2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Steeda Upper Strut Mount Snapped

Search this Thread

Old 5/26/15, 09:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Holy smokes, glad they're taking care of it but those photos don't give me a warm fuzzy feeling.
Old 5/26/15, 09:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Wow, it would be good to see the explanation from Steeda on this!
Old 5/27/15, 02:58 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by 13gt/cs
As promised…here's a closer look at the damage to the strut. So far there's no damage that I can see to the HD strut mounts. Steeda shipped out new struts and HD strut mounts, should be here by Thursday.
Looks like it could have been heat treated too long. Just something to look into . Metal will break like glass if you make it too hard. Just my opinion...
Old 5/27/15, 09:11 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
A little Wednesday morning quarterbacking;

A) Viewing the broken end of the threaded part, from the outer surface of the shaft in to a depth of about .025” or so, the material is darker with a different fracture pattern. This suggests the shaft is case hardened which would not be uncommon in a part like this. The part needs to have a fairly hard outer surface and more flexible but very tough and resilient core to allow some movement without breaking as full hard material would. No way to visually determine what the shaft material is.

B) It broke predictably at the highest area of stress concentration (A larger corner radius between the two diameters would transition the load better).

C) While there is annular polishing in the unthreaded area of threaded part of the shaft (Nothing serious), at the point of the break it appears there may have been more severe rubbing (Hard to tell for sure from the picture). If this is true, it would have created a stress riser and an initiation point for a crack. Scoring, dents and dings on metal parts upset the grain structure deep into the material. Look for signs of rubbing on the lower part of the strut mount that would line up with that area. Make sure when you install your new parts nothing is rubbing.

D) The dark quarter moon shaped area between 3 and 5 o’clock on the broken end of the threaded part is either a) a spot where a crack had existed in the part for a while or b) a peened spot on the virgin broken surface where the lower part of the shaft contacted it post fracture. It’s hard to tell for sure from the picture but I’m leaning towards option b.

John
Old 5/27/15, 09:51 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 773 Likes on 565 Posts
Originally Posted by HizliBullet
, what if this happened on the freeway!!?!?! steeda could had a lawsuit on their hands!!!!
Nothing! The car would keep driving. He would have to get air born for anything to fall apart to where there would be a crash or major damage.
Old 5/27/15, 05:13 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Horspla

A) Viewing the broken end of the threaded part, from the outer surface of the shaft in to a depth of about .025” or so, the material is darker with a different fracture pattern. This suggests the shaft is case hardened which would not be uncommon in a part like this. The part needs to have a fairly hard outer surface and more flexible but very tough and resilient core to allow some movement without breaking as full hard material would. No way to visually determine what the shaft material is.

B) It broke predictably at the highest area of stress concentration (A larger corner radius between the two diameters would transition the load better).

C) While there is annular polishing in the unthreaded area of threaded part of the shaft (Nothing serious), at the point of the break it appears there may have been more severe rubbing (Hard to tell for sure from the picture). If this is true, it would have created a stress riser and an initiation point for a crack. Scoring, dents and dings on metal parts upset the grain structure deep into the material. Look for signs of rubbing on the lower part of the strut mount that would line up with that area. Make sure when you install your new parts nothing is rubbing.

D) The dark quarter moon shaped area between 3 and 5 o’clock on the broken end of the threaded part is either a) a spot where a crack had existed in the part for a while or b) a peened spot on the virgin broken surface where the lower part of the shaft contacted it post fracture. It’s hard to tell for sure from the picture but I’m leaning towards option b.

John
Wow! Next time a snap a bolt I know who to send it to for a full analysis on what went wrong! ... Check your mail box for random bolts I will be sending your way..😀
Old 5/27/15, 06:52 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
Hello,

Once we have received the part back & we do our analysis ... then we will have a better understanding of what took place.

We appreciate your patience & support in this matter ... once our investigation has concluded, then we will know more.

Best Regards,

TJ

Last edited by tj@steeda; 5/27/15 at 06:57 PM.
Old 5/27/15, 06:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Too funny! I did failure analysis for ten years and learned a lot from some pretty sharp material engineers. They're the smart guys...I just picked up enough to be dangerous!

John
Old 5/27/15, 07:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

...and for what its worth, I have Steeda dampers, springs, HD strut mounts and adjustable panhard bar and could not be happier!

John
Old 5/27/15, 07:37 PM
GT Member

...and for what its worth, I have Steeda dampers, springs, HD strut mounts and adjustable panhard bar and could not be happier!

John
Looking to do the same thing with my 2013GT prob not untill next year though. Prob go with Steeda I like there all inclusive handling kits they offer.
Old 5/27/15, 08:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Kestral
Looking to do the same thing with my 2013GT prob not untill next year though. Prob go with Steeda I like there all inclusive handling kits they offer.
Try to get them on the black friday sale, if you can. Save some coin!
Old 5/27/15, 08:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Had this same thing happen to me on a brand new strut and spring package pre-assembled by a supplier. NOT STEEDA!!!! I think mine was cause by lateral stresses on the strut rod during installation. Your pothole comment could be the the root cause if it was big enough. May want to check the rest of the suspension for play....

Who installed yours? You or a shop?
Old 5/29/15, 02:17 PM

I don't trust to many people with my car so I do all my own installs, the car is 3 years old with 8000 miles. I haven't hit any potholes, however, everyday I have to go over two large speed bumps in my neighborhood, (no way to get around them). Good news, the parts arrived from Steeda today! However, upon opening the boxes I noticed the spacers were missing, which need to be installed on 2011- 2014 mustangs. So I'm dead in the water again waiting another week for the spacers to show up.
Old 5/29/15, 03:18 PM

John
John,

I'm definitely no engineer, but would the height of the strut shaft make a difference with regards to developing a weak point? The Pro-Action Steeda Struts are made for 2005 - 2014 mustangs, however, if you have a 2011-2014 you have to use the supplied spacers to take up the extra lenght of the shaft. You have to use one spacer on top of the HD upper strut mount and one below. Again the spacers are only required for 2011 - 2014 mustangs.

I've noticed other suspension manufactures like Koni, makes a strut specifically for 2011 - 2014 and there is no extra space (non-threaded area) in the shaft.

This is just my 2 cents but I think Steeda should have made specific struts that were made for 2011 - 2014 that didn't require spacers.
Attached Thumbnails Steeda Upper Strut Mount Snapped-steeda-strut.jpg  
Old 5/29/15, 10:18 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Interesting! Hm....