Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
It is insane ... The retrofit was only $1500

I love it though...

LEXiiON
Old 8/21/14, 09:16 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Lime GT
I've been thinking of buying a 2014 GT with or with out Electronics package which includes Nav for $2300 Cdn. Just wondering if it's a worthwhile option for the price or just buy a Garmin if the need arrives? I realize it also comes with dual zone heat which I don't really need as I don't drive the car in winter. Heated seats will definitely be included in my options though. The other options I will definitely have are RR Sensing Sys/Security, GT Brake Perf Racing Package and Rear View Camera.

Thought's on the quality of the Electronics Package option?
I suppose it depends on whether you like the OEM look or not.

If you don't care that much, then aftermarket is the way to go. I never priced it out, but getting a good aftermarket unit plus the replacement center stack trim would be at least $1500?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/In-Dash-Android-4-1-Navigation-GPS-DVD-CD-Player-Radio-For-2010-Ford-Mustang-/161380839551?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3AMustang&hash=item25930c307f&vxp=mtr
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500KTXM...iring-Kit.html

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_142FD14...-Dash-Kit.html

http://www.americanmuscle.com/raxiom...8A6w&gclsrc=ds

I just never cared for the aftermarket solutions for replacing the center stack trim and how low the screen is on those. I retrofitted mine, just as Lexiion and others did, and love having it. Also much better to see the rear camera on the nav screen rather than on the mirror.

Last edited by jim010; 8/21/14 at 09:28 PM.
Old 8/22/14, 07:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Got the nav when I ordered my '14 GT (then again, I checked almost every box). Like the display, back up camera is nice...

Worth it? Pfft- its only money. If the discussion is about resale value, the entire car isn't "worth" what you paid for it! Over the course of time I will own my Mustang, I will get $2,300+ worth of enjoyment out of my navigation system (heck, I interact with the controls every day and enjoy seeing the screen).
Old 8/22/14, 07:14 PM
GT Member

If I had ordered mine new I would have passed on the electronics package, but the '13 I bought used came with it and I love it! The nav is easy to use once you get used to it and the dual zone climate control avoids a lot of arguments on the road. You can also control the climate control from the screen or via voice. It also has a built in jukebox with a 10 gig hard drive.
Old 8/22/14, 10:54 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I just downloaded the Sync Destinations app for Android and I'll try it tomorrow on a trip to SF Bay Area. I've been using Google Maps Navigation but then again I'm easily satisfied.
Old 8/23/14, 08:38 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by berzerk_1980
Another thing, I don't know if you are pursuing a manual or automatic, but the AC controls are sort of behind the shifter so it's good to have redundant controls on the touchscreen. Good luck with your decision!
I've never had an issue with this, ever, personally. As far as the heated seats, they're weak at best and one of the most disappointing things on the car. 1 setting only and it's not that warm.

Last edited by kylerohde; 8/23/14 at 10:52 PM.
Old 8/23/14, 09:18 AM
Cobra Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by kylerohde
I've never has an issue with this, ever, personally. As far as the heated seats, they're weak at best and one of the most disappointing things on the car. 1 setting only and it's not that warm.
Yeah, I have an auto and I haven't had a problem with this either.
Old 8/23/14, 01:44 PM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
For me, the built in Nav was a requirements.

Updates - Contrary to what JoeMidnight said -These units in the Mustang (2012, 2013 and now 104) have been receiving Annual updates. Cost is high ($150-$200), but they have been getting updated.

Theft - Using a Garmin/Magellan/TomTom - I always worried about someone breaking in and stealing it. Sometimes you forget to hide it when leaving the car and have to go back to the parking lot. Even if you hide the unit thiefs still seem to zero in on the mounts and/or circles from the suction cups on the windshield and know you have one hiding in their.

Map display - It HUGE compared to a smartphone. The small screen on a cell phone is dangerous (in my opinion) as you spend more time trying to read the little letters. And then it's always on - so even when not navigating I can do a quick glance at the screen and see how I can jump off on a side street to avoid construction or a traffic jam. So that's a big plus for me.

Other items - Electronics package is not just the Nav. The dual zone auto controls are a nice bonus (wife and I always have different temps set). I also like the different displays (like for music/radio/pandora). Plus a few other features make this a nice option (for me).

Note I just replaced my 2012 w/Nav Must with a new 2014.. and having the electronics package was a must for me.
Old 8/23/14, 01:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
I've never has an issue with this, ever, personally.

As far as the heated seats, they're weak at best and one of the most disappointing things on the car. 1 setting only and it's not that warm.
To be fair, I noticed this positioning while idling in a preview vehicle while the transmission was in park (selector all the way forward). I realized it probably wouldn't be an issue while driving but wasn't sure. On the manual I didn't know how it would affect the driver in gears 1, 3 and 5 and there were no manual cars left in town for me to test.

