2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Steeda CAI and SCT tuner

Search this Thread

Old 9/20/16, 04:10 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Steeda CAI and SCT tuner

Hey guys! I'm considering pulling the trigger on this but I wanted to get your opinion on the actual value. Is this worth $700+ for what I'm hoping to get out of it?

I'm looking for a better sound at idle and cruising speed, a higher "punch you in your seat" factor and power to the wheels. Seeing the dyno on steedas site is one thing but real world experience is what I'm looking for. Are the benefits worth the $700?

It will be going in a 2013 MCA Edition with the PP. thanks guys, looking forward to the replies.
Old 9/20/16, 04:34 AM

One more thing. I'm comparing the value of the CAI and tune for $700 to just a tune at $400. In my thinking the tuner is worth the $400, so I guess the real question is; is the CAI worth an additional $300 to our already impressive stock box?
Old 9/20/16, 05:18 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by RaceRedy13
One more thing. I'm comparing the value of the CAI and tune for $700 to just a tune at $400. In my thinking the tuner is worth the $400, so I guess the real question is; is the CAI worth an additional $300 to our already impressive stock box?
The Combo will always net you bigger gains & the CAI/Tuner is a great foundation for any Mustang - shoot me your contact info to tim@steeda.com.

I am happy to work with you on pricing or help answer any questions you may have.

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 9/20/16, 04:01 PM
V6 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Maybe not a direct comparison because I have a 07 auto GT. I got the SCT tuner first and ran their tune. I followed this up with a Steeda tune. I added the Steeda CAI last.

My impression:
SCT > stock
Steeda tune > SCT tune. More refined for sure if not faster. The SCT tune was abrupt taking off. The Steeda feels stock in that regard. I would like more low end but have 3.31's in an auto. Highway on ramps put a smile on my face definite chirp going into 3rd. Don't know about 4th. I am at my tolerance level for speeding tickets, reckless op etc. I do believe the exhaust is better with Steeda. My wife even commented on that.

Now the big question is the CAI worth it. A lot of reviews will say 90% tune 10% CAI. I would agree. Tune was a definite wow. Adding the CAI after having a tune installed did not deliver a wow factor. I am sure it adds something though.

Bottom line:
You will probably get the max benefit out of the package. If you are limited to $400 I would get the Steeda tune and tuner and not lose sleep over what the CAI might provide. However, Tj seems to want to work with you on price. There is a great likely hood you will pay more if and when you want to add the CAI later. Not to mention it looks slick and appears to be a quality piece. Again my opinion may be meaningless due to what my car is vs. yours. I don't know what other mods you have or will want and am not up on v-6's to know what is exactly on your car. Given it's a PP. I assume it's a manual. I think you have the 3.55 and probably some other gt stuff under there. Maybe the additional money is better spent on exhaust or LCA's or something. That is decision only you can make. Given the way I put my setup together I spent $640. This is recent I only got the car a month ago. Bang for the buck I should have just got the Steeda tuner and tunes kicked back with what I have and did more research. .
The following users liked this post:
RaceRedy13 (9/20/16)
Old 9/20/16, 04:54 PM

BH, your reply is exactly what I was looking for! Thank you! I spoke to a sales rep from Steeda and he really couldn't give me much info except that they sell the SCT tuner and a CAI, and sometimes they have sales. So I'm thinking I'm going to hold off and do more research.
I'm a brand loyalty guy. I don't like to get things because I want them, I buy the brand. So I've always liked Steeda but for right now I'm going to just sit back and research other options. They are fairly close, so I might just see if I can take a day and drive down there, see what they have and if they have a dyno or something there where I can test and tune kind of thing to ensure I get what I'm expecting.
I was hoping to be sold on both but after what I read and after talking to the sales rep, I think I'm leaning towards just a tune.
You had said you got a Steeda tune and not the SCT? I can't find a Steeda tuner, do they only make it for the V8?
Old 9/20/16, 05:11 PM
V6 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm sorry if it wasn't clear. I have a SCT tuner I bought off a local dealer. I added the Steeda Tunes for life after I already had the tuner. I guess what I meant was I would the SCT tuner from Steeda.
Old 9/20/16, 06:57 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I did a lot of research and it seemed like there was very little performance benefit to the cold air. Most of the improvement was the tune. I bought the cold air to dress up my engine bay a little and for the sound. If neither of those things matter, I'd just get the tune.