Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Pirrelli P Zero Again or Hancock Ventus Noble 2?

Search this Thread

Old 12/18/14, 09:08 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oceantracks
Yeah his statement about OEM is not true, but his bad experience with the Cooper is a bit sobering.
That may be true, as others have said it is all up to you, again I personally think the Pirelli's they put on these cars are crap. Do a little research and see what will be the best tire for you.
Old 12/18/14, 09:13 PM
GT Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well yeah I've read mixed reviews on the Pirelli's and mine didn't last (I have 18 the car and they are shot) but then I was an idiot and didn't rotate them. Just really lost track of the time. Then a dealer told me it wouldn't matter what I got down here in FL, if I wanted any kind of good street performance no brand would last very long on these sandy roads down here. But he said I should have gotten more than that. He is really pushing the ventus noble 2s...you would think you could look at hi end sports cars and see what they come with but it seems like the Pirelli's come on many of them, so it's confusing. I've read Road and Track (I think it was) and they said it was a "middle of the pack" performer. Everyone loves the Michelin SS but they are 1100 for 4*235. Too much money and I'm told they aren't going to last any longer. Man it's tough deciding out there. Every review seems to like the Michelin SS, and the ventus noble 2's, but they really vary on everything else.
Old 12/19/14, 07:01 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Well yeah I've read mixed reviews on the Pirelli's and mine didn't last (I have 18 the car and they are shot) but then I was an idiot and didn't rotate them. Just really lost track of the time. Then a dealer told me it wouldn't matter what I got down here in FL, if I wanted any kind of good street performance no brand would last very long on these sandy roads down here. But he said I should have gotten more than that. He is really pushing the ventus noble 2s...you would think you could look at hi end sports cars and see what they come with but it seems like the Pirelli's come on many of them, so it's confusing. I've read Road and Track (I think it was) and they said it was a "middle of the pack" performer. Everyone loves the Michelin SS but they are 1100 for 4*235. Too much money and I'm told they aren't going to last any longer. Man it's tough deciding out there. Every review seems to like the Michelin SS, and the ventus noble 2's, but they really vary on everything else.
If you want a tire that will last and still perform well maybe look into the Conti DWS or just the DW for summer performance.
Old 12/19/14, 07:50 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
I read some OK reviews of the Cooper, but also read this:

"I work for a national tire retailer in Canada. We sell Cooper tire and I can tell you that they are junk. We balance a set of four on a road force machine and the customer returns 3 days later with a shimmy and the rim/tires are out about 1oz per assembly. They are a nightmare. Michelin, BFG and even Goodyears are the way to go. Trust me. BTW. I recommend to stick with what the factory puts on your vehicle because they installed them for a reason."

So it's really hard to know when you aren't experienced in all of this...
Ok, one review? And an installer, who's going to sell you a more expensive tire (which all his 'recommendations' are)? Right. And that 'factory' thing is they silliest thing ever. As if.

My review:

The Cooper Zeon RS3-A is hands down the best tire I've ever put on any car I've ever owned.

Ever.

I don't do Michelin. I've seen Michelins dry rot off a car, and they handle like crap in the rain. Although, I will admit, I haven't put Pilot Sports on, and I don't intend to for the price. I am not THAT rich, and really... it's almost ludicrous.

Goodyears? I've had 'em. Meh.

BFGoodrich is probably the second best, in the Touring TA, for all around performance/wear I've had. Used them on my Mark VII and VIII exclusively, and I was NEVER dissatisfied in any weather on them.

The Coopers exceed the BFGs. They wear well, they grip all the time (except snow, I don't get that here) and they look awesome.

That review is junk, by a guy who wants to upsell ya. And so here I am to vet the Cooper, because it's offensive, and the squeaky wheel syndrome in all reviews happen.

But remember, *that's just me*. And who am I anyway? I'm just a guy who put two sets of Coopers on his Mustang, and wishes he could do it again, but because I went with the Big **** Rims I have, they don't make 275 or 285 tires in the -A that are the right size. I could put them on the fronts as 255s, and it's tempting. I don't do Summer tires, because occasional hard freezes and daily driver, so the -S version is out, for me.

As it is, I wound up with the General GMaxs in 275/40-18, and while not unhappy with them, they aren't the Coopers. They're a little noisy, not badly so, just... there. And they don't grip quite as well. But they're ok. If Cooper makes the right size(s) for me, then I will immediately jump back.

Although at this point, I'm down to trying the Conti DWs if a deal is available. I've hear a lot about them good.

Take that for what it's worth, friend. Good luck on your tire choices!

Last edited by houtex; 12/19/14 at 07:53 AM.
Old 12/19/14, 08:26 AM
GT Member

Yeah you know I have to get something on this car, these tires are shot.

I just ordered a set of the Coopers, and the guy at the tire store said they were very good as well..getting them on later today if he can get them from the warehouse in time. Will report back in...thanks for the input, you pushed me over the edge

Tom
Old 12/19/14, 11:21 AM
SVS
V6 Member

I just ordered a set of the Coopers, and the guy at the tire store said they were very good as well..getting them on later today if he can get them from the warehouse in time. Will report back in...thanks for the input, you pushed me over the edge

Tom
I love mine, You won't be disappointed!!

Old 12/19/14, 11:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pilot Super Sports all day any day

/thread
Old 12/19/14, 12:07 PM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
Cooper does make several cheap low price tire models. I have 'never' read anything bad about the Cooper Zeon RS3 A (all season) or the Cooper RS3 S (summer) tires. I went with 255/45-18 A (all season) on my v6.
Attached Thumbnails Pirrelli P Zero Again or Hancock Ventus Noble 2?-img_0196.jpg  
Old 12/19/14, 12:55 PM
GT Member

"Pilot SS all day...."

