2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Oil, oil changes, and oil filter discussion

Old 1/27/12, 06:40 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BLAZN BOSS
Well,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,your wrong...........I've worked as a mechanic for two Ford dealerships and warranty HAS been denied because of oil & filter types.
How about some details? What oil & filter was speced, and what was on the engine? What specifically about the oil & filter was inferior?
Old 1/27/12, 07:05 AM
Cobra Member

Location: NJ. Waiting for our Gov. to be held accountable for his actions>>>Jersey Broke
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Old 1/27/12, 07:13 AM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have seen fram and Pennzoil filters void warranties. Expecialy fram. Fram sucks...
Old 1/27/12, 07:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by texastboneking
I have seen fram and Pennzoil filters void warranties. Expecialy fram. Fram sucks...
I would agree with this. I'll stick with Amsoil or Royal Purple filters on these motors.
Old 1/27/12, 08:44 AM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

I have never seen a amsoil filter or a royal purple filter. Waste of money to me. The regular motorcraft filter is already perfect for the engine as is. And using a motorcraft filter keeps from having any warranty concerns.

Also. If Ford determines that the royal purple filter is junk. Then bye bye warrantee.. I haven't personally taken a royal purple or amsoil filter apart to check the design.
Old 1/27/12, 09:44 AM
V6 Member

I have never seen a amsoil filter or a royal purple filter. Waste of money to me. The regular motorcraft filter is already perfect for the engine as is. And using a motorcraft filter keeps from having any warranty concerns.

Also. If Ford determines that the royal purple filter is junk. Then bye bye warrantee.. I haven't personally taken a royal purple or amsoil filter apart to check the design.
They are quality as well as K&N, just probably a waste of money and I agree with you for once, the motorcraft filters are considered to be very good, reasonably priced and readily available. I paid like $7 a piece plus free two day shipping from Amazon.

Last edited by bolecailey; 1/27/12 at 09:46 AM.
Old 1/27/12, 10:11 AM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

I personally use wix if a motorcraft isn't available. I have pulled apart both wix and a motorcraft. They are very similar in construction. Both made with quality filter media. Wix had slightly more media. Both have the spring relief valve. Which is good. And both have metal interiors holding the filter media in place.

To compare fram, less media, cheaper media, not a spring relief design, and uses card board instead of metal to hold the media together.
Fram is more likely to fail with the inferior parts.
Old 1/27/12, 10:40 AM
GT Member

I personally use wix if a motorcraft isn't available. I have pulled apart both wix and a motorcraft. They are very similar in construction. Both made with quality filter media. Wix had slightly more media. Both have the spring relief valve. Which is good. And both have metal interiors holding the filter media in place.

To compare fram, less media, cheaper media, not a spring relief design, and uses card board instead of metal to hold the media together.
Fram is more likely to fail with the inferior parts.

Unless they have changed, amsiol filters were rebranded wix filters.
Old 1/27/12, 10:42 AM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Originally Posted by Afdharley

Unless they have changed, amsiol filters were rebranded wix filters.
Interesting. Didn't know that.
Old 5/30/12, 07:16 PM
Bullitt Member

2013 5.0 first oil change from dealer recommended

Talked to my dealer today after dropping off my wife's....told him I just hit 2,000kms on the 5.0 ..... I asked, he said no redlining the car, and no need to change the oil until 8,000 Kms (5,000 miles).

I was surprised, and asked, he said , the breakin oil needs to stay in the car. He advised not to change sooner. My curiosity got the best of me, so I called the svt store in the other direction, and that service manager advised very similar. He said said around 6,000 or 7,000 Kms was fine. He didn't feel like talking further...but sounded confident... Personally, I think it's too late as a first oil change.

