Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Spark Plug Change - Forgot the Anti-Seize

Search this Thread

Old 8/15/16, 03:46 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Spark Plug Change - Forgot the Anti-Seize

So with my car at 103,000 miles, I figured it was finally time to change the spark plugs for the 1st time, though it was still getting stellar mileage and not having any stumbling, misfiring, etc. - totally preventative maintenance.

Here's how the plugs looked when they came out:

The job was surprisingly easy, having never done plugs before (only car I ever had to do it on had sideways-mounted V6 so I paid to have it done) and I had it all done in <2 hours. However, while I remembered the di-electric grease for the ignition coils, I didn't remember the copper anti-seize compound.

So my question is: how bad will those be to get out when I hit 200K and is it worth going back and redoing the job? Considering it'll probably take me 60 minutes max, I'm guessing yes but wanted to see what anybody thought.
Old 8/15/16, 03:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
I would go back and do it. With every heat cycle those go through they will be getting harder and harder to take out.

It may be overly catious to do so, but it will be quick and easy to pop them out and back in again
Old 8/15/16, 03:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
It's not a 4.6 where the spark plug's gonna crumble and seize into the head but, I'd take 'em out and do it right when you are looking at high mileages between changes. It only takes one to get stuck and your life's a living hell.
Old 8/15/16, 07:52 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
I'd pull them and add the anti seize for the peace of mind.
Old 8/15/16, 09:52 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 5LHO
It's not a 4.6 where the spark plug's gonna crumble and seize into the head but, I'd take 'em out and do it right when you are looking at high mileages between changes. It only takes one to get stuck and your life's a living hell.
Originally Posted by SplitSecond
I would go back and do it. With every heat cycle those go through they will be getting harder and harder to take out.

It may be overly catious to do so, but it will be quick and easy to pop them out and back in again
Originally Posted by SpectreH
I'd pull them and add the anti seize for the peace of mind.
All right, you guys convinced me. Will do it over again!
Old 8/16/16, 05:14 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
That's why auto parts stores sell the $1 packets of anti seize at the checkout. I've been using anti seize on my plugs since 1969. My first car was a VW bug
Old 8/16/16, 09:57 AM

Received 287 Likes on 210 Posts
chalk it up to needing the practice!!
Old 8/16/16, 10:04 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by David Young
That's why auto parts stores sell the $1 packets of anti seize at the checkout. I've been using anti seize on my plugs since 1969. My first car was a VW bug
Originally Posted by harleycharlie 1992
chalk it up to needing the practice!!
Both excellent points.
Old 8/16/16, 12:07 PM
GT Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Just an FYI, I had mine in for a rare trip to the dealer...needed an emissions test and the driver airbag recall, so I went ahead and let them do the plugs. Set me back $80 for the plugs and $150 for the labor...so you saved yourself some decent $ and have the satisfaction of doing the work yourself.

I can live with it, as I have 5 cars I do the majority of work on. Two girls in college, wife runs a courier route, etc. Sometimes I just have to write the check or I'd spend all my time in a the garage.
Old 8/16/16, 01:26 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Kyle - you rookie you! Were you worried about KC Bbq while you were doing these plugs so that's why you forgot?

But yeah, pop those out and get that anti-s added. I would say maybe you'll sell it or trade it before your next plug change, so then just have it be the issue of the next owner. But........ if you ever had to remove your plugs between now and then, for whatever reason, that will be a PITA for you.
Old 8/16/16, 07:22 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Originally Posted by kylerohde
...I didn't remember the copper anti-seize compound.
That is good, because copper and aluminum do not work together well, potential for reaction and messing up those threads.

Nickel anti-seize is what you're after, good sir.

Last edited by houtex; 8/16/16 at 07:24 PM.
Old 8/16/16, 08:31 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by houtex
That is good, because copper and aluminum do not work together well, potential for reaction and messing up those threads.

Whoa. Glad you told me that - I had copper ready to go. Thank you!
Old 8/16/16, 09:26 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by houtex

Whew that was close. I was reading through the thread about to chime in on no copper and you beat me to it.

Good catch!
Old 8/17/16, 08:14 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
http://www.designnews.com/author.asp...&doc_id=236529

https://www.antiseize.com/PDFs/how-t...-antiseize.pdf

http://www.impomag.com/article/2013/...lue-anti-seize

FWIW...nothing at all wrong with copper on plug threads in aluminum heads...have used it for years and never had an issue.

Happy reading.

John
Old 8/17/16, 08:16 AM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by SplitSecond

I agree. Go back. If they stick in an aluminum head you will have much bigger issues.
Old 8/17/16, 01:26 PM
GT Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm going to go against the grain of the pack here. While anti-seize would probably not hurt anything, it likely isn't necessary since those Motorcraft plugs have a nickel plated shell. In effect, this would do the same thing thing as nickel anti-seize as far as preventing galvanic corrosion. There's a lot of spark plug manufacturers that recommend against using anti-seize for that reason.
Old 8/17/16, 02:42 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,964 Likes on 1,589 Posts
FYI ! Ford recommends using nickel anti-seize in it's TSB spark plug removal procedure.. However the TSB addresses the high thread 16mm 2 piece design plugs that were known for separating inside the 2005-early 08 3v heads..

I'm also certain the 3v plugs also had nickel plated shells as well, but never the less it wasn't enough to prevent galvanic corrosion from causing them to separate inside the heads..

As for the standard one piece 12mm plugs used in the re-designed late 08-10 3v heads and 11-14 Coyote 4v heads, IIRC I believe that Ford still recommends using nickel anti-seize to help prevent galvanic corrosion

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 8/17/16 at 02:44 PM.
Old 8/17/16, 10:35 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by NacsMXer
I'm going to go against the grain of the pack here. While anti-seize would probably not hurt anything, it likely isn't necessary since those Motorcraft plugs have a nickel plated shell. In effect, this would do the same thing thing as nickel anti-seize as far as preventing galvanic corrosion. There's a lot of spark plug manufacturers that recommend against using anti-seize for that reason.
Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
FYI ! Ford recommends using nickel anti-seize in it's TSB spark plug removal procedure.. However the TSB addresses the high thread 16mm 2 piece design plugs that were known for separating inside the 2005-early 08 3v heads..

I'm also certain the 3v plugs also had nickel plated shells as well, but never the less it wasn't enough to prevent galvanic corrosion from causing them to separate inside the heads..

As for the standard one piece 12mm plugs used in the re-designed late 08-10 3v heads and 11-14 Coyote 4v heads, IIRC I believe that Ford still recommends using nickel anti-seize to help prevent galvanic corrosion
You guys have got me curious now. The Ford-issued workshop manual says nothing about anti-seize (http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=878&viewfile=Spark%20Plugs.pdf), while it does mention needing the dielectric grease on the ignition coils. That makes me think anti-seize isn't needed though it's weird they wouldn't actually say that in writing to remove the confusion for techs that are very used to anti-seize on plugs.

FWIW, the Haynes manual for our cars does suggest anti-seize but doesn't say whether nickel or copper should be used.
Old 8/18/16, 11:27 AM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,964 Likes on 1,589 Posts
Kyle ! Read page 2 of the attached Ford TSB.. You'll notice where it says to use high temp nickel anti-seize on the ground electrode shield..

Just download the attached pdf file..
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
DownloadPdf.pdf (310.1 KB, 313 views)
Old 8/18/16, 11:59 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
Whew that was close. I was reading through the thread about to chime in on no copper and you beat me to it.

Good catch!
Ditto!! Very good catch.

Quick Reply: Spark Plug Change - Forgot the Anti-Seize