Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

SR Adj Panhardbar questions...

Search this Thread

Old 3/14/15, 05:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question SR Adj Panhardbar questions...

So I installed it and I got to admit the instructions were really unclear... First about the black crush washer had to call am for instructions on this... My bigest concerns are with the torque of 129lb... I mean the aluminum bushing are bending and the frame on the car and axle end is doing the same. Any thoughts? Their customer service is closed
Old 3/14/15, 05:41 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by GBStang13
So I installed it and I got to admit the instructions were really unclear..:

Were they in Chinese ?
Old 3/14/15, 05:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Indeed hahahaha anyhow I tried to torque to 129 lbft and rThr mount where the panhard bar mounts to frame and axle is bending... And not sure 129lb is true... The little aluminum bushings started compressing under load...
Attached Thumbnails SR Adj Panhardbar questions...-image.jpg  

Last edited by GBStang13; 3/14/15 at 06:29 PM.
Old 3/15/15, 06:47 AM
Bullitt Member

Anyone with this bar?
Old 3/15/15, 11:08 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
I can tell you that 129 Lb-Ft is correct on the bolts for the panhard to the attachments of the axle and the body. If it's bending, and you have a click-type torque wrench... I would suspect the torque wrench, honestly. Maybe go get a needle one to verify?

This one goes to 150.

Just as an example.

Other than that... well, you need to get to the 129 Lb-Ft or it'll be not-good(tm), so... I'd say let it flex, but believe me... it's going to be stressed doing its thing anyway, so if it can't handle 129 Lb-Ft of the torque... something's rather amiss.

I suspect the aluminum is supposed to compress a bit for the bearing to work right, so... I might be inclined to say "frack it" and torque that business down like they say.

If it gets messed up, you can point to this thread and say "I tried to find out, but..."

Good luck to ya, man.

Edit: Ah. Yes. Here's the pertinent info. From the install PDF from American Muscle...

6. We intentionally undersize our aluminum bushings because many customer' brackets are pinched from the factory. If it fits snug, insert the factory bolts and hand tighten. If it is not a snug fit, use a supplied washer between an aluminum bushing and bracket and hand tighten.
Yours is the 'not snug' one. I'm assuming given your description that you also used the supplied washer and it's not snug either?

Get on it. 129 Lb-Ft or else.

Alternatively, take the washer back out, and go to a auto parts or hardware store and get another one of the appropriate size and width... or maybe two if needed.

But me? HULK SMASH!!!.. er... TORQUE!

Let us know, man, but with that info, I'm going with "It's fine. Torque it."

Last edited by houtex; 3/15/15 at 11:25 AM.
Old 3/15/15, 11:23 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I seem to recall that 129 ft/lb was the specified torque when I installed my LCAs, and according to the factory manual, 129 is correct for the panhard as well.
Old 3/17/15, 08:40 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by houtex
I can tell you that 129 Lb-Ft is correct on the bolts for the panhard to the attachments of the axle and the body. If it's bending, and you have a click-type torque wrench... I would suspect the torque wrench, honestly. Maybe go get a needle one to verify?

This one goes to 150.

Just as an example.

Other than that... well, you need to get to the 129 Lb-Ft or it'll be not-good(tm), so... I'd say let it flex, but believe me... it's going to be stressed doing its thing anyway, so if it can't handle 129 Lb-Ft of the torque... something's rather amiss.

I suspect the aluminum is supposed to compress a bit for the bearing to work right, so... I might be inclined to say "frack it" and torque that business down like they say.

If it gets messed up, you can point to this thread and say "I tried to find out, but..."

Good luck to ya, man.

Edit: Ah. Yes. Here's the pertinent info. From the install PDF from American Muscle...

Yours is the 'not snug' one. I'm assuming given your description that you also used the supplied washer and it's not snug either?

Get on it. 129 Lb-Ft or else.

Alternatively, take the washer back out, and go to a auto parts or hardware store and get another one of the appropriate size and width... or maybe two if needed.

But me? HULK SMASH!!!.. er... TORQUE!

Let us know, man, but with that info, I'm going with "It's fine. Torque it."

I spoke to AM customer service rep and he I formed me to go ahead and submit my photos... I still think the aluminum washers are too tight...

As far as the ratchet you are right, it's the spring not the needle one. Not big fan of it either...

Here are some photos

Last edited by GBStang13; 3/17/15 at 08:43 AM.
Old 3/17/15, 08:44 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by GBStang13
I spoke to AM customer service rep and he I formed me to go ahead and submit my photos... I still think the aluminum washers are too tight...

As far as the ratchet you are right, it's the spring not the needle one. Not big fan of it either...

Here are some photos
Another notice the flex in the axle mount, and body mount?
Old 3/17/15, 09:20 AM
Bullitt Member

Btw it fits snug with mine AM might replace the arms and bushings... They also stated that 129lbft is an overkill since the new panhard bar has aluminum bushing va a steel sleeve...

