Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Redid my PPF/Clearbra and Tint

Search this Thread

Old 7/21/16, 01:44 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Redid my PPF/Clearbra and Tint

As most of you already know, I'm a BIG believer in Paint Protective Film (PPF) or ClearBra as it's more commonly known. I've had PPF on all my cars since 2008, on my 2009 Nissan Z.

If you're reading this post/thread - more than likely, you're a car guy or more so a car "nut" like me. Let's face it, we invested in these cars, and we're proud of our cars. Why not protect them?

I wanted to share my jubilation stemming from last weekend. As it goes, the day I had my 3M film installed on Marilyn, I've been living with what I "thought" was an internal chip. Meaning - a rock hit my PPF shortly after I got the film installed and though it didn't "puncture" the film, the discoloration and the "feel" of the film surface made me believe that my paint beneath was CHIPPED!

So I've been living with that "chip" for almost 5 years. Along the way, obviously I had a few more nicks in the PPF that I thought were "chips" in the paint.

Fast forward to last week - my buddies from Wichita ClearBra (formerly from Iowa - hence why I know them) were going to be in town working some other jobs. They come up when there's enough volume. So, I JUMPED on the opportunity to have them REDO my PPF and TINT!!!

I am pleased - no, ELATED - to report that upon removal of the old 3M PPF - despite the Xpel obviously being far better - it still did its job. There were ZERO rock chips on the actual paint. My paint is still PERFECT underneath it. It was still factory fresh as it was from the day I brought her home in fall of 2011. How COOL is that?

So they installed the new Xpel film on the hood and fenders. Marilyn now has a perfect front end again. I'll have him redo the front bumper the next time I see him. But I am once again chip free! So for you car guys out there - get Clearbra'd!!! Xpel FTW.

I also had them redo the tint on Marilyn. It was 35 on the fronts and 20 on the rear and rear quarter. This time, I went all out with 20 on the fronts for a full 20 on the car.

I don't have any full glamour shots but just wanted to share some in process and post process shots of the car! Many thanks to Brandon of Wichita ClearBra. If you guys are near the area - be sure to look him up - he's on Facebook and IG too - same company name. Tell him Burton sent you

Here's some pics: These are all crappy iPhone shots, spur of the moment, so forgive the bad angles, bad lighting, bad editing, etc.... it was hot that day too. Ugh.

Starting the removal process

Nasty film removed!!!

Cleaning up the remaining adhesive goop (God bless the inventor of PLASTIC razor blades)

Removing and applying tint too

Starting the application of the new Xpel film

Voila! All done and pristine again!

Last edited by FromZto5; 7/21/16 at 03:32 PM.
Old 7/21/16, 02:45 PM
GT Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Looks awesome! Nice choice going to Xpel. Clear Bra FTW. The entire front end of my car is covered in Xpel Ultimate and it's the best thing ever for peace of mind.

The coolest part about it by far is the self-healing feature of it. Any swirl marks from wiping the car down, washing, etc. go away like magic with the application of heat. So just sitting in the sun, the heat of the engine, or pouring hot water over the area will make scratches disappear. So I don't have to be anywhere near as careful wiping down the clear bra'd areas of the car as I do on the virgin paint on the rest of the car.

The job looks like it came out great, enjoy!
Old 7/21/16, 03:07 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Love it. That stuff's got to cost what, $500 to do the front like you did though?
Old 7/21/16, 07:33 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by NacsMXer
Looks awesome! Nice choice going to Xpel. Clear Bra FTW. The entire front end of my car is covered in Xpel Ultimate and it's the best thing ever for peace of mind.

The coolest part about it by far is the self-healing feature of it. Any swirl marks from wiping the car down, washing, etc. go away like magic with the application of heat. So just sitting in the sun, the heat of the engine, or pouring hot water over the area will make scratches disappear. So I don't have to be anywhere near as careful wiping down the clear bra'd areas of the car as I do on the virgin paint on the rest of the car.

The job looks like it came out great, enjoy!
Thanks Nacs! Yes that's one of the great things about the self healing. Bug splatter I just wipe off immediately after parking, no worries about scratches. Then the sun heals it

Originally Posted by kylerohde
Love it. That stuff's got to cost what, $500 to do the front like you did though?
Thanks Kyle! Well it depends on the car, and the amount of coverage and of course who you know . But I'd say you're sorta in the ball park
Old 7/22/16, 05:57 AM
GT Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Looks great, thanks for posting your experience. I'm a believer, have had PPF on three cars so far...but have never had it removed/replaced. Been thinking about having my bumper redone, wasn't sure how well that would go. This gives me confidence that it should be a fairly painless process for the original installer, he knows his stuff.
Old 7/22/16, 06:07 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 537 Likes on 420 Posts
Burton, looks great, BUT

Your rotors are rusty !!!!!
I'm shocked you haven't painted the centers yet.

Name:  Burton_20160721b.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  236.6 KB

Old 7/22/16, 06:55 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by Dean Martin
Looks great, thanks for posting your experience. I'm a believer, have had PPF on three cars so far...but have never had it removed/replaced. Been thinking about having my bumper redone, wasn't sure how well that would go. This gives me confidence that it should be a fairly painless process for the original installer, he knows his stuff.
thanks Dean! Yes, it's pretty much painless - provided the installer is GOOD. It's all about the skill of the installer. He has to keep it dust/debris-free, stretch mark free, etc.... gotta be perfect.

