Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Removing Boss 302 Stripes

Search this Thread

Old 10/20/14, 10:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Removing Boss 302 Stripes

So I love my car but have been back and forth on the C-stripes for forever, it feels.

Yeah, they're "Boss" stripes but I don't need my 302 to pay homage to the Great 1969 Boss 302 anymore. It's a modern car in a modern age and I'll say firmly that it doesn't need stripes to still be a Boss. It isn't some sticker package from Ford, there's more to it.

That out of the way, my main question is what is the likelihood of the paint having faded enough to where the side still has a faint "C-Stripe."

I'm only talking about the sides, I like the hood vinyl and will keep it on.

Worst case, I'm out some money to buy new ones.

Thanks for your help!
Old 10/20/14, 10:13 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Your paint will be fine underneath. I'd leave them on though. Just my opinion
Old 10/20/14, 10:34 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Krohn
So I love my car but have been back and forth on the C-stripes for forever, it feels. Yeah, they're "Boss" stripes but I don't need my 302 to pay homage to the Great 1969 Boss 302 anymore. It's a modern car in a modern age and I'll say firmly that it doesn't need stripes to still be a Boss. It isn't some sticker package from Ford, there's more to it. That out of the way, my main question is what is the likelihood of the paint having faded enough to where the side still has a faint "C-Stripe." I'm only talking about the sides, I like the hood vinyl and will keep it on. Worst case, I'm out some money to buy new ones. Thanks for your help!
Did my comment stir you? Haha

I think it would actually be kinda cool if it has a ghost C-stripe. If I had a Kona 2012 Boss, I'd remove the white stuff and redo everything in gloss black so it's more subtle.
Old 10/20/14, 11:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
Did my comment stir you? Haha

I think it would actually be kinda cool if it has a ghost C-stripe. If I had a Kona 2012 Boss, I'd remove the white stuff and redo everything in gloss black so it's more subtle.
I swear I've been searching my latest posts and can't figure out what you're talking about. lol So, I'm going to guess no. lol

I just saw a picture of a Kona Blue Mustang and loved the look of no stripes and it got me thinking again.

I've seen the black stripes done a few times and am not that much of a fan even though it seems like a lot of people are.

I do love the attention it gets... but It still looks a little boy-racer-ish to me since the modern car theme is becoming more subtle. No more Screaming Chickens or Judges out there.

I've also thought about switching the C stripe for the Partial Hockey side stripe without the hood part.

Last edited by Krohn; 10/20/14 at 11:16 PM.
Old 10/21/14, 12:09 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I swear I've been searching my latest posts and can't figure out what you're talking about. lol So, I'm going to guess no. lol I just saw a picture of a Kona Blue Mustang and loved the look of no stripes and it got me thinking again. I've seen the black stripes done a few times and am not that much of a fan even though it seems like a lot of people are. I do love the attention it gets... but It still looks a little boy-racer-ish to me since the modern car theme is becoming more subtle. No more Screaming Chickens or Judges out there. I've also thought about switching the C stripe for the Partial Hockey side stripe without the hood part.
Haha it was one of the 2015 threads where we were talking about the Boss and how it's the benchmark for the 2015 handling. I thought you were on that thread too. I said I love the spirit of the Boss, but don't care for the stripes (in so many words). I mean, sometimes I do, and sometimes I don't. I prefer the Kona and Race Red Bosses naked. I prefer the white and yellow Bosses with stripes...
Old 10/21/14, 04:28 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The stripes separate it from the sea of boring cars on the road! The fact that it's a Mustang, and a Boss also does this, but the stripes are a design feature that look great on a Mustang/muscle car. Modern styled cars just copy luxury sedans and European sport cars. A mustang stands apart! I'd leave them on. If I had a 79 trans am it would most certainly have the chicken on the hood!

Last edited by Last1; 10/21/14 at 04:30 AM.
Old 10/21/14, 05:23 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I like the stripes and would leave them on. When I see a Boss, I smile and take notice. When I see the Boss stripe on a 5.0 or a 3.7, I shake my head because I wanted to smile when I first saw it.
Old 10/21/14, 05:45 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There should be no faded paint, you'll just have to clean the area well and then there should be no mark.
I'd keep the stripes though.......
Old 10/21/14, 05:49 AM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
I'm always on the lookout for other Mustangs when I'm on the road. But when I see a Shelby or a Boss, I bow in respect and awe. When compared with the Boss though, Shelbys are a much more common sight. Even a GT500 without stripes is recognizable as a Shelby. In my opinion, a naked Boss would look like any other S197 that's been modded with Boss bolt on exterior parts.

