Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Sealing Body Panels

Search this Thread

Old 10/11/12, 12:04 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by JScottGT
The hem at the bottom of most Ford's are designed that way. It's. Called an "open hem" and it's done that way on purpose. It does not trap the moisture, allowing it to evaporate. Sealing that area will now make it more prone to rusting because the moisture cannot getting out. The black "plugs" at either end of the door do allow the water drain, but you will not hurt anything by removing them. They are more of a NVH plug blocking some air. The older cars you see with the bottoms of their doors rusting had traditional closed hems that trap moisture.

Follow the link below to see the Ford patent on the open hem.
http://www.google.com/patents/US7115322
Yep, great stuff - that pretty much seals it (pun intended ). Ford's not dumb enough to design something that is going to be overly prone to rust.
Old 10/11/12, 03:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Water WILL find it's way into the door. The more 'watertight/waterproof' you make it, the more likely that small amounts of water that do make it in will remain inside the door, doing what water does over time.
Old 10/14/12, 07:04 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Has anyone taken a look at a "rust belt"/northern 2005 Mustang that has seen a lot of winter mileage? They're old enough to start showing some rust if they were exceptionally prone to it...but I have yet to see a rusty one up here in CT.
Old 10/16/12, 09:54 PM

Today i come back to this forum and i want to say that its really nice and informative i appreciated you on this operating but today i have a question which is that What Web site can I find Ford Transit body panels if anyone know here than contact here back...
Old 10/16/12, 11:32 PM
GT Member

Almost asleep, browsing the forums on my phone, thought the thread was titled "Selling body parts." I have nothing to contribute and yes, that is all. Good night.
Old 10/17/12, 09:12 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by jhonson0
Today i come back to this forum and i want to say that its really nice and informative i appreciated you on this operating but today i have a question which is that What Web site can I find Ford Transit body panels if anyone know here than contact here back...
www.tryusingthegoogles.com

Old 10/17/12, 09:19 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by MRGTX
Old 10/17/12, 11:55 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by jhonson0
Or, even better yet, here's your answer: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Ford+Transit+Body+Panels
Old 10/20/12, 02:39 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Stevedotmil
Yeah pictures please. I want to do this before I send her to Germany.
You might want to google AR-190-1 before you ship your car. Germany has changed in the last few years, lots of restrictions on what you can and cannot have on your car.
Old 10/24/12, 12:05 PM
V6 Member

Another good thing to do that I have done over the years is to spray oil inside the doors and other panels and have even sprayed it on frames. If you cut it with a little kerosene you can use a spray bottle and the oil inside the doors really helps.
Old 1/31/15, 10:46 PM

Regarding water & dirt in the trunk area of later model S197's; Mine is an '07, V6. I live on a very dusty & sandy road. I usually do not use the AC unless absolutely needed. I noticed the interior loading up with dust-everywhere. Taking out the liners in the trunk, I saw lots of dirt in the quarter panel's on the interior side. In my case, I didn't realize I could have avoided some of it by driving with the windows up & pressurizing the interior via the AC. In the trunk are 3 one-way valves ( flapper valves). The air pressure in the outsides of the wheel wells, @ speed, will overpower the flappers in their boxes. I had 1/2 " of sand/gravel that had been saturated from road water, so this is happening on the highway, as well. I cleaned it up, but I am grateful for the info you guys have posted here! I have some insights, at least for my predicament, besides using the AC to get to the highway from my dirt road &; I am relieving the air pressure using vents thru the bumper cover in the lower sections. I added vents to the center, lower area of my Cal. Spec. rear bumper cover. ( This was way easy & a natural-I have noticed no dirt in the covered, rear area, incl. the one-way valve box located there). I will add 1 vent each close to the rear corners of each qtr. panel, @ the lower sides. I found some nice interior vents for heat/AC that will fit inconspicuously. I will seal the fuel filler tube better, as I have noticed dirt coming out of there during a car wash. Thanks for the 'water in the doors' heads up! I'll ck there too. I have had every panel off my car ckng & cleaning-this is a fact of life of having a nice car in Montana! On the one-way valves; I'm going to experiment by taking the 2 one-way valves out of the Qtr. Panels for now. The one in the back is up high, in the center, & not affected greatly by the air pressure as are the Qtr. Panel areas. I haven't seen any rust anywhere else. nor dirt build-up. So you know; the Qtr. Panel one-way boxes are accessible by removing the bumper cover screws at the front of it & popping the front sides out of the clips. The valves are in the 'Bumper Cover Bracket'. The valve boxes will pop out also, there are 4 clips to depress down & pull the box straight out. There is just enough room to do this without taking the bumper cover all the way off. Having cleaned the trunk out with soap & water, I will now have to catch up on the rest, meaning the interior-all of it- is next! But at least I know where it all the dirt came from, & where it went ! Cheers! I'll come back when I get some results-

Last edited by Makadidle; 1/31/15 at 10:50 PM.
Old 2/1/15, 07:51 AM
Bullitt Member

Those one-way flapper are known as air extractors. They serve a couple functions. One you already eluded to is for the HVAC system. When you are running the vents, it de-pressurizes the cabin and allows the air to flow out. When you set the HVAC to recirculate, the pressure is reversed, and these stay closed. The other purpose is for pressure relief when the doors are closed. They allow the spike in cabin pressure to vent so your doors close well. When they get clogged up it can cause some issues. It's a good idea to keep them clean, as well as the air path getting to them clear. Adding more air extractors may help some with what you are experiencing, but only when driving with the windows up and your vents set to non-recirc.