Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

My Latest Power, "Safety", and Aesthetic Mods...

Search this Thread

Old 8/26/14, 09:57 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Horspla
Any idea how hot the fogs get? My Clear Bra guy didn't want to put anything over them for fear it would melt and discolor. He showed me burned film they had removed from other fogs and told me if I wanted him to do it for me I was on my own if it burned. I left them unprotected for now.

John
John... couple things.

Lamin X is a trusted name in euro road racing, etc... for all types of lights. Their films are thick and I would "assume" since a lot of folks, pros, etc, run them, surpass heating requirements from lights.

Secondly, I have clear bra (3M/Llumar) on all my cars headlights. They were made for them. Had them on for over 3 years. No light deterioration, nor melting, nor degrading, nor peeling of any kind. Its purpose is to protect from chips/bugs/damage from debris. Works wonderfully.
Old 8/26/14, 09:57 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Any idea how hot the fogs get? My Clear Bra guy didn't want to put anything over them for fear it would melt and discolor. He showed me burned film they had removed from other fogs and told me if I wanted him to do it for me I was on my own if it burned. I left them unprotected for now. John
He has LED bulbs so he should be fine. They are so much cooler than halogens, and even HIDs.
Old 8/26/14, 10:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I hear you guys but they got me real paranoid when I saw that melted film. He didn't say if it was a cheapo film the owner bought or if it was 3M Clear Bra like they use. I'm thinking I'm going to run the lights for a bit and check the temp with the my infra red heat gun. What type of lights come stock in the '13 fogs? I'd really like to have something on them like the rest of the front end for protection.

I've heard a lot of good things about Lamin-X...

John

Last edited by Horspla; 8/26/14 at 10:07 AM.
Old 8/26/14, 10:13 AM
I Have No Life

I hear you guys but they got me real paranoid when I saw that melted film. He didn't say if it was a cheapo film the owner bought or if it was 3M Clear Bra like they use. I'm thinking I'm going to run the lights for a bit and check the temp with the my infra red heat gun. What type of lights come stock in the '13 fogs? I'd really like to have something on them like the rest of the front end for protection.

John
Another case in point... once my halos are in, I'll probably rarely run the fogs at all. Just the halos. Center/focus of attention So those are COB LED's, and run a lot cooler than Halogen bulbs/LED bulbs.
Old 8/26/14, 10:18 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
What type of lights come stock in the '13 fogs? I'd really like to have something on them like the rest of the front end for protection. I've heard a lot of good things about Lamin-X... John
They are LED from a reputable LED manufacturer in the US ;-)
Old 8/26/14, 10:38 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I hear you guys but they got me real paranoid when I saw that melted film. He didn't say if it was a cheapo film the owner bought or if it was 3M Clear Bra like they use. I'm thinking I'm going to run the lights for a bit and check the temp with the my infra red heat gun. What type of lights come stock in the '13 fogs? I'd really like to have something on them like the rest of the front end for protection. I've heard a lot of good things about Lamin-X... John
Get thicker film for lights. I've seen melted tint too. It's the cheap thin film, sold by major box stores, who may or may not be supporting vendors on this site. Lamin-X is top of the line stuff, used all over the world. I had my yellow tint on my 00 V6 with 55w HIDs for 6 years and it did not melt. My Escape has 35w HIDs in the fogs and the same yellow tint. No issues.
Old 8/26/14, 10:50 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by laserred38
Get thicker film for lights. I've seen melted tint too. It's the cheap thin film, sold by major box stores, who may or may not be supporting vendors on this site. Lamin-X is top of the line stuff, used all over the world. I had my yellow tint on my 00 V6 with 55w HIDs for 6 years and it did not melt. My Escape has 35w HIDs in the fogs and the same yellow tint. No issues.
But I heard it melts through black electrical tape, so you're in trouble hehehehehe
Old 8/26/14, 12:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5
But I heard it melts through black electrical tape, so you're in trouble hehehehehe
Roh Roh...I'm not even gonna ask about the story behind that one~
Old 8/26/14, 12:35 PM
I Have No Life

Roh Roh...I'm not even gonna ask about the story behind that one~
Patrick hasn't read that specific post yet. Wait till he reads it. I'll let him expand on it
Old 8/28/14, 08:13 PM
I Have No Life

Package arrived today, and install is complete. I absolutely love the result. Dechromed/black housing, with 6000k halo COB's. I don't even need the fogs on.