Would the Beatles have had the same impact in '64 without the mop tops? Would Las Vegas be Las Vegas without neon?
Old 10/21/14, 06:18 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
I swear I've been searching my latest posts and can't figure out what you're talking about. lol So, I'm going to guess no. lol I just saw a picture of a Kona Blue Mustang and loved the look of no stripes and it got me thinking again. I've seen the black stripes done a few times and am not that much of a fan even though it seems like a lot of people are. I do love the attention it gets... but It still looks a little boy-racer-ish to me since the modern car theme is becoming more subtle. No more Screaming Chickens or Judges out there. I've also thought about switching the C stripe for the Partial Hockey side stripe without the hood part.
Who's was it??? Can't be mine. I haven't posted pics in a while.
Old 10/21/14, 06:33 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5
Who's was it??? Can't be mine. I haven't posted pics in a while.
Well played sir, well played. lol

Yeah, what y'all have said is exactly what I'm on the fence about.

I love the subtle... but at the same time, I love stripes on a Mustang.

As Last1 referenced the chicken, it is true that the vinyls are part of it, just as much as the rest of the modifications.

Thanks shurtual86 for helping with my original question.
I think that is the main concern I have now... but I over-worry sometimes.

It's not like I can't stand the stripes or even really dislike them, I just miss the clean lines of my previous GT.

Y'all are tipping my scales towards leaving them, at least a little longer.

Not to mention, I don't think I'd like the Boss wheels without the stripes on a Kona Blue car.

Thanks for all y'all's input and help thus far! Everyone does have an opinion. lol
Old 10/21/14, 06:37 AM
FR500 Member

Owning a great car tells people that you've arrived.

When that car says Boss 302 on the sides, it tells them that you arrived first.
Old 10/21/14, 07:11 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Just my $.02. You know what the car is. Who cares what others think. If you don't like the stripes remove them. If you wanted to sell the car later on they can always be put back on. Unless you want the "hey look at me I drive a boss" factor it makes no difference.
Old 10/21/14, 07:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

So... is it bush league then to take of the C stripes and install the hockey stripe instead?
Old 10/21/14, 07:52 AM
Legacy TMS Member

If you're going to keep em, I'd have them painted on, along with the other vinyl. Then you can clear over the whit graphics and be able to detail the whole car with paint products. I'd also have the wheel centers painted white to match. I hate non matching accents. I don't get why Ford did a matte black spoiler and decklid, gloss black wheels and white stripes
Old 10/21/14, 08:12 AM
FR500 Member

I always liked the looks of the '12 nose; same goes for the C stripes over the '13 Boss stripes.
Old 10/21/14, 08:23 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
So... is it bush league then to take of the C stripes and install the hockey stripe instead?

Absolutely not (IMO )! I can't stand the stripes on the 2012 Boss (had a chance to buy an LS, and just couldn't get past the reverse C stripes), but I love the stripes on the 2013.

Most importantly, the only person who has to like the appearance is the owner of the car- so if he wants to change the stripes (or remove them completely) that's fine.
Old 10/21/14, 08:23 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
Sorry no intellectual input here regarding the fading, but I do think the car will look a lot cleaner without the stripes! I love the Boss, but the stripes can be a bit much. I'll look forward to the "after" pictures!!
Old 10/21/14, 09:16 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the stripes are becoming over-done. Just about every V6 I see on the road is loaded with stripes. Doesn't matter if it's a Camaro, Challenger, or Charger.

That said I do sort of miss the old way of displaying engine displacement in Cubic Inches, rather than liters.
Old 10/21/14, 09:37 AM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,621 Posts
I prefer the stripes and it has nothing to do with the 'hey look at me' approach. It is a car paying homage to a past model. No one would even think twice about removing the stripes off an original Boss! But there was the awesome I don't need no stinking stripes Boss 429! Either way the final verdict is up to you and it IS YOUR car so you keep it the way you want to! I.E. The OEM stripe pkg is very expensive! :-)

Quick Reply: Removing Boss 302 Stripes