Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Spark Plug Change - Forgot the Anti-Seize

Search this Thread

Old 8/18/16, 12:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
Kyle ! Read page 2 of the attached Ford TSB.. You'll notice where it says to use high temp nickel anti-seize on the ground electrode shield..

Just download the attached pdf file..
Except that is for the old 4.6 modular motor, which I don't have. Not sure that's relevant for me...
Old 8/18/16, 04:44 PM

Received 287 Likes on 210 Posts
As a professional Mercedes/BMW mechanic for 47 years, Not one plug that I put in, doesn't have anti seize on it. Too many problems seen with plugs getting stuck, or pulling out the threads, and on some of these cars, way too much work to get the Helicoil in. Use the anti seize!!
Old 8/18/16, 08:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by harleycharlie 1992
As a professional Mercedes/BMW mechanic for 47 years, Not one plug that I put in, doesn't have anti seize on it. Too many problems seen with plugs getting stuck, or pulling out the threads, and on some of these cars, way too much work to get the Helicoil in. Use the anti seize!!
Copper or Nickel?
Old 8/18/16, 09:03 PM

Received 287 Likes on 210 Posts
Originally Posted by kylerohde
Copper or Nickel?
the silver
Old 8/19/16, 10:22 AM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,957 Likes on 1,584 Posts
Except that is for the old 4.6 modular motor, which I don't have. Not sure that's relevant for me...
Yes, it is relevant.. The old 3v plugs have nickel plated shells, just as the 4v Coyote and yet Ford still recommended using Motorcraft high-temp nickel-anti seize on the ground electrode shields.. All that changed between the old 3v 4.6 plugs and the 4v Coyote plugs were the design.. Other than that, both are still made from the same material..

Therefore Ford wouldn't recommend using the nickel anti-seize, if there wasn't a good reason for it in the first place..

Copper or Nickel?
Nickel ! And the reason, the plugs have nickel plated shells/shields, not copper.. Also copper and nickel don't mix..
Old 8/20/16, 05:36 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Yes, it is relevant.. The old 3v plugs have nickel plated shells, just as the 4v Coyote and yet Ford still recommended using Motorcraft high-temp nickel-anti seize on the ground electrode shields.. All that changed between the old 3v 4.6 plugs and the 4v Coyote plugs were the design.. Other than that, both are still made from the same material..

Therefore Ford wouldn't recommend using the nickel anti-seize, if there wasn't a good reason for it in the first place..

Nickel ! And the reason, the plugs have nickel plated shells/shields, not copper.. Also copper and nickel don't mix..
Kyle never had the privilege of owning a 3V.
Old 8/20/16, 11:28 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by TheReaper
Nope. Was going to buy one before a sales guy let me test drive a 5.0 and it was all over from there!
Old 8/21/16, 09:03 PM

For the most part, the 3V had lots of potential and responded very well to mods.. However when compared with the design of the Coyote 4V, it falls way short in the PCV and spark plug categories..

What I didn't like about the 3V 4.6 was the dreaded 16mm high threaded 2 piece designed spark plugs that were known for breaking inside the head that required purchasing the Lisle extracting tool for removal which IMO is still a PITA..

I also wasn't thrilled with the 3V's PCV design that consisted of a baffled tube that was integrated into the cam cover and was non-removable.. IIRC if the metered valve inside the tube housing required replacement, according to Ford, they required having to replace the entire cam cover instead of just replacing a standard PCV valve like those on the previous 4.6 2V and 4V mod motors..

So from that point of view, I also couldn't make much sense as to what Ford was attempting to accomplish in the design dept lol.

That being said, at least Ford came back to their senses by re-designing the 3v heads along with going back to the traditional one piece 12mm spark plugs for the late 08-10 4.6 3v and also went back to the standard style PCV valve on the 11-current 5.0 4v Coyote..
Old 8/22/16, 11:09 AM
Cobra Member

I think the 3V is tougher than the Coyote and could take more tune abuse.
I trade my 07 at 42k miles so the plugs were never an issue.
Old 8/23/16, 04:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone got advice on what type plugs to use for a 2006 mustang 4.6 I got e3s in here now and runs like crap
Also how many pounds of torque you supposed to torque em
Old 8/23/16, 04:48 AM

