Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Slightly bent axle (?) & repairs

Search this Thread

Old 11/10/14, 03:15 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
Slightly bent axle (?) & repairs

I've been dealing with overheating rear brakes all season, and a squeaking rear right brake driving around town. It seems to rub once per revolution, sometimes worse than others, and has been hanging up.

Finally put the car on jack stands and put it in drive and the right rear wheel seems to have about 5 or 6mm runout, which I assume is quite a bit more than it should be.

Assuming I'm right, I want to see if they'll do a full rear axle change, and specifically swap my 3.73's for 3.55's. I need the taller gears due to the shorter tires (275/35/18) that I run at the track and the tracks that I run at. Specifically at Watkins Glen, with the current tires and gearing, I'll be on redline in 5th exiting turn 4 and then have a 1/4 mile straight where I will be on the limiter (since 6th gear is not useful at the track). So 3.55's would be perfect there and in various other scenarios.

That said, I have a question abuot the TORSEN diff that I have... would that easily swap over to a new rear axle assembly? Is this even worth asking about at the dealer? I'd be willing to pay a bit extra for this if it's possible...

Perhaps Deysha or current rep could chime in? I'd appreciate help!!

Also I put the car in for a weeping front right brake caliper (Brembo). Unfortunately, it only weeps when very hot, which is not reproducable easily... so not expecting any resolution there...
Old 11/10/14, 06:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Cannot answer about the Torsen... Would assume it is like any other diff though. But about the caliper I suggest taking a photo or short video when it happens. Then you can show it to the advisor when you take it in. Probably just needs a new banjo washer... I assume the brembo calipers use those.
Old 11/10/14, 06:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
And I am sure you checked... But it is not a slightly bent wheel correct?
Old 11/10/14, 07:32 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Sorry to hear about your issues, that doesn't sound good!

Wow, a bent axle? Could it be a bent halfshaft? It's a bit tough to imagine, but I'm no expert.

As for weeping caliper, a Boss 302 car at my last event had it too. He seemed to think it's pretty common and not a big deal as long as it only happens after a track session.

Best of luck with the resolution to both your issues.

P.S. With your much shorter tires you're probably pushing your final drive ration closer to 3.9x. Sounds like you run out of 5th near ~135 or 140. But if you have another 1/4 mile why not shift into 6th and maintain current speed at much lower RPM? I know you won't be able to accelerate, but is that not a better option than riding redline in 5th?

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 11/10/14 at 07:40 PM.
Old 11/10/14, 08:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bent halfshaft?
Old 11/10/14, 08:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 88lx50
Bent halfshaft?
At least the end that attaches to the wheel?? I know it's a bit of creative fiction, but I'm having a hard time imagining bending a live rear axle without some major trauma.

EDIT: My bad. When you say axles you mean the part which attaches the wheel to the diff, not the housing which contains the spindle (axle) shafts and diff. I was thinking the entire live rear end. Sorry, I'm an idiot

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 11/10/14 at 08:16 PM.
Old 11/11/14, 04:28 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by 14Glassback
And I am sure you checked... But it is not a slightly bent wheel correct?
Definitely not the wheel... I have 3 sets of wheels, and the OEMs get rotated regularly. Same issue regardless of what wheel is on the back. But good question
Old 11/11/14, 04:34 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
Sorry to hear about your issues, that doesn't sound good!

Wow, a bent axle? Could it be a bent halfshaft? It's a bit tough to imagine, but I'm no expert.

As for weeping caliper, a Boss 302 car at my last event had it too. He seemed to think it's pretty common and not a big deal as long as it only happens after a track session.

Best of luck with the resolution to both your issues.

P.S. With your much shorter tires you're probably pushing your final drive ration closer to 3.9x. Sounds like you run out of 5th near ~135 or 140. But if you have another 1/4 mile why not shift into 6th and maintain current speed at much lower RPM? I know you won't be able to accelerate, but is that not a better option than riding redline in 5th?
Yeah I won't actually ride redline down the straight... and yeah, I agree I'm probably closer to a 3.8x or 3.9x ratio now. Always something with tracking the car... hopefully I can work something out with 3.55's

I probably have a slightly bend half shaft? They started looking at the car today.

The weeping is really annoying cause I can tell when it starts cause I start getting a softer pedal. It's in combo with the rear brake issues (cause I keep cooking pads in the rear, I think because of the axle issues...)

Should have some feedback tomororw on both issues. Interested to see what the dealership says.

On an upside, they know me and my car (I called, said my name, and instantly the guy was like OH yeah, the blue Mustang!!) Nice that some of the mechanics are real Mustang enthusiasts. Figure that should help with a detailed diagnostic
Old 11/11/14, 05:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Solid axles don't have half shafts. An IRS has half shafts
Old 11/11/14, 06:42 PM
Banned

Solid axles don't have half shafts. An IRS has half shafts
^ THIS. Yes, you're totally right. "Axle shaft" or just axle is the correct term for SRA. Sorry for the confusion, as I think I caused it.
Old 11/12/14, 09:09 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by dmichaels
I've been dealing with overheating rear brakes all season, and a squeaking rear right brake driving around town. It seems to rub once per revolution, sometimes worse than others, and has been hanging up.

Finally put the car on jack stands and put it in drive and the right rear wheel seems to have about 5 or 6mm runout, which I assume is quite a bit more than it should be.

Assuming I'm right, I want to see if they'll do a full rear axle change, and specifically swap my 3.73's for 3.55's. I need the taller gears due to the shorter tires (275/35/18) that I run at the track and the tracks that I run at. Specifically at Watkins Glen, with the current tires and gearing, I'll be on redline in 5th exiting turn 4 and then have a 1/4 mile straight where I will be on the limiter (since 6th gear is not useful at the track). So 3.55's would be perfect there and in various other scenarios.

