Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

NHTSA opens investigation into transmission problems

Old 8/7/11, 08:33 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Well, I was going to change my fluid to Royal Purple, although I am not having any problems, I just like to change out the initial fill; but now with this I think I will wait and see if any decision is reached in a reasonable time....wait, the government is investigating, what was I thinking about "reasonable".
Old 8/7/11, 08:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really don't think that a gear lockout is going to kill someone unless your a total idiot who overreacts like a woman. Come on, this is just ridiculous. I had gear lockout with my dads Muncie 4 speed tranny and you know what, I ignored it moved to the next gear while staying focused on the road. Not intentionally putting myself into a dangerous situation because I'm pissed of at my chinese tranny and redirect all my focus to fiddling around with a shifter. These reports to the NHTSA sound so stupid. People write in their own experiences with gear lockout that it forces them into a situation where they feared for their life. In all honesty I do feel for people who are having serious transmission problems but if this issues is "supposedly" endangering your life there is seriously something wrong with you. Some people cannot react when it comes to split second decisions and this isn't even one.

If your having tranny problems by all means complain about that but don't complain that just because a gear wouldn't engage that you almost died. Additionally if your knowingly going out and driving on a failed tranny that has several locked out gears your endangering your own life on your own accord. That alone is not fords fault.
Old 8/7/11, 08:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by flySWA737
I really don't think that a gear lockout is going to kill someone unless your a total idiot who overreacts like a woman. Come on, this is just ridiculous. I had gear lockout with my dads Muncie 4 speed tranny and you know what, I ignored it moved to the next gear while staying focused on the road. Not intentionally putting myself into a dangerous situation because I'm pissed of at my chinese tranny and redirect all my focus to fiddling around with a shifter. These reports to the NHTSA sound so stupid. People write in their own experiences with gear lockout that it forces them into a situation where they feared for their life. In all honesty I do feel for people who are having serious transmission problems but if this issues is "supposedly" endangering your life there is seriously something wrong with you. Some people cannot react when it comes to split second decisions and this isn't even one.

If your having tranny problems by all means complain about that but don't complain that just because a gear wouldn't engage that you almost died. Additionally if your knowingly going out and driving on a failed tranny that has several locked out gears your endangering your own life on your own accord. That alone is not fords fault.
My Gear wouldn't engage and I almost died.

Try getting out of the way by downshifting only to find your lever won't move into ANY GEAR.... WITH THE CLUTCH FULLY DEPRESSED.... ON A HIGHWAY.

And Ford has been telling hoards of us they can't reproduce the issue... OR that it's normal.
Attached Files
File Type: zip
mustang.mp3.zip (559.6 KB, 45 views)
Old 8/7/11, 08:58 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by flySWA737
I really don't think that a gear lockout is going to kill someone unless your a total idiot who overreacts like a woman.

Some people cannot react when it comes to split second decisions and this isn't even one.
Hmm... Disregarding the apparent contradiction in those two statements, maybe everyone who buys a Mustang isn't a NASCAR, NHRA, and Formula I ace with catlike reflexes like you...

Oh, and FYI, I don't think you endeared yourself to any women on the board, if you get my drift

Last edited by jimmbbo; 8/7/11 at 09:00 PM.
Old 8/7/11, 09:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by jmatero

Try getting out of the way by downshifting only to find your lever won't move into ANY GEAR.... WITH THE CLUTCH FULLY DEPRESSED.... ON A HIGHWAY.

And Ford has been telling hoards of us they can't reproduce the issue... OR that it's normal.

I know about your case an I'm not attacking you. Just if your driving out a car even to this day that you know has a severe problem such as you experience, your putting yourself at risk knowingly. Sorry I do not mean to offend you I'm just stating my observations based of these posts. I understand you have an issue but please don't talk about still having problems and endangering yourself when your knowingly driving the car with a defective tranny.

Originally Posted by jimmbbo
Hmm... Disregarding the apparent contradiction in those two statements, maybe everyone who buys a Mustang isn't a NASCAR, NHRA, and Formula I ace with catlike reflexes like you...

Oh, and FYI, I don't think you endeared yourself to any women on the board, if you get my drift
Sorry for the contradiction there but I was trying to make a point that the decision that is required for this type of situation is not that quick, at least not quick enough that if a gear is not selected in 5 seconds that an accident is inevitable. Also I'm not saying that I have catlike reflexes, its that if something happens that is out of the ordinary while your driving there is no point in dwelling on it for more than a second or two.

If I've read correctly from past posts your a pilot, yes? You should understand what I mean about never letting the plane get ahead of you. This is just a similar example.

And a side note I didn't mean to offend any women on this site it just slipped out in my post. I do apologize for that.
Old 8/7/11, 09:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Wow, I just listened to that recording. Normal design of the vehicle? Are you effing kidding me?

This makes me happier by the day that I got the automatic, I just didn't have a good feeling about having a chinese built tranny in my car.

Want to fix the problem Ford? Go back to using Tremec please, put a TR6060 in these cars and call it a day.
Old 8/7/11, 09:36 PM

What's being a pilot have to do with being locked out of a gear?

