Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Not a problem, thanks Buster.
Old 12/20/08, 01:16 AM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,955 Likes on 1,583 Posts
Originally Posted by TampaBear67

Um...The Lead Engineer of the 05-09's Was Vietnamese
, Remember? Huai Thai Tang. Doug Gaffka, has been the Lead Designer for the Mustang for the design of both S197's 05 and 2010. What does the Fact that the Lead Engineer of the 2010 being British have to do with anything anyway? Besides, the Engineers Are Not The Designers. They are Two Different Teams. They do work Together but honestly the Engineering on the 2010 was no where nearly as involved as the 05's since Almost All of the Mechanicals and Hard Points are Carry over from the S-197 Mk 1.

Shawn, I really hate to disagree, but it was Larry Erickson who was the chief designer for the 05-09 based S-197. It wasn't until Erickson resigned earlier this year, to take a teaching position at a major car design institute, before Doug Gaffka was promoted to take over as lead designer for the current S-197 and 2010 Mustang.

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 12/20/08 at 02:42 AM.
Old 12/20/08, 12:50 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unfortunately, both posts are incorrect.

Doug Gaffka was promoted to Director of Living Legends Design in 2002, overseeing styling on the Ford GT, Thunderbird and S197 Mustang. Doyle Letson was chief designer of the 2005 Mustang, until he went on to the Ford Fusion and Larry Erickson took over the S197 Chief Designer position. All three worked with Hau Thai Tang the Chief Engineer to get the 2005 car done.

In 2005, Ford re-organized their departments, and with the demise of the Ford GT and Thunderbird, the separate Living Legends division was killed off. Larry Erickson continued as official chief designer of the 2005-07 Mustang while Doug Gaffka was made chief designer of SVT, working on the 2007 GT500, 2008 Bullitt and GT500 KR and the initial designs for the 2010. At the end of 2006, Jay Mays the Vice President of Design, chose Doug Gaffka's team's design for the 2010 and Larry moved to Advanced Design. Larry Erickson resigned in July to take over Chair of Transportation at the Center for Creative Studies ( CCS ) one of the four or five schools in the US that teaches car design.

Both designers worked with Paul Randle on the 2010 S197. Its worth noting that Doug Gaffka worked not only on the 1999, 2005 and 2010 Mustangs, but also the Taurus, Thuderbird, and Ford GT. Before coming to Ford, Larry Erickson worked at GM, and before that, was one of two designers with Boyd Coddington ( the other designer was Chip Foose ) and designed the CadZZilla, Alum coupe, and I believe the Chezoom custom cars.

Remember also George Saradakis, the lead exterior designer of the 2010, was also the designer of the Shelby GR-1- so it seems Ford puts only the heavy hitters on Mustang.

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
Shawn, I really hate to disagree, but it was Larry Erickson who was the chief designer for the 05-09 based S-197. It wasn't until Erickson resigned earlier this year, to take a teaching position at a major car design institute, before Doug Gaffka was promoted to take over as lead designer for the current S-197 and 2010 Mustang.
Old 12/20/08, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by stangsimon
Unfortunately, both posts are incorrect.

Doug Gaffka was promoted to Director of Living Legends Design in 2002, overseeing styling on the Ford GT, Thunderbird and S197 Mustang. Doyle Letson was chief designer of the 2005 Mustang, until he went on to the Ford Fusion and Larry Erickson took over the S197 Chief Designer position. All three worked with Hau Thai Tang the Chief Engineer to get the 2005 car done.

In 2005, Ford re-organized their departments, and with the demise of the Ford GT and Thunderbird, the separate Living Legends division was killed off. Larry Erickson continued as official chief designer of the 2005-07 Mustang while Doug Gaffka was made chief designer of SVT, working on the 2007 GT500, 2008 Bullitt and GT500 KR and the initial designs for the 2010. At the end of 2006, Jay Mays the Vice President of Design, chose Doug Gaffka's team's design for the 2010 and Larry moved to Advanced Design. Larry Erickson resigned in July to take over Chair of Transportation at the Center for Creative Studies ( CCS ) one of the four or five schools in the US that teaches car design.

