Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NHTSA opens investigation into transmission problems

Looks like things are hopefully moving forward towards a solution:

http://mustangsdaily.com/blog/2011/0...sion-problems/
Old 8/7/11, 01:48 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The NHTSA announced today that it is opening an investigation into transmission problems for the 2011+ Ford Mustang. The government agency said it had received 32 complaints from owners regarding a sudden inability to shift into gear, and will be taking a closer look at approximately 26,000 Mustangs that could potentially have the problem.
While Ford hasn’t released a recall or a TSB for faulty transmissions – the closest thing being a TSB to resolve cold shifting problems – they did acknowledge that they are aware of the problem. “”We will fully cooperate with the government as they review this matter,” a company spokesperson said.
[Source: Detroit News]
Old 8/7/11, 01:49 PM
Bullitt Member

Good News!!! I don't really have any major problems (besides an occasional 1st & 2nd gear grind every now and then), but if the outcome is a recall for the tranny...I'd be happy to take my 2011 in for a better one!!!
Old 8/7/11, 02:02 PM
Cobra Member

NHTSA opens transmission investigation

well i guess 32 complaints was the magic number, i hope that this leads to a fix quickly. I still say this isn't a transmission internal issue, but the clutch pedal issue i am having. ive started to wonder if that isn't where the crunch comes from. if the driver shifts and the clutch isn't fully disengaged even though their foot is off the pedal it might cause a crunch like we see, right?

http://mustangsdaily.com/blog/2011/0...sion-problems/

Last edited by ShaneM; 8/7/11 at 02:04 PM.
Old 8/7/11, 02:07 PM
Post *****

Tomorrow take that article to your Dealer and tell them to put that in their pipe and smoke it!
Old 8/7/11, 02:08 PM
Cobra Member

i just want them to fix it, this is the one issue with the car that i can't live with. the rear diff whine i can ignore, not being able to shift to 4th on the track i cant live with or when passing someone.
Old 8/7/11, 02:08 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If there really is an issue, it's sad that it had to come to this to get resolved.

At any rate, in for the NTHSA's findings, if any.
Old 8/7/11, 04:30 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by magnido45
Good News!!! I don't really have any major problems (besides an occasional 1st & 2nd gear grind every now and then), but if the outcome is a recall for the tranny...I'd be happy to take my 2011 in for a better one!!!
Exact same thoughts and problem here as well.
Old 8/7/11, 05:00 PM
Bullitt Member

HA HA HA LMAO!!! How many of you guys have taken your crap transmission in only to be told it's normal?

"After the announcement Ford did acknowledge that they are aware of the problem. “We will fully cooperate with the government as they review this matter,” commented a company spokesperson"

Source: http://mustangsdaily.com/blog/2011/08/07/nhtsa-opens-investigation-into-the-2011-mustangs-transmission-problems/
Old 8/7/11, 05:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Old 8/7/11, 05:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Shane, I hadn't followed your transmission issues, but you're having difficulty with a 3-4 shift?

I seem to have more trouble with that on my car than any other gear selection (other than cold climate 1-2, but its been a while since my car has seen anything close to a cold climate).

In my case the gear just won't go in. In some cases the selection is forced to 6th, or gasp, 2nd. I know I've caught second once and the resulting overrev caused the clutch disk to come apart (they feel it was a faulty clutch and it was replaced under warranty), however I get infuriated on track or when driving hard and I can't get it into 4th on what should be the easiest shift in the car.
Old 8/7/11, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by cdynaco
....The NHTSA announced today that it is opening an investigation into transmission problems for the 2011+ Ford Mustang. The government agency said it had received 32 complaints from owners regarding a sudden inability to shift into gear, and will be taking a closer look at approximately 26,000 Mustangs that could potentially have the problem.
While Ford hasn’t released a recall or a TSB for faulty transmissions – the closest thing being a TSB to resolve cold shifting problems – they did acknowledge that they are aware of the problem. “”We will fully cooperate with the government as they review this matter,” a company spokesperson said.
[Source: Detroit News]
I don't know if the Detroit News updated its story after you posted this, but your quote of Ford is not correct. The story says Ford is aware of the investigation (it does not say Ford is aware of the 'problem').

The article says:

"Ford said it was aware of the investigation. "We will fully cooperate with the government as they review this matter," spokesman Wes Sherwood said."
Old 8/7/11, 06:14 PM
Post *****

I just pasted from the OP's link...

Although it stands to reason Ford knows of the problem just by the number of responses from Deysha of "FordCustomerService" on this forum - even if the many Dealers are failing to report the issues. Ford now has an entire team monitoring social media on several sites.

Last edited by cdynaco; 8/7/11 at 06:18 PM.
Old 8/7/11, 06:17 PM
Bullitt Member

I wouldnt bank on NHTSA. they opened the same "investigation" into the cts-v rear differentials that were grenading, and closed it out basically saying it's the driver's fault. I wouldnt be suprised if this gets the same ruling.

note, they also relied on "engineering design and test data" from the manufacturer who they were investigating... kind of like the SEC asking ENRON to audit their own books....

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/pr...h&summary=true
Old 8/7/11, 06:20 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
It won't be recalled. Recalls only happen when it is a safety issue. Only thing you guys can hope for is a tsb on a repair procedure and a possible special policy on the repairs being covered when a solution is found. Always be concerned about buying the next latest and greatest until the bugs are worked out. This is one of those bugs. If you want a recall, you guys are gonna have to start wrecking.
Old 8/7/11, 06:21 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by CaptDistraction
Shane, I hadn't followed your transmission issues, but you're having difficulty with a 3-4 shift?

I seem to have more trouble with that on my car than any other gear selection (other than cold climate 1-2, but its been a while since my car has seen anything close to a cold climate).

In my case the gear just won't go in. In some cases the selection is forced to 6th, or gasp, 2nd. I know I've caught second once and the resulting overrev caused the clutch disk to come apart (they feel it was a faulty clutch and it was replaced under warranty), however I get infuriated on track or when driving hard and I can't get it into 4th on what should be the easiest shift in the car.
that is exactly my problem, the clutch sticks about half way back up from the floor and the car wont go into any gear or it shoots me into 6th. you can hear it going on in the vids i posted about my track day a few months back. it does it every time at high rpm only on 3-4.
Old 8/7/11, 06:22 PM

Double thread here. Mod power needed.
Old 8/7/11, 06:25 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by AlsCobra
Double thread here. Mod power needed.
where is the other thread? if its in the main section, i never go there id wager a bunch of the boss guys are the same.
Old 8/7/11, 06:31 PM

It's in the 2010-2014 section. Nbd. Just pointing out.
Old 8/7/11, 08:21 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by AlsCobra
If you want a recall, you guys are gonna have to start wrecking.
Not a matter of IF, but WHEN... You can only run across the freeway so many times before you get whacked. You think Ford woulda learned from the Pinto exploding gas tank fiasco, but maybe not... Their history is that they stonewall till there's blood in the streets.

Last edited by jimmbbo; 8/7/11 at 08:24 PM.

Quick Reply: NHTSA opens investigation into transmission problems