2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Oil change- How too

Search this Thread

Old 3/9/15, 08:09 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I didn't see this mentioned anywhere... BUT, if you aren't in any rush and truly have OCD, you'd leave the drain plug and oil filter removed for 10 to maybe 15 minutes to try and drain as much oil out as you can before filling it back up.
Old 5/21/15, 04:58 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What about the oil drain plug gasket? What size and material is it? I have a bunch for my honda but don't know if they will fit.
Old 5/22/15, 01:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If I remember right, the rubber gasket is built into the drain plug.

Wayne
Old 5/22/15, 06:12 PM
V6 Member

Thanks doing my first change on the stang this weekend.
Old 5/26/15, 06:40 AM
V6 Member

Ok oil change complete. Super easy, with pretty easy access to oil filter. But wtf is up with the windage tray not being removable? It made my easy no mess oil change into the Exxon oil spill when it cascades of the shield.
Old 5/26/15, 11:42 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by silvagsr
Ok oil change complete. Super easy, with pretty easy access to oil filter. But wtf is up with the windage tray not being removable? It made my easy no mess oil change into the Exxon oil spill when it cascades of the shield.
You evidently missed the part in this thread about the ziploc bag trick - wrap a gallon size ziploc bag around the filter as you untwist it. 90-100% of the oil is caught in the bag then and it avoids that mess on the tray.
Old 5/26/15, 04:50 PM
V6 Member

No I did that bag trick too but any oil that leaks past just cascades down the tray. Did ford intend for customers or technicians to use plastic bags to remove oil filters?
Old 6/27/15, 11:29 AM

so guys in speaking about engine oil change periods and of coarse synthetic runs longer than non synthetic oils you spoke about different miles or even months and yes I agree its up to you but for some that are watching the oil life monitor on the dash, then from 100% to 0% what does that time go by ? anyone know this ? I have found many discussions on here about time to change and for some it has been averaging between 5,000-15,000 when I bought my car the salesman recommended about 6,000 miles but this was not from a Ford dealership as in "not right from the horses mouth" so i wonder what ford manufacture has set the oil life maintenance monitor to ? any one have factual information, i know i could search it from a ford website about our cars being a 2014 5.0 GT but i figured some of you on here would know this ? just am curious.
also great shared information on here like as DMichaels says he runs his car on a road coarse 5W50 and that is more than basic street driving and the different oil viscosities are good to know about for what works in different driving habits.
Old 6/27/15, 12:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
the first year I after I bought my car new, the oil life monitor told to change oil after about 10000 miles.
The second year, I had not driven that much, and it actually told me to change the oil, a year after the last oil change.
So basically, which ever comes first: one year, or 10000 miles.
Old 6/27/15, 12:19 PM

ok good to know, thanks for watching that, i didn't find that info anywhere, much appreciated.
Old 6/30/15, 12:43 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by coreyplant
so guys in speaking about engine oil change periods and of coarse synthetic runs longer than non synthetic oils you spoke about different miles or even months and yes I agree its up to you but for some that are watching the oil life monitor on the dash, then from 100% to 0% what does that time go by ? anyone know this ? I have found many discussions on here about time to change and for some it has been averaging between 5,000-15,000 when I bought my car the salesman recommended about 6,000 miles but this was not from a Ford dealership as in "not right from the horses mouth" so i wonder what ford manufacture has set the oil life maintenance monitor to ? any one have factual information, i know i could search it from a ford website about our cars being a 2014 5.0 GT but i figured some of you on here would know this ? just am curious.
also great shared information on here like as DMichaels says he runs his car on a road coarse 5W50 and that is more than basic street driving and the different oil viscosities are good to know about for what works in different driving habits.
Unless you have a situation like DMichaels (racing), you are just fine to use the recommended oil (5W-20 for non-track pack cars, 5W-50 for track pack).

