Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Rear end noise after driving 5 miles off the ford lot...

Search this Thread

Old 3/26/15, 11:38 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 88lx50
Your tire is definitely rubbing on something. I say avoid yourself a headache with the deale and stick your head under there and poke around.
Thats initially what I thought it was, but the longer it goes the more it sounds like gear chatter to me or worn out clutch discs.
Old 3/27/15, 12:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Turbo302
If it is only when turning left and right, I would bet it's the LSD clutches. Drain and refill with Synthetic Lube and Ford Friction Modifier. Worse case have them put new clutches in the diff. It's not a hard procedure as I have rebuilt 100's of 8.8's.

I am very disappointed in Ford rear axles as of late. I have owned so many Ford vehicles with 8.8's over the years from Mustangs, Explorers etc... I own an independent auto repair shop and have setup may rear end gears.

I feel like when Ford switched gear ratios (and possibly suppliers) from 3.08, 3.27 ratios to the newer 3.15, 3.31 they became much more problematic. I know when Ford Racing switched suppliers of their 3.73, 4.10's for a while had many noise issues.

My 2014 GT started making decell gear noise from 50-35ish mph with only 900 miles. I now have 2000 miles and is about the same.

I fear bringing it in to Ford as I feel like it's few and far between to have a skilled/dedicated driveline tech at these modern dealers.

I mine continues, I may check the backlash numbers and read the pattern with some marking compound and adjust. If that doesn't do it, I'll swap my 3.15 gears for some 3.27's of the old variety.

I'm just a bit pissed, as this is my first new car and as a mechanic, I bought this thing new so I wouldn't have to be working on it...as they say, if you want something done right, you got to do it yourself!
Sounds very much like the LSD clutches to me as well. I'd pull the cover for a quick peek to check for signs of excess wear or damage to them. If all is good. Refill with good synthetic oil and go from there.

John
Old 3/27/15, 01:25 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Holy cow. I just listened to the video. You just bought this car a few days and now it sounds like this? I would turn right around and return that car. Isn't there a used car law that allows you to return the vehicle within a number of days if not completely satisfied?

I find it hard to believe that the dealership did NOT know about this sound/issue while they had it on the lot. Are they leading you to believe that the day you bought it was the ONLY and FIRST time this symptom happened????? I call BS. Return that car, get your money back, and leave that dealership as quickly as possible.

No "healthy" mustang should EVER sound like that.
Old 3/27/15, 01:33 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Another example of why I would never buy a used muscle car...unless i knew the person who owned it and how they treated it....
Old 3/27/15, 01:46 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by JCStang
Another example of why I would never buy a used muscle car...unless i knew the person who owned it and how they treated it....
Would you buy mine, Jeff? Didn't you buy an exhaust or a strut bar off of me already?
Old 3/27/15, 02:06 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5
Would you buy mine, Jeff? Didn't you buy an exhaust or a strut bar off of me already?
No, must have been someone else...though at one point I was interested in your stock wheels....
Old 3/27/15, 02:44 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by JCStang
No, must have been someone else...though at one point I was interested in your stock wheels....
Ah I see... ok.

Still, you didn't answer the question. Would you buy mine?
Old 3/27/15, 06:53 PM
V6 Member

Lol jeez... Well update. The dealership never drove the car long enough to warm up the rear end to be able to hear that. It's totally normal from a cold start. The manager scheduled me in for service on Monday, got me a loaner and assured me they intend to make it right. So fingers crossed... I'll keep you guys posted
Old 3/27/15, 07:12 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by bluestang2187
Lol jeez... Well update. The dealership never drove the car long enough to warm up the rear end to be able to hear that. It's totally normal from a cold start. The manager scheduled me in for service on Monday, got me a loaner and assured me they intend to make it right. So fingers crossed... I'll keep you guys posted
Good. I hope it gets all fixed.

But no, that is NOT "totally normal from a cold start". I hope you're not actually believing them when they say that.
Old 3/27/15, 07:31 PM
Cobra Member

Ah I see... ok.

Still, you didn't answer the question. Would you buy mine?
Of course....you are as neurotic as i am when it comes to your car....
Old 3/28/15, 09:00 AM
V6 Member

Good. I hope it gets all fixed.

But no, that is NOT "totally normal from a cold start". I hope you're not actually believing them when they say that.
Sorry, What I meant to say is that there aren't any noises when I first start up the car, and begin driving around. The car sounds totally normal like it should sound. Only once it get warmed up, does it starts to creak and groan like the video shows. And only when turning at low speeds. If you notice at the end of the video I straighten the car out and the sound goes away.

Idk total headache. But the Dealer will get in there monday. I'm thinking its the clutchpacks, or an improperly installed pinion and ring. The dealer told me after they sold me the carthat they had to reflash the car to get the speedo to match up, due to a different gear having been installed. So the previous owner probably did it himself. And god knows what he did or didn't do... lol

But I remain optimistic I'll keep you posted
Old 3/28/15, 09:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

Interesting. If the installer did not use Synthetic fluid, or a friction modifier then that would cause this issue you speak of. That said. Why doesn't the dealer install a bottle of friction modifier, let you drive for a couple of miles and see if the noise resolves itself? Cheap enough and easy enough to try.
Old 3/28/15, 10:17 AM
Bullitt Member

Deff return that car. I was able to talk to my Mechanic Buddy although initially we thought it might be a tire rubbing on something. We were able to replicate the same issue in a old school CROWN VIC. The car was pretty much not running anyway, but what we did was gas it up, removed friction modifier and bam... replicated the issue. however since the rear end was shot on this car - it made that noise much much worse and also clicking.... SO YES IT IS YOUR LSD... DEMAND A NEW ONE. OR RETURN YOUR CAR BACK. IF they dont want it drive it trough the front door/window JK!
Old 3/28/15, 11:19 AM
Mach 1 Member

Don;t throw the baby out with the bath water. The clutch pack probably isn't bad. It;s just binding. Add the modifier and see if the noise resolves. if it does, drive the crap out of it. It will be fine.
Old 3/31/15, 03:47 PM
V6 Member

Okay so I dropped my car off Monday and just picked it up. Dealer took care of me! Rear end was low on oil and no friction modifier was used. So they inspected everything and filled it back up. So far so good. Back to normal!
Old 3/31/15, 05:38 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Okay so I dropped my car off Monday and just picked it up. Dealer took care of me! Rear end was low on oil and no friction modifier was used. So they inspected everything and filled it back up. So far so good. Back to normal!
Well that's good news, now you can enjoy your ride!
Old 4/1/15, 07:56 AM
Bullitt Member

That's good news buddy! I also took mine in for the rear end whine issue... I am at 28k miles. Issue started at 10k. Wasn't as bad, anyhow the dealer should have my car done today ( 3 days ) so far and they are replacing carrier and pinion bearings. They took care of me!
Old 4/1/15, 09:13 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by GBStang13
That's good news buddy! I also took mine in for the rear end whine issue... I am at 28k miles. Issue started at 10k. Wasn't as bad, anyhow the dealer should have my car done today ( 3 days ) so far and they are replacing carrier and pinion bearings. They took care of me!
That's great! Thank you for the updates, guys!

Deysha
Old 4/1/15, 09:43 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts

Great! Love it when a fix is simple. It happens so far and few between for me.
Old 4/2/15, 12:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Got mine back today also... She's purring like a kitten, and the rear end noise is long gone. They did take care of me!

Quick Reply: Rear end noise after driving 5 miles off the ford lot...