Both designers worked with Paul Randle on the 2010 S197. Its worth noting that Doug Gaffka worked not only on the 1999, 2005 and 2010 Mustangs, but also the Taurus, Thuderbird, and Ford GT. Before coming to Ford, Larry Erickson worked at GM, and before that, was one of two designers with Boyd Coddington ( the other designer was Chip Foose ) and designed the CadZZilla, Alum coupe, and I believe the Chezoom custom cars.

Remember also George Saradakis, the lead exterior designer of the 2010, was also the designer of the Shelby GR-1- so it seems Ford puts only the heavy hitters on Mustang.
It would seem that according to your post, I was only partially incorrect. For in your own wording, it was indeed Larry Erickson who was chief designer of the 2005-07 Mustang. While Doug Gaffka was made chief designer of SVT, working on the 2007 GT500, 2008 Bullitt and GT500 KR and the initial designs for the 2010.

Although Doug Gaffka was originally promoted to Director of Living Legends Design in 2002, and had overseen styling on the Ford GT, Thunderbird, and S-197 Mustang.

There is however a very significant difference in overseeing design styling, when compared to being the actual chief designer, as was Doyle Letson, and Larry Erickson.

The bottom line, is that my post was correct. In which Larry Erickson was indeed chief designer of the 2005-07 Mustang, prior to Doug Gaffka taking over

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 12/20/08 at 10:34 PM.
Old 12/21/08, 01:17 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
It would seem that according to your post, I was only partially incorrect. For in your own wording, it was indeed Larry Erickson who was chief designer of the 2005-07 Mustang. While Doug Gaffka was made chief designer of SVT, working on the 2007 GT500, 2008 Bullitt and GT500 KR and the initial designs for the 2010.

Although Doug Gaffka was originally promoted to Director of Living Legends Design in 2002, and had overseen styling on the Ford GT, Thunderbird, and S-197 Mustang.

There is however a very significant difference in overseeing design styling, when compared to being the actual chief designer, as was Doyle Letson, and Larry Erickson.

The bottom line, is that my post was correct. In which Larry Erickson was indeed chief designer of the 2005-07 Mustang, prior to Doug Gaffka taking over

"Overseeing" might have been the wrong word for stangsimon to use. Mostly, though, he is correct. Gaffka was very involved in genesis of the 2005 Mustang and 2010 Mustang designs.

At the risk of outing myself, I was at Ford when the 2005 Mustang was designed. Doug Gaffka was the chief designer when the project started in 2000. The basic shape was laid down in clay by Gaffka, Jay Mays, manager Sean Tant ( and then Doyle Letson, who moved from Thunderbird to Mustang ) and a really great clay modeler named Dave Hacket, and completed in 2001.

During this time, Gaffka was also the chief designer of the Thunderbird, which by 2000, was completed, and the Ford GT/Petunia, which was completed in 2001.

In 2002, Design VP Jay Mays decided to group the three iconic cars into one department, Living Legends, promoting Gaffka to the newly created Director position. Letson then became "acting chief" of the Mustang. Melvin Betincourt, who was a manager on the Lincoln LS, came over to Mustang to replace Letson.

Erickson was still in Europe at the Cologne studio working on the second generation Focus. By the middle of 2002, the 2005 Mustang design was frozen and work began on engineering and testing. Letson was picked to head up the Fusion design team, and Erickson came over from Europe to oversee the Mustang til its 2005 introduction. His biggest contibution was the finalization of the front end and the development of the 2003 concept car, appropriate considering his hot rod design experience. Both Letson and Erickson reported to Gaffka.

When Living Legends was dissolved, Erickson continued as Chief Designer of the Mustang, and Gaffka was made chief designer of SVT. They both had competing teams for the 2010 design, when Gaffka's design was chosen in 2006, he became chief designer for Mustang, Bullitt, GT500KR, and the 2010.