All day if you have 1100 lol
Old 12/19/14, 05:15 PM
Cobra Member

I had a set of the Hankook Ventus S1 Noble 2's put on in my car in place of the summer only Pirellis that came on it. I went with 275/49R19s because I have 19x10 rims on all four corners. So far I've got a few hundred miles on them and am very happy with them. Not only is the tread life much better rated, but these also have less road noise and ride comfort.
Old 12/19/14, 05:47 PM
GT Member

I recently replaced the Pirellis on my 2012 with Goodyear Eagle Sport. The Pirellis were great initially but got loud over time and didn't wear very well. I considered several brands including Michelin and Cooper. I know most people on this board don't seem to like Goodyear, but I have been very pleased with the ride and the look.
Old 12/19/14, 06:34 PM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
"Pilot SS all day...."

All day if you have 1100 lol
+1

Much better than the Pirelli Pzero summer tires and work well in the rain, too.
Old 12/19/14, 10:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My problem with the Pirellis has been in the infrequent cold weather we get here in Dallas. The warning label on the Track Pack cars indicates these tires shouldn't be used in the cold- and they aren't kidding! I will say they are a very nice tire when its warm and dry though!

I've had Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires on two different sports cars, and have been super happy with them. When the Pirellis wear out, that's what I'm going with...
Old 12/19/14, 11:17 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Varilux
My problem with the Pirellis has been in the infrequent cold weather we get here in Dallas. The warning label on the Track Pack cars indicates these tires shouldn't be used in the cold- and they aren't kidding! I will say they are a very nice tire when its warm and dry though! I've had Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires on two different sports cars, and have been super happy with them. When the Pirellis wear out, that's what I'm going with...
That's not a tire problem; that's you buying a car not equipped correctly for the weather in which you drive. Summer tires are strictly for temps 45 degrees and up. If you don't want to deal with two diff sets of tires, you should have all-seasons.

To the OP, the stock Pirelli all-seasons are crap - I went through two sets in barely 50,000 miles and it didn't matter how much I rotated and kept the alignment perfect. The Continental ExtremeContact DWS's I have now are far, far superior and equal or less price.
Old 12/20/14, 05:27 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts

Tom
I also chime in with "You won't be disappointed!"

Originally Posted by David Young
Cooper does make several cheap low price tire models. I have 'never' read anything bad about the Cooper Zeon RS3 A (all season) or the Cooper RS3 S (summer) tires. I went with 255/45-18 A (all season) on my v6.
I miss these so bad...

That being said... I do have to report that it rained yesterday, and I intentionally played around with my General GMax AS-03s and... They're pretty good, overall, in the rain...

I did manage to get sideways when I didn't really want to, though, but de-throttled, got straight, took the hell off (which they do quite well, straight line) and smiled. Funtimes, funtimes...

But I think you did better with the Cooper Zeons, and again, if I could, I would.

Old 12/20/14, 06:06 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cooper tire spent more than two years perfecting both the RS3 A and the RS3 S tires and the main test mules were V6 & V8 Mustangs.
Old 12/20/14, 08:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
That's not a tire problem; that's you buying a car not equipped correctly for the weather in which you drive.

I believe that's exactly what I was saying... geesh! (Note how I plan to replace the Pirellis with... all season tires.)
Old 12/21/14, 12:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Just my $.02 but if money is a factor for hundreds less than a new set of tires, I picked up a brand new set of take off Track Pack 19" wheels with brand new P Zeros with tpms sensors from Roush Performance on Ebay. I put winter tires on my stock track pack wheels . Was up in the air about getting new wheels for the summer. Me personally I love the TP Wheels so it was a win win, plus I have an extra set of summer tires as back up. They have a few sets left.
Old 12/21/14, 02:42 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
Me too for the Coopers. I have recommended these for a while and love them. I also like the Good year GT's great for racing bad for everyday driving as it is a hard riding tire. I have never had anyone say anything bad on the coopers. You will love them and if you shop around you will save Hundreds on new tires.
Old 12/23/14, 07:39 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I'm just going to say it:

While there are smart, experienced, knowledgable people on this forum, pretty much none of us have broad enough experience across tires to give an objective perspective.

Pretty much any NEW tire will beat the hell out of the ones you're replacing. They'll feel quiet, grippy and responsive. They heat cycle gradually over the next year or so and before you know it, they lose their performance edge without you noticing.

The stock Pirelli PZero summer only tires that come on the Brembo/Track Pack cars are specially modified for the Mustang and were widely praised as one of the best stock performance tire ever put on a car. They pretty much kicked *** right up until people started getting into the 10,000 mile range when they really start to wear out and change...and sentiment turned on them. Replacements are expensive...and I'm pretty sure that the standard Pzero 255/40/19 wouldn't even be the same as the OEM version.

Here's the deal: If you're racing the car, talk to the guys who have logged many track/autox/drag strip runs and who go through tires in rapid succession....this likely won't help with an all season tire (or any street tire) but they'd likely have valuable insight.

If you're just looking for good all around all season performance, buy a reputable brand tire with a decent warranty. The differences are bound to be small so buying on price is probably ok. Keep an eye on your tire pressures and minimize smokey burnouts.

Quick Reply: Pirrelli P Zero Again or Hancock Ventus Noble 2?