Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Real world car weight.

Search this Thread

Old 7/31/14, 08:56 PM
GT Member

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Real world car weight.

From what I've seen most people on this board are interested in performance of one kind or another. I think it's generally understood that weight has a direct and important effect on performance, so with that in mind I thought it might be useful to know just what our cars weigh and how much effect different options have on overall weight and weight distribution. I bought my car [ 2014 5.0 GT ] about three weeks ago and decided to weigh it today. My car is a base model without any real bells and whistles and the only modification I've made to it regarding weight has been to install a Boss 302 strut tower brace which weighs around ten pounds or less. Ideally I would have liked to use four individual corner scales, but since I didn't have access to them today I went to a local grain scale. Grain scales are common in rural farming areas and the operators are usually pretty good about doing it. It cost me all of $1.00 to get both the total weight and that of the front end only. For those who are unfamiliar with grain scales they are very accurate and required by law to be inspected and certified accurate on a regular basis. Weights are rounded off to the nearest twenty pounds. My car with a half a tank of gas [ no driver ] weighed 3,580 lbs. with 1,940 lbs of it being on the front. Weight distribution comes out at 54% front and 46% rear. It would be interesting and informative if others could post their weights and whatever options they might have .

Last edited by SilrBult; 7/31/14 at 09:15 PM. Reason: forgot to mention that this is a manual transmission car