This kind of internal movement is common as designs get finalized, and new projects start. What makes the 2010 special is that my friends who are still at Ford tell me Gaffka, George Saridikas, and Robert Geraldi ( who also worked on the 2005 model when I was there ) have stayed with the project from start to finish to make sure it was done right. This is why we see them in the videos and auto show coverage.

m05, not trying to start a war here, but just want to give credit where credit is due.

Last edited by gnat-sum; 12/21/08 at 01:19 PM.
Old 12/21/08, 01:29 PM
Cobra R Member

I Guess Gnat Told You Guys! Hehehe....

I was only going by information I had read in articles, glad to have this clarified. Thanks Gnat.

Old 12/21/08, 06:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by gnat-sum
"Overseeing" might have been the wrong word for stangsimon to use. Mostly, though, he is correct. Gaffka was very involved in genesis of the 2005 Mustang and 2010 Mustang designs.

At the risk of outing myself, I was at Ford when the 2005 Mustang was designed. Doug Gaffka was the chief designer when the project started in 2000. The basic shape was laid down in clay by Gaffka, Jay Mays, manager Sean Tant ( and then Doyle Letson, who moved from Thunderbird to Mustang ) and a really great clay modeler named Dave Hacket, and completed in 2001.

During this time, Gaffka was also the chief designer of the Thunderbird, which by 2000, was completed, and the Ford GT/Petunia, which was completed in 2001.

In 2002, Design VP Jay Mays decided to group the three iconic cars into one department, Living Legends, promoting Gaffka to the newly created Director position. Letson then became "acting chief" of the Mustang. Melvin Betincourt, who was a manager on the Lincoln LS, came over to Mustang to replace Letson.

Erickson was still in Europe at the Cologne studio working on the second generation Focus. By the middle of 2002, the 2005 Mustang design was frozen and work began on engineering and testing. Letson was picked to head up the Fusion design team, and Erickson came over from Europe to oversee the Mustang til its 2005 introduction. His biggest contibution was the finalization of the front end and the development of the 2003 concept car, appropriate considering his hot rod design experience. Both Letson and Erickson reported to Gaffka.

When Living Legends was dissolved, Erickson continued as Chief Designer of the Mustang, and Gaffka was made chief designer of SVT. They both had competing teams for the 2010 design, when Gaffka's design was chosen in 2006, he became chief designer for Mustang, Bullitt, GT500KR, and the 2010.

This kind of internal movement is common as designs get finalized, and new projects start. What makes the 2010 special is that my friends who are still at Ford tell me Gaffka, George Saridikas, and Robert Geraldi ( who also worked on the 2005 model when I was there ) have stayed with the project from start to finish to make sure it was done right. This is why we see them in the videos and auto show coverage.

m05, not trying to start a war here, but just want to give credit where credit is due.
Gnat,

Great information, thanks for sharing. Do those involved with the design of the 2010 Mustang ever check these forums? If so, I am curious as to what they think of all the negative reactions to the 2010 redesign. For me, all the black plastic cladding in the form of the mutton chops and the diaper on the rear end are the most offensive design elements. Those, in addition to the tail lights and a lack of horsepower compared to the competition, seem to be the most universally disliked elements of the 2010 GT design. Likewise, the interior seems to be pretty much universally praised on the 2010 redesign.

Just curious if they ever check to see what the buying public thinks, and if they ever make changes based on the public's reaction. Thanks again!
Old 12/21/08, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by gnat-sum

And thanks to you, we now have the full complete history behind the S-197 design, and by those who have all contributed.

In the meantime, I also thank you for sharing your information with all of us here. In which I now stand corrected.
Old 12/21/08, 11:24 PM
Cobra R Member

I for one, would LOVEto see some of the Other Proposals for the 2010, just to see what some of their other design directions were.

Ford released them for the 05's and pretty much every other Mustang in History. Any way of Getting some of those pic's? Anyone....Anyone?