There were a couple spots were some dust got underneath, but he will address them the next time he comes up.

Originally Posted by Gabe
Burton, looks great, BUT

Your rotors are rusty !!!!!
I'm shocked you haven't painted the centers yet.

LOL Gabe - always gotta be the bearer of bad news eh? lol. Oh yeah, it's rusty in there! I have never painted them - nor will I ever though. a) I just don't have the time anymore b) I'll get a new brake kit/rotors soon enough anyways. Meanwhile, it will look STOCK!
Old 7/22/16, 07:26 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5

LOL Gabe - always gotta be the bearer of bad news eh? lol. Oh yeah, it's rusty in there! I have never painted them - nor will I ever though. a) I just don't have the time anymore b) I'll get a new brake kit/rotors soon enough anyways. Meanwhile, it will look STOCK!
Mine look the same, LOL
Old 7/22/16, 10:53 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
Plus they make pre painted rotor hats so there ya go!

I'm going to have to look into this. My front end is filled with rock chips so I would have to get that repainted first and then get the Xpel on. You could barely see it.
Old 7/22/16, 12:20 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by ford20
Yup, that's when my rotors' hats will become black, when I replace them.
Old 7/22/16, 12:55 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by ford20

I'm going to have to look into this. My front end is filled with rock chips so I would have to get that repainted first and then get the Xpel on. You could barely see it.
Yes, that's the way to do it, Sean. Get it repainted first, then drive it home with blue painters tape - then don't drive it again until it gets Xpel'd. Voila
Old 7/22/16, 06:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Yes, that's the way to do it, Sean. Get it repainted first, then drive it home with blue painters tape - then don't drive it again until it gets Xpel'd. Voila
This might help too.

https://www.amazon.com/Road-Wrap-18-x-100/dp/B005UQKPIQ
Old 7/23/16, 07:16 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts
Most of the time I'd vote for no bra but when talking cars I'm a big believer. Had it on my 2000 GT and now on my 2014. It's nice driving around without worrying about every little rock hitting my car.
Old 7/23/16, 09:37 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts
Of course after I read this thread I find a tiny chip on my front bumper where the clear bra ends. LOL. It a tiny one so a bit of touch up paint and it should be invisible. I am finding chips on my stock rims though.
Old 7/23/16, 11:45 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Burton your car looks amazing. So that's what Kona is supposed to look like, lol!
Old 7/23/16, 12:01 PM
GT Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
+1 This was me on my way to the clear bra appointment 2 years ago. Car had like 20 miles on it so I wasn't messing around. I got some interesting looks on the road on the way down there haha. It's that two tone DIB/Grabber Blue option, so fresh!

Old 7/23/16, 12:19 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,199 Posts
Looks killer Burton! Xpel is great stuff.
The general manager at work is thinking about getting it done to his Porsche. The whole front end and 18 inches up the hood. HUGE money! lol Almost 1,500 bucks! lol
Old 7/25/16, 07:48 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by berzerk_1980
Yep, I have heard/read of that stuff. I just never had the need for it since all my vehicles have had Xpel/PPF on them since new.

Originally Posted by VidPro
Most of the time I'd vote for no bra but when talking cars I'm a big believer. Had it on my 2000 GT and now on my 2014. It's nice driving around without worrying about every little rock hitting my car.
Originally Posted by VidPro
Of course after I read this thread I find a tiny chip on my front bumper where the clear bra ends. LOL. It a tiny one so a bit of touch up paint and it should be invisible. I am finding chips on my stock rims though.
Yes! It's actually more invisible if you do the WHOLE hood, versus partial. Aside from cost, I purposely choose partial because I love my paint - and touching it and detailing it and polishing it and buffing it and etc etc. LOL. I know you can do the same with Xpel/PPF, i.e. treat it like any other paint surface. Still, I prefer paint itself

Originally Posted by Thomas S
Burton your car looks amazing. So that's what Kona is supposed to look like, lol!
Thomas! Thanks buddy! KONA FTW! Yes, gotta protect that 5 year old Kona paint! There's a guy here at work, same exact car as mine, year, color, options, etc. He drives it everyday. Nothing against him, as he gets to enjoy the pony daily. But I tell you what, he drives it everyday and his PAINT looks like it's driven everyday.

Originally Posted by NacsMXer
+1 This was me on my way to the clear bra appointment 2 years ago. Car had like 20 miles on it so I wasn't messing around. I got some interesting looks on the road on the way down there haha. It's that two tone DIB/Grabber Blue option, so fresh!

Yes sir! That's what I do whenever I drive my cars home from the dealer! (unless I get it Xpel'd at the dealer - usually my sources/buddies do it for FAR cheaper). It's the only way to go.

Yesterday, I saw a Pontiac GTO (I think circa 2005) on the highway with blue tape on. So, perhaps he had perfect paint too???

Originally Posted by Stage_3
Looks killer Burton! Xpel is great stuff.
The general manager at work is thinking about getting it done to his Porsche. The whole front end and 18 inches up the hood. HUGE money! lol Almost 1,500 bucks! lol
Thanks Tony! Oh yeah, perfection ain't cheap. Like I said though, all depends who you know and how good you are at wheelin' and dealin'. Speaking of which Tony - does your 3000 mile Green Goblin have Xpel?!?!?!?!?!?! If not, any chips???