine trying to start but it kept acting like it was starving for fuel.
The car started just fine this morning and it was 34 degrees out.
I plan on calling my local dealer this morning and getting the car looked at. This is the 4th time this has happened and my Fusion has 8,000 miles on it.

First, don't go to the gym, that is where this problem started. Ultimately going to the gym causes soreness, stiffness and SWELLING!

Second, I've had starter sticking problems as well. Ultimately it doesn't seem like it's hurting anything, though it does annoy me.
Old 2/11/11, 06:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Look in the warrenty section on here. This is a pretty common problem. it happened to me too. take it to dealer.
Old 2/11/11, 07:24 PM
GT Member

No problems here yet. Starts very very easy.
Old 3/22/11, 10:11 AM

I had the same problem this week. It took 4 times to start the engine. Took it to the dealer today. He showed me (on his PC workstation) that the car has a One-Touch Start and it will crank without holding the key in the start position, for up to 10 seconds. Per the service advisor, this is not a faulty condition. Sorry, but if my new car doesn't start immediately, I see that as faulty.

So, I'll wait for it to happen again and let it crank for 10 seconds. No start - back to the dealer.

Quick Reply: Sticking starter issue