Anyone got advice on what type plugs to use for a 2006 mustang 4.6 I got e3s in here now and runs like crap
Old 8/23/16, 11:37 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by erictutchton40@gmail.com
The stock Motorcrafts are just fine unless you have mods that would necessitate changing. As for the torque, not sure on the 4.6 but the 5.0 is 124 INCH pounds (not foot pounds).
Old 8/23/16, 11:57 AM

Ford recommends 24ft lb torque for the 4.6 3v plugs !
Old 8/23/16, 12:12 PM

I think the 3V is tougher than the Coyote and could take more tune abuse.
I trade my 07 at 42k miles so the plugs were never an issue.
So which engine do you prefer, the 3v or Coyote ? I see that you traded in your 07 3v for your current 14 which has the 5.0 Coyote.. Therefore in your opinion if the 3V is tougher and can take more tune abuse over the Coyote, then why not just upgrade to the re-designed 3v heads that use standard 12mm spark plugs that Ford came out with for the late 08-10 4.6 3V models
Old 8/23/16, 12:49 PM

My 2006 mustang ran like a top until I put msd coils on it and then started stalling I did a top engine clean on it the car and it stop stalling but has not ran the same since I even put factory coils back on and still downtown run right when I pulled the plugs they were all carboned up and looked like they been through hell only have had 400 miles on them that why I put e3s in the car and it helped when I first started the car up and drove off but when I started going down the road car started going back to the same way I have never had a problem like this sound like a carbon issue I have no idea what is going on

Last edited by erictutchton40@gmail.com; 8/23/16 at 12:51 PM.
Old 8/23/16, 05:15 PM
Cobra Member

So which engine do you prefer, the 3v or Coyote ? I see that you traded in your 07 3v for your current 14 which has the 5.0 Coyote.. Therefore in your opinion if the 3V is tougher and can take more tune abuse over the Coyote, then why not just upgrade to the re-designed 3v heads that use standard 12mm spark plugs that Ford came out with for the late 08-10 4.6 3V models
I'm on my 2nd Coyote I traded my 07 for a 2011. The Coyote is a very good
engine and responds to mods well but it just seems more delicate than the 3v to me. No more 3v for me the Voodoo will be my next purchase.

Last edited by TheReaper; 8/24/16 at 12:34 PM.
Old 8/23/16, 05:19 PM
Cobra Member

My 2006 mustang ran like a top until I put msd coils on it and then started stalling I did a top engine clean on it the car and it stop stalling but has not ran the same since I even put factory coils back on and still downtown run right when I pulled the plugs they were all carboned up and looked like they been through hell only have had 400 miles on them that why I put e3s in the car and it helped when I first started the car up and drove off but when I started going down the road car started going back to the same way I have never had a problem like this sound like a carbon issue I have no idea what is going on

Is your car tuned?
Old 8/24/16, 10:46 AM

If your plugs are all carbon up as you mentioned, IMO it would appear that your air/fuel mixture is too rich.. Have you been experiencing any check engine lights or getting any codes ? I'd recommend having your air/fuel and spark parameters checked out and also have your 02 sensors looked at as well..

I'm on my 2nd Coyote I traded my 07 for a 2011. The Coyote is a very good
engine and responses to mods well but it just seems more delicate than the 3v to me. No more 3v for me the Voodoo will be my next purchase.
Other than the plug design issues, I've been very pleased with both the reliability and performance from the 4.6 3v and don't have any other complaints..
Old 1/4/17, 11:34 AM
V6 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey guys, Great info in this thread, plan on doing my plugs this weekend. Noticed most said nickel anti-seize and not copper. What I have at my house is this stuff. Will it work with a little dab on the spark plug? 2010 gt with 37k miles on it. Figured i do them now to get it out of the way.

It's aluminium anti-seize. Got it to use on lugs, and various other things. will this work for the spark plugs as well? Thank you in advance.
Old 1/4/17, 12:38 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Aluminum anti seize is rated at 1400ish degrees F. Nickel anti seize is at 2500ish F.

My opinion is do not use anything else, get the Nickel stuff. You are, after all, literally playing with fire. Best to not mess with things for convenience sake... my thoughts.

Quick Reply: Spark Plug Change - Forgot the Anti-Seize