2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Oil, oil changes, and oil filter discussion

Search this Thread

Old 9/21/12, 12:32 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They won't let you change your oil until you're past the 3k mark according to some thread on here.
/thread
Old 9/21/12, 01:45 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Some quick answers below in red, but please use the search function. If there's one thing that's been beaten to death and discussed to the Nth degree in this forum (other than transmission problems/non-problems), it's oil and oil changes.

Originally Posted by jocatch
My new 2013 GT Prem has 1100 miles and I am thinking about bringing it to a Ford dealer for its first oil change. I have lots of questions:

1. does Ford use break-in oil? I have never seen a true answer to this. Does Ford use some kind of break-in oil or is it "regular" oil? If not break-in, what kind of oil does Ford supply for new engines?
I don't think there is a consensus on break-in oil or not. Some dealers apparently say yes but who knows if that's right. Comes from the factory with Motorcraft Semi-Synthetic 5W-20.

2. Synthetic/Semi-synthetic - Should I go with full synthetic or semi-synthetic? What does Ford offer? How good is their oil? What do I ask for? I am not racing it and I do not have the track pack.

Lots of guys go with synthetic, but we're all a bit nuts on here. There are hundreds of thousands of Mustangs on the road running with the factory-recommended stuff lasting a long time and doing just fine. Motorcraft oil is just fine. Ford's not in the business of intentionally having problems with their vehicles caused by their OEM fluids/equipment.

3. My engine says 5W-20, does synthetic and/or semi-synthetic come in this grade? I will be driving my car year round.

You can get almost any oil in 5W-20 these days; it's been the most common Ford factory oil, as well as Chrysler, Honda and others I think, for going on ten years.

4. Changing the oil filter at every change is a given but are there different grades of filters that Ford offers?

Nope - there's the Motorcraft FL500-S and that's it. Aftermarket companies like K&N, Amsoil, Royal Purple and Mobil 1 all have filters designed for longer oil change intervals + full synthetic oil though.

5. What is the difference is oil change frequency between synthetic and semi- synthetic? The engine oil monitor doesn't know what kind of oil I am using so how offen does it need to be change depending on the type of oil?

The OLM is calibrated for semi-synthetic, since that's factory. You'll likely get between 5,000 and 7,500 on an oil change, depending on driving conditions. Regardless of full or semi-synthetic, you still need to change the oil when it tells you to, if you want to maintain your warranty. If you went way past the 0% life remaining, had a problem and told Ford, "but I used full synthetic!", I'm guessing they'd say "too bad, so sad."

6. How come the track apps display does not show oil pressure?
Not sure on that one. Could be that most people wouldn't understand how oil pressure can fluctuate and would freak out the first time they saw it go way up or down.

Thanks.

Joe C.
Old 9/24/12, 12:06 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 387 Likes on 284 Posts
Kyle's got ya covered. I'm one of those that take ours back to the dealer. Our 2010 GT never had any problems, and hoping our 2013 doesn't either. BTW, I'm gonna change mine at the first 3000 miles, then every 5000 after. It's probably overkill, but I feel more comfortable that way.
Old 9/24/12, 12:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by wanted33
Kyle's got ya covered. I'm one of those that take ours back to the dealer. Our 2010 GT never had any problems, and hoping our 2013 doesn't either. BTW, I'm gonna change mine at the first 3000 miles, then every 5000 after. It's probably overkill, but I feel more comfortable that way.
Same here. First change at ~2000 miles, and I'll be changing it every 5000 miles going forward.

As a side note, when you change your oil use the 'oil life reset'. I believe the default is 10,000 miles, so I changed mine to 50%, so that it starts counting down from 5000 instead.
Old 9/24/12, 12:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

^^ same.....first change at 2600 miles.
Old 9/24/12, 12:50 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Mikey

Same here. First change at ~2000 miles, and I'll be changing it every 5000 miles going forward.

As a side note, when you change your oil use the 'oil life reset'. I believe the default is 10,000 miles, so I changed mine to 50%, so that it starts counting down from 5000 instead.
They wouldn't put the default higher than the recommended. I know for for a fact that one of its kickers is a 6 month life cycle.
Old 9/24/12, 02:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500
They wouldn't put the default higher than the recommended. I know for for a fact that one of its kickers is a 6 month life cycle.
I'd have to double check, I swore it was 10k but maybe it's 7k or 7,500...
Old 9/24/12, 04:09 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by kylerohde
Some quick answers below in red, but please use the search function. If there's one thing that's been beaten to death and discussed to the Nth degree in this forum (other than transmission problems/non-problems), it's oil and oil changes.
Thanks Kyle.

This post is full of win. the oil topic...ahhhhh... One of the easiest things ever to do. 45 mins by myself in fact, last weekend
Old 9/24/12, 04:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by FromZto5

Thanks Kyle.

This post is full of win. the oil topic...ahhhhh... One of the easiest things ever to do. 45 mins by myself in fact, last weekend
But you probably paid more for that oil change, than I do for "the works" at the dealership.
Old 9/24/12, 04:20 PM
I Have No Life

But you probably paid more for that oil change, than I do for "the works" at the dealership.
Probably. But for me, it's about the one on one time I get with her... It's pure bliss. I love doing it. Also I don't trust dealerships and how they "care" for a car. Most if not all don't give a hoot about making sure they don't scratch or put fingerprints on my car. I know from experience. As you know by now, car detailing is paramount for me. Besides, no one else will care more about my cars than me, period.