Things happen a lot faster in cars than airplane as the environment is much more dynamic and unpredictable. When my fuel pump went out in my truck causing my engine to die a few years ago I didn't have time to take a sip of cocoa and analyze the problem. I had to get from the left lane with no power and no shoulder to pull on across a couple lanes of highway traffic to the shoulder without killing myself or someone else. That was a whole lot more stressful than canning an engine on climbout or *****ing bob telling me about an engine fire.

If I'm an average citizen (and I am) and I buy a new vehicle I have certain expectations for it. I expect that the manufacturer has in good faith made an attempt to sell me a mechanically sound means of transport that meets certain standards for safety and reliability. I shouldn't have to get on the internet and browse a forum to realize that my car might have a glass jaw for a transmission I need to be aware of. I should be able to put the hammer down on an on ramp, shift to second without worry because manual transmissions aren't exactly new technology and continue accelerating to safe merging speed. If I'm that average citizen who buys my car that I'm going to be happy driving instead of talking about on the internet and that DOES happen you don't have a long time to analyze much less make an informed decision.

You're going to be logical and try harder and your thought is going to be "it didn't go again? WTF?" as you try a third time. By now you're well down the on ramp, you may well be in a construction area with cement barriers blocking any reasonable shoulder you might have had to pull off on, cars are bearing down on your ***, you're merging into traffic and the gap between your speed and traffics is now getting wider. Traffic isn't expecting you to not be in gear, they're going to expect and make their decisions on you doing the predictable thing which is accelerating your sports car in a reasonable fashion and that's what they're going to see until it's too late to realize it. By then they're bearing down on you with the momentum of a freight train and you're at the mercy of the reaction of someone else which is a helpless situation to be in.

I hope I don't have to experience it but following a checklist and not getting the power of your motor transferred to your wheels as you merge onto a freeway isn't an apples to apples comparison.
Old 8/7/11, 09:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by SD CALSPCL
Well, I was going to change my fluid to Royal Purple, although I am not having any problems, I just like to change out the initial fill; but now with this I think I will wait and see if any decision is reached in a reasonable time....wait, the government is investigating, what was I thinking about "reasonable".
Old 8/7/11, 09:44 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
I posted a few months back about the Chinese trans plant and everyone seemed to think it was a good move for ford. How you liking it now? Anyways, if you guys are looking for a quick solution, you better take a seat. Only 32 complaints and they are finally investigating. So now there are a few cases started on problem vehicles. Ford engineers will then talk to the technicians working on these vehicles and recommend and report back findings. If you are lucky, someone will find a resolution to the problem. Then a procedure has to be drawn up on a diagnosis and repair. Hopefully they won't have to produce a new designed part to repair them. That would require engineering and design set backs. Finally if all of this works out, you may find out through the grapevine, that there is a fix. Hopefully Deysha will keep you guys posted on the issue. She is definitely helpful on this site. There won't be a recall unless there were accidents because of this issue. And tsb's and special policies don't get sent to the owners.
Old 8/7/11, 09:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Capo2ndFret
What's being a pilot have to do with being locked out of a gear?

Things happen a lot faster in cars than airplane as the environment is much more dynamic and unpredictable. When my fuel pump went out in my truck causing my engine to die a few years ago I didn't have time to take a sip of cocoa and analyze the problem. I had to get from the left lane with no power and no shoulder to pull on across a couple lanes of highway traffic to the shoulder without killing myself or someone else. That was a whole lot more stressful than canning an engine on climbout or *****ing bob telling me about an engine fire.

If I'm an average citizen (and I am) and I buy a new vehicle I have certain expectations for it. I expect that the manufacturer has in good faith made an attempt to sell me a mechanically sound means of transport that meets certain standards for safety and reliability. I shouldn't have to get on the internet and browse a forum to realize that my car might have a glass jaw for a transmission I need to be aware of. I should be able to put the hammer down on an on ramp, shift to second without worry because manual transmissions aren't exactly new technology and continue accelerating to safe merging speed. If I'm that average citizen who buys my car that I'm going to be happy driving instead of talking about on the internet and that DOES happen you don't have a long time to analyze much less make an informed decision.

You're going to be logical and try harder and your thought is going to be "it didn't go again? WTF?" as you try a third time. By now you're well down the on ramp, you may well be in a construction area with cement barriers blocking any reasonable shoulder you might have had to pull off on, cars are bearing down on your ***, you're merging into traffic and the gap between your speed and traffics is now getting wider. Traffic isn't expecting you to not be in gear, they're going to expect and make their decisions on you doing the predictable thing which is accelerating your sports car in a reasonable fashion and that's what they're going to see until it's too late to realize it. By then they're bearing down on you with the momentum of a freight train and you're at the mercy of the reaction of someone else which is a helpless situation to be in.

I hope I don't have to experience it but following a checklist and not getting the power of your motor transferred to your wheels as you merge onto a freeway isn't an apples to apples comparison.
Well the pilot reference was only directed for him to understand, not an overall concept for everyone to wonder "what does flying have to do with my car". I agree having to react in an emergency situation is stressful to worry about but getting locked out of gear is not that dangerous. The car is still rolling forward, you have a wheel in front of you, you have emergency lights, do the math. If you are not happy with the way the car is driving do something about it then. Don't continue to drive it and complain about being locked out of gears if its really bothering you.

