Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Next recommended "cooling" mod?

Search this Thread

Old 8/20/14, 08:08 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Next recommended "cooling" mod?

I am satisfied with where I'm at as far as power levels go. I'd like to switch focus a bit, more towards reliability. As some of you know, my latest dyno fiascos have led me to believe that our cars, esp when FI'd tend to heat soak pretty quickly. I would think that if I improved cooling, I'd be able to put down the power reliably, for longer. Agree? (Especially in hot traffic and city driving). Note, that I don't track or drag, at least not now.

So I was thinking of 2 options.

1) Improved Heat exchanger (either steeda or vmp).

Gabe has a thread on the mustang chat sub forum.

I'm looking at the same options...triple pass with fans. I have a call into both to determine what is necessary to allow for proper fit. I figured having a magnuson blower might make things tricky for fit, but then I realized, having a top mounted roots style blower should result in the same front area (where the HE will fit) for everyone right? Regardless of type of blower installed? Anyone know what type of fabrication or modification I have to do to get it to fit?

$750-800 for either.

http://www.steeda.com/steeda-mustang...#/product/1118

http://vmptuning.com/07-12-gt500-cooling/vmphe-dual/

2) Opening up the front end via elimination of the main fogs or getting a Saleen 281 front grille.

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...1-Front-Grille

~$220 bucks

What do you guys think? Would the saleen grille look goofy with my setup? After my latest halo fog fiasco, I'm on the fence about losing my fogs and my black chrome pony . Oh well... Should help cooling I guess.

Ideally I'd get both I know...but I think the HE would be a winter project.

Which do you guys recommend?

P.s. Was thinking about the gt500 wheel too instead, but obviously won't be as beneficial as the above two options.
Old 8/20/14, 10:07 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
I read Gabes thread and I was looking at cooling options my self.
It would seem to me that the Shelby system would have been engineered for our cars?

Looks to be competitive in pricing?

Saleen Grill would look assume.
Old 8/21/14, 03:42 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
IMHO if you're sitting in traffic or stop and go traffic an open grill isn't going to help to much. In theory a HE with fans (I'd go VMP triple with 11" fans) would be most beneficial. If you start tracking the car the open grill and a 170 degree thermostat (tune adjusted to start fans earlier than stock) would help.

Come on you just want to feed your uncontrollable addiction to buy stuff for your car LOL I know the feeling. I've got some goodies coming in that I'll post on in September.
Old 8/21/14, 03:55 AM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
This is what you want. Amazing system.
http://www.killerchiller.com/system_1_page.htm
Old 8/21/14, 05:16 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think you're on the right track with your choice of cooling mods. I like the VMP version better. Also I love my Saleen grill, looks so much better than the rest.
Name:  10480092_10203750648273986_3631911436840580959_o.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  86.4 KB
Old 8/21/14, 05:34 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by Jazzman442
I read Gabes thread and I was looking at cooling options my self. It would seem to me that the Shelby system would have been engineered for our cars? Looks to be competitive in pricing? Saleen Grill would look assume.
You mean the actual Shelby HE that comes stock with the GT500? I never thought of that. I guess I didn't know you could just buy that separate, which makes sense.

Anyone with a 5.0 here that runs the Shelby HE? Links or pics and info about install? Is it a triple pass with fans? I would think I'd want the most cooling possible, so triple pass with fans would be minimum.

Originally Posted by GT50GO
IMHO if you're sitting in traffic or stop and go traffic an open grill isn't going to help to much. In theory a HE with fans (I'd go VMP triple with 11" fans) would be most beneficial. If you start tracking the car the open grill and a 170 degree thermostat (tune adjusted to start fans earlier than stock) would help. Come on you just want to feed your uncontrollable addiction to buy stuff for your car LOL I know the feeling. I've got some goodies coming in that I'll post on in September.
Haha! Of course, there's always the urge to scratch the "itch". I'll be first to admit that hehe. But I really do want to improve the cooling of our cars though. I didn't know our cars, when FI'd, heat soak so quickly.

What HE are you running, sir?

As for the VMP, any more info you have on it? When ordering, they have an option for a 170 thermostat. What's that for and is that necessary? When I installed the Maggie kit's HE, it was literally plug and play, mount HE, connect hoses, voila. Would this be the case here?

Lastly, I know some of you have has issues with VMP's customer service lately. That's what holds me back a little. Tbh, I'm pretty sick of $hitty customer service. Whether it be lack of communication, downright lies, or inattention and lack of accountability, I don't want to deal with that. I JUST got my refund from HIDguy, and glad I did. FYI, those of you there, avoid that shop like the plague. Absolutely awful on the attributes I mentioned above.

Originally Posted by AlsCobra
This is what you want. Amazing system. http://www.killerchiller.com/system_1_page.htm
Al, please tell me more about this. So it looks like an additional gizmo that coolant passes through????

