Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Seeking Advice after Sever Service Blunder

Search this Thread

Old 9/16/14, 07:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your take. I already have the extended warranty, so I'm going to ask for 110K or 120K protection. I will ask for a letter of the type you mentioned. I would have thought the mechanic was the first set of eyes, the service writer the second. I guess a third set is needed at this dealership. I'm hoping that because I didn't track the car during this time, that it might be okay.
Old 9/16/14, 09:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Hope you get it resolved, OP. I think you are probably fine with 6 quarts, but hope you get some extra warranty.

I just did my 5k change yesterday (Brembo car but not track pack) and had a coupon for the Works service, which includes up to 5 quarts of oil. The printout says they did the works service and it has the generic 5 quarts description, but nowhere is it explicitly mentioned that they did 5 quarts or other. I was not charged more than the regular works price, but that doesn't necessarily mean they didn't put 6 in.

I checked my oil cold just a few minutes ago and it is to the top of the crosshatch part on the dipstick, which tells me it is full and that they put the correct amount in. But what is the correct amount for a non track pack car? 5? 6?
Old 9/16/14, 10:03 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by puma1552
Hope you get it resolved, OP. I think you are probably fine with 6 quarts, but hope you get some extra warranty. I just did my 5k change yesterday (Brembo car but not track pack) and had a coupon for the Works service, which includes up to 5 quarts of oil. The printout says they did the works service and it has the generic 5 quarts description, but nowhere is it explicitly mentioned that they did 5 quarts or other. I was not charged more than the regular works price, but that doesn't necessarily mean they didn't put 6 in. I checked my oil cold just a few minutes ago and it is to the top of the crosshatch part on the dipstick, which tells me it is full and that they put the correct amount in. But what is the correct amount for a non track pack car? 5? 6?
8 quarts for my 12 GTCS
My sixer would drink 6.5 quarts.
Old 9/16/14, 10:07 PM

According to the owner's manual, all 5.0s take 8 quarts. Those with the Track Pack take 5W-50 full synthetic, while those without take 5W-20 Synthetic Blend. If the dipstick says full, you're probably fine, but check your receipt to make sure they put in 8 quarts and not 6. If they put in six, you can join my class action suit (Ha!).
Old 9/21/14, 12:49 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 390 Likes on 287 Posts
Brian, I hate to hear these type stories. One takes their car to the dealer with the expectation that the service will be done correctly. I have been complacent in going behind the service tech and checking after an oil change. Your story has reminded me that I need to be more diligent. I hope there was no damage to your engine. Good luck.
Old 9/21/14, 10:34 PM

Thanks, Luther. Yes, read your receipts and check your fluids yourself to confirm what anyone has told you. I am still working with the dealership and Ford to arrive at a solution. I'll post how all this turns out for those that are curious and have offered advice.
Old 9/21/14, 10:35 PM
Bullitt Member

It seems there is some confusion about when to check your oil. I have been doing my own maintenance for 51 years and I have never heard of checking engine oil cold. I know the owners manual says "Check the oil before starting the engine" but I think they are really saying is "Check the oil level with the engine off". I have always checked engine oil at normal operating temperature after stopping the engine and waiting approx 5 to 10 minutes...no more. Your engine operates at temperature, not cold. I have never had an oil related issue with any gasoline engine using this method.

OP, I seriously doubt running 2 quarts low under normal driving conditions would have caused any damage, either now or in the future. And under normal driving conditions the weight would not concern me at all. People experiment with different weight oil all the time, both up and down the scale. Think of the thousands of incorrect oil changes across all vehicles makes done by incompetent oil change service centers, most owners don't even know what brand or weight oil was actually used. You were one of the savvy ones...good for you.

I think right now your awareness of noises and vibrations has been heightened by your bad experience. It happens to all of us. After my first free dealer oil change I swore I heard noises I hadn't heard before, and I wondered what the tech did to cause that noise? I know better..I drove the car on and off the lift and stood right there during the entire oil change, even counted cans of oil. Sometimes we just let our minds wonder too far. It's a machine, and it makes noises, has it's good and bad days, just like us.

I doubt Ford will do anything other than apologize but good luck and keep us informed.
Old 11/27/14, 02:14 PM

So, I finally have a resolution to this. After much pestering, several voice mails for the service and general managers, and frustration, the dealership finally extended my warranty. I already had 6/100K, and they extended it to 7 years / 125,000 miles Premium Protection. I have noticed no ill effects from the wrong oil, but how would I tell anyway? I am loving my car and being extra vigilant when I have my car serviced.