Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Pic of my exhaust and questions

Search this Thread

Old 3/25/15, 03:19 PM
Cobra Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Pic of my exhaust and questions

Hey guys, so i got the roush a/b last year and they sounded great. After about 6 months the left muffler (i think its only the left muffler) started sounding like garbage and developed a high pitched rasp which literally made my car sound like a honda civic at times (not always consistent).

In warmer weather it is especially prominent.

I phoned roush, they said they had no idea, but they sent me a new pair of axlebacks which im waiting to install once the snow clears.

The car has no exhaust leaks as far as im aware. I was in the shop at my friends dealership and they torqued down all the pipes (even the stock mid pipes etc) to make sure.

Its also basically a brand new car, so no reason to have an exhaust leak imo. Should i pay to get it tested anyway?

I have attached two pics, one is of the roush muffler before install (sitting upside down) showcasing the factory drilled hole that is supposed to be for drainage.

Apparently this is not doing anything as my exhaust is still full of water.

I have attached a pic of my driveway after starting up the car and revving it a few times. Water everywhere... even with the factory hole.

What should i do to prevent this in the future... any ideas or suggestions?

Does anybody know what the problem could be?

I loved the roush so much when it sounded like it was supposed to. I dont want the new one to sound like a honda civic again.

Name:  kRA4GLk.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  92.3 KB

Name:  8ObjEdS.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  117.0 KB
Old 3/25/15, 04:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
The weep hole is showing on top of your muffler, is your exhaust tip on upside down because the hole should be on the bottom.
Old 3/25/15, 04:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blown CS got it right!! (Nice observation)!! They may have assembled it upside down. Check the other one. Also send the pic to Roush and see what they say.
Old 3/25/15, 04:22 PM
V6 Member

That is the bottom of the muffler look at the mounts. Unless somehow they were installed upside down.
Old 3/25/15, 04:22 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Blown CS
The weep hole is showing on top of your muffler, is your exhaust tip on upside down because the hole should be on the bottom.
Originally Posted by pminri
Blown CS got it right!! (Nice observation)!! They may have assembled it upside down. Check the other one. Also send the pic to Roush and see what they say.
As i said in the OP

Its upside down like that in the photo to show the hole!! Thats not how it is on the actual car!

I purposely placed the exhaust upside down for that picture, so you can see it.

Its staged picture to show off the exhaust and how nice it looked when it was new. Thats is not how its installed LOL

Last edited by xtc.inc; 3/25/15 at 04:24 PM.
Old 3/25/15, 05:38 PM
Cobra Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Blown CS
But if so how do you see the Roush name on the exhaust tips?
Old 3/25/15, 07:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by HizliBullet
The tips are held on by clamps. Just loosen the clamps and spin them. He just put them !ike that for the pic.
Old 3/25/15, 08:58 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by imeyers302
The tips are held on by clamps. Just loosen the clamps and spin them. He just put them !ike that for the pic.
Yep that goes back. Roush is great, i love that AB!
Old 3/25/15, 09:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Is something blocking the hole?
Old 3/25/15, 11:17 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by HizliBullet
Guys, the pic was taken like that on purpose to show that it says roush on both the muffler and tip.

Please read the OP.

It has nothing to do with the way the actual mufflers are installed.
Old 3/26/15, 12:56 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Poke that hole! Yeah, poke it real good!
Old 3/26/15, 08:39 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by El Coyote GT/CS
Poke that hole! Yeah, poke it real good!
lol must have been watching American Idol last night.
Old 3/26/15, 12:47 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I wouldn't spend another buck on those AB's....

I see you're in Ontario, if you're in the Mississauga area, I can always demo you my exhaust (yes I know you have a GT and I have a V6)

but when you hear what I have and how it sounds, you'll drool and will want the same equivalent on your ride. It's the same exhaust that Patrick has and IMO the best sounding aftermarket exhaust I've ever heard.

I took my buddy out this past weekend that owns a bone stock 1991 5.0 foxbody mustang and he melted in the driver seat lol.
Old 3/26/15, 01:40 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by JoeMidnight
I wouldn't spend another buck on those AB's....

