2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Squeak from Driver Side Rear Wheel Over Bumps

Old 8/13/15, 05:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Every time the rear driver side wheel hits a pothole, RR track, or road joint you can here a very pronounced squeak. What could this be? Of course I took it to the dealership and got the ford dealership line "Hurrr durrrrrr we don't hear anything." It's starting to annoy me and its getting loud to the point of being embarrassing.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 8/13/15, 07:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
More than likely it's the rear anti-sway bar bushings.
Old 8/14/15, 08:53 AM
Bullitt Member

How do you tell if one is bad?
Old 8/20/15, 12:42 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 387 Likes on 284 Posts
Mine did the same thing Dave. I took it to the dealer, and they said yep the bushings are bad. They replaced the entire sway bar, and all has been well. I don't know how they checked them, but I'm guessing if my service techs know how your's should also. Take 'er in, they probably already know what the problem is. My Service Writer said mine wasn't the first they had seen.
Old 8/20/15, 03:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by wanted33
Mine did the same thing Dave. I took it to the dealer, and they said yep the bushings are bad. They replaced the entire sway bar, and all has been well. I don't know how they checked them, but I'm guessing if my service techs know how your's should also. Take 'er in, they probably already know what the problem is. My Service Writer said mine wasn't the first they had seen.
Unfortunately, I already took it in for this issue. The dealer said they couldn't replicate and there is no issues Maybe if I can crawl under there and see if the bushing is cracked and take a picture I might get some dealer action?
Old 8/22/15, 10:48 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm getting the same thing aroun 55k on my car right now. I might just get a new sway bar now. with better bushings.
Old 8/23/15, 12:20 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by dave07
Unfortunately, I already took it in for this issue. The dealer said they couldn't replicate and there is no issues Maybe if I can crawl under there and see if the bushing is cracked and take a picture I might get some dealer action?
I had the same issue and the same response. They couldn't replicate it. I ended up putting whiteline sway bars on and the noise is gone. I hadn't planned on sways but I do love the difference in handling.
Old 8/23/15, 12:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Mr. V
I had the same issue and the same response. They couldn't replicate it. I ended up putting whiteline sway bars on and the noise is gone. I hadn't planned on sways but I do love the difference in handling.
I think my plan of action will be pressing down on the trunk area to see if I can replicate the sound. If it squeaks, I'll take it to the dealership and show them. If it doesn't speak when pressing down on the trunk area, I'll just spray the **** out of the bushing with silicone lubricant. I guess if all else fails then I might be getting sway bars haha.
Old 8/23/15, 04:39 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by dave07
I think my plan of action will be pressing down on the trunk area to see if I can replicate the sound. If it squeaks, I'll take it to the dealership and show them. If it doesn't speak when pressing down on the trunk area, I'll just spray the **** out of the bushing with silicone lubricant. I guess if all else fails then I might be getting sway bars haha.
Lol. That's how I ended up with sways. I hope your luck is better.
Old 8/23/15, 05:53 PM
GT Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
When does the squeaking mostly occur? When turning fast, turning slow, going up hill, all the time or?
Does it squeak when you hit the brakes?
Old 8/23/15, 06:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Phillip123
When does the squeaking mostly occur? When turning fast, turning slow, going up hill, all the time or?
Does it squeak when you hit the brakes?
Only when hitting potholes, and pavement joints at speed. Doesn't do it over speedbumps come to think of it.
Old 10/4/15, 02:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Update:

I noticed if I would hit the brakes over bumps, the noise would go away. I was starting to get rotational squeak in the last week as well. This led me to believe that the squeak was brake related. I expected to just lube up the caliper pins,possibly apply some anti squeak to the back of the brakes, or tighten something up. I was shocked to find this:

My outer rear pad on he driver side was basically worn down, almost to the metal. Does anyone know what would cause this? It was only one pad out of all 4 pads on the rear of the car that was like this. Oh yea, the squeak is gone to for now.

Last edited by dave07; 10/4/15 at 03:39 PM.
Old 10/4/15, 05:34 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Wow, that looks scary. Was it a squeak or more of a groan?

Every now and then I get a metallic groan from rear passenger side while turning right only. When I got my rear pads replaced I remember the mechanic was having a really hard time screwing the piston back in. I wonder if it doesn't retract all the way back, and the pad is dragging on the rotor.
Old 10/4/15, 06:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Mine was a more of squeak. Eet eet eet eet. And would increase with speed. My calipers screwed back in pretty easy. Maybe your caliper is shot? That's another thing why does ford use screw in calipers? Had to make another trip to the autoparts store for that!

Is your problem a wheel bearing?