Anyhow I'll keep you guys posted, I think I will buy that needle wrench....
Old 3/17/15, 10:50 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
I'd be worried about torquing an aluminum piece to the same specs as the steel piece.
Old 3/17/15, 09:40 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I think I might, at this point, exchange the SR piece for shoddy engineering and get a BMR, Steeda, or other such well designed piece. I mean... honestly. If you're worrying about an aluminum piece being crushed, what the heck are you expecting that thing to do when the stresses of an axle being pushed around come into play? Hm?

Torque it or get rid of it. It's going on a Mustang, if it can't handle it, it doesn't DESERVE to be on the car. And if it's causing the car to bend inappropriately the bracket to mount, same deal. I'm officially disappointed in the SR engineering and instructions if this is the result.

But that's just me, and I bought a BMR piece, if it matters.

Last edited by houtex; 3/17/15 at 09:41 PM.
Old 3/18/15, 04:00 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
This is why I don't buy "cheap" suspension parts. Do it right the first time. BMR is all I use on my car.
Old 3/18/15, 06:21 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
Or like the others said above ... Steeda is another great option for your suspension needs!

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 3/18/15, 07:51 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I think I might, at this point, exchange the SR piece for shoddy engineering and get a BMR, Steeda, or other such well designed piece. I mean... honestly. If you're worrying about an aluminum piece being crushed, what the heck are you expecting that thing to do when the stresses of an axle being pushed around come into play? Hm? Torque it or get rid of it. It's going on a Mustang, if it can't handle it, it doesn't DESERVE to be on the car. And if it's causing the car to bend inappropriately the bracket to mount, same deal. I'm officially disappointed in the SR engineering and instructions if this is the result. But that's just me, and I bought a BMR piece, if it matters.
^^^ this!!! How right you are !
This will prevent me from considering SR to use on my car (I only have BMR so far).
Old 3/18/15, 03:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by tom281
I'd be worried about torquing an aluminum piece to the same specs as the steel piece.
For sure my point!
Old 3/18/15, 03:10 PM
Bullitt Member

I think I might, at this point, exchange the SR piece for shoddy engineering and get a BMR, Steeda, or other such well designed piece. I mean... honestly. If you're worrying about an aluminum piece being crushed, what the heck are you expecting that thing to do when the stresses of an axle being pushed around come into play? Hm?

Torque it or get rid of it. It's going on a Mustang, if it can't handle it, it doesn't DESERVE to be on the car. And if it's causing the car to bend inappropriately the bracket to mount, same deal. I'm officially disappointed in the SR engineering and instructions if this is the result.

But that's just me, and I bought a BMR piece, if it matters.
Yes sir exactly my point!
Old 3/19/15, 08:46 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks to all your help guys! I said to heck with it, and returned the SR Bar. Ordered the BMR one! AM crew really took care of me!

Last edited by GBStang13; 3/19/15 at 08:50 AM.
Old 3/19/15, 09:12 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I like mine, the adjustment is much easier than the end versions of the SR one. Just be sure to grease up the bushings before you put them in the perches, and then grease up the zerks.

I used Mobil 1 Red in mine, and so far, none of the bushings (Panhard or LCA, also BMRs) are making any noise that I can sense and it's been... well, I don't know. A few thousand. Probably time to grease 'em up again, oil change is comin' soon.
Old 3/19/15, 09:23 AM
Bullitt Member

I like mine, the adjustment is much easier than the end versions of the SR one. Just be sure to grease up the bushings before you put them in the perches, and then grease up the zerks.

I used Mobil 1 Red in mine, and so far, none of the bushings (Panhard or LCA, also BMRs) are making any noise that I can sense and it's been... well, I don't know. A few thousand. Probably time to grease 'em up again, oil change is comin' soon.
Yeah I like how the adjustments are all easy to adjust. What you use to oil? Just grease or hose attached to nipple on the bar?

Last edited by GBStang13; 3/19/15 at 12:22 PM.
Old 3/19/15, 05:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I got a cartridge tube of the Mobil 1 Red, and then went and found a grease gun to stick it in.

You just use some on the ends before you stick the bar or LCA int the mounting locations, then you grease the zerks like normal, except using a full synthetic grease, because poly doesn't like the dino-oil grease.

The bar and the LCAs had the zerks on them already, so you just put the grease gun on them and pump them up about 4 times. All done!

The grease in tube.

The grease is red, see?

And a grease gun.

But an example of the gun, get what works. I would rather it be a bendy tube at the end and not the fixed pipe like that, but... either would in fact work.

I will admit there's more grease in that tube than I'll ever likely use, but... I have it, so there.

Last edited by houtex; 3/19/15 at 06:00 PM.

Quick Reply: SR Adj Panhardbar questions...