The concept I brought up is an apples to apples comparison. Read some of those ridiculous NHTSA reports. Some of them really sound like their letting the car get ahead of them and in control, putting the driver into a situation where their in danger. There is no need to let something get that far ahead of you and control the situation. All I'm saying is a report about how the car locked out a gear, the driver struggled and a car behind them barreled down on them and screeched to a halt behind them cause what I would say is an overreaction to a change to their typical driving environment. These reports literally sound intentional because some of them don't even talk of any corrective action being taken to avoid an accident. The car is still functioning unless the tranny locks the rear axle somehow and you actually loose control.
Old 8/7/11, 09:53 PM

And i thought my post was long. Cliff notes guys.
Old 8/7/11, 10:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by AlsCobra
I posted a few months back about the Chinese trans plant and everyone seemed to think it was a good move for ford. How you liking it now? Anyways, if you guys are looking for a quick solution, you better take a seat. Only 32 complaints and they are finally investigating. So now there are a few cases started on problem vehicles. Ford engineers will then talk to the technicians working on these vehicles and recommend and report back findings. If you are lucky, someone will find a resolution to the problem. Then a procedure has to be drawn up on a diagnosis and repair. Hopefully they won't have to produce a new designed part to repair them. That would require engineering and design set backs. Finally if all of this works out, you may find out through the grapevine, that there is a fix. Hopefully Deysha will keep you guys posted on the issue. She is definitely helpful on this site. There won't be a recall unless there were accidents because of this issue. And tsb's and special policies don't get sent to the owners.
Still don't understand what the slight on the "Chinese built transmission" is. I know that people like to think that everything not built in America is crap but if this is a design issue and not a build issue then don't you think this transmission would have the same issues no matter where in the world it was built?
Old 8/7/11, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by jaybertx

Still don't understand what the slight on the "Chinese built transmission" is. I know that people like to think that everything not built in America is crap but if this is a design issue and not a build issue then don't you think this transmission would have the same issues no matter where in the world it was built?
Probably. But it's much more fun to just blame the Chinese. I was more disappointed at the time that ford built a trans plant in china instead of the U.S. But that's for another thread.
Old 8/7/11, 10:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Here's the reality of the situation... Right down to brass tacks:

WHEN THE DRIVER OF A MANUAL TRANSMISSION VEHICLE FULLY DEPRESSES THE CLUTCH PEDAL... AND MOVES THE SHIFTER... IT SHOULD GO INTO GEAR. NOT GRIND. NOT BIND. PLAIN AND SIMPLE

Mustang owner's have been complaining for a year and a half now... And no response from Ford. This company has been designing and building rear wheel drive manual transmission vehicles for over 100 years.

FIX IT

Last edited by jmatero; 8/7/11 at 10:57 PM.
Old 8/7/11, 11:02 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 586 Likes on 420 Posts
Originally Posted by AlsCobra
Probably. But it's much more fun to just blame the Chinese.
Old 8/7/11, 11:04 PM

They will now that there is an investigation. But they are just getting started on it and these things take time. Even if there are a few documented accidents caused by this issue. They will do like Toyota and just tell people don't drive them until they figure it out. Yeah right.
Old 8/7/11, 11:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Mustang owner's have been complaining for a year and a half now...
Technically you can go back to the 05-09 S197s or earlier having grinds into gear with their TR3650s, the usual grinding till warm with TR6060s, and almost all other manual car having grinding till warm. I've always learned to find a fluid that the tranny agrees with but consistent problems through any temp is a different issue. Some can agree with the cold and some can't but this is an unrelated story.

WHEN THE DRIVER OF A MANUAL TRANSMISSION VEHICLE FULLY DEPRESSES THE CLUTCH PEDAL... AND MOVES THE SHIFTER... IT SHOULD GO INTO GEAR. NOT GRIND. NOT BIND. PLAIN AND SIMPLE
Fair enough. And lets leave it at that.
Old 8/7/11, 11:47 PM

The temp issues may very well be related. My car has the T56 so it's a little different but maybe close enough. It started grinding in 3rd and 4th only when it was cold. A trip to the track proved that it was a related problem. Would not let me into 3rd or 4th over 5k rpm either. Tear down and I found tooth damage on the 3/4 syncro but that was probably from the grinding. 3/4 blocker rings friction material was also worn out. New 3/4 syncro and blocker rings took care of the problem. If they are using thin shift forks on those models they may bend easily also. I would try the royal purple synchromesh fluid replacement before I do anything else though.
Old 8/8/11, 08:53 AM

I'll be the first to admit that I have this boss 302 section of the forum bookmarked and never visit any of the other branches.

I hope my car doesn't have this problem when it arrives -.-
Old 8/8/11, 11:24 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Expand your mind.

I always hit 'today's posts' under the "Quick Links" tab. Then I can choose what I want to read as the current topics unfold. Plus you can see that someone has already started a thread on a topic before we get 3, 4, 5... of the same thing.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: NHTSA opens investigation into transmission problems