That said, I have a question abuot the TORSEN diff that I have... would that easily swap over to a new rear axle assembly? Is this even worth asking about at the dealer? I'd be willing to pay a bit extra for this if it's possible...

Perhaps Deysha or current rep could chime in? I'd appreciate help!!

Also I put the car in for a weeping front right brake caliper (Brembo). Unfortunately, it only weeps when very hot, which is not reproducable easily... so not expecting any resolution there...
I’m not a tech or an engineer, so I’m not able to advise you on this, dmichaels. What has your Ford Dealer found/mentioned/stated regarding your concerns?

Deysha
Old 11/12/14, 10:02 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by FordService
I’m not a tech or an engineer, so I’m not able to advise you on this, dmichaels. What has your Ford Dealer found/mentioned/stated regarding your concerns?

Deysha
They are reviewing the car today. If it's something I need elevated thru ford I will reach out. Thanks
Old 11/13/14, 05:53 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Update: Dealership has confirmed a bent axle!

Ford is giving them a hard time about replacement though. Because it's "not common". I'm wondering now though if the axle had the bend ever since the day I picked up the car... When I got the car, it felt like the wheels were not balanced. I brought the car to the dealership 3 separate times within the first month or two, and they re-balanced, road tested, etc and never really resolved it. But no one thought to look at the axle back then. I have those records in the dealer system if Ford pushes back. That would annoy me a bit, as even now the car still feels like it has a slightly unbalanced wheel or two, but a bent axle would definitely explain that.

Last edited by dmichaels; 11/13/14 at 05:55 AM.
Old 11/13/14, 08:38 AM
Bullitt Member

I can't believe the stupid excuses Ford uses. I hope it's not common. Then they are building a **** product. An axle costs a few hundred bucks. For this Ford will hurt their reputation.

Last edited by 88lx50; 11/13/14 at 08:51 AM.
Old 11/13/14, 10:34 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

I can't believe the stupid excuses Ford uses. I hope it's not common. Then they are building a **** product. An axle costs a few hundred bucks. For this Ford will hurt their reputation.
In talking with the dealer, they expected it to be resolved this afternoon with Ford. There are no indications of owner abuse (which I'll verify if asked), and an axle is pretty hard to bend... hopefully it becomes a smooth resolution.
Old 11/13/14, 11:33 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
They are reviewing the car today. If it's something I need elevated thru ford I will reach out. Thanks
Update: Dealership has confirmed a bent axle!

Ford is giving them a hard time about replacement though. Because it's "not common". I'm wondering now though if the axle had the bend ever since the day I picked up the car... When I got the car, it felt like the wheels were not balanced. I brought the car to the dealership 3 separate times within the first month or two, and they re-balanced, road tested, etc and never really resolved it. But no one thought to look at the axle back then. I have those records in the dealer system if Ford pushes back. That would annoy me a bit, as even now the car still feels like it has a slightly unbalanced wheel or two, but a bent axle would definitely explain that.
Thank you for the info, dmichaels. Be sure to remind your dealer of your precious concerns as soon as possible. Let me know the outcome.

Deysha
Old 11/14/14, 07:36 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by FordService
Thank you for the info, dmichaels. Be sure to remind your dealer of your precious concerns as soon as possible. Let me know the outcome.

Deysha
Input from Ford was 'the axle is damaged and it will not be warrantied'

I noted to the dealership last night that I had brought the car in within days after picking up originally for vibration, and then brought it in two more times, but it sounds like Ford will not cover this.

It was involved in an accident a year ago with rear body damage, but when that was repaired, it drove no differently than before (drove perfectly except for the continued vibration that felt like an imbalanced wheel). I'll see if the dealership has any luck with Ford based on my early multiple complaints about vibration, which were never resolved, otherwise they will push me to attempt to claim it was damaged with the body panels last year and I'll have to state to insurance that the axle was missed at that point and they need to repair it.

I've never done anything while driving that could possibly bend the rear axle on the car.

Becoming a pain.
Old 11/14/14, 06:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I hate to hear this. Hopefully someone will get it fixed.

Wayne
Old 11/14/14, 07:33 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by 70monte
I hate to hear this. Hopefully someone will get it fixed.

Wayne
It will get fixed, I just do not want to foot the bill for what I still believe is an issue that has been with me since the day I picked up the car. Wish I had pushed harder with the dealer on the vibration I've always had. It's always been just small enough I've dealt with it but pushing the car harder the issue has made for braking issues which i won't turn a blind eye to

Plan B tomorrow... Was disappointed Ford disposition was "no warranty" despite my records of vibration issues
Old 11/15/14, 07:05 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I've dealt with this kind of thing twice with Ford and warranty work. The first time was with my radio screen issue that took me four months of basically fighting with Ford to get it fixed. Deysha helped me out on that one.

The latest one is with the paint issue under the hood of my car which I'm just going to let that one ride for awhile to see if the paint gets worse and then go from there.

I hate to say it but it seems like it's Ford's position that if they can blame it on something other than a defect, they are going to do so. I've read of many threads on various Ford forums of this type of issue of Ford denying warranty.

Even before I bought the Mustang, I kind of knew this was what was going on because on one of the Forums I frequent, a lot of people were having issues with Ford denying warranty issues on the Ford Super Duty and it's diesel engine and related components.

Good luck on getting this fixed.

Wayne

Quick Reply: Slightly bent axle (?) & repairs