2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

MyKey/No Track App

Search this Thread

Old 11/4/16, 08:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MyKey/No Track App

I am sure this question has been asked numerous times and I apologize in advance. I just traded in my 2012 Camaro SS(Twin Turbo) for a 2013 Mustang GT.

My car did not come with the track package but every other Mustang I looked at without the track package at least had the track app. Mine does not. I only received one key with the car and whoever owned it before me has the speed warning at 80 MPH, radio mutes with no seatbelt (I only know this because the manual said something about it so I wanted to test it out. I do wear my seatbelt when driving) and whatever else may be turned on or off. Is it possible I have the track app on the dash and it is just turned off?

I went to the Ford dealership today and was told you need at least 2 keys to change the settings of the MyKey function. They said a spare key was around $200 and then to program was another $200. I find it hard to believe that getting a spare key alone is $200. I found one on Amazon for $25. Can I buy the key from Amazon and have Ford program it or do I need to do everything through Ford?
Old 11/4/16, 08:23 PM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,088 Likes on 788 Posts
You will need a real Ford key. Might check if the dealer will cut and program if you don't buy from them. I only have one of the dealers of five that will allow this. Dealer will have to program since you only have one key. Good luck!
Old 11/4/16, 08:26 PM

I was just reading on a forum that a guy in the same situation as me was able to buy a key off ebay and then have a locksmith cut and program the key.

Now I have to figure out why I don't have the track app on the dash.
Old 11/5/16, 03:58 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 550 Likes on 356 Posts
I have heard of people getting keys programmed and cut from a locksmith.
As for the Track apps, it can be turned off with the My Key, so you will need the second key so it can be the Master.
I would go back to where ever I bought it and see what they can do.
Old 11/5/16, 10:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Congrats and welcome aboard to the real Stable.

The 'Track-pack' and the Track 'App' have no relations as far as I know, the premium vs the base. Do you have the Analog gauges in the middle?
Old 11/5/16, 06:43 PM

Update.... I bought a key for $20 off the internet and had a locksmith come to the car today. For $90 I got the key cut and programed. The car does have the track app!!

The Ford dealership quoted me close to $400. I'm glad I did some research before I paid that amount.
Old 11/14/16, 12:01 AM

Here is the website I got the key from. The Ebay keys should work, but I know for sure this one will.

http://www.keyfobmall.com/2013-Ford-Mustang-Key-Fob-with-4-Buttons-p/2013-ford-mustang-793-key.html
Old 11/23/16, 04:09 PM

The Track App only comes with the Premium version of the Mustang; it has nothing to do with the Track Pack. So if it is possible to buy a non-Premium car with the Track Pack (I believe so), then indeed, you will not have the Track Apps.

I heard the Track Apps feature was stolen from the Dodge Challenger. And I don't think it's available on the Camaros.

As for the FOB keys with working buttons, you need two keys to program more keys yourself. They explain how to do it in the Ford manual. You can program a maximum of 4 keys with the buttons working, any more and the immobilizer will work and the car will start, but the buttons will be non-functional. This means you can only program two more keys with the buttons working, since the two from the dealer ate up two of the four allowed, when the car was programmed off the production line.

That's why if you want to make more keys yourself, you don't want to lose one of the two keys they give you at the dealer. Make sure you make more keys before this happens otherwise you are s+%$ up the creek.

In my case, I have six keys total. I programmed two more myself (with all buttons working), and the last two will start the car but the buttons don't work. I did this to hide a key under the car, and I didn't want to sacrifice one of my good keys with all buttons working.

As far as making a spare key, you don't have to go to the dealer. Just find a savvy keysmith who is new in town and wants to drum up business bad. He will have a laptop computer that can program the key; just get a blank. It might be a similar process to what elite car thieves use to steal cars with immobilizers.

I might add that most of the local keyshops in your town who have been around a long time might be like mine, and they won't cut a key unless you buy the blank from them. It's sorta akin to price fixing if you ask me, and I was really upset with this. But I was able to find a new keysmith to the area who was able to cut a key for my Honda Accord daily driver. I bought the car used, and it only came with one key.

As for the Ford FOB blanks, lot of the cheap stuff on Ebay is you get what you pay for. If you Google around, you might be able to find OEM Ford blanks for around $85. They are way more expensive from the dealer ($150 I think). I then programmed spare keys myself on the Mustang.

For the 5th and 6th keys I programmed myself, with the non-working buttons, I bought cheap, generic blanks off Ebay since the buttons won't be functional anyway.

Last edited by Clevor; 11/23/16 at 04:13 PM.