Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Is Nav worth the Price?

Search this Thread

Old 8/20/14, 10:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Is Nav worth the Price?

I've been thinking of buying a 2014 GT with or with out Electronics package which includes Nav for $2300 Cdn. Just wondering if it's a worthwhile option for the price or just buy a Garmin if the need arrives? I realize it also comes with dual zone heat which I don't really need as I don't drive the car in winter. Heated seats will definitely be included in my options though. The other options I will definitely have are RR Sensing Sys/Security, GT Brake Perf Racing Package and Rear View Camera.

Thought's on the quality of the Electronics Package option?
Old 8/20/14, 11:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Lime GT
I've been thinking of buying a 2014 GT with or with out Electronics package which includes Nav for $2300 Cdn. Just wondering if it's a worthwhile option for the price or just buy a Garmin if the need arrives? I realize it also comes with dual zone heat which I don't really need as I don't drive the car in winter. Heated seats will definitely be included in my options though. The other options I will definitely have are RR Sensing Sys/Security, GT Brake Perf Racing Package and Rear View Camera.

From a value perspective, overpriced. I'm glad I sprung for it though, does that make sense?

Like I feel it was $1000 more than it should've been, but I'd miss it if I didn't have it.

I also wish it was more powerful. Like my boss has a Tesla with always on 3g and the nav screen can do anything. That's what I think you should get for $2300.

Another thing, I don't know if you are pursuing a manual or automatic, but the AC controls are sort of behind the shifter so it's good to have redundant controls on the touchscreen.

Good luck with your decision!
Old 8/20/14, 11:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks for reply. The trans will definitely be a manual.
Old 8/20/14, 11:40 PM
Cobra Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I didn't got for the NAV. My dad has the same system in his escape and it's ok but if I need directions I'll just use my iphone.
Old 8/20/14, 11:41 PM
Cobra Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
I use Sygic on a Google Nexus 7 with a Ram mount. Maps and POIs of the whole world are less than $100 with free lifetime updates. The android app is free. And you can have turn-by-turn directions spoken to you in a variety of languages.
Old 8/21/14, 01:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by tukatz
I use Sygic on a Google Nexus 7 with a Ram mount. Maps and POIs of the whole world are less than $100 with free lifetime updates. The android app is free. And you can have turn-by-turn directions spoken to you in a variety of languages.
OK, I don't mean to thread jack but I think this is tangentially relevant to the decision and it bugs the heck out of me. Can you get the Nexus 7 to play the instructions through the stereo? Can you get the tablet to interrupt, say, terrestrial radio to tell you it's time to turn? It seems that if I try to use Google Maps for example, I have to leave the system on Bluetooth which means I can't listen to any other audio source but my phone.
Old 8/21/14, 01:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need help does anyone know if I can put or buy a boss front bumper for a 2010 mustang v6?
Old 8/21/14, 05:18 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
I love mine. The screen is also used with the reverse camera. You can watch a DVD on it if 'stopped'.
Old 8/21/14, 06:20 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by berzerk_1980
OK, I don't mean to thread jack but I think this is tangentially relevant to the decision and it bugs the heck out of me. Can you get the Nexus 7 to play the instructions through the stereo? Can you get the tablet to interrupt, say, terrestrial radio to tell you it's time to turn? It seems that if I try to use Google Maps for example, I have to leave the system on Bluetooth which means I can't listen to any other audio source but my phone.
Bluetooth audio streaming. If the vehicle has Bluetooth audio streaming then the instructions will come through the stereo.

I just use Sync Services paired with Sync Destinations App. on my phone. works great. For me, Nav was a personal choice. I'm not a fan of touch screens (always having to clean them. fingerprints, etc.) and I like the smaller display.
Old 8/21/14, 06:42 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lime GT

I heavily considered it as well. I didn't get it myself. felt like for the money they want, you can get peripherals (tablet, smartphone, GPS device) for WAYYYY less.

the thing that bugs me the most is that we buy these navigation devices built into the car and will rarely seen any updates for them. They could be considered obsolete in just a matter of years.

Good luck.

I just use the tomtom on my iphone, free updates for life and works wonders.
Old 8/21/14, 08:14 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I've got the nav in mine. I think it looks nice and I haven't used the nav once. Its a pain to input addresses and I use my phone and sync to find addresses.

I also bought my car used and it was fully loaded. Buying new I'd only want sync. You can add an aftermarket touchscreen deck and the harness and dash kit for less than $700. It will perform way better and is expandableif yyou wanted to add sub's and amps.
Old 8/21/14, 08:25 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just use my phone. My wifes car has Navand she also just uses her phone.
Im probably in the minority but I also dont think backup camera is worth the money. I just look out of the windows and use mirrors.

Before everyone comes in here with all these harrowing tales of shopping cart near avoidance due to the Apache gunship reverse camera technology....... I seem to be doing fine without it.
Old 8/21/14, 09:11 AM
Cobra Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by berzerk_1980
I haven't figured out how to do that without losing my music source - a USB thumb drive through Sync. However, with the way I have mine mounted I can hear the instructions just fine.

Old 8/21/14, 10:29 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 773 Likes on 565 Posts
What a new car? I hope you are keeping the booger? I would also pass on the 2300 nav system. Google maps through my dumb phone works great when I don't have my 78.00 tomtom. Man think about what mods can be had for that kind of cash.
Old 8/21/14, 03:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 547 Likes on 355 Posts
To me it was worth it just to not freeze to death in the summer and burn up in the winter since my wife has her own temperature control
Old 8/21/14, 04:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

I think I'll cautiously stay away from the Nav System. After reading comments the price seems too high. I'm not sure map updates would be free for life, as Garmin is, I understand. The dual climate control comment just triggered my memory with the issue's I had with Ford denying a warranty claim on my 05's climate control not allowing air heat to the floor when in floor mode and too much air flow heat in defrost. They wouldn't change the control module for me, even just to verify, so I used one from a 07 GT and all airflow problems were solved. I'd hate to be saddled trying to fix a climate control issue through the Nav System.

Thanks for all replies.
Old 8/21/14, 05:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
More and more cars are starting to come with all kinds of LCD screen-infotainment systems stock, just look at Dodge Charger. I like that system, if you want Navigation in it ,its just about 600-700 bucks, and if your car didn't come with it, then its ok, its just a small firmware update, and there you go, now your car has navigation installed into the already existing infotainment system (Uconnect).
I think the price of 2300 is too much for what you get, the navigation in this day and age should not be more then 700 buck option, I skipped on it when I was buying my car.
Do I wish I had it? yes, but when it comes down to money, the whole package is overpriced.
Old 8/21/14, 06:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
The thing many people miss is that the electronic package not only gives you NAV but other items like dual climate control. Dual climate control is worth every penny if you ever take road trips with your Mrs. A cel phone or aftermarket NAV can't give you dual climate control.

Last edited by Cdvision; 8/21/14 at 06:37 PM.
Old 8/21/14, 07:53 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Cdvision
The thing many people miss is that the electronic package not only gives you NAV but other items like dual climate control. Dual climate control is worth every penny if you ever take road trips with your Mrs. A cel phone or aftermarket NAV can't give you dual climate control.
Haha it's a small cabin just turn or shut the vents off. $2300 dollars can get you a nice after market head unit.
Old 8/21/14, 07:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
$2300 for nav is insane. That's a nice set of new wheels right there.

Quick Reply: Is Nav worth the Price?