Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Paid off S197 guys: Keep, Sell, trade in for something new?

Old 3/2/16, 07:11 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Paid off S197 guys: Keep, Sell, trade in for something new?

Well, it's 2016 and many of us went with the traditional 60 month finance plan which means that us 2010 and 2011 guys are probably paid off by now and some of you 2012 guys are getting there too.

What are you guys thinking? Are you going to stick with your S197?

Right now, KBB is showing a trade-in value on my GT (base, BBP, 27,000 miles) as being just under $20,000 in my part of the country.

I'm really happy with my car! It's still fast and fun...I'm far from tired of it but it's certainly not new and exciting anymore!

99% sure I'm going to keep it but it's hard to not look at the facts- the car is out of warranty and will start to need replacement parts. The hood is just about to start rotting visibly (and will cost quite a bit for a temporary repaint)...and it's still worth "something" as a trade!

So if I did trade it in, I'd have another dilemma. There's nothing that I like all that much more.

The S550s have some highlights (gorgeous interior, stronger version of the Coyote) but they're just not styled to my personal preferences. Most angles look melted and frumpy to me. Plus, they're heavier than my already heavy S197.

I love the performance of the new Camaro but I just can't see myself being a "Camaro guy." No offense to the owners..and I have a ton of respect for that LT-1 motor...again, not my personal taste. Also, the stripped SS starts at $37k?!

Challenger-- LOVE the styling...but they're too big and way too heavy. The 5.7L is a great engine but it's just passable for the R/T. The Scatpack is super appealing with the beastly 392 (485hp...sounds incredible with the stock exhaust)...base starts at $40k (ouch) but it's a pretty darned nice package. If only it was 15% smaller..

What are you guys thinking?
Old 3/2/16, 07:18 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would be looking for a power adder. It will not feel old and unexciting after that, at least at first. Go with an aftermarket hood, boost and keep it.
Old 3/2/16, 08:59 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Department of Boost Stage III kit, Tiger Racing hood, backup A/C and Power Steering units for when they go out at 40k miles. That's what I'd be doing

Though I would also suggest looking at some modded S550s...stock, the car does absolutely nothing for me. Modded? Whole 'nother story!
Attached Thumbnails Paid off S197 guys:  Keep, Sell, trade in for something new?-photo744.jpg   Paid off S197 guys:  Keep, Sell, trade in for something new?-photo788.jpg   Paid off S197 guys:  Keep, Sell, trade in for something new?-photo259.jpg  
Old 3/2/16, 11:27 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 114 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by MRGTX
Well, it's 2016 and many of us went with the traditional 60 month finance plan which means that us 2010 and 2011 guys are probably paid off by now and some of you 2012 guys are getting there too.

Right now, KBB is showing a trade-in value on my GT (base, BBP, 27,000 miles) as being just under $20,000 in my part of the country.

I'm really happy with my car! It's still fast and fun...I'm far from tired of it but it's certainly not new and exciting anymore!

99% sure I'm going to keep it but it's hard to not look at the facts- the car is out of warranty and will start to need replacement parts. The hood is just about to start rotting visibly (and will cost quite a bit for a temporary repaint)...and it's still worth "something" as a trade!

So if I did trade it in, I'd have another dilemma. There's nothing that I like all that much more.

The S550s have some highlights (gorgeous interior, stronger version of the Coyote) but they're just not styled to my personal preferences. Most angles look melted and frumpy to me. Plus, they're heavier than my already heavy S197.

I love the performance of the new Camaro but I just can't see myself being a "Camaro guy." No offense to the owners..and I have a ton of respect for that LT-1 motor...again, not my personal taste. Also, the stripped SS starts at $37k?!

Challenger-- LOVE the styling...but they're too big and way too heavy. The 5.7L is a great engine but it's just passable for the R/T. The Scatpack is super appealing with the beastly 392 (485hp...sounds incredible with the stock exhaust)...base starts at $40k (ouch) but it's a pretty darned nice package. If only it was 15% smaller..

Sounds to me like you like your car but want something new and shiny. Thing is, I'm not sure you'd be much happier with the new shiny thing after a while, especially considering the extra $$$ you'd end up paying in sticker and taxes. I say mod it some more, whether it be bodywork or performance.
Old 3/2/16, 12:18 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
Department of Boost Stage III kit, Tiger Racing hood, backup A/C and Power Steering units for when they go out at 40k miles. That's what I'd be doing

Though I would also suggest looking at some modded S550s...stock, the car does absolutely nothing for me. Modded? Whole 'nother story!
Yeah...I have to agree that they look pretty sharp once modded.