The Oil Life Monitor (OLM) does not have a set amount of miles it goes by - it is somewhat intelligent in that it goes by how the car has been driven and in what conditions. If you're driving in the city all the time, it might come on in 5,000 miles. If you're all highway, it might be 10,000. The best way to truly know is to get an oil analysis done when you change your oil - Blackstone Labs does them by mail for only $25. I've gotten four of those so far (#5 is on the way) and they've told me repeatedly that I could easily go close to 10,000 miles before changing it. I drive 2/3 highway and use Castrol Syntec full synthetic, so others would get a different result potentially. However, you will stay within warranty and have no problems if you just keep it simple and go with the OLM.
The following users liked this post:
mdb007 (9/29/23)
Old 6/25/16, 01:50 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just did an oil change and figure I would add, to reset the oil life monitor is simple. Hit the set up button twice, the oil life message will appear, hold reset and it will go back to 100% :-)
Old 7/7/16, 05:54 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SONICBOOST
Thanks for the replies, I'm going to run the motor craft 5w20 synthetic. Is the part number for the oil filter in the owners manual?
I use the Ford Racing oil filters. They are a lot better at filtering out contaminants than the standard motorcraft filter and are good for long interval changes. More expensive though.
Old 7/8/16, 07:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CriticalmassGT
I use the Ford Racing oil filters. They are a lot better at filtering out contaminants than the standard motorcraft filter and are good for long interval changes. More expensive though.
I thought about using one of these on my 14 but didn't know if there would be any warranty issues if I ever have any engine issues.

Wayne
Old 7/8/16, 07:13 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by 70monte
I thought about using one of these on my 14 but didn't know if there would be any warranty issues if I ever have any engine issues.

Wayne
I don't see how considering it exceeds OEM specs. You don't have to use Motorcraft brand products to retain warranty.
Old 8/16/16, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Plim
the first year I after I bought my car new, the oil life monitor told to change oil after about 10000 miles.
The second year, I had not driven that much, and it actually told me to change the oil, a year after the last oil change.
So basically, which ever comes first: one year, or 10000 miles.

I understood that only a "Full Synthetic" oil can/should be changed at the 10k mark. I was told the standard "Synthetic Blend" (which is what most Ford Dealers & Jiffy Lube type places use) should NOT be changed at 10k, but should be changed in the 5-7k range (as I understood a blend doesn't hold its viscosity and lifespan as well as Full Synthetic).
Has anyone else heard this?

I haven't made the jump yet to a Full Synthetic on my 14 GT (still using the Ford recommended blend).
Can anyone tell me if they've noticed a difference (from a performance and/or economy perspective) when using 100% synthetic?
Is the extra cost really worth it??
Old 8/18/16, 09:28 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Capt_Speed
I understood that only a "Full Synthetic" oil can/should be changed at the 10k mark. I was told the standard "Synthetic Blend" (which is what most Ford Dealers & Jiffy Lube type places use) should NOT be changed at 10k, but should be changed in the 5-7k range (as I understood a blend doesn't hold its viscosity and lifespan as well as Full Synthetic).
Has anyone else heard this?

I haven't made the jump yet to a Full Synthetic on my 14 GT (still using the Ford recommended blend).
Can anyone tell me if they've noticed a difference (from a performance and/or economy perspective) when using 100% synthetic?
Is the extra cost really worth it??
You don't need to change the oil until the oil life monitor tells you to. It is calibrated for semi-synthetic since that is what the car comes from the factory with.

I highly doubt you will see any difference in performance or economy that isn't just a placebo effect...and I'm a guy that runs full synthetic. For me, it's more about doing all I can to maximize the life of the engine and minimize wear & tear. I daily drive my car year-round and drive 20K miles a year. Those cold days in the winter when my car sits outside at the office for 10 hours, then gets started up - that's where the synthetic makes the most difference, I hope. To upgrade to full synthetic probably costs me less than $100 a year, since I only change the oil 3x/year, which I think is well worth it.
Old 4/25/18, 05:30 PM

Thanks, this helped me change my friend's oil
Old 10/30/20, 09:19 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
To avoid the oil getting everywhere when you remove the filter, get a plastic bag (Walmart) and some wire, making a loop to hold the bag, then keep it in place while the oil drips into it. Keeps the oil from getting all over other components.
Old 4/29/23, 02:19 PM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 947 Likes on 575 Posts
What a wonderful 'sticky'. I did my first oil change today and no problem at all with all the info provided. My 'change oil' light came on despite the dealership change last July 1 before I bought the car. Maybe they forgot to re-set the interval to 100%. Doesn't matter as 2,600 miles and 10 months have passed anyway. Starting fresh again with 5w-20 Ford semi-synthetic and the Ford filter.That gallon bag trick worked well around the filter. I bet it caught 90% of the oil. .
The following 2 users liked this post by NC14GT:
05stangkc (4/29/23), m05fastbackGT (4/29/23)

Quick Reply: Oil change- How too