Originally Posted by swervo
I think you're on the right track with your choice of cooling mods. I like the VMP version better. Also I love my Saleen grill, looks so much better than the rest.
Dewayne, thanks for the info sir, and usual your car is one of my faves on this forum.

I forget, but are you FI? So do you have the vmp? And as far as the saleen grille, that looks great!!!

I know I'll get BOTH eventually, but which do you think I should get FIRST? Which has bigger bang for buck? Does the saleen really help with cooling and heat extraction?

Last edited by FromZto5; 8/21/14 at 06:30 AM.
Old 8/21/14, 06:22 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The fog lights are a signature look for the GT. Do what you want, but leave those intact. Sounds like you're looking for a change regardless...

In the end, whatever you do, I'm sure your car will look good!
Old 8/21/14, 07:09 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Just so you know with the 11-12 year mustangs you might have to trim the inside of your lower bumper valiance. I had to trim a ton on mine because I have a RTR lower valiance. Even still with all the trimming i did its pretty snug fit. But Its a beats of a heat exchanger.
Old 8/21/14, 07:14 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by JoeMidnight
The fog lights are a signature look for the GT. Do what you want, but leave those intact. Sounds like you're looking for a change regardless...

In the end, whatever you do, I'm sure your car will look good!
Joe...that's exactly what my wife tells me But yes, I agree. I've always loved my fogs. That's why I wanted halo's but you know all about my HIDGuy fiasco (ugh, that was terrible). And right now, Diode Dynamics and Yukes haven't gotten back to me in price yet. I can't believe it's so hard/uncommon to have halos for our fogs. I would have thought it was a dime a dozen.

But anyways, not dead set on getting Saleen grille in the future or if at all. That's why I was posing the question to all of you. What say you? Saleen grill or stock grill???

Last edited by FromZto5; 8/21/14 at 07:15 AM.
Old 8/21/14, 07:25 AM
Cobra Member

I'm not opposed to the Saleen grill. It's VERY similar to the MCA grill

If I were in your shoes. I would keep the existing grill to maintain that signature look for your breed of Mustang and keep what you were doing, Looking for upgraded fogs...

My two cents!
Attached Images  
Old 8/21/14, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by FromZto5
You mean the actual Shelby HE that comes stock with the GT500? I never thought of that. I guess I didn't know you could just buy that separate, which makes sense. Anyone with a 5.0 here that runs the Shelby HE? Links or pics and info about install? Is it a triple pass with fans? I would think I'd want the most cooling possible, so triple pass with fans would be minimum. Haha! Of course, there's always the urge to scratch the "itch". I'll be first to admit that hehe. But I really do want to improve the cooling of our cars though. I didn't know our cars, when FI'd, heat soak so quickly. What HE are you running, sir? As for the VMP, any more info you have on it? When ordering, they have an option for a 170 thermostat. What's that for and is that necessary? When I installed the Maggie kit's HE, it was literally plug and play, mount HE, connect hoses, voila. Would this be the case here? Lastly, I know some of you have has issues with VMP's customer service lately. That's what holds me back a little. Tbh, I'm pretty sick of $hitty customer service. Whether it be lack of communication, downright lies, or inattention and lack of accountability, I don't want to deal with that. I JUST got my refund from HIDguy, and glad I did. FYI, those of you there, avoid that shop like the plague. Absolutely awful on the attributes I mentioned above. Al, please tell me more about this. So it looks like an additional gizmo that coolant passes through????
Actually refrigerant passes through it instead of air cooled. Refrigerant line taps off and it has used the heat exchanger as a secondary evaporator. The refrigerant cools the coolant that passes through the intercooler. Ingenious stuff. Met a guy with the system a while back with a blown 9 second GT. He said there's a slight difference in A/C performance but not enough to really notice. Zero heat soak and really cool intake temps. If I still had my car, I would definitely have this system. Check out that link. There's lots of info and YouTube vids explaining the system and performance.
Old 8/21/14, 07:53 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Now I want one of those "Killer Chiller" mods.

Have you thought about Snow Performance's Water and Meth Injection kits? They will also lower your intake temps. They're about $700 and great for FI cars. http://www.snowperformance.net/
Old 8/21/14, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by Moejoe_989
Now I want one of those "Killer Chiller" mods. Have you thought about Snow Performance's Water and Meth Injection kits? They will also lower your intake temps. They're about $700 and great for FI cars. http://www.snowperformance.net/
Requires methanol and checking a methanol tank. What if you run out? Not worth the trouble unless it's for race applications.
Old 8/21/14, 08:55 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Actually refrigerant passes through it instead of air cooled. Refrigerant line taps off and it has used the heat exchanger as a secondary evaporator. The refrigerant cools the coolant that passes through the intercooler. Ingenious stuff. Met a guy with the system a while back with a blown 9 second GT. He said there's a slight difference in A/C performance but not enough to really notice. Zero heat soak and really cool intake temps. If I still had my car, I would definitely have this system. Check out that link. There's lots of info and YouTube vids explaining the system and performance.
No pun intended but that's a cool system. As you said, very ingenious thinking.