Many thanks to Jeff from Demonized Designs, and Nick from Diode Dynamics. Thread to give them props, coming up.

Meanwhile, here's the pics at dusk.

I will be tinting the fogs, headlights, and side markers on Saturday. So here's what she will look like Saturday.

And here's the pics of them lit...

I much prefer no fog lights… just halos.

And here she is all tucked away… waiting to pounce another day.

Last edited by FromZto5; 8/28/14 at 08:20 PM.
Old 8/28/14, 10:53 PM
Cobra Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
pretty sick brah
Old 8/29/14, 05:22 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 537 Likes on 420 Posts
Meh .... I guess it looks alright .... lol
Old 8/29/14, 05:29 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by xtc.inc
pretty sick brah
thanks man.

Originally Posted by Gabe
Meh .... I guess it looks alright .... lol
LOL Gabe… that's it, I'm repainting it SGM.
Old 8/29/14, 05:32 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 537 Likes on 420 Posts
Originally Posted by FromZto5

LOL Gabe… that's it, I'm repainting it SGM.
Now THAT would be a mod worth doing and a HUGE improvement in the car's looks!
Old 8/29/14, 09:59 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

John
I bought the Laminex covers for our cars. I just haven't installed them yet. I've used them before on other cars without issue and although the way our lights are positioned there should be less UV damage (clouding) over time, they will still protect against rock chips and help stop damage to the housing. Replacing a headlamp assembly isn't cheap. Also, they come with a bottle of UV protectant you can apply when detailing the car to help keep them in pristine condition.

BTW I love the halos. Were they a retrofit or replacement?

Last edited by Critical Mass; 8/29/14 at 10:11 AM.
Old 8/29/14, 10:01 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Critical Mass
I bought the Laminex covers for our cars. I just haven't installed them yet. I've used them before on other cars without issue and although the way our lights are positioned there should be less UV damage (clouding) over time, they will still protect against rock chips and help stop damage to the housing. Replacing a headlamp assembly isn't cheap. Also, they come with a bottle of UV protectant you can apply when detailing the car to help keep them in pristine condition.
Yep. They actually used to include 303 Aerospace. And our 13-14 headlights are about $900 a piece from a dealer...
Old 8/29/14, 10:06 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by laserred38
Yep. They actually used to include 303 Aerospace. And our 13-14 headlights are about $900 a piece from a dealer...
Patrick... fyi, I switched to gunsmoke for fogs and sidemarkers. Look at my photoshop. Darker the better. You were right. (Here goes your big head )
Old 8/29/14, 10:50 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Saw them on instagram, Definitely like them.
Old 8/29/14, 10:59 AM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks for the info Critical Mass. I'm getting more confidence the Lamin-x film will work without issues.

Burton the halo's look nice but a bigger hit for me are the blacked out reflectors (Daytime pix when you get a chance please). I'm guessing they are not as bright at night as the chrome was...not that I drive at night much in my Mustang.

It's about time you tinted the side markers...sheesh! I guess I should talk, I've have film kits for mine over a year now and still haven't applied them.

Two questions for you: What is your favorite polish/sealant/wax for dark to black cars? And, when you were shopping for superchargers did you consider the Kenne Bell twin screw?

John
Old 8/29/14, 01:59 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by rmurer
Saw them on instagram, Definitely like them.
Thanks Russ! I can't believe I only discovered Instagram last month lol.

Thanks for the info Critical Mass. I'm getting more confidence the Lamin-x film will work without issues. Burton the halo's look nice but a bigger hit for me are the blacked out reflectors (Daytime pix when you get a chance please). I'm guessing they are not as bright at night as the chrome was...not that I drive at night much in my Mustang. It's about time you tinted the side markers...sheesh! I guess I should talk, I've have film kits for mine over a year now and still haven't applied them. Two questions for you: What is your favorite polish/sealant/wax for dark to black cars? And, when you were shopping for superchargers did you consider the Kenne Bell twin screw? John
John, I would agree. The dechromed/black fog light housings are key! I will get some pics of daytime shots today after work. Sidemarkers, yes I will tint tomorrow. Package is shipping and should be here by then.

As far as polish, I use menzerna. The best. Sealant is 4star and blackfire. Wax is dodo supernatural and Victoria red. Remember though, always clay and buff and deswirl before sealing and waxing

Quick Reply: My Latest Power, "Safety", and Aesthetic Mods...