Cost for that satisfaction is irrelevant.

Last edited by FromZto5; 9/24/12 at 04:21 PM.
Old 9/24/12, 04:22 PM
Banned

Probably. But for me, it's about the one on one time I get with her... It's pure bliss. I love doing it. Also I don't trust dealerships and how they "care"for a car. Most if not all don't give a hoot about making sure they don't scratch or put fingerprints on my car. I know from experience. As you know by now, car detailing is paramount for me. Besides, no one else will care more about my cars than me,.period.

Cost for that satisfaction is moot.
That's a little creepy. lol
Old 9/24/12, 04:24 PM
I Have No Life

That's a little creepy. lol
Hehe indeed.
Old 9/27/12, 07:07 AM
GT Member

Probably. But for me, it's about the one on one time I get with her... It's pure bliss. I love doing it. Also I don't trust dealerships and how they "care" for a car. Most if not all don't give a hoot about making sure they don't scratch or put fingerprints on my car. I know from experience. As you know by now, car detailing is paramount for me. Besides, no one else will care more about my cars than me, period.

Cost for that satisfaction is irrelevant.
+1! Over my years of experience with getting work done, whether at dealerships of drive-up oil change shops, I've had drain plugs stripped out (multiple times), dents, scratches, grease all over the interior, stolen money, and of course grubby fingerprints all over the place. It's frustrating! And things like this have happened so often, now I always worry whenever taking it in anywhere. For THAT, I buy the supplies and do it myself, the only way I can guarantee those things don't happen.
Old 9/27/12, 08:01 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by JoesCat
I've had drain plugs stripped out (multiple times)
Good reminder to anyone that changes your own oil - the proper torque for the oil drain plug is only 19 lb/ft. That's much, much lower than I would have ever thought, and makes me amazed I never stripped out drain plugs on my previous cars, all of which I tightened with an open-ended wrench to (I bet) 70 or 80 lb/ft.
Old 9/27/12, 09:01 AM
V6 Member

All the fluids (oil, manual transmission & rear axle) are full synthetic in your mustang. It is listed in the owner's manual.
Full synthetic comes in all weights.
Change your filter at each oil change
Ford will give you the correct oil filter for your car.(FL-500-S)
You should not go back and forth with different types of oil

2011 GT Premium, 400A, JLT oil separator, GT500 Axle backs, Airaid CAI, 35% window tint, GT500 mud guards.
Old 9/27/12, 09:16 AM
Mach 1 Member

I changed my oil for the first time at 1800 miles
Old 9/27/12, 11:48 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Gabe
As far as oil though ..... the Track Package takes 5w50 full synthetic, and the local stores can only get the Castrol EDGE ...

I read somewhere on here about Ford-recommended brands and that the Castrol was one of them, besides Ford's own Motorcraft brand of course ...

Anybody know what the other brands are?
IIRC the newer bottles of Castrol 5w-50 don't have that Ford Spec Label. Only one would be Motorcraft.

You can also get 5w-50 from Mobil 1. Call around and see if your auto parts store can order it. I got mine from Napa and good luck, it's a PITA with some of those parts guys.
Old 9/28/12, 05:23 AM

I'm only speaking about motorcraft oil in this reply. I have had nothing but good luck with the semi-synthetic ford stuff. I have used it in 3 mustangs with no issues. My 2013 runs on it without a hitch, granted it only has 7000 miles on it. But my older '85 SVO that has the Lima 2.3 turbo with ~150000 miles on it, 50000 by me, has had no issues either. I have run 20+ lbs of boost for ~40000 miles since 100000 miles and it still has 150+ psi of compression over all 4 cylinders. Granted that is a completely different motor than the coyote 5.0 but it shows that the oil will not cause problems when you 5.0 gets a few more miles on it.
Old 9/28/12, 12:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Got my oil changed this moring...

... at a Ford dealer. And the tech couldn't find reverse.

Now, to be fair, I have a Hurst T-handle shifter on there... but I kinda expected they'd know what they're doing.

Three of 'em standing around watching, so I went over and said 'left and up'... but he still couldn't find it. Second guy kept saying it's 'left and DOWN'... so HE got in and tried that two or three times just to make sure before he gave up and went the other way.

Kind of amused me.

I guess I'll put a piece of masking tape on the shifter next time and draw a picture.
Old 9/28/12, 12:42 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by wannabe
... at a Ford dealer. And the tech couldn't find reverse.

Now, to be fair, I have a Hurst T-handle shifter on there... but I kinda expected they'd know what they're doing.

Three of 'em standing around watching, so I went over and said 'left and up'... but he still couldn't find it. Second guy kept saying it's 'left and DOWN'... so HE got in and tried that two or three times just to make sure before he gave up and went the other way.

Kind of amused me.

I guess I'll put a piece of masking tape on the shifter next time and draw a picture.

Quick Reply: Oil, oil changes, and oil filter discussion