I see you're in Ontario, if you're in the Mississauga area, I can always demo you my exhaust (yes I know you have a GT and I have a V6)

but when you hear what I have and how it sounds, you'll drool and will want the same equivalent on your ride. It's the same exhaust that Patrick has and IMO the best sounding aftermarket exhaust I've ever heard.

I took my buddy out this past weekend that owns a bone stock 1991 5.0 foxbody mustang and he melted in the driver seat lol.
Thanks man, i appriciate that, you seem like a super chill guy.

Roush sent me a second pair for free which was nice, and i paid only 400$ with shipping when i initially purchased them since they were on sale.

What setup do you have?
Old 3/27/15, 06:03 AM
Cobra Member

for my V6 I have 4" quads (and they also have dual 4.5" Tips for people whom don't have a valence)

It was designed and manufactured by a company Zorro Muffler and they have a performance muffler shop called solo performance in Mississauga. Patrick found these guys if you can believe it and he's in Cali!

I have 2.5" piping from the cats-back. The sound output from how they set it up is just monsterous. People who hear my car don't believe its a V6 initially. I can only imagine what the V8 would sound like with the same setup. Patrick has the V8 setup for the GT and it sounds like a monster on wheels. But I'm yet to hear on in RL, can only imagine what it would sound like.

I don't think the owner started to market the exhaust for the mustangs yet, not sure what their waiting for but, to my knowledge, its ready for prime time. I'll try to post a vid or two (now that the weathers warming up) and do a launch and a cold start.

The last time I posted any video's, they were with the AB setup I was testing for Solo Performance.

Last edited by JoeMidnight; 3/27/15 at 06:05 AM.
Old 3/27/15, 07:13 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Alex... few comments.

First, regarding your pics, if it's truly upside down to just show the weep hole, it "appears" to be in the correct location. That point on the can is the "lowest" part of the muffler, therefore excess water in your muffler/pipes "should" drain to that point, and exit. It is inevitable that "some" water will remain and therefore exit your tips to replicate the 2nd pic you posted (after you rev it). It does look like there's a little too much water still being held in your mufflers despite the weep hole.

For reference, my Corsas also have the weep hole in the same location, and mine don't spit out that much water from the tips, at all. There will be some water draining from the weep hole, as intended. And for the record, my Corsas sound as good, if not better than the day I got them.

Second, sadly, Joe is right. I'll say this quick story again: When I was searching for the "perfect" exhaust, Roush was one of them. However, I quickly eliminated them from the list because of the myriad of issues I read from folks on this forum (and other forums). They have cited quality issues, particularly ones of rusting out, sound issues, etc. I quickly steered away from them. After my stint with Borla (you know the story...), I am done dealing with companies that continue to have mediocre quality standards.

My suggestion...sell those Roush's, and go with a higher quality product. Trust me, it is NOT worth the pain and hassle. You don't "have" to go with Corsa, but I have had very good luck with them, as I have dealt with 2 other exhaust manufacturers personally, and Corsa crushes them with quality, dependability, and customer service. I can't speak for other exhaust manufacturers like Solo Performance... but Joe and Patrick (laserred) has had very good luck with them, and I also trust their opinions.

Good luck with what you decide and keep us posted.

Last edited by FromZto5; 3/27/15 at 12:27 PM.
Old 3/27/15, 07:45 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5
Alex... few comments.

First, regarding your pics, if it's truly upside down to just show the weep hole, it "appears" to be in the correct location. That point on the can is the "lowest" part of the muffler, therefore excess water in your muffler/pipes "should" drain to that point, and exit. It is inevitable that "some" water will remain and therefore exit your tips to replicate the 2nd pic you posted (after you rev it). It does look like there's a little too much water still being held in your mufflers despite the weep hole.

For reference, my Corsas also have the weep hole in the same location, and mine don't spit out that much water from the tips, at all. There will be some water draining from the weep hole, as intended. And for the record, my Corsas sound as good, if not better than the day I got them.

Second, sadly, Joe is right. I'll say this quick story again: When I was searching for the "perfect" exhaust, Roush was one of them. However, I quickly eliminated them from the list because of the myriad of issues I read from folks on this forum (and other forums). They have cited quality issues, particularly ones of rusting out, sound issues, etc. I quickly steered away from them. After my stint with Borla (you know the story...), I am done dealing with companies that continue to have mediocre quality standards.

My suggestion...sell those Roush's, and go with a higher quality product. Trust me, it is NOT worth the pain and hassle. You don't "have" to go with Corsa, but I have had very good luck with them, as I have dealth with 2 other exhaust manufacturers personally, and Corsa crushes them with quality, dependability, and customer service. I can't speak for other exhaust manufacturers like Solo Performance... but Joe and Patrick (laserred) has had very good luck with them, and I also trust their opinions.

Good luck with what you decide and keep us posted.

I was waiting for you to chime in Yeah - the other upside to even considering a local company is that if there are any issues, drive on down to them and they will make it right. I've sat down with the owner (he took me out to lunch) on one of my visits when they were working on a few different setups for the Mustang, heard the owner bend over backwards to help a customer out of a jam. The customer admittedly told Jeff that he was at fault for why something had gone wrong with something he ordered and Jeff seeing how flustered the customer was, he helped him when he really could have walked away saying, "tough love"

I would too sell those brand new replacements and get something else. there is a really good chance that you'll be back in the same boat in a years time, again.

heck. sell the old ones too and bank a buck on both sets lol.
Old 3/27/15, 12:50 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeMidnight
I was waiting for you to chime in Yeah - the other upside to even considering a local company is that if there are any issues, drive on down to them and they will make it right. I've sat down with the owner (he took me out to lunch) on one of my visits when they were working on a few different setups for the Mustang, heard the owner bend over backwards to help a customer out of a jam. The customer admittedly told Jeff that he was at fault for why something had gone wrong with something he ordered and Jeff seeing how flustered the customer was, he helped him when he really could have walked away saying, "tough love"

I would too sell those brand new replacements and get something else. there is a really good chance that you'll be back in the same boat in a years time, again.

heck. sell the old ones too and bank a buck on both sets lol.
Yeah, I heard nothing but good things about Solo. If their products/company was a little bit more mature at the time I was shopping for my Borla replacements, I would have considered a quad tip from them (but would have had to change my rear end).

Borla, at the time of my situation, had decent customer service. As a consumer however, I just got a little tired of having to go through the motion and tasks of contacting them, uninstalling my exhaust, measuring, taking pics, resending, etc...repeat again, etc. 4 times. That was a bit excessive. Corsa = 1 time, perfection.

Last edited by FromZto5; 3/27/15 at 12:52 PM.
Old 3/27/15, 01:05 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5
Yeah, I heard nothing but good things about Solo. If their products/company was a little bit more mature at the time I was shopping for my Borla replacements, I would have considered a quad tip from them (but would have had to change my rear end).

Borla, at the time of my situation, had decent customer service. As a consumer however, I just got a little tired of having to go through the motion and tasks of contacting them, uninstalling my exhaust, measuring, taking pics, resending, etc...repeat again, etc. 4 times. That was a bit excessive. Corsa = 1 time, perfection.

yeah, the company itself has been around for 30+ years... the solo division is newer for them.

I actually had work done from them back in the 90's when I drove one of my Integra's. I was impressed to see how much they've progressed and started a new business since the last time I was there. Had them do some suspension work as well. Those guys are really good and won't take your money until they know you're 100% satisfied. heck ... even if you are 100% satisfied and come back later on with concerns, they still bend over backwards for you! trust me, I know lol.

the nice thing is that the exhaust is built with a quads or regular dual tips for a anyone that has a stock bumper. I ended up installing the valance myself. took a few hours of being really, REALLY careful

If I can install it, anyone can install it lol.

I'm grateful that Patrick got me down there to go check out their operations and see what good things they've been up to.

Hey Alex, no worries if you don't want to hear what it sounds like in real-time.

but, go down there. Jeff is the owner, he's not there everyday. Ray is there everyday. Ask for him, tell him you know Joe with the white mustang (hopefully he won't run you out the door LOL) and Patrick from California.

They will be happy to show you whatever you want.
Old 3/28/15, 04:39 PM
Cobra Member

Hey guys, appreciate the comments.

I do want to hear it but im not in T.O area.

As for drilling the holes.

Should i drill on the bottom of the car closer to the engine, or drill on the rear face of the can?

Quick Reply: Pic of my exhaust and questions