As for your mod list, that is something I have been tossing around but you're talking about investing another $10,000...that hurts a bit.

Originally Posted by Cavero
Sounds to me like you like your car but want something new and shiny. Thing is, I'm not sure you'd be much happier with the new shiny thing after a while, especially considering the extra $$$ you'd end up paying in sticker and taxes. I say mod it some more, whether it be bodywork or performance.
Ah yes. Sometimes the bucket of cold water is exactly what we need. You're certainly not wrong here.
Old 3/2/16, 12:22 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Is anyone else facing a decision on this?
Old 3/2/16, 12:24 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Yeah...I have to agree that they look pretty sharp once modded.

As for your mod list, that is something I have been tossing around but you're talking about investing another $10,000...that hurts a bit.Ah yes. Sometimes the bucket of cold water is exactly what we need. You're certainly not wrong here.
You can piece together the DOB kits for much cheaper if you buy used or get deals. I'm considering piecing together a kit myself, though I don't feel the need for any more power. It's literally only wanting to back up the looks of the car at shows. Not to mention, I don't think I'd be unhappy with the blower whine haha!

I'd say you're looking at $3-5k depending on if you buy the kit whole or piece it together yourself, and the hood+ paint is $1k. Boom. Done.
Old 3/2/16, 12:39 PM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
$3-5k depending.....hood+ paint is $1k. Boom. Done.
Boom/Done is easy with OP's money Patrick!!
Old 3/2/16, 12:42 PM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
I'm waiting to see if the 2020 is going to be an all aluminum body, which will have the weight loss that was rumored for the 2015 to have had. I'm not talking about the 2017 or 2018 refresh that's going to be done.

This is what i would do. Ford is really going to have to step up their poop to compete with the Camaro.
Old 3/2/16, 01:09 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
I'm starting to debate the same thing. Looking at selling next year and getting a 2008 era viper I think. Great track car and quite rare. Also indestructible from what I've heard. And 600 hp sounds fun. But I use my car slightly differently than most
Old 3/2/16, 01:39 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by TripleBlack14
Boom/Done is easy with OP's money Patrick!!
Yep!

Originally Posted by dmichaels
I'm starting to debate the same thing. Looking at selling next year and getting a 2008 era viper I think. Great track car and quite rare. Also indestructible from what I've heard. And 600 hp sounds fun. But I use my car slightly differently than most
Can't even be mad at that...
Old 3/2/16, 01:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought my 2006 used in 2009, paid it off in 2014, and enjoyed no car payments for about 18 months. I waited and waited until the 2016s came out (with Sync 3), and ordered my GT/PP. No looking back. After I get a couple bills sorted, I'm going to start dumping some extra cash on my payments to pay it off early, so I'm ready to buy the next model (2020?) when they're released (well, the second model year - I don't buy first model year cars).

My advice? Save the car payment until you make a decision. Go out and drive some other cars. I tested a Jaguar XF Supercharged, a Chevy SS, a Mercedes E550 Coupe, and an Audi S5. The Jag and the SS really caught my eye, but the S550 won my money.

JR
Old 3/2/16, 01:45 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,951 Likes on 1,580 Posts

Mike ! your reasons are exactly why I'm sticking with my 2006 GT..

Although I have nothing personal against the S550, it just doesn't appeal to me in the same way as the retro styling of the 2005-14 S197 Mustang..

Like yourself, I also don't want the burden of having to deal with car payments again either.. As for the Camaro and Challenger are concerned, they're also just not my cup of tea for pretty much the same reasons as you've already brought up and most of all, I bleed Ford blue lol.

At any rate, I would take the advice from everyone who's responded as I agree that you'll be far better off keeping your current Mustang by adding mods like a power adder, replacing your hood, upgrading your suspension and so on, this way your car remains fresh and exciting and will cost you far less in expenses over having to deal with car payments for another 5-6 years all over again..

Now don't get me wrong as mods such as superchargers, cams and nitrous can really add up, but there are deals out there.. You just have to look and know where to find them

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 3/2/16 at 01:48 PM.
Old 3/2/16, 02:01 PM
Cobra Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
We traded in our 2013 GT500 for a 2015 Mustang GT. That's how much better the car is for me. Interior, style, ride... all vastly improved. I drove over 4 hours to trade the old for the new. The ride home was significantly better than the ride in.