Thoughts on this ?
Old 5/30/12, 07:26 PM
Bullitt Member

I beat the heck out of my 5.0 the first 1000 miles. Well, not literally but I did seat the rings and drive the car to redline more than once. I figured if something broke, I wanted it to happen the first 1000 miles. I was tuning the car at 1000 miles and dumping the break in oil. On the same day, I tuned the car and put in Mobil 1 extended performance synthetic at 1000 miles . I changed it again at 5000 and 10000. I now have 11,400 miles on her and she couldn't be stronger. I can't drive it enough. Seat your rings, change your oil to a good base 4 synthetic and never look back. My car actually got stronger between 6k and 7k miles. Good luck!
Old 5/30/12, 07:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Mustang Mafia
I beat the heck out of my 5.0 the first 1000 miles. Well, not literally but I did seat the rings and drive the car to redline more than once. I figured if something broke, I wanted it to happen the first 1000 miles. I was tuning the car at 1000 miles and dumping the break in oil. On the same day, I tuned the car and put in Mobil 1 extended performance synthetic at 1000 miles . I changed it again at 5000 and 10000. I now have 11,400 miles on her and she couldn't be stronger. I can't drive it enough. Seat your rings, change your oil to a good base 4 synthetic and never look back. My car actually got stronger between 6k and 7k miles. Good luck!
I have started driving it aggressive at around 1,500 Kms ....no redline yet, but up to 5,000 rpm often. It's more the oil change I'm curious about.
Old 5/30/12, 07:57 PM
Bullitt Member

just took mine to the dealer today for first oil change at 890 miles, i have the track pack and told the dealer to put 5w50 as it said on the oil cap, they were surprised a bit and they almost
put in the 5w20 blend. should be good for a while now.

i applied a very "thorough" break in strategy, no crazy redline runs but deinitely gave the car the go pedal a bunch...it might be a bit overzealous but just wanted to be on the safe side since i have been driving it like i stole it...the thing is made to go fast and its almost a crime to baby it
Old 5/30/12, 08:44 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Check your IOL monitor and see what percentage of oil life is left. It all depends on your driving style, the temperature and several other things figured into the algorithm Ford uses. I changed mine, the first time at 3300 miles, because my IOLM indicated only 31% oil life was left. Went to Mobil 1, 5W-20 with the Motorcraft filter.

I monitor the IOLM and have changed it based on oil life left and time, usually every six months with 30-40% left. Probably overkill on my part, but with 22000+ miles it has never used a drop of oil, and 99% of my driving is high speed interstate.
Old 5/30/12, 09:29 PM
GT Member

The owner of the dealer told me to come in at 1,000 miles to get a free oil change. I don't know if I'll take that offer though. I'm already at 900.

I'll probably change it myself at 3,000 or 5,000 miles. I didn't baby my car either.
Old 5/31/12, 05:39 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by SpiderX1016
The owner of the dealer told me to come in at 1,000 miles to get a free oil change. I don't know if I'll take that offer though. I'm already at 900.

I'll probably change it myself at 3,000 or 5,000 miles. I didn't baby my car either.
If the dealer is offering to do it for free, why not take them up on it???
Old 5/31/12, 06:32 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by JScottGT
If the dealer is offering to do it for free, why not take them up on it???
I'm hip! I'd take it!
Old 5/31/12, 06:52 AM
Bullitt Member

mine was free, dealer promised me first oil change when i bought the car so my rationale is that it cant hurt the car to get the first one done early...nothin out of my pocket
Old 5/31/12, 06:52 AM
Bullitt Member

Me too but my only concern with having the Track Pack is making sure they put in the correct oil.
Old 5/31/12, 06:54 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by BigR
the breakin oil needs to stay in the car. He advised not to change sooner. My curiosity got the best of me, so I called the svt store in the other direction, and that service manager advised very similar. He said said around 6,000 or 7,000 Kms was fine.
Personally, I think it's too late as a first oil change.

Thoughts on this ?
It's not the first time I've heard not to change the factory oil too soon. I bought a new 2010 Honda Fit a few years ago. I brought the car in for its first oil change at 5,000 miles and was turned away. There is a oil life indicator as part of the trip odometer options. The service advisor looked at the oil life and told me that there is an advantage to leaving the factory oil intact until the oil life was 15%. She said it would be fine to change it every 5,000 miles after that.

How many of you have found that your 5.0 uses oil at first? My Mustang has almost 1,900 miles on it. I've already added 2 quarts of oil (Motocraft 5-20 synthetic blend as recommended in the owner's manual). I read that the 5.0 uses some oil during break- in. I'm not overly concerned, yet will mention it to the service advisor when I bring it in for the oil change. My thought is that the oil from the factory is less viscous than the 5-20 and that's the reason for the unusual consumption. Any comments?

I like the idea of using a synthetic oil when it's time for the oil change. I don't care about the expense. What do you other Mustang owners think of synthetic oil for your GT instead of the synthetic blend?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil, oil changes, and oil filter discussion