This may not have been rational but it was part of my decision to prefer the electronics package so I thought I'd mention it. Certainly a less important factor and I do appreciate the redundant controls. Not $2300 appreciate though.
Old 8/23/14, 01:56 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
I love the Nav. I can't imagine not having it.
Old 8/23/14, 02:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

As far as the heated seats, they're weak at best and one of the most disappointing things on the car. 1 setting only and it's not that warm.

I have to say I agree 100% with this... The heat seats were the only option my lovely wife asked me to include on the order form (and since I wanted the electronics package anyway, it was an easy way to score brownie points ).

However, as mentioned they are really not all that warm at all. They take a bit of the chill out of the seats in the winter- but they are definitely the weakest heaters I've had in the 10 or so cars I've owned with heated seats.
Old 8/23/14, 03:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I personally wouldn't want it for that price. I have a Garmin that does everything I want it to do with lifetime map updates and I can use it in my other vehicles. Updates for in-car navigation systems are outrageous IMO.

As far as duel climate control, I could care less. If someone who rides with me doesn't like the temp the car is at, they can close vents or deal with it. All of my other vehicles don't have it and we get along fine plus it's just something else that can malfunction. I purposely got a base model car so I had less things to break or malfunction and on the last car that I had that was fully loaded that had most of the extra stuff, I found that I hardly ever used it if at all.

Wayne
Old 8/23/14, 03:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Oh, and about the heated seats, I don't know about Canada but in the US they are a separate option ("comfort package"). I live in a hot climate so I can't really say whether they are adequate for cold weather.
Old 8/23/14, 06:25 PM
GT Member

Heated seats are great for your tired back on a long road trip. That's their real benefit (not heating up seats on a cold day). That said, the single setting (on/off) is like what I have on my old 2002 F250 and the Mustang doesn't even get as hot. Not as useful.

My 2012 $20k Focus came with 5 settings. There are several things on my cheaper 2012 Focus that out class my expensive Mustang. At over twice the cost you'd think they wouldn't skimp out on some of these features. I mean, the cost of a 5 setting switch instead of a button can't be more than a couple bucks on a $40k car. Disappointing.
Old 8/23/14, 09:54 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by skramblr
For me, the built in Nav was a requirements. Updates - Contrary to what JoeMidnight said -These units in the Mustang (2012, 2013 and now 104) have been receiving Annual updates. Cost is high ($150-$200), but they have been getting updated.
What I said was.... "the thing that bugs me the most is that we buy these navigation devices built into the car and will rarely seen any updates for them. They could be considered obsolete in just a matter of years." So basically. I am right. Because of how much it costs to update. They rarely get updated. I paid $80 for the TomTom only iPhone and have been receiving updates for the last 6 years (since I bought it) free. I guess, if your willing to pay what you have stated which is $150-$200, you too can have up to date maps.

Last edited by JoeMidnight; 8/23/14 at 09:59 PM.
Old 8/23/14, 10:07 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's not just a Nav, it's a full electronics package. That's why it costs so much. The technology that comes with the complete package is well worth the money, in my opinion. I wouldn't have paid it for just a Nav. Check out all the features and then decide.
Old 8/23/14, 10:12 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by DrDisney
It's not just a Nav, it's a full electronics package. That's why it costs so much. The technology that comes with the complete package is well worth the money, in my opinion. I wouldn't have paid it for just a Nav. Check out all the features and then decide.
Yeah. I really considered getting that as well as the glass roof. You can't go wrong if you really want something. Having a massive touchscreen display as your main entertainment is a plus in my books.

But i still scrapped it and as the OP was asking for everyone's input and opinion. I shared mine. If he or anyone else bought the electronics package with their cars, kudos to them.
Old 8/24/14, 06:34 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
I think some states will give you a ticket for using your cell phone, even for using the navigation. Just saying........
Old 8/24/14, 10:04 AM
Cobra Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by David Young
I think some states will give you a ticket for using your cell phone, even for using the navigation. Just saying........
I've herd California has that, but if you have your phone mounted where a gps would be are that really going to tell the difference.
Old 8/24/14, 10:32 AM
Cobra Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
Typically the states that ban cell phone use while driving ban talking on a 'hand-held' cell phone. Many of the states also have laws against having something mounted to your windshield, but they seem to be secondary offenses - that is you can be ticketed for it but only if you are stopped and ticketed for something else like speeding. I've driven in most of the continental states with either my phone or a tablet mounted to my windshield and using a nav app and never had a problem. My tablet does a great job for me in the Ram mount and I don't have to look down to see the screen and take my eyes off the road, so I feel it is safer. I used to hang it about where the Ford nav screen would be, so I know what it is like to have to look down.

As to value of the electronics package with dual zone climate control. we have that in our Accord sedan and never have the temps set more than a few degrees apart, and that is probably inadvertent. I understand that for some that would be a big deal but not for us.

I do appreciate the heated seat that come in the Comfort Package. That package also includes a power passenger's seat and that is a very nice addition.

Quick Reply: Is Nav worth the Price?