John
Old 8/21/14, 09:52 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by JoeMidnight
I'm not opposed to the Saleen grill. It's VERY similar to the MCA grill

If I were in your shoes. I would keep the existing grill to maintain that signature look for your breed of Mustang and keep what you were doing, Looking for upgraded fogs...

My two cents!
I agree. The Saleen grille is a different look, and eliminates my beloved fogs. But I'm on the fence if it still retains the muscle look? hmmm And if it helps relieve heat, even at idle, I can't see why it would be a bad thing, eh?

Wow... very interesting. Is there anyone on our forum who has this and can speak to it? I wonder if it's a complicated install. How much was it again?

Originally Posted by Moejoe_989
Now I want one of those "Killer Chiller" mods.

Have you thought about Snow Performance's Water and Meth Injection kits? They will also lower your intake temps. They're about $700 and great for FI cars. http://www.snowperformance.net/
Yeah, no methanol for me.... I'd rather have a self contained unit in its own system. Good idea though.

Requires methanol and checking a methanol tank. What if you run out? Not worth the trouble unless it's for race applications.
exactly.

Originally Posted by Horspla
No pun intended but that's a cool system. As you said, very ingenious thinking.

John
I agree. What are your thoughts, John? Which option would you do?
Old 8/21/14, 10:06 AM
Cobra Member

I agree. The Saleen grille is a different look, and eliminates my beloved fogs. But I'm on the fence if it still retains the muscle look? hmmm And if it helps relieve heat, even at idle, I can't see why it would be a bad thing, eh?

Thank you for not using the term DELETE. It's way overplayed and grinds my nerves more than kids calling each other names in the playground!
Old 8/21/14, 10:11 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dewayne, thanks for the info sir, and usual your car is one of my faves on this forum.

I forget, but are you FI? So do you have the vmp? And as far as the saleen grille, that looks great!!!

I know I'll get BOTH eventually, but which do you think I should get FIRST? Which has bigger bang for buck? Does the saleen really help with cooling and heat extraction?
Thanks sir. I'm not FI with this stang, but I did have a twin turbo'd mach 1 before my current stang. I got the Saleen because it looks great and because I hate the fog lights in the center. I know it's the iconic mustang look, but that just doesnt do it for me. Plus I have fogs in my Roush bumper.

I'm not sure if the grille helps with cooling it down, but it might as there is more airflow with out the fogs in the way. I know the HE will be more beneficial for the performance aspect of the two. However the Saleen is much cheaper. So it's up to you, looks/cheaper or performance/more expensive.
Old 8/21/14, 10:12 AM

I agree. The Saleen grille is a different look, and eliminates my beloved fogs. But I'm on the fence if it still retains the muscle look? hmmm And if it helps relieve heat, even at idle, I can't see why it would be a bad thing, eh? Wow... very interesting. Is there anyone on our forum who has this and can speak to it? I wonder if it's a complicated install. How much was it again? Yeah, no methanol for me.... I'd rather have a self contained unit in its own system. Good idea though. exactly. I agree. What are your thoughts, John? Which option would you do?
I'm pretty sure you can find a few at SVTP that are running the system. Looks pretty simple to install. There are T fittings that tie into your A/C lines so you will have to evacuate your A/C, cut and T in the new fittings, route the coolant hoses and charge the A/C back up. So a few lines to route and clamp which are very clean and not noticeable, a black box, and that's about it. Looks like there's also an intake temp gauge that can be purchased separately. Looks perfect for what you are looking to do. The kit goes for $799.
Old 8/21/14, 10:18 AM

I just checked. Go to SVTP and search Killer Chiller. Lots of love for this system.
Old 8/21/14, 11:11 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I agree. What are your thoughts, John? Which option would you do?
As much as I like the ingenuity of the system I would pass on it for two reasons:

1) The AC compressor needs to be on for it to function. That adds additional heat load to the engine and engine compartment. Running the compressor also absorbs otherwise useful power from the intended forward acceleration!

2) The AC lines have to be opened up and modified. Not necessarily a big deal if you have the tools to do it and know what you’re doing. A word of warning on this: AC system do not like ANY dirt or foreign material floating around in them, ask me how I know!

If you’re serious about heat rejection in the aftercoolant in a way that creates zero parasitic, doesn’t introduce additional heat load to the engine or further restrict the airflow to the AC condenser or engine radiator, a total loss boil off system filled with a methanol/ water mix mounted in the trunk would be ideal. The drawback is it needs to be refilled and there would be plumbing involved. The system works so well we use it on race planes to cool the entire engine and aftercooling system which includes an intercooler and aftercooler...before anybody says they’re the same, no they most definitely are not. Most of these systems are erroneously called intercoolers when in fact, they are AFTERcoolers.

John

Quick Reply: Next recommended "cooling" mod?