It's all about what is important to you. Take a new one for a test drive. Not just the five minute kind. Tell the dealer that you want to spend some time behind the wheel & take it out on the highway too. Lastly, rent a new Mustang for a weekend. You'll most likely only get a V6 rental but the ride should be about the same.

Last edited by UOP Shadow; 3/2/16 at 02:03 PM.
Old 3/2/16, 02:25 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,197 Posts
^^THIS!!! I would have to have a modded S550. Heavily modified.

I still like the Hellcat Challengers too. It would have to be a Hellcat though, not a Scat Pak or anything else.
I wouldn't mind buying a HC Challenger and just getting the HP and TQ numbers as high as I could since I don't go to the drag strip or road race. I'll play the "numbers" game. We all do it.
Old 3/2/16, 03:47 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Originally Posted by Stage_3
^^THIS!!! I would have to have a modded S550. Heavily modified.

I still like the Hellcat Challengers too. It would have to be a Hellcat though, not a Scat Pak or anything else.
I wouldn't mind buying a HC Challenger and just getting the HP and TQ numbers as high as I could since I don't go to the drag strip or road race. I'll play the "numbers" game. We all do it.
No way. You can't fix fugly! YOu can put lipstick on a pig, but that won't make it a princess.

I paid off my car last month, and now I'm HEAVILY tempted to trade for the 2017 Camaro 1LE. GT350 performance for $40k and the proven Corvette powertrain sound great.

But it would cost me ~$15k to trade, and I'll also need to replace my winter car next year too. So someone please talk me off the ledge.
Old 3/2/16, 04:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I would not be able to trade in a car for a newer model, if it has the same engine. (extra 10 hp with few tweaks dont impress me)
The thought of paying probably around 13-18K for a car with same engine as the car you just trade in, would be hard to swallow rationally for me.

For a camaro?, sure, for a scat pack? yes, but a 2011+ S197 to a S550? The car looks, IRS , and interior are not far enough for me to pay 13-18K and be happy about it, specially while I love the looks of S197 100%, while S550 makes me sometimes question some angles,specially from the front, while I love the whole back of the car.

Personally the only car at this point that would make me want to trade up would have to be the next gen Challenger, but who knows when thats coming out probably 2018-2019 by this point. If they could make it look awesome, drop weight to mustang level, and still fit the 6.4 in it ( imagine 3700 pounds and 485hp! maybe they could try to make it reach that magic 500hp level for a great marketing strategy?), I might consider to trade up.
Old 3/2/16, 04:09 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Originally Posted by dmichaels
That would be a great car to take your driving skills up a notch. Those things require smoothness and finesse to drive quick.
Old 3/2/16, 04:16 PM
Cobra Member

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by UOP Shadow
We traded in our 2013 GT500 for a 2015 Mustang GT. That's how much better the car is for me. Interior, style, ride... all vastly improved. I drove over 4 hours to trade the old for the new. The ride home was significantly better than the ride in.

It's all about what is important to you. Take a new one for a test drive. Not just the five minute kind. Tell the dealer that you want to spend some time behind the wheel & take it out on the highway too. Lastly, rent a new Mustang for a weekend. You'll most likely only get a V6 rental but the ride should be about the same.
I agree, go drive one to see if it changes your mind. A weekend rental is a great idea.

I couldn't trade my gt500 for a 2016 mustang GT but I do understand what you mean about about the ride and handling. I drove a friends 2015 GT at a road course track and I was impressed, it was significantly better than my Shelby around the same track.

OP if you like s197s why not consider a low mile gt500? Really nice cars from $30-50k depending on the year. You would get the power adder, a larger motor, and it will hold its value better than a modded GT. Many of them are still under factory warranty. It should hold its value better than a 2016 GT which will lose money as soon as you drive it off the lot.

Last edited by Ecostang; 3/2/16 at 05:21 PM.
Old 3/2/16, 04:54 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have almost the exact same car (2012, same color, manual trans, 3.73 gears) but I don't have the dilemma you have because I've realized that at some point you'll be happier if you stop chasing cars. Besides, that's a great car. I agree with those who say you might mod the car to change things up a bit. When mine's paid for this year I'm going to redo the entire suspension, no engine work (it has enough power for me), install leather interior, and I'm done. No more sports/sporty cars for me. It's going to get old